Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
21.62%
37.84%
18.92%
13.51%
8.11%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 06-24-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,168 Likes on 4,198 Posts
Re: Toy Story 4 (Cooley, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Didn't it seem incongruent for every toy in this universe with a mouth to be able to speak to each other except for an army of ventriloquist dummies -- whose one job is to talk? I get that Sid's toys in Toy Story 1 didn't talk and were creepy, but they were Franken-toys, so that was different. There is no reason for all the dummies to be mute except that it made them creepier. I am almost always willing to go along with whatever fantasy rules are established in a movie or series of movies, but they have to be consistent within their own rules (i.e. Toys can speak out loud as long as they're not actually seen talking -- and in Sid's case those rules are bendable)..
Old 06-24-19, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Didn't it seem incongruent for every toy in this universe with a mouth to be able to speak to each other except for an army of ventriloquist dummies -- whose one job is to talk? I get that Sid's toys in Toy Story 1 didn't talk and were creepy, but they were Franken-toys, so that was different. There is no reason for all the dummies to be mute except that it made them creepier. I am almost always willing to go along with whatever fantasy rules are established in a movie or series of movies, but they have to be consistent within their own rules (i.e. Toys can speak out loud as long as they're not actually seen talking -- and in Sid's case those rules are bendable)..
Maybe as ventriloquist dummies they never had a voice of their own because their sole purpose was not really as a toy but as a vehicle for someone else to talk through them. But I dunno, have we ever seen any sock puppets or muppet-like toys?

There are other toys that can't talk, like RC.
Old 06-24-19, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Maybe as ventriloquist dummies they never had a voice of their own because their sole purpose was not really as a toy but as a vehicle for someone else to talk through them. But I dunno, have we ever seen any sock puppets or muppet-like toys?

There are other toys that can't talk, like RC.
^ Doesn't have a mouth.
Old 06-24-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Doesn't have a mouth.
True. Troll then.

Maybe it's just however the kids play with them, if the kids play with them in speaking rolls, then they can talk (so Bullseye acts as a horse and slinky dog can talk). I dunno. the more pressing concern is, are they driving around in the carcass of a dead toy? How does that work?
Old 06-24-19, 04:15 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

They’re dummies. It’s just as simple as that to me. They’re stupid.
Old 06-24-19, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
They’re dummies. It’s just as simple as that to me. They’re stupid.
Okay that works for me.
Old 06-24-19, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

My plot synopsis for Toy Story 4:

Woody has a midlife crisis and realizes that person he is committed to no longer appreciates him anymore (and only sleeps with him on a rare occasion) so he decides to abandon her and run away with another woman.
Old 06-24-19, 05:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees

Woody has a midlife crisis and realizes that person he is committed to no longer appreciates him anymore (and only sleeps with him on a rare occasion) so he decides to abandon her and run away with another woman.
yeah, my takeaway walking out of the movie was that Bo Peep’s a homewrecking bitch, but it’s really Woody who decided to leave and there wasn’t much push from Bo.
Old 06-24-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean, she didn't care all that much about him. He and Forky go missing but she really only notices Forky is gone.
Old 06-26-19, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts

The best part was during the end credits when we get to hear Keanu say “whoa.”

A fun movie. But 2 was the best one.
Old 06-26-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Saw this earlier. What the fuck was that? Wow. I didn't hate it but damn it was not good. Something I doubt I'd ever revisit.

Just some quickies, the score and soundtrack were terrible. What was that song about trash? It had like two lines repeated ad nauseum and monotone delivery at that. Newman phoned that one in. The score was sorely lacking. Scenes that should have had an emotional punch or action were hung out to dry. The humor was sparse and jokes were few and far inbetween. Bunny and chick were forced and not funny. The supporting cast is quite large but many really got the short end of stick this time out. How come there was no short?

Alright how about some good.
  • Duke Caboom delivered. He didn't quite steal the show, but he was the best addition to the gang. And getting a 'whoa' at the end was awesome.
  • Animation was superb. Pixar is at the top of the Hollywood food chain for a reason. Everything was gorgeous. My favorite shot was Woody laying in the driveway in the rain at the beginning. Just a beautiful shot. Possibly Pixar's best. Close second in TS4 was Woody dragging Forky down the road. The detail in the street and foilage was just amazing.
  • Bo getting some much needed character development. Living life on her own was an inspired idea.
  • Forky brought much needed humor (Bo, Bo, Bo!) in a few scenes.
  • The "runaway" RV with the toys driving was easily the funniest thing in the film. The film needed more of that.
  • Liked the free will concept and what it means to be a toy, but the film kinda bumbles its way through it
  • Duke Caboom Pixar logo after the credits
Now on to the heavier stuff. I agree with everything Mr. Flix said below. The absolute worst thing about the film is Woody turning on everything that he's stood for for three movies. Not only that he preaches in this film about a toy's #1 job is being there for a child. So after 3 stints in a closet he says 'fuck it' to his current child and runs out with Bo leaving the gang behind? What the fuck ever. Biggest betrayal of a character ever.

Gabby Gabby and the lost child should have had some emotional punch but it wasn't earned. Here's where a competent score could have manipulated the audience over that hump.

I think the problem is there is no reason for this film to exist. TS3 had the perfect ending so it's an uphill battle from frame 1.

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
I dunno, gang. Warning: long rant to follow.

1) It's a solid animated film, no doubt. But I don't think it's a solid Toy Story movie. My biggest issue is the characterization of Woody. Woody's "thing," from film one, was loyalty to his kid. It was his #1 defining characteristic. So anything short of Bonnie outright and completely rejecting him isn't, in my mind, going to give him reason to leave her. We are given a brief scene at the beginning where she leaves him in the closet, with reference made to the fact that she has done this before, but that would not be cause for the Woody of the first three films to suddenly "follow his heart" and walk away. (Woody was willing to live in Andy's attic forever, for crying out loud, rather than leave him -- and the other toys -- altogether.) And Woody's relationship with Bow was mostly just flirtatious in the first two films. In no way did that relationship mean more to him than Bonnie did; if anything, Woody had stronger emotional ties to Buzz than to Bo. So the ending of the film really didn't sit right with me.

2) I also didn't buy the sudden sympathetic turn of Gabby Gabby. She was willing to kidnap Forky and steal from Woody (and in the process rip him apart), but once she decides to explain her plight, we're supposed to feel sympathy for her? Had they given her more of a redemption arc, maybe the idea would have worked, but instead it came across like, "I'll try the villainous path, and if that doesn't fly, I'll play the sympathy card."

3) This movie felt less like a Toy Story movie than a Woody and Bo movie. I loved the development of Bo in this movie, but man did some major characters (Jesse, Bullseye, the Potato Heads, Rex, Hamm) get sidelined as a result. Buzz was given a little bit of deserved screen time, but the sudden expansion of his electronic vocabulary was certainly plot convenient. That toy certainly got a voice chip upgrade since the first three films.
Old 06-28-19, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was wonderful. Very charming and had a lot of heart warming moments. I was moved seeing Woody and Buzz say goodbye to each other at the end.

Gabby seeing that lost little girl and then coming into her life to help her was a nice end to her story. It was cool how she turned from a semi creepy/villain to actually bringing out a character that just wanted to be loved.

I know movies are subjective, but really how can anyone hate or dislike this movie?

Last edited by DJariya; 06-29-19 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-29-19, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I know movies are subjective, but really how can anyone hate or dislike this movie?
I don't hate or even dislike it, but it arguably pisses all over the characterization of Woody.

My son and I just finished re-watching Toy Story 2 (IMO, the best of the four). Several things stood out to me, mainly Buzz reminding Woody that Woody believes that there is nothing greater for a toy than being loved by a kid. And later, Woody gives up his place in a museum in order to return to Andy, even with the knowledge that his time with Andy will eventually end when Andy grows up (which means the pain of losing a child is outweighed by the joy of being loved by one, even temporarily). And to this point, Woody says, "At least I'll still have you, Buzz."

Both of these points get completely disregarded -- outright contradicted, actually -- in Toy Story 4. Not to mention Woody giving Jesse hope at the prospect of being loved by a new child.

It's difficult to argue in favor of what amounts to servitude in this universe... but given that the premise all along has been that a toy's greatest fulfillment is being loved by a child, the most consistent ending to Toy Story 4 would have seen Woody convincing Bo Beep join him and the gang back at Bonnie's house. For Woody to abandon both Bonnie and his friends is completely inconsistent with what we were shown in all three previous movies.

Again, I don't hate it, but the ending really does mar the movie overall.

Old 06-29-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees

Sounds like an episode of General Hospital. And anyone wondering why this film was made, go to your local Wal-Mart. They have Toy Story merchandise everywhere in the store.
Old 06-30-19, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Toy Story 4 (G) - While not the best of the bunch, this worthy addition to the Toy Story brand is still fun and poignant

Woody (Tom Hanks), Buzz (Tim Allen), Bo Peep (Annie Potts), and to a lesser extent, Jessie (Joan Cusack), Bullseye, Rex (Wallace Shaw), Hamm (John Ratzenberger), Dolly (Bonnie Hunt), Trixie (Kristien Schaal) and the rest of the Andy/Bonnie gang are back for an unprecedented 4th time in Pixar’s newest trip to the nostalgia playroom known as Toy Story. Right off the bat, we know we’re in good hands as the toys are rallying around Bonnie (Madeleine McGraw), who is headed to her kindergarten orientation. Despite Bonnie’s dad’s warning that “toys don’t go to school”, Woody stows away in Bonnie’s backpack to keep an eye on her.

You see, while Woody was the de facto leader and shepherd of the toys in Andy’s room, it’s evident that he is much lower on the hierarchical scale of Bonnie’s room. However, he feels the same deep sense of responsibility toward Bonnie, despite her waning interest in him.

Once at orientation, Bonnie is feeling lonely and dejected, so Woody covertly assists her in creating a new friend, Forky (a manic Tony Hale), a spork with pipe cleaner arms and popsicle stick feet. Bonnie lovingly writes her name on his wooden feet, and he is suddenly her new favorite toy. Woody then spends much of the movie as Forky’s caregiver, as the little plastic utensil is very confused about his existence and purpose.

And that is the theme that runs throughout the new Toy Story film - for a toy, is its sense of identity and purpose completely tied to the love and ownership by a child, or can a toy still have a sense of purpose beyond normal expectations? Pretty heavy food for thought, but the Toy Story movies were never just kid-level entertainment.

I enjoyed the introduction of a slew of new Toy characters, including Giggle McDimples (Ally Maki), Bunny and Ducky, who are sewn together at the hand (Jordan Peele and Keegan-Michael Key, who nearly steal the movie), Duke KaBoom, Canada’s greatest stuntman (Keanu Reeves, who gives the patient viewer a “whoa!” and is almost the MVP of TS4), and Gabby Gabby (Christina Hendricks), a defective doll who runs an antique shop like her own private empire with the help of a quartet of generally silent ventriloquist dolls (Steve Purcell).

I also liked the boldness of the toys in their actions when the possibility of being discovered by humans is so high. But a strong like is about as far as I can take it. I appreciate that the franchise took a chance on a new direction, but would not be disappointed if the series stopped with this one. I’m sure Disney+, the streaming service due in November, would be a good platform for any Toy Story spin-offs.

I have to give my top Toy Story honors to the original (I still remember the joy on my son’s face when he received the hard-to-find Buzz Lightyear that Christmas), Jessie’s story and the evil toy collector make the second one, well, second place, and Andy turning over his toys to Bonnie still brings the tears in the third best entry. However, Toy Story 4 is no slacker, and I handily give it 4 out of 5 lightsabers (the others range from 5 to 4.5).

NOTES TO PARENTS: (Some mild spoilers) Toy Story 4 is rated G, but may still contain elements of concern for the youngest audience members. Bonnie becomes distraught every time she thinks she has misplaced Forky. Forky initially rejects the idea that he is a beloved toy, instead believing he is trash, and tries to throw himself away multiple times. Woody is accidentally stepped on, and his face become briefly misshapen. The creepy Vincent ventriloquist dolls walk oddly and are very menacing looking. The antique store can be dark, dusty and a little scary. Forky is kidnapped by Gabby and the Vincents. Bo-Peep wears a bandage on her arm, we soon find out why. Toys are bashed and bounced around, but suffer no apparent harm. Gabby wants something very personal from Woody, although things turn out fine.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: There are multiple mid-credit scenes that give us a good idea of what is going on with all the toys following this adventure. At the very end of the credits, the Pixar logo is altered in a fun way to fit a couple of characters from the movie.

LIKE and SHARE the review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES with family and friends.

ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under CREATIVE COMMONS.
Old 07-13-19, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
will finish tomorrow. promise!
You remind me of my dad when I was a kid...

Old 07-15-19, 07:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

lol
Old 07-29-19, 10:56 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Just saw this. I laughed a lot, but agree with most of you that Woody leaving is completely out of character. And watching him say goodbye to Buzz was really disappointing. They are one of the greatest onscreen buddies in movie history. Woody would not have left a kid and he would not have left his friend who he’d been through so much with.

But I was completely baffled by the beginning. What was up with that “9 years ago” flashback? It shows Andy as a little boy. 9 years ago was Toy Story 3. Andy was going to college. It left me feeling confused. Like I didn’t know what was going on. But as the rest of the film proved, it’s the filmmakers that don’t really know what’s going on.

If there’s a Toy Story 5 reunion that puts them all back together I think I’ll like this movie a lot more.
Old 07-29-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Just saw this. I laughed a lot, but agree with most of you that Woody leaving is completely out of character. And watching him say goodbye to Buzz was really disappointing. They are one of the greatest onscreen buddies in movie history. Woody would not have left a kid and he would not have left his friend who he’d been through so much with.

But I was completely baffled by the beginning. What was up with that “9 years ago” flashback? It shows Andy as a little boy. 9 years ago was Toy Story 3. Andy was going to college. It left me feeling confused. Like I didn’t know what was going on. But as the rest of the film proved, it’s the filmmakers that don’t really know what’s going on.

If there’s a Toy Story 5 reunion that puts them all back together I think I’ll like this movie a lot more.
? Do you think Toy Story happens in real time or something? How old do you think Bonnie is?
Old 07-29-19, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
? Do you think Toy Story happens in real time or something? How old do you think Bonnie is?
The first three DID happen in real time. The same boy played Andy in all of them.
Old 07-29-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The first three DID happen in real time. The same boy played Andy in all of them.
Now I'm confused. Maybe the first two are in real time.

But the first one came out in like '95, the third one in 2010. He's 6 in the first one, so he's going to college at 21?

I don't think you can take voice actor age into consideration for stuff like this, too. Regardless, there's like a 9 year gap between 3 and 4, unless Bonnie is a really really really late bloomer I think she's younger than that going into Kindergarten.
Old 07-29-19, 12:04 PM

No, 4 takes place right after 3 (within a year or so), not in real-time. Toy Story 1, 2, and 3 take place in "essentially" real time, which is why the same voice actor who is a young boy in 1 can still play the part in 2 and 3.
Old 07-29-19, 12:23 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

1995: Toy Story
1997: Toy Story 2
2007: Toy Story 3
2007: Toy Story 4
Old 07-29-19, 01:28 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

A good screenplay should not cause this much confusion. Especially in the first 15 seconds of the movie.

Especially when the flashback was completely unnecessary.

Last edited by Mabuse; 07-29-19 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-29-19, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IIRC, one of the writers was interviewed and they stated there is a 2-yr gap between TS3 and TS4. I need to find that article again.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.