Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Midnight Sky (2020, D: Clooney) S: Clooney, Jones, Chandler, Oyelowo, Bichir -- Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Midnight Sky (2020, D: Clooney) S: Clooney, Jones, Chandler, Oyelowo, Bichir -- Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-19, 02:29 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Netflix is ramping up its star power. The streamer said Monday that two-time Oscar winner George Clooney is attached to direct and star in a feature based on Lily Brooks-Dalton’s 2016 novel Good Morning, Midnight, which was adapted for screen by The Revenant scribe Mark L. Smith.

Clooney and producing partner Grant Heslov are producing the pic under their Smokehouse Pictures banner with Anonymous Content and Syndicate Entertainment, who sourced the material. Production is slated to begin in October.

The post-apocalyptic plot follows the parallel stories of Augustine (Clooney), a lonely scientist in the Arctic, as he races to make contact with the crew of the Aether spacecraft as they try to return home to Earth.

Published via Random House in 2016, Good Morning, Midnight was named one of the best books of the year by Shelf Awareness and the Chicago Review of Books.

“Grant and I couldn’t be more excited to be involved with this incredible project,” said Clooney. “Mark is a writer we’ve long admired and his script is haunting. We’re thrilled to be working with our friends at Netflix as well.”

“Having known and worked with George for over two decades, I can’t think of anyone better to bring this amazing story to life,” said Netflix film boss Scott Stuber. “The book is powerful and moving, and Mark’s adaptation is beautifully written. At its core, this is a story about human nature, and one that I know our global audiences will fall in love with, just like I did when I read it.”

Currently, Smokehouse has its six-part limited series Catch-22, streaming on Hulu. The show is based on the Joseph Heller’s World War II novel. Clooney and Heslov serve as executive producers and directed a couple of episodes. Past Smokehouse titles include Oscar-winning film Argo, Good Night and Good Luck (which picked up six Oscar nominations including Best Picture and a Best Director nom for Clooney), The Ides of March, Money Monster, August: Osage County, The American and Suburbicon.
https://deadline.com/2019/06/george-...ix-1202636253/
Old 06-25-19, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: The Midnight Sky (2020, D: Clooney) S: Clooney, Jones, Chandler, Oyelowo, Bichir -- Netflix

I like Clooney and he usually picks winners.
I'll NF this when it's released.
Old 06-25-19, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
re: The Midnight Sky (2020, D: Clooney) S: Clooney, Jones, Chandler, Oyelowo, Bichir -- Netflix

Sounds interesting.
Old 10-27-20, 07:20 AM

Re: The Midnight Sky (2020, D: Clooney) S: Clooney, Jones, Chandler, Oyelowo, Bichir -- Netflix

This post-apocalyptic tale follows Augustine (George Clooney), a lonely scientist in the Arctic, as he races to stop Sully (Felicity Jones) and her fellow astronauts from returning home to Earth, where a mysterious global catastrophe has taken place. Clooney directs the adaptation of Lily Brooks-Dalton’s acclaimed novel Good Morning, Midnight, co-starring David Oyelowo, Kyle Chandler, Demián Bichir and Tiffany Boone. Coming to Netflix December 23rd.
Old 10-27-20, 10:36 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: The Midnight Sky (2020, D: Clooney) S: Clooney, Jones, Chandler, Oyelowo, Bichir -- Netflix

Looks very Interstellar-ish, but with a more coherent storyline. Looks damn good.
Old 10-27-20, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Wow, that looks right up my alley. Looking forward to it.
Old 10-27-20, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Clooney as director has never really impressed me but that looks really good!

I hope that last shot in the trailer isn’t a spoiler.
Old 12-10-20, 10:18 AM

Reviews: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_midnight_sky
Old 12-10-20, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

I'm watching. Hope it's good.
Old 12-22-20, 02:39 PM

This is out tomorrow.
Old 12-23-20, 02:39 PM

I thought this was pretty dull, especially when Clooney was saying it’s like Gravity meets The Revenant.

The ending was contrived.

And it was distracting and weird as fuck for Clooney to dub his voice over the actor (Discovery Spock) playing the younger version of his character.

Last edited by dex14; 12-23-20 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-23-20, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea agree it was well done and ok acted but story was just off for me a bit I guess. Kid was great but meh.
Old 12-23-20, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I’m curious to hear of any opinions of how it compares to the book. It’s been in my “to be read” stack for a while and I’m wondering if I should read it before watching, or if it’s enough of it’s own thing to not really matter.
Old 12-24-20, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I actually liked this quite a bit. It wasn’t perfect, it felt uneven between the two main stories and the “twist” was pretty obvious from the beginning but I didn’t find it dull at all. There were plenty of tense moments that kept me engaged throughout.

I certainly wouldn’t compare the Arctic scenes to The Revenant but I can see comparisons to Gravity with the space scenes. I wonder how much Clooney was inspired by Cuarón when they worked together? Although the weird spiderweb ship design was a bold choice.

I’m not sure I would have the urge to re-watch this but it kept me interested on at least the one go-round.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 12-24-20 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-24-20, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Watched it last night. It was decent but nothing groundbreaking. I did like how the space ship was apparently made of some sort of material that could absorb impacts and redistribute the force. That was pretty cool. I didn't put it together about the reveal but my wife did. Sort of a massive bummer ending though.

Last edited by Deftones; 12-24-20 at 03:12 PM.
Old 12-24-20, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

This was a dull, pointless letdown.

I can't say I figured out the twist, but I was so disinterested by the end that I didn't really care.
Old 12-24-20, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
This was a dull, pointless letdown.

I can't say I figured out the twist, but I was so disinterested by the end that I didn't really care.
Exactly.

Ugh...terrible all round and snooze inducing.
Old 12-24-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

The reveal wasn't so much a surprise as I figured she was a figment to start.. just making the connection down the road. It was kind of meh.
Old 12-26-20, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea I figured it very early on too but the dead give away was when they start out on their journey notice her face she has no impact from the cold and ice but Clooney looks like being out in it is killing him.
Old 12-28-20, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

The first half of this was good. The LONG portion on the ship where they had to fix the radar was painfully slow.

I know it had no basis on the story they were trying to tell but it annoyed me that we never learned what actually happened to cause everything. Are we supposed to assume that everyone on Earth is dead by the unknown reason the movie never explains?
The following users liked this post:
Deftones (12-28-20)
Old 12-28-20, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan
I know it had no basis on the story they were trying to tell but it annoyed me that we never learned what actually happened to cause everything. Are we supposed to assume that everyone on Earth is dead by the unknown reason the movie never explains?
I initially assumed it was some worldwide plague that took everyone down but then the space crew saw the brown clouds around the Earth and I guess you have to figure world killed itself with nuclear war or something.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 12-28-20 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-28-20, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I initially assumed it was some worldwide plague that took everyone down but then the space crew saw the brown clouds around the Earth and I guess you have to world killed itself with nuclear war or something.
There was also that scene where Clooney was getting started to the more northern dish and said something like "it wasn't supposed to be here this quickly", or something to that effect. That and the early map they showed with red circles growing also makes me think it was some nuclear war and he was talking about radiation fallout. But still, how hard would it have been to give us like 2 minutes explaining why he's in that situation?

Also, seeing Chandler in such a small role was weird for some reason. I kept thinking he would be involved in some twist since he's almost always a main character in the films/shows he does.
Old 12-28-20, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

But they also had to have respirators. Said you couldn't breathe outside without it. Seems you wouldn't need one in nuclear fallout. A viral plague seemed more logical to me.

But yeah, it would have been nice to know what was killing everyone.
Old 12-28-20, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
But they also had to have respirators. Said you couldn't breathe outside without it. Seems you wouldn't need one in nuclear fallout. A viral plague seemed more logical to me.

But yeah, it would have been nice to know what was killing everyone.
True but then why would everyone leave the secluded station where they could live? Just to die with family who's been infected? At the beginning, one guy joked that a terminal cancer patient would be the last living person on Earth. No one scenario really makes sense with how they laid out the story.
Old 12-28-20, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Noonan
True but then why would everyone leave the secluded station where they could live? Just to die with family who's been infected? At the beginning, one guy joked that a terminal cancer patient would be the last living person on Earth. No one scenario really makes sense with how they laid out the story.
Yeah who the hell knows. The more you think about it, the less it makes sense. Lol
The following users liked this post:
Noonan (12-28-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.