Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you have time to re-watch old movies from your collections? (physical and digital)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you re-visit old movies from your collection?
Yes
71.05%
No
10.53%
Sometimes, but rarely nowadays
18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Do you have time to re-watch old movies from your collections? (physical and digital)

Old 06-17-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

A certain poster here (I won't call him out) claims that most people simply don't have time to re-watch old movies anymore or don't care to and will watch something, click and move on.

Now, do you fall into that realm? Do you have time to re-watch movies from your collection or are you falling into the realm where you simply have no time to do so and and would rather watch something you've never seen?

Seems like a silly statement, but he claims movies are becoming more and more expendable and forgettable since so many come out every year and no one has time anymore to re-visit them anymore and that's why he doesn't view them with high accord.

So what do you all think? I disagree with his viewpoints, but he's obviously in the minority. And I notice he never comments on any new movie that comes out.
Old 06-17-19, 10:29 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Do you have time to re-watch old movies from your collections? (physical and digital)

Maybe not every one personally, but my entire family shares both of my physical and digital collections. I'm sure they're getting seen at some point or another. And I do tend to pull out old or obscure stuff from time to time. Over the last 6 months, I've been going through all of my Criterions, including laserdiscs. Most recent, I watched the extras on Francis Ford Coppola's Dracula.
Old 06-17-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts
Re: Do you have time to re-watch old movies from your collections? (physical and digital)

It's all about priorities. If it's important, you'll find the time.

In this age of streaming, it does open up additional options that can suck up your time.
Old 06-17-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's less of a priority than the backlog that need to be watched, but yeah, I'll turn certain ones on like I'll throw together some comfort food in the kitchen.

I also like to rewatch movies I really liked with people who haven't seen them.

I also like to revisit a favorite director's catalog before going into their latest work, or seeing something of theirs that I haven't seen before.

And, of course, there's the run-up to Halloween where I dedicate some time specifically to familiar horror, though that kinda circles back to the top thing.
Old 06-17-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

This year I've actually made a point of being methodical about going back and re-watching movies in my collection. And suddenly I'm realizing there's a big difference between movies I really like and movies that are really re-watchable. As a result I'm wanting to pare down my collection to just those movies that I can see myself spontaneously wanting to watch again, vs. making myself re-watch them simply because I own them.

Certain horror, sci-fi, superhero, and Pixar movies will always be re-watchable to me. I find myself growing bored with re-watching dramas, action movies, and comedies. But maybe this all just has to do with my taste in certain genres rather than the genres themselves.
Old 06-17-19, 11:39 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Seems like a silly statement, but he claims movies are becoming more and more expendable and forgettable since so many come out every year and no one has time anymore to re-visit them anymore and that's why he doesn't view them with high accord.
He may be right about new films, but certainly many films from the past are worth revisiting.

In fact I would highly recommend people augment all the new stuff with some classics. For every Marvel movie you watch you should watch two classics.
Old 06-17-19, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts

I just re-watched Warlock (1959) yesterday. (GREAT movie! Now out on Blu Ray through Twilight Time... )

Some movies get re-watched a lot (Goodfellas, Grosse Pointe Blank, Bond movies, Westerns, etc), some far less often, but I re-watch a lot of my movies.
Old 06-17-19, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I have tons of old movies on Blu-ray, DVD and VHS, but when something I Iike turns up on cable, esp. TCM, I'll sit and watch it. I did that with STRANGERS ON A TRAIN and DETOUR not too long ago and THE FLY (1958) earlier this year. I try to see as many previously unseen movies as possible, but you have to revisit the classics regularly just to remind yourself why you got into this in the first place. Just two nights ago I watched John Woo's HARD TARGET on one of the Starz channels maybe for the first time in this century. (I saw it opening night in 1993.) Plus I write about a lot of films and have to re-watch certain things for research.
Old 06-17-19, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I get two movies a week from Netflix so those are the priority. Then I am usually working on a TV series on disc or DVR. I will usually watch at least one from the collection every weekend. That is why I have been so diligent in cleaning out my collection. Having hundreds I never watch makes no sense any more so I buy a few, donate a few.
Old 06-17-19, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

^ Holy crap I thought I was literally the only person in the world who still gets red envelopes.
Old 06-17-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was actually going to Family Video every Friday for a few years until they raised the prices. Call me a dinosaur but I still prefer the physical media.
Old 06-17-19, 03:14 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In the last few weeks i have rewatched

The Great Escape
Big Trouble in LIttle china
Enter the dragon

I have seen the Great escape more than 10 times, Big Trouble and Enter more than 25 times

I have other movies i have seen heaps too
Old 06-17-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 945 Likes on 719 Posts

And I still love having a movie collection, even if I rarely visit it. It's there if I need it. Like, a couple of months ago I was in Los Angeles, and suddenly noticed I was driving by the site where a scene from Carrie was filmed (the part where Billy Nolan kills the pig...the murals are still there!), so upon arriving home I watched Carrie for the umpteenth time. I like having that ability.
Old 06-17-19, 04:29 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I rewatch movies all the time. Used to all the time as a kid, now kind of back into it. I dunno, definitely something comforting about it. I love watching new or movies I haven’t seen, but I love rewatching my favorite movies as well.
Old 06-17-19, 04:30 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Hmm. Different strokes an all, but I can’t imagine not revisiting things. Movies, books, music, everything.....I think older is better.
Old 06-17-19, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

My backlog of things I want to watch but haven't even gotten to the first viewing of:

Something like 40 movies, 15 live-action series, 130 anime series, and 15 cartoon series.

That's not counting the backlog of video games, many of which will take 100+ hours each to complete.

So yeah, I almost never re-watch things these days as I have so much I haven't seen but want to see and so little time to actually watch things.

I have a weekly schedule of shows I watch, with 1-2 shows minimum airing on every day of the week. So I don't even manage to keep up weekly on my airing shows much less delve into much, if any, of my backlog.

Basically the only time I watch something again is if I have company over that wants to watch something I've already seen.
Old 06-17-19, 04:50 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

yes I have the time to watch any of my old movie for VHS, DVD and blu ray. From Star Wars to CHUD to the old Elm Street movie etc I always watch them every time.
Old 06-17-19, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

At this point I think I do focus mostly on new release movies that I’ve never seen before over movies I’ve seen over and over.

I also think there is a lot more of more of a selection to choose from through streaming that gives the impression of over saturation. Me and my wife usually have the weekend nights where we stream a new release movie after the kids go to sleep. There are a lot of times I’ll find myself surfing through a ton of movies I’ve never even heard of before and I try to keep up with movies.

I have started trying to watch an old movie every other night or so obviously TCM. There was a time a month or two ago that had 70s cop movies and lately I’ve been catching up with old Paul Newman movies. I’m not sure if those count since it’s the first time I’ve watched them.
Old 06-17-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 585 Posts

Yes maybe one movie a week from my collection of new and sealed Blu-rays but I like to watch new stuff too from Netflix streaming and their blu-ray rental service.
Old 06-17-19, 09:56 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I have all my movies marked as watched on their respective dates, keep track of what's coming up in the rotation, and make sure we watch everything we have. It usually takes us 3 years to get all the way through the rotation, with all the TV shows we watch as well. We never watch regular TV, just what's in the collection, and we stay entertained. If there's ever a movie or TV show we keep putting off watching, it's time to get rid of it.
Old 06-18-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

^ how big is your collection ?
Old 06-18-19, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Most movies pretty much suck today, so I would rather binge watch a TV show instead. But I still watch my older BluRay's as those movies never get old.
Old 06-18-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

As a kid, and up into my mid teens, I could stay in a theater for three showings in a row watching the same movie over and over.
Now, watching the same movie twice in a three year span is difficult. At least that goes for old time favorites. I'm hoping to watch some MCU films again over the next few weeks, and Rogue One which I think I've seen three times already. For something I only first saw in mid 2017, that's a nutty pace for me now.

Whenever I turn on my projector, I hope to get in two features and maybe one series episode of something.
I also try to split that up between a movie I've never seen before, along with something I'd been planning to rewatch for a while. Some times the re-watch is something I've owned for a while and have already played at least once. More often it's a movie I already know and like/love that I've owned for a while but just haven't gotten around to even ripping the shrikwrap off yet.

I own too much to even care about renting anymore.

This year I had been making a good sized dent in my unwatched pile. The B&N sale over the weekend obliterated those gains though, and the upcoming Criterion and Kino sales might bury me again.
Old 06-18-19, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Yes I do. Not sure I need to add more.
Old 06-18-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

The time I have to watch anything is smaller nowadays but I do find myself re-visiting films that I have seen many times over.

I would say normally, for every new film I watch, I then view the same number of films I have already seen (sometimes more).

I recently saw Godzilla: King of the Monsters in theaters and my immediate choices following it were Suspiria (1977) & The Thin Red Line (1998), which I've watched countless times.

Up until recently, I reviewed Horror films for a website, so balancing out having to watch (and review) films that were given to us versus films I knew were enjoyable became pretty important.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.