Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney/Pixar's Soul (2020, D: Docter) -- V: Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney/Pixar's Soul (2020, D: Docter) -- V: Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey

Old 12-29-20, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 837 Likes on 617 Posts
Re: Disney/Pixar's Soul (2020, D: Docter) -- V: Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey

I would have enjoyed this more if there was no afterlife parts and it was one of his middle school students who helped him realize his missteps with life outlook.
Old 12-29-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

It’s also kind of funny that the movie has these “deep truths” that come out at the end about what it means to live, that one’s dreams are not one’s purpose - but it’s just coming from people writing a script in California, living life just like the rest of us. They could have just as easily written a different “epiphany”, or drawn any other number of conclusions which would also resonate with people.
Old 12-29-20, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 313 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I would have enjoyed this more if there was no afterlife parts and it was one of his middle school students who helped him realize his missteps with life outlook.
I kind of feel the same way. I hated all the parts of the movie that took place in the afterlife...I liked most of the movie that took place on Earth. Still, this felt to me like a good idea for a Pixar short that got stretched into a feature...I was bored by a lot of it and surprised by none of it.
Old 01-05-21, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 907 Likes on 633 Posts

Soul is an incredible masterpiece of art and representative of what the medium is really capable of. This. This is why I love Pixar/Disney. As much (deserved) crap as they get for being a multi billion dollar media conglomerate I believe they still believe in the artistry of their medium. I've found that Pixar is at their best when you see the concept and the trailer of the movie and you kind of go, "What the hell kind of movie is that?". I've said it many times before; a movie about a lost fish? A movie about a cooking rat? A movie staring an old man? They are at their best when they are at their least marketable and what could possibly less marketable than death and jazz? But they don't let that stand in the way of crafting a story and this movie was certainly crafted. The visuals were incredible. From the subtle details in the "real life" to the unique style of the great beyond and the great before, the visual style really pulls you in to Joe's journey. The audio was incredible too from inspired sound design and the even more inspired sound track really melded together to bring both worlds to life. I really appreciated how the film really took the time to have dialogue. In animation each second of screen time costs so much money so the pace is usually going at a pretty fast clip. But in Soul some of my favorite scenes are just moments of dialogue. The whole scene at the barber and his conversation with his mother, IMHO were pivotal not just in the movie but in animation in general. They were both relatively simple scenes of just dialogue that felt so natural and real. That to me is Soul's greatest achievement is how genuine this movie felt. The performances were incredible and the celebrity voices just blended into their respective characters. The way they shot his performance with Dorothea was mesmerizing to me. Just the detail of how all the performers were perfectly put together at the beginning but as the night wore on you could see their skin glisten with more sweat as they got more and more involved with the performance and music. It was nothing short of magical to see a scene like this crafted in computer animation.

This movie definitely belongs among the top tier of Pixar movies along side Up, Inside Out, Coco and Wall-E.
The following users liked this post:
The Questyen (01-05-21)
Old 01-05-21, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Agree. Gorgeous animation. Great vocal work. Well done. Wish it didn’t feel so much like Inside Out to me because that was a modern classic and this will pale in comparison, though it is a very fine movie in its own right. And probably the one “popular “ movie that has a legitimate shot at a Best Picture nomination this year.
After watching the Wonder Woman movie yesterday I needed this to restore my faith in the industry.

Anyone else watch the new short, Burrow? I was not charmed or impressed with that one.
IMHO it didn't really feel like Inside Out. Not to a large degree anyways. It's still a Pete Doctor movie dealing with life but it has it's own distinct feel to it. Not that it has much competition but to me it's hands down the best movie I've seen in a long time. Definitely best of 2020.

Burrow was interesting. The visual style was interesting, like a mix between Beatrix Potter and Miyazaki. But the story was just kind of eh...I think I like it more when they focus on some kind of unique and simple gimmick. Geri's game is still one of the best because it's so simple. And BTW all the Jerrys/Geris were likely an homage to that short that was animated by Pete Doctor.
Old 01-14-21, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,116 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I sort of agree with this. I liked the movie for the most part, but the parts in the afterlife and before life were my least favorite aspects. The movie just felt kind of dull in those parts for some reason.

You could have done almost the same story had it just all been Joe alive and finding inspiration through a student. Still could have had a lot of the same beats. It felt a bit like the film was trying hard to be heavy with its message.

Still overall pretty good though. The voice acting was good by everyone and I liked the message.
Old 01-14-21, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,004 Likes on 797 Posts

I think Doctor was having an existential crisis and wanted to explore it the way he did. I'm not a fan of the design here or from Inside Out but I did enjoy both movies.
Old 04-21-21, 02:11 PM

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Old 04-21-21, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 198 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I sort of agree with this. I liked the movie for the most part, but the parts in the afterlife and before life were my least favorite aspects. The movie just felt kind of dull in those parts for some reason.

You could have done almost the same story had it just all been Joe alive and finding inspiration through a student. Still could have had a lot of the same beats. It felt a bit like the film was trying hard to be heavy with its message.
if so, then they could also have done it live-action.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (04-28-21)
Old 04-28-21, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DWilson
if so, then they could also have done it live-action.
Exactly. The before and after life really lend Soul it's charm and allowed Pixar to experiment a lot with the look, sound and feel of the movie and without it it just wouldn't be a Pixar movie.
Old 12-05-23, 12:09 PM

Received 4,450 Likes on 3,018 Posts

Getting a theatrical release on January 12.