Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
21.62%
37.84%
18.92%
13.51%
8.11%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-19, 11:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

will finish tomorrow. promise!
Old 06-20-19, 07:28 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts
Re: Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

98% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/toy_story_4/

Seeing this tonight.
Old 06-20-19, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

Really enjoyable. Not sure where I'd rank it just yet. While I wished there was more interaction with the classic toy group, the new toys were a lot of fun (I need a Forky and Duke Kaboom for my desk). I kept myself pretty much in the dark as far as plot, and I don't know how they keep doing it. I liked what they did with Gabby Gabby as well, not making her an out and out "bad guy". Stick around throughout the credits, which are fun, for a satisfying payoff at the very very end.
Old 06-20-19, 09:19 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

This was great. Not better than 3, but still really great.

Those dummies were creepy AF.
Old 06-20-19, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This was great. Not better than 3, but still really great.

Those dummies were creepy AF.
Cannot wait to see this. Loved all three. But "2" is still my favorite so far.
Old 06-21-19, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may be the best of the four, in terms of the depth of the story, but it was, by far, the most bittersweet ending.
Old 06-21-19, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Saw it tonight. Very very good.
Granted, the theater was crowded so it's easier to laugh when others do, but we all laughed a lot. And some sighs.
I knew nothing about it other than the idea of Forky.
Bunny and Ducky were great.
Old 06-22-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Analysts were saying this could gross anywhere from 140-200M this weekend (I know, that's one wide spread). Deadline is now projecting 123M based on Friday's ticket sales. I have to say I'm really shocked it's so low. Yes, that's still great for an opening weekend. But there was so much buzz surrounding this these past few weeks. And it's such a beloved series.

Last edited by Daytripper; 06-22-19 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-22-19, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I liked it. Probably the "worst" of the four, though still very good. I didn't connect with it emotionally. Liked the first half more than the second. The reveal of Forky, reunion with Peep and the discovery of the Antique shop were fun. Later plot details, especially Woody's kind of illogical behaviors made me check out of it a bit. Plus most of Bonnie's other inherited toys like Slinky, Rex and the Potato Heads were weirdly silent most of the time and marginalized to the point of being almost zombie or background figures.
I liked the opening scene the most of anything in the movie.
And yes, Keanu was amazing. Wish there was more of him. Key & Peele were fun too - especially their "plans".
Old 06-22-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I thought it was fine. The first half has bigger laughs than the second half, and the ending is pretty obvious, but hey - it's a kid's movie.

It's the least of the four films for me, but that was a high bar to hurdle anyway. It's better than it has any right to be, so if you don't set your expectations TOO high, you'll have fun.
Old 06-22-19, 08:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

An excellent film. Probably second to TS3, but superior to 2 and even 1. Not that the first two weren’t also excellent, but I never felt they had a lot of depth. This felt like it had more on its mind, just like TS3. In fact, I’d say 3 and 4 should be seen back-to-back as they resonate deeper if seen as parts of a whole.
Old 06-22-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
Stick around throughout the credits, which are fun, for a satisfying payoff at the very very end.
Crap, sounds like we left too soon. What did I miss?
Old 06-22-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

A high 4 out of 5 from me. This movie had no business being as good as it is.

Kudos for bringing back Combat Carl! And yes that post-credits sequence is so emotionally satisfying
Old 06-23-19, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Enjoyable, but the first Toy Story sequel that doesn't really have a reason to be for me. 2 enhanced the first one. 3 enhanced 2. This one...you don't really need to see it.
Old 06-23-19, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Woody leaving one of Combat Carl's friend silently and sadly "hanging" drew a HUGE laugh from me (and only me in my theater).

Did anyone else have a problem with Gabby Gabby's redemption arc? It felt to me like they were saying that the ends justify the means. And Gabby had some pretty messed up means.

I saw Rashida Jones got a writing credit. Is this the movie she quit because she didn't agree with anything the studio wanted or was that a different project? I have a hard time remembering.
Old 06-23-19, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I saw Rashida Jones got a writing credit. Is this the movie she quit because she didn't agree with anything the studio wanted or was that a different project? I have a hard time remembering.
It was this one.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/05/ra...em-1201966131/
Old 06-23-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked it a lot, but ultimately it's rather unnecessary as TS3 had an absolutely perfect ending to the series.
Old 06-23-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I dunno, gang. Warning: long rant to follow.

1) It's a solid animated film, no doubt. But I don't think it's a solid Toy Story movie. My biggest issue is the characterization of Woody. Woody's "thing," from film one, was loyalty to his kid. It was his #1 defining characteristic. So anything short of Bonnie outright and completely rejecting him isn't, in my mind, going to give him reason to leave her. We are given a brief scene at the beginning where she leaves him in the closet, with reference made to the fact that she has done this before, but that would not be cause for the Woody of the first three films to suddenly "follow his heart" and walk away. (Woody was willing to live in Andy's attic forever, for crying out loud, rather than leave him -- and the other toys -- altogether.) And Woody's relationship with Bow was mostly just flirtatious in the first two films. In no way did that relationship mean more to him than Bonnie did; if anything, Woody had stronger emotional ties to Buzz than to Bo. So the ending of the film really didn't sit right with me.

2) I also didn't buy the sudden sympathetic turn of Gabby Gabby. She was willing to kidnap Forky and steal from Woody (and in the process rip him apart), but once she decides to explain her plight, we're supposed to feel sympathy for her? Had they given her more of a redemption arc, maybe the idea would have worked, but instead it came across like, "I'll try the villainous path, and if that doesn't fly, I'll play the sympathy card."

3) This movie felt less like a Toy Story movie than a Woody and Bo movie. I loved the development of Bo in this movie, but man did some major characters (Jesse, Bullseye, the Potato Heads, Rex, Hamm) get sidelined as a result. Buzz was given a little bit of deserved screen time, but the sudden expansion of his electronic vocabulary was certainly plot convenient. That toy certainly got a voice chip upgrade since the first three films.

4) The various convenient obstacles that kept the story from resolving served no purpose except to pad the run time. It was the same affliction that plagued Finding Dory. It became tedious after a while.

5) Finally, I am a bit disturbed by the "free will" concept introduced in this movie. The premise of this series all along has been that toys are made for children to play with, and find their greatest fulfillment in that very thing. While I somewhat understand the idea of a toy no longer wanting to go through the process of loving/losing/loving/losing child after child, suddenly giving the toys a desire to "live their own life" has, IMO, some disturbing implications. The series went from the cute concept of "imagine what misadventures your toys get into when you're not looking" to "they actually have a free will and some of them would choose to escape and have autonomy if you would let them." And given the sheer number of times these toys have moved around in public over the course of four films, it's beyond ridiculous that none of them have ever been caught moving (except when they wanted to be).

OK, I feel better. I just needed to vent because I loved the first three films and felt like this one lost sight of the magic. I still enjoyed it and I did laugh several times, but to me even the specials (Toy Story of Terror, Toy Story That Time Forgot) did a better job of honoring the premise and spirit of the series than this sequel did.
Old 06-24-19, 01:01 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Why in the hell was this film even made!?! Saw it with the family and wow, what a let down. Thank god Pixar announced they will no longer be making sequels. With Lasseter no longer helming the ship, the days of Pixar making smash hits are over and done (I'll save that explanation for another thread). TS3 was the perfect conclusion of this franchise and then they come up with this crap. Loved TS2 and cried like a baby with TS3. But this one, it failed the cry-test, no one in my family cried. And you could tell Pixar tried it's hardest to pull those emotional strings and it fell way flat. There are less than a handful of funny moments, seriously, this should have been relegated to direct to video or never made in the first place.

I want my $57.00 (5 tickets) back Disney! Two thumbs way down.

I highly suggest saving your money to see this and just wait to catch this when it hits the Disney streaming service.
Old 06-24-19, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Did Pixar officially say they were done with sequels? I just thought they didn't have any in development right now. Which leaves the door open, of course. But yeah, there's no reason for another Toy Story movie. Although I'm sure we'll see some of the characters again in shorts, TV specials, etc.
Old 06-24-19, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I enjoyed this quite a bit but also don't really like the ending. Bo Peep became a far more developed character than I thought she ever could be but if Woody really went with his heart I think he would have stayed with Buzz and the rest of the gain. I agree he doesn't really have the connection with Bonnie but it is hard to imagine Buzz and Woody apart and don't think Woody would have made that choice.
Old 06-24-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by BrewCrew
I enjoyed this quite a bit but also don't really like the ending. Bo Peep became a far more developed character than I thought she ever could be but if Woody really went with his heart I think he would have stayed with Buzz and the rest of the gain. I agree he doesn't really have the connection with Bonnie but it is hard to imagine Buzz and Woody apart and don't think Woody would have made that choice.
I think they did a decent job of showing how Woody was solely focused on his role in life to make a kid happy, and how he had accomplished that and didn't really have a role anymore, despite his friendship with the other toys. I thought for a second that they were going to short change Jessie and Bullseye's last interaction with him but they didn't.

If we're going to nitpick this, that were major coincidences that drove this movie (finding the same Bo Peep in some random town, the right voicebox, etc.) but hey, it's a kids' movie. And the kids enjoyed it.

As a parent I would have totally just made another Forky, though.
Old 06-24-19, 11:54 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Did Pixar officially say they were done with sequels? I just thought they didn't have any in development right now. Which leaves the door open, of course. But yeah, there's no reason for another Toy Story movie. Although I'm sure we'll see some of the characters again in shorts, TV specials, etc.
No, not officially. Even Lasseter himself (in the early 2000's) said he hoped Pixar would make more original movies and very few to no sequels at all. But making money can be a son of a bitch, especially when a Co. like Disney ends up buying you. And knowing Disney, they will force Pixar to make Finding Nemo 3 (very likely) in the next few years.

From the Hollywood reporter article about TS4 (link below): "Producer Mark Nielsen says that there’s "a lot of optimism about the future of the studio" since Docter, the Oscar-winning director of Up and Inside Out, was named Pixar’s chief creative. "He’s really looking out for the new voices and really loading up the development pool," Nielsen says, adding, "It’s all original films after this one right now."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/be...redits-1209677
Old 06-24-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think they did a decent job of showing how Woody was solely focused on his role in life to make a kid happy, and how he had accomplished that and didn't really have a role anymore, despite his friendship with the other toys. I thought for a second that they were going to short change Jessie and Bullseye's last interaction with him but they didn't.

If we're going to nitpick this, that were major coincidences that drove this movie (finding the same Bo Peep in some random town, the right voicebox, etc.) but hey, it's a kids' movie. And the kids enjoyed it.

As a parent I would have totally just made another Forky, though.
The odds of finding Bo in a random town may be a reasonable quibble, but the voice box idea was pretty spot on. We’ve known for years that Woody was a late 50s toy. Gabby Gabby was actually taken from the design of a real late 50s toy, Chatty Cathy, which did have a voice box. And there were only a couple of sources for voice boxes during that era, so the idea that they might be the same makes a lot of sense. For all we know, both toys could have been from the same company.

And any any parent who thinks they can fool their child with a replacement toy is just asking for trouble.
Old 06-24-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hanks on the ending.

It’s “a huge change of perception” for Woody that’s “not about closing a door on some other way of living. He doesn't become a monk or something like that,” Hanks tells USA TODAY. “He goes off and forms this other bond with the outside world based on him being a toy and it's pretty profound.”

Buzz’s emotional line to his departing buddy – “Bonnie will be fine” – doesn’t just mean that she’ll be OK without the heroic cowboy, Hanks says. “He's saying she'll be fine because she has us, and the truth is Woody does not have the bond with Bonnie that he had with Andy. So Bonnie is not going to be broken as Andy would have been if this had happened long before.

“To be alive is to be in a constant state of change,” the Oscar-winning actor adds. “How can it be that these movies about toys actually do teach us about what it is to be human beings? It's extraordinary and my hat is off to the Pixar Imagineers that make it happen.”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.