Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin (2021, D: Eubank) - news, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin (2021, D: Eubank) - news, rumors, etc.

Old 10-29-21, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 196 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin (2021, D: Eubank) - news, rumors, etc.

I saw that at least the previous 2 PA movies are on P+ which are the ones I need to watch to catch up on before watching the new one. I think I saw some others too, so they may have them all on there if you want to catch up.
Old 10-29-21, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 571 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
I think I missed the last couple of PA movies but what I (vaguely) remember from the first few is that they were all pretty much their own stand-alone movies with only a loose connection “twist” at the end.

If anything, the final shot might be one that doesn’t make any sense of you haven’t seen the other movies but I really wouldn’t expect that to be the case.

I could be wrong though. It’s been a few years since I’ve seen any of them.
I watched all of the movies this month for the horror challenge, and I actually felt that they did a really good job of linking and building on all the previous films. They build a little Paranormal Activity mythology.

From what I hear, the new one is more of a reboot, though, and should be able to stand alone.
Old 10-31-21, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So what is everyone's thoughts?
Old 10-31-21, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 502 Likes on 358 Posts

It felt more like Blair Witch than Paranormal Activity. Emily Bader is a cutie tho.
Old 10-31-21, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

This really bugged me. I've always like the Paranormal Activity franchise due to it's slow creep out starting with ordinary looking footage. But this felt like they just took an existing concept & decided to shake the camera around a lot & call it a PA movie. Plus the production, the 2:35 aspect ratio, the changing POV's, the CGI made this feel nothing like a found footage film, despite the shaking camera. Just a typical Hollywood horror movie shoved into the PA franchise for maximum return on investment.
Old 10-31-21, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
This really bugged me. I've always like the Paranormal Activity franchise due to it's slow creep out starting with ordinary looking footage. But this felt like they just took an existing concept & decided to shake the camera around a lot & call it a PA movie. Plus the production, the 2:35 aspect ratio, the changing POV's, the CGI made this feel nothing like a found footage film, despite the shaking camera. Just a typical Hollywood horror movie shoved into the PA franchise for maximum return on investment.
Ya this was a huge letdown as I did like the PA movies too. Only tie in is maybe the demon? I hope they just let this die now.
Old 10-31-21, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 571 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
It felt more like Blair Witch than Paranormal Activity. Emily Bader is a cutie tho.
Originally Posted by Eddie W View Post
Agree with these comments. It had more of a Blair Witch feel to it, and it really annoyed me when they shifted perspectives. If you're going to randomly break from the found footage, then why bother putting on that limitation in the first place? Just film it like a regular movie.
Old 10-31-21, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 775 Likes on 597 Posts

I thought was one of the better entries of the franchise. I have no memory of the others except for the first film. Maybe I'll marathon them but not sure.

This new one also took some influence from the REC films big time. It's worth a view and should have a higher score than 18% on RT.
Old 11-01-21, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 150 Posts

^Agree my wife and I really enjoyed it. I thought the others in the series were so so...

Old 11-01-21, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 502 Likes on 358 Posts

If it didn't have the Paranormal Activity name associated to it, I think more people may warm up to it.

My gripe was the music cues for jump scares and the one shot from behind Sarah as Margot is talking to her. Other than that, I thought it was interesting. I may have to watch it again just to clarify the whole demon issue and how it turns into Fallen.
Old 11-01-21, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 198 Posts

This definitely felt more like Blair Witch than PA... and this was bad. I recall the first movie and it was a nice psychological film. This was just stupid and went WAY over the top to try and be scary at the end. I suspect there will be a direct sequel starting where this left off considering how it ended.
Old 11-02-21, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 174 Likes on 99 Posts

My wife had never seen any of the Paranormal Activity movies and I’d only seen 1-3, so we watched the whole lineup starting Friday and finishing tonight.

Regarding the franchise as a whole, I only really remembered the first one and was surprised how well the first three held up. They weren’t particularly scary, but did a nice job with the conceit and building a little mythology. Four was mediocre and Marked Ones and Ghost Dimension were pretty abysmal.

Next of Kin could have been a solid little indie horror flick, but it would’ve worked better by either ditching the found footage approach or finding a way to be more faithful to it. And it has no business being a Paranormal Activity movie. It doesn’t mesh well with the existing mythology and felt completely forced to have it be part of the franchise. That said, it has some fun ideas, even if they could’ve been done better, and it was decent enough to not have been a waste of time, unlike the previous three movies.
Old 12-23-21, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 235 Posts

Finally got a chance to watch this.

I enjoyed the film, though it was clear early on that this film was shoehorned into being a part of the Paranormal Activity franchise

Not sure a reboot was necessary here and even then I'm not sure what this franchise is rebooting into with this 2021 entry. The backbone of original series' mythology was already rooted heavily in cults.

This entry honestly has more in common with a Found Footage film released in 2014 called Apocalypse (which I also enjoyed), about a Doomsday Cult and the local news crew that interviews them.

Agree with the comments here about the inconsistency of the Found Footage. It makes you really appreciate the Found Footage films released over the years that are rock-solid when it comes to the core fundamentals of that approach.
Old 12-23-21, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 138 Likes on 121 Posts

Paramount+ also has a 90-minute retrospective documentary of the entire series. It's quite good if you're a fan.