Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
21.62%
37.84%
18.92%
13.51%
8.11%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 07-29-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,455 Posts
Re: Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Mabuse
A good screenplay should not cause this much confusion. Especially in the first 15 seconds of the movie.

Especially when the flashback was completely unnecessary.

Wasn't it necessary to re-establish Bo Peep (and tell you what happened to her) after her complete absence in TS3? I wouldn't say it was unnecessary, unless I'm thinking of a different flashback.

I don't think it was that confusing unless you overthink it. None of my kids were bothered, for instance. And I think this is the first time I've heard a complaint about it.
Old 07-29-19, 02:02 PM

Received 4,511 Likes on 3,059 Posts

I didn't think it was confusing at all.

How was it unnecessary? A huge part of the movie was the reconnection with Bo. We never saw what happened to her.
Old 07-29-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As far as Woody would never abandon a kid... the guy was like a year away from being in the giveaway pile (not by Bonnie, but by the parents).
Old 07-29-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 204 Posts

I mostly enjoyed it, but holy shit, enough with “Let’s split up Woody and Buzz, and turn Buzz into a moron” for most of the movie.

TS2: At least Buzz is a leader to try to rescue Woody, but then gets factory reset and is a hindrance to the team.
TS3: He gets factory reset to Spanish settings and has to be taken care of and is a hindrance to the team.
TS4: For some reason he forgets all of his leadership qualities from part 2 (and his confidence as a fucking space commander) and relies on his pre-programmed phrases for motivation (and additional phrases magically appear in both his and Woody’s voiceboxes).
Old 07-29-19, 04:06 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I didn't think it was confusing at all.

How was it unnecessary? A huge part of the movie was the reconnection with Bo. We never saw what happened to her.
How was it not confusing? It says 9 Years Ago. 9 years ago is 2010. That’s the year TS3 came out. The kid was going off to college. At this point the movie has been going for 35 seconds. What have I the viewer been shown to explain this? Not so obviously the only explanation is that TS4 does not take place in 2019. They shouldn’t have chosen a concrete number like 9. They should have just said “Some Time Ago”

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-30-19 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-29-19, 04:11 PM
Banned

And the flashback was unnecessary because Peep is mentioned in TS3, and the backstory of their affection would be more effective and less confusing to be worked into dialogue and/or a flashback later in the film. Not as a confusing cold open.

The thought i had near the midpoint was that TS 4 actually resembles Scorsese’s After Hours. The constant plans falling apart and frustrated failures to connect, but where that was intentional in that film, here I think it was a function of having something like 7 writers.
Old 08-17-19, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts

Crossed the one billion mark at the worldwide box-office this week.
Old 10-11-19, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Dang, is it dusty in here? After what was a near perfect conclusion with Toy Story 3, wasn't sure if this was really needed. I'm glad they did go through with it and although it's not exactly unpredictable, still was highly entertaining with some genuine emotions and a great finale for Woody. Really says a lot that as good as this was, it's still the fourth best movie of the series. 4.0/5

Don't really want a TS5 but wouldn't mind some short Toy Story Toons with the group...
Old 10-16-19, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

I still contend this was such an incredibly beautiful movie. The detail is just incredible. This video explains how Pixar has been simulating real lenses in their movies now to create a true to life cinematic experience. It's a great watch.

Old 10-16-19, 12:39 PM
Banned

That’s good stuff. The split diopter and utilization of multiple focal planes in animation goes back to Walt Disney’s multiplane camera that was 30 feet tall. Cool that it can be simulated digitally.

The rest is really fascinating. So much of cinema is subliminal. Associations our brains make with textures and shapes. It’s why the movies are magic.
Old 10-16-19, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

That’s good stuff. The split diopter and utilization of multiple focal planes in animation goes back to Walt Disney’s multiplane camera that was 30 feet tall. Cool that it can be simulated digitally.

The rest is really fascinating. So much of cinema is subliminal. Associations our brains make with textures and shapes. It’s why the movies are magic.
He has a pretty good channel about very different subject matters. Does a good job researching and presenting the material.
Old 10-17-19, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,027 Likes on 4,115 Posts

Thanks for sharing that. That was really cool. I still am mezzo-mezzo at best on the movie as a whole but really appreciate the look.
Old 02-22-20, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

We saw this last night for the first time on Disney Plus and I have to agree with everyone who says this is way out of character for Woody. Never in a million years would I have thought Woody would leave his kid and life the life of a lost toy. This goes against everything he ever stood for. They should have stopped at three, where the series was wrapped up perfectly.
The following users liked this post:
kakistos (02-22-20)
Old 09-24-20, 08:21 PM

Evel Knievel’s son suing Disney over ‘Toy Story 4’ character

AP

In this Sept. 8, 1974, file photo, Evel Knievel sits in the steam-powered rocket motorcycle he hoped would take him across Snake River Canyon in Twin Falls, Idaho.

By Ken Ritter, Associated Press

Thursday, Sept. 24, 2020 | 2:38 p.m.

Evel Knievel's son is on a collision course with the Walt Disney Co. and Pixar over a movie daredevil character named Duke Caboom.

A federal trademark infringement lawsuit filed in Las Vegas accuses the movie company of improperly basing the new character in last year’s “Toy Story 4” on Knievel, whose famous stunts included motorcycle jumps over the Caesars Palace fountain in Las Vegas and a row of buses at Wembley Stadium in London, and a rocket shot into Snake River Canyon in Idaho.

Las Vegas-based K and K Promotions accuses Disney-owned Pixar of intentionally modeling the Caboom character, voiced by Keanau Reeves in the movie, after Knievel — although Knievel’s name is never mentioned.

Son Kelly Knievel, head of K and K, has had publicity rights to Evel Knievel's name since 1998, according to the Tuesday court filing in U.S. District Court. He said Thursday the moviemakers never sought permission to use his father's likeness.

The Walt Disney Co. , in a statement from corporate spokesman Jeffrey R. Epstein, said it will defend itself vigorously against what it called Knievel's meritless claims.

Knievel is seeking unspecified damages totaling more than $300,000 on allegations that also include false endorsement and unjust enrichment.

The Caboom character is described by Disney Pixar as a 1970s motorcycle-riding toy based on “Canada’s greatest stuntman,” according to the lawsuit.

Photos in the court filing put Caboom side-by-side with Knievel, who became an American icon after his near-fatal 1967 Caesars Palace crash.

An Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle toy released in 1973 featured a Knievel action figure clad in a white helmet and jumpsuit with red, white and blue embellishments on a motorcycle that could be propelled with a wind-up device.

In vivid descriptions of the movie, the lawsuit notes the Caboom character is a 1970s-era daredevil clad in a white jumpsuit and helmet with Canadian insignia and a “Duke Caboom Stunt Cycle.”

A propelled toy was marketed in conjunction with the movie, Knievel's attorneys note, and the Caboom character became part of a McDonald’s fast-food “Happy Meal” promotion.

Consumers and film reviewers “universally caught on to the connection,” the lawsuit observed, while the movie company and Reeves avoided making any public association, connection or comparison “even if directly asked.”

“Evel Knievel did not thrill millions around the world, break his bones and spill his blood just so Disney could make a bunch of money,” Kelly Knievel said in a statement announcing the lawsuit.

Knievel was seriously injured many times during more than 75 motorcycle jumps. He died in 2007 at 69 in Florida of lung disease, not in a crash.

Old 09-24-20, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,035 Posts

^ I guess Knievel’s son is as big of an asshole as his father was.

I guess Super Dave Osborne dodged a bullet by avoiding a lawsuit.
Old 09-24-20, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

Suing them and only asking for around $300k.
Old 09-24-20, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Deftones
Suing them and only asking for around $300k.
That means that Kenny Knievel would have been okay with them making it an actual Evil Knievel doll if he was paid $200,000.
Old 09-25-20, 09:31 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I guess Super Dave Osborne dodged a bullet by avoiding a lawsuit.
may he rest in peace. but, he'll always be Funkhouser to me!
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (09-26-20)
Old 09-25-20, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I watched the movie recently with the kids (we did a Toy Story marathon, one a week for a month). Just re-reading this thread.

I still maintain my kids had no problem understanding what was happening, the timelines, or even why Woody wanted to leave. I think they did a good job of him having an existential crisis and realizing that unlike Andy, Bonnie doesn't really need him in the same way. But I do agree that constantly making Buzz an idiot every single movie did go a bit far.

I also think that if he had left without that last goodbye scene on the canopy it would've felt a lot different.

Were those little motorcycle toys with the ripcords and poseable riders all based on Knieval too? I realize it's probably the getup that has them suing but it reminded me a lot more of those toys than Evel himself.
Old 09-26-20, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

I had zero problems with the so-called "timelines". Jesus fuck people, it's Toy Story, not the freakin' Avengers. Stop trying to connect the dots and just take it with simplicity.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Old 09-26-20, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Still haven’t gotten around to watching this. Need to at some point.
Old 09-26-20, 06:53 PM
Banned

A good screenplay should not cause confusion. Especially in the first 15 seconds of the movie.

Especially when the flashback was completely unnecessary.
Old 09-26-20, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Who was confused by the opening flashback?

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think they did a good job of him having an existential crisis and realizing that unlike Andy, Bonnie doesn't really need him in the same way.
That's all well and good but his ultimate decision still flies in the face of his very core and what he's preached to every other toy (and the audience) for 3 movies and countless shorts and specials. YOU toys go stay in the attic for 20 years in the off chance Andy needs us one day because that's what toys do. Bonnie throws me in the closet for one day and fuck it, I'm out. Fucking dumb how they shit all over his character. They could have had Woody still have his existential crisis but still have him be true to who he is and return to Bonnie and the gang at the end.

As you can tell it still pisses me off.
The following 2 users liked this post by Michael Corvin:
kakistos (09-26-20), Sonny Corinthos (09-27-20)
Old 09-27-20, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

"Confused" by the opening? What? Explain.
Old 09-27-20, 01:05 PM
Banned

Just read back. I already did.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.