Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney/Pixar's Soul (2020, D: Docter) -- V: Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Disney/Pixar's Soul (2020, D: Docter) -- V: Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey

Old 12-26-20, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 697 Likes on 507 Posts
Re: Disney/Pixar's Soul (2020, D: Docter) -- V: Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
I thought one of the messages of the movie is that there is no "single purpose". Joe was down on teaching because he believed he was supposed to be performing, yet once he got that he still wasn't satisfied. It wasn't until he finally appreciated all the experiences of his life and the people he knew that felt peace.
And ready to die once that is fulfilled, so that 22 could live. And 22 becomes an old soul. 22 had been around so long that that it felt weird for 'her' to be among the new souls. And I'm not sold over the predetermined, unique personalities and mentoring. 22 finds out that it's thru experiences, that 'she's' found a will to live on Earth. And Joe just seemed so self absorbed with this dream, that he's ok with giving it up once obtained? I dunno, it just felt...
Old 12-27-20, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 281 Likes on 206 Posts

This was a wonderful film. Everything about it was perfect to me. Beautiful animation, great voice work (especially from Fox and Fey), engaging story and touching ending. I absolutely loved it.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (01-05-21)
Old 12-27-20, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 5,927 Likes on 4,044 Posts

Agree. Gorgeous animation. Great vocal work. Well done. Wish it didnít feel so much like Inside Out to me because that was a modern classic and this will pale in comparison, though it is a very fine movie in its own right. And probably the one ďpopular ď movie that has a legitimate shot at a Best Picture nomination this year.
After watching the Wonder Woman movie yesterday I needed this to restore my faith in the industry.

Anyone else watch the new short, Burrow? I was not charmed or impressed with that one.
Old 12-27-20, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
And probably the one ďpopular ď movie that has a legitimate shot at a Best Picture nomination this year. After watching the Wonder Woman movie yesterday I needed this to restore my faith in the industry.
Ugh, same. Thankful I saw "Soul" afterwards. Wiping "Wonder Woman" from my mind. As much as I think "Soul" deserves the Oscar for Best Animated Film, I have a feeling "Wolfwalkers" is going to win. And I haven't seen it yet. But reviews for that are very strong for that too.
Old 12-27-20, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 393 Likes on 316 Posts

I really liked Soul, but I'm expecting greatness from Pixar, so a good movie like this one, is not what I was hoping for. This sounds way to negative, but to me the movie missed the special something, that made Monster Inc., the Toy Stories and other Pixar movies so great.
Nevertheless Soul is one of the best movies of 2020. I was surprised how "adult" the movie is. I would think there are hardly any themes appealing to kids, which is fine with me.
Old 12-27-20, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 644 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
I really liked Soul, but I'm expecting greatness from Pixar, so a good movie like this one, is not what I was hoping for. This sounds way to negative, but to me the movie missed the special something, that made Monster Inc., the Toy Stories and other Pixar movies so great...
But it's better than the Cars movies and The Good Dinosaur, yes?
Old 12-27-20, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Not sure how I cared for some of the messages in this one. That was a lot of crap heaped upon 22 who was a mashup of Joy and Disgust. It's ok to not have a purpose, but one shouldn't give up their dream. Not sure why Joe couldn't be both a music teacher and in the jazz quartet.
I think the idea isn't 'give up on your dream," but that your dream isn't your purpose in life, and single-minded focusing on just your dream, and thinking your life has no meaning/purpose if you don't achieve it, means you could be missing out on the rest of your life. Joe doesn't realize he's a good teacher, and he's been missing out on having a romantic relationship (the several mentions of a possible girlfriend) because he's obsessed with playing on stage.

And 22 becomes an old soul. 22 had been around so long that that it felt weird for 'her' to be among the new souls. And I'm not sold over the predetermined, unique personalities and mentoring. 22 finds out that it's thru experiences, that 'she's' found a will to live on Earth.
I think this part works better as a metaphor than a serious study of a "pre-life" as an actual concept. The idea is that everyone has a "spark" that inspires and drives them, but that spark isn't their "purpose" in life. It's just one part of what makes you human, and what makes life worth living.
And Joe just seemed so self absorbed with this dream, that he's ok with giving it up once obtained? I dunno, it just felt...
I don't think Joe is ok with "giving up" his dream. One thing he realizes near the end was that he was cheating, trying to figure out a way to get back to Earth without considering the consequences, like what would happen to 22. He wanted to live, but not at the cost of 22 not ever living. Another thing he realized was that accomplishing his dream didn't suddenly and dramatically change his life all for the better, he was still basically the same person, and there's more to life than just achieving your dream. He wasn't seeing the ocean, just the water around him.

That's why the film leaves it open-ended on what Joe may do next now that he's back on Earth again. Maybe he'll still play in the quartet. Maybe he'll go back to teaching. Maybe he'll do something else. The point is that he now has a better appreciation of life as a whole, and will experience the entirety of life and live more in the present, instead of being obsessed with fulfilling the dream he had he mistook for his purpose in life.
Old 12-27-20, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Runaway
I really liked Soul, but I'm expecting greatness from Pixar, so a good movie like this one, is not what I was hoping for. This sounds way to negative, but to me the movie missed the special something, that made Monster Inc., the Toy Stories and other Pixar movies so great..
Soul is Miles better than their other 2020 movie Onward. Also much better than 2019ís Toy Story 4 (which I was a little disappointed in), 2018ís The Incredibles 2 (a surprising miss), 2017ís Cars 3 (dud), 2016ís Finding Dory (inferior to the original) and 2015ís The Good Dinosaur (awful). Pixar still has a lot of goodwill associated with itís brand but in the past 5 years since Inside Out (which I think is a masterpiece) they have only put out one previous film that I think is even Very Good and that was 2017ís Coco.
Old 12-27-20, 10:34 AM

BTW in the movie, that man played by Questlove who invites Joe to the gig, Joe was supposed to have taught him band in Middle School? How long has he been a part time music teacher?
Old 12-27-20, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Soul is Miles better than their other 2020 movie Onward. Also much better than 2019’s Toy Story 4 (which I was a little disappointed in), 2018’s The Incredibles 2 (a surprising miss), 2017’s Cars 3 (dud), 2016’s Finding Dory (inferior to the original) and 2015’s The Good Dinosaur (awful). Pixar still has a lot of goodwill associated with it’s brand but in the past 5 years since Inside Out (which I think is a masterpiece) they have only put out one previous film that I think is even Very Good and that was 2017’s Coco.
We have vastly differing opinions... as for me Inside Out was by far the worst of everything you listed. I actually liked The Good Dinosaur somewhat, enough so that I at least watched it a couple more times after my initial watch. Inside Out I hope to never have the displeasure of watching again. Also Onward is probably my second favorite Pixar film of the decade, only losing out to Coco which was practically perfect.

Last edited by Koby; 12-27-20 at 11:12 AM.
Old 12-27-20, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 393 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
But it's better than the Cars movies and The Good Dinosaur, yes?
Yes, way better. Like I said it's very good movie, which those 4 aren't. I'm not complainig, I just wished for greatness, because Pixar sets so high standards. In the end it's all subjective, I just liked Onward, Toy Story 4 or Coco more than Soul.
Old 12-27-20, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 697 Likes on 507 Posts

That's why the film leaves it open-ended on what Joe may do next now that he's back on Earth again. Maybe he'll still play in the quartet. Maybe he'll go back to teaching. Maybe he'll do something else. The point is that he now has a better appreciation of life as a whole, and will experience the entirety of life and live more in the present, instead of being obsessed with fulfilling the dream he had he mistook for his purpose in life.
But he didn't know he would have had what is really a '3rd chance at life'. His 2nd chance was actually making the gig and earning his spot. But as he said to his Mom, 'if I died today, my life would have amounted to nothing.' So he made it. He made the jazz quartet. And so he was ok to die, so 22 could live? I find that a little bleak. Joe and 22 both needed each other to appreciate life, but he is content with his ending?
Old 12-27-20, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But he didn't know he would have had what is really a '3rd chance at life'. His 2nd chance was actually making the gig and earning his spot. But as he said to his Mom, 'if I died today, my life would have amounted to nothing.' So he made it. He made the jazz quartet. And so he was ok to die, so 22 could live? I find that a little bleak. Joe and 22 both needed each other to appreciate life, but he is content with his ending?
I don't think he was "content" with sacrificing his life so 22 could, rightfully, live hers, but he was accepting of it. He realized, after Terry had caught them, that he was cheating, trying to get more life when he had lived his, taking 22's shot at life for his own. He initially justified it to himself because he had a "purpose" and 22 didn't, but after the jazz gig, he had serious doubts about that, hence why he went to seek out 22. When he saw how lost 22 had become, and that he had contributed to that, he realized what he had done was wrong, and fixed it.
Old 12-27-20, 04:43 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 396 Likes on 246 Posts

this was disappointing and felt about twice as long as it really was.

the animation looked gorgeous in the "real world", but everything else was so boring visually.

I dunno, just kind of meh all around.

Old 12-27-20, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Koby
We have vastly differing opinions... as for me Inside Out was by far the worst of everything you listed. I actually liked The Good Dinosaur somewhat, enough so that I at least watched it a couple more times after my initial watch. Inside Out I hope to never have the displeasure of watching again. Also Onward is probably my second favorite Pixar film of the decade, only losing out to Coco which was practically perfect.
I liked "Inside Out" a lot, but didn't love it. I think the best Disney/Pixar movies to date are (in this order):

"Toy Story 2"
"WALL-E"
"Finding Nemo"
"The Incredibles"
"Ratatouille"
"Up"
"Toy Story 3"
Old 12-27-20, 05:12 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,176 Likes on 831 Posts

Soul is Miles better than their other 2020 movie Onward. Also much better than 2019ís Toy Story 4 (which I was a little disappointed in), 2018ís The Incredibles 2 (a surprising miss), 2017ís Cars 3 (dud), 2016ís Finding Dory (inferior to the original) and 2015ís The Good Dinosaur (awful). Pixar still has a lot of goodwill associated with itís brand but in the past 5 years since Inside Out (which I think is a masterpiece) they have only put out one previous film that I think is even Very Good and that was 2017ís Coco.
Agreed on almost all of this. I give The Good Dinosaur a tiny bit of leeway because it was the first flick I took my kid to... But even she's only re-watched it once since then.
Anyway, Soul was excellent. It works as a good companion to Inside Out. It's not as good as that one, but I 100% agree it's better than everything else since then except Coco.
I was worried that the Reznor/Ross score would be a bad fit, but it actually worked quite well along with the jazz compositions they didn't write. Nice contrast between styles.
Old 12-28-20, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 338 Likes on 259 Posts

This movie was ok. I don't go crazy for Pixar movies, so I wouldnít be the best judge.

Ratatouille is still my favorite.

The other Pixar films I watched (or tried to watch) this year are:

Onward - hated this. Couldn't get past 10 minutes.

Toy Story 4 - loved it, still has the magic.

Soul has some amazing animation. The story was ok. I thought it could have had a better ending, maybe with him realizing that teaching and mentoring was really his gift. The Disney logo intro with the band music had me cracking up.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 12-28-20 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-28-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Orbi-Wan with another quickie review.

I enjoyed Soul overall, but it is not in my top 5 of Pixar movies. Too much telegraphing and hitting over the head with the film’s message. The predictability of the plot was comforting and kind of meh at the same time. Give me Inside Out and Ratatouille any day. I am sure Soul will find a huge audience but as someone already in their 60s and no regrets, just did not grab me in the way it will grab others.

Three out of five lightsabers here. Maybe something about the messy Wonder Woman 1984 in the next few days...
Old 12-29-20, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,109 Likes on 2,010 Posts

Agree. Gorgeous animation. Great vocal work. Well done. Wish it didnít feel so much like Inside Out to me because that was a modern classic and this will pale in comparison, though it is a very fine movie in its own right. And probably the one ďpopular ď movie that has a legitimate shot at a Best Picture nomination this year.
After watching the Wonder Woman movie yesterday I needed this to restore my faith in the industry.

Anyone else watch the new short, Burrow? I was not charmed or impressed with that one.
Iíll take the lazy manís route for my review and just say I agree with everything DECKER has said above.

And while I would have been perfectly fine if Joe had never got his second chance, I will say the final shot followed by the title card did bring a tear to my eye.

Iíve never been a huge fan of famous actors doing voice work. Most of the time it pulls me out of the movie and all I see is the actor but I have to admit Jamie Foxx was wonderful here and even though I knew he was the voice actor, I never once heard ďJamie FoxxĒ in Joe.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 12-29-20 at 01:27 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 10:42 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 866 Likes on 732 Posts

the only thing i find funny or sad (depending on how you look at it) is that they touted this Pixar movie as the first to prominently star an African-American person, when most of the movie he is either blue or voiced by a middle aged white woman.
Old 12-29-20, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 169 Posts

I really liked it, but my 4&6 year old kids didn't make a peep throughout. That's fine, Pixar doesn't have to cater primarily to kids.
Old 12-29-20, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,004 Likes on 797 Posts

Yeah, this definitely seemed more like a passion project than one that would actually cater to the family. As a kid it would have terrified me to think my body could be taken over by something else, ... unless it got me in with Gal Gadot maybe?
Old 12-29-20, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Yeah, this definitely seemed more like a passion project than one that would actually cater to the family. As a kid it would have terrified me to think my body could be taken over by something else, ...
Um, Freaky Friday, the movie so nice, they made it 4 times? Vice Versa? 18 Again? Shrek 3?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_s...in_media#Films
Old 12-29-20, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,004 Likes on 797 Posts

Um, Freaky Friday, the movie so nice, they made it 4 times? Vice Versa? 18 Again? Shrek 3?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_s...in_media#Films
Possessed vs body swap, I was a weird kid

There has been a lot of body swapping this quarter.
Old 12-29-20, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

And letís not forget Brave - not a swap, but the mom got turned into a bear for like 90% of the movie, which felt like a total bait and switch from the movieís marketing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.