Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Men in Black: International (F. Gary Gray, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Men in Black: International (F. Gary Gray, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Review
0%
9.09%
9.09%
27.27%
36.36%
9.09%
9.09%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Men in Black: International (F. Gary Gray, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 06-14-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts
Re: Men in Black: International (F. Gary Gray, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Saw the movie this afternoon. Wasn't bad. Typical MiB. Chris and Tessa work well together and Emma Thompson was good.

Keep an eye out for a Thor reference.
Old 06-14-19, 07:27 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
Re: Men in Black: International (F. Gary Gray, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Kinda wonder now why still called Men in Black. Couldn’t they come up with something creative to include all?
Old 06-14-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They had women in the organization before and it was still Men in Black. Who the fuck cares? Sony is supposed to rebrand a franchise so everyone can feel included by a fucking film title?
Old 06-14-19, 08:03 PM

I care. Clicky cares.
Old 06-14-19, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Kinda wonder now why still called Men in Black. Couldn’t they come up with something creative to include all?
It was addressed in the movie, jokingly.
Old 06-14-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

Just got back from seeing it in Dolby.

It was okay and had some cool moments, but it feels like an old Men in Black movie. They didn't really add anything new. It's mostly forgettable.

I did like Tessa Thompson and Chris Hemsworth in this, They worked well together. The reveal that Neeson's character "T" was the bad guy wasn't too surprising.
Old 06-15-19, 04:34 PM

Received 763 Likes on 497 Posts

I saw it this morning... a 3.5/5 for me.

Formulaic but enjoyable.

They could have done a bit more with what they had, but I was entertained nonetheless.
Old 06-15-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It was addressed in the movie, jokingly.
In reality, isn't the titled based on actual UFO conspiracy theories. That supposedly, after someone claims to have seen a UFO or been abducted by aliens, some male, government official-looking types, "men in black", later visit these people and threaten them to keep silent about it?
Changing the name gets away from the lore and conspiracy of the subject itself.
Old 06-17-19, 01:02 PM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

It was ok, but I was bored at times.

I forgot Rebecca Ferguson was in this.
Old 06-17-19, 01:02 PM

finish tomorrow.
So much for that.
Old 06-17-19, 05:44 PM

In 2016, Sony Pictures’ top executives, including chief Tom Rothman, faced a dilemma: Should they greenlight a reboot of Men in Black or pursue a Men in Black crossover with a second franchise, 21 Jump Street? The stakes were high. A misstep could kill a franchise. Or two.

Initially, Sony tried to make deals for the crossover route. That plan was ambitious, requiring names such as Steven Spielberg and Walter Parkes on the Black side, and Chris Miller and Phil Lord on the Jump Street side to forgo rich producing deals. But when Street producer Neal Moritz refused to compromise on his customary first-dollar pact, according to several sources with knowledge of the talks and development of both projects, the studio pivoted to the straight Men in Black reboot.

That Sony would attempt to relaunch the franchise without Will Smith was a roll of the dice. The studio was already trying to cut a deal with the megastar for Bad Boys 3 and, internally, getting the actor along with original trilogy co-star Tommy Lee Jones for a fourth MIB film was seen as both an expensive and not as forward-looking proposition, sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

That choice, to relaunch the franchise with new stars, would lead to a battle between director and producer and, ultimately, a crash landing at the box office. Men in Black: International, a hoped-for relaunch of a franchise whose three previous films — released in 1997, 2002 and 2012 — grossed over $1.6 billion, opened to only $30.1 million stateside. It was, if not a franchise killer, a franchise freezer.

The Will Smith-Tommy Lee Jones MIB films all bowed in the low-to-mid $50 million range. In the months prior to release, Sony and industry experts had given up on International opening near those numbers, with some anticipating a low $30 million debut and high-end estimates coming in at $38 million. Sony was hoping to bring in a new fanbase for MIB, thinking that International would be able to capitalize on Thompson and Hemsworth’s combined star power following their team-up in the critically and commercially successful Marvel Studios sequel Thor: Ragnarok.

The studio was also initially high on the screenplay by Art Marcum and Matt Holloway. “The script was good,” says one insider. “You don’t attract Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson if the script isn’t good.” It’s a sentiment echoed by several insiders familiar with the development of International who spoke to THR on condition of anonymity.

But when the executive overseeing the project, exec vp production David Beaubaire, exited the studio in summer 2018 and was never replaced, a tug-of-war began. Director F. Gary Gray, who helmed Straight Outta Compton and The Fate of the Furious, and Walter Parkes, the veteran producer and Spielberg confidant who helped make the original movie, clashed on the vision for the film, a source says. Parkes produced the movie with his wife and longtime business partner, Laurie MacDonald.

Early drafts of the script were described as being edgier and more timely, tying the story to the current debate surrounding immigration. At one point, a music group a la The Beatles were to be the bad guys, with four people merging into one villain. Multiple sources describe Parkes, who had final cut on the movie and who had written movies such as the 1980s classic WarGames and the Robert Redford thriller Sneakers, as having a heavy hand in overseeing rewrites not only during the preproduction process but during production as well.

One source says new pages arrived daily for the actors, causing a certain amount of confusion, as well as stripping away what some considered the more modern sensibilities. Thompson and Hemsworth then hired their own dialogue writers. (Both Marcum and Holloway were on set even as Parkes looked to dictate rewrites, another source notes, seconding that multiple dialogue writers served stints on set for the actors.)

Two sources say that Parkes at times also stepped in on helming duties, although no Directors Guild of America rules were said to have been violated. Gray tried to exit the production several times but was convinced to stay by the studio, a source says.

Even color-correcting was a source of contention between the director and producer. "Walter is both the arsonist and the fireman," contends an insider.

Remarkably, the postproduction process was relatively smooth. There were no major reshoots and test screenings were mainly limited to friends and family on the lot, says one source. “It wasn’t a Dark Phoenix situation,” says the studio source, referring to the recent X-Men movie that faced reshoots and major retooling after principal photography had wrapped.

The studio tested two cuts — one by Gray, the other by Parkes — with the version by Parkes, who has final cut, being chosen. “The studio was an absentee landlord. They were nowhere to be found,” says one International insider, pointing to the lack of guidance from Sony over multiple disagreements that had broken out between Parkes and Gray.

What Rothman did ensure, however, was that the studio’s exposure was limited. The movie cost in the $110 million range and the executive brought in Chinese conglomerate Tencent and several other co-financiers. The marketing and publicity budget spend was said to be on the lower side due to various tie-ins.

In the end, the movie was met with a lowly 25 percent score on Rotten Tomatoes and a B CinemaScore, indicating that audiences, those who did show up, shrugged. “The urgency to see this was never there, and the movie needed a greater reason to be,” says a Sony executive.

Yet, in these franchise-hungry days at studios, even a failure like this won't kill the franchise, executives agree. “Aliens walking among us is at its core a great idea,” this Sony executive adds. “Men in Black will be revisited again at one point, either as a series, as streaming, or as another movie.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...rgency-1218949
Old 06-18-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 184 Posts

Damage control. Good luck.
Old 06-18-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,126 Likes on 887 Posts

Despite liking the leads this had dud written all over it from the first trailer. I'll wait for it to be available streaming if I ever decide to give it a watch.
Old 06-19-19, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This movie is the definition of "fine". It's pleasant enough while you're watching it, but I've already all but forgotten this movie was a thing. I don't think I've thought about it once after the night I've seen it.

I really like Tessa Thompson, but she seemed to get swallowed up by this role. She's a dynamic actor and person, but the character she was playing was kinda boring. It would have been a retread and a half, but I couldn't help wondering how much better a Michael B Jordan type would have been in the new Will Smith role. To be clear, i think Thompson is a better actor than Jordan, but Jordan has that special something that I feel this role called for. Real talk? Put Thompson in Hemsworth's role, and I bet she would have killed that.
Old 06-19-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this last night while waiting for my daughter at the Billie Eilish concert, not sure why this movie was even made, the actors were fine, but this whole storyline seemed very tired and dated to me at this point... I give it a 2.5/5
Old 06-19-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 834 Posts

That story explains a lot ... it was an enjoyable afternoon, but nothing was memorable. Everything felt sanitized and stripped down, even the usually dynamic Tessa Thompson. There was no message to the film, just a plot that had to be pushed along.

Here is what I did get out of it ... aliens are REAL and this film is telling us that in code, just like the tabloid hotsheets.

Who are some of the key players of the movie?

Liam Neeson ... use some of the letters in his name and you get ... ALIEN
Emma Thompson ... E.T. ... duh!
F. Gary Gray ... Gray ... Greys! And “F. Gary”? Where would one “eff” Gary? In the butt! Anal probes!

Old 06-21-19, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
That story explains a lot ... it was an enjoyable afternoon, but nothing was memorable. Everything felt sanitized and stripped down, even the usually dynamic Tessa Thompson. There was no message to the film, just a plot that had to be pushed along.

Here is what I did get out of it ... aliens are REAL and this film is telling us that in code, just like the tabloid hotsheets.

Who are some of the key players of the movie?

Liam Neeson ... use some of the letters in his name and you get ... ALIEN
Emma Thompson ... E.T. ... duh!
F. Gary Gray ... Gray ... Greys! And “F. Gary”? Where would one “eff” Gary? In the butt! Anal probes!

Post is better then the movie.
Old 06-22-19, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Yet, in these franchise-hungry days at studios, even a failure like this won't kill the franchise, executives agree. “Aliens walking among us is at its core a great idea,” this Sony executive adds. “Men in Black will be revisited again at one point, either as a series, as streaming, or as another movie.”

Isn't the concept already dated though? Aliens and UFOS started in the 50s and peaked in the 90s.
Apple iPhones came out and all of a sudden all those claims of being abducted and seeing flying saucers went down. No one is saying that they were visited by mysterious men in black anymore. The Weekly World News isn't even in publication.
Wouldn't it be better to reboot the concept completely with more modern conspiracy theories? Lizard people, The Illuminati, clones, YouTube, etc?
Old 06-25-19, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,216 Likes on 834 Posts

Is the concept dated? Not at all. There was plenty of modern social commentary that could have been incorporated.
Old 06-30-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES www.facebook.com/orbiwanreviews

MIB International (PG-13) - Fresh faces, focus on new characters, and just a lot of weird, funny action bolster this great addition to the MIB franchise. More, please!

Yeah, yeah, I know, in my Toy Story 4 review, I seemed to be getting a little tired of extended franchises. BUT, while the focus of Toy Story was mainly on old characters, and did kind of rehash some well-worn territory, I personally did not think this was the case with MIB International, this time helmed by F. Gary Gray, who recently directed the amazingly crazy Fate of the Furious. He brings the same level of over-the-top action with a fresh story, new locations, and a new cast including the absolutely lovely Tessa Thompson and oh-so-funny Chris Helmsworth (working together again after the insane Thor: Ragnarok and again briefly in Avengers: Endgame).

This time, Tessa plays Molly, who as a child, not only met an alien, but witnessed her parents get neuralized (flashy-thinged) by men in black two decades earlier. In the interim, she has spent her life preparing for, and actively seeking membership in, this deep-secreted organization devoted to sheltering the Earth from hostiles from space, and protecting both human and alien refugees alike who live in peace on this planet. Using her intuition and wits, she manages to infiltrate the New York headquarters, and so impresses Agent O (Emma Thompson, who continues to rule in this role) that she is made a probationary agent and sent to London for her first assignment under the tutelage of Agent High T (Liam Neesen).

She manages to manipulate her way into a partnership with Agent H (Helmsworth), a field agent basking in the glow of past glory, but who’s basically become careless and now coasts from job to job, some successful, some not quite. On their first outing, they encounter of couple of shape-shifting alien soldiers (Laurent and Larry Bourgeois) who intent on retrieving a weapon of mass destruction that’s been smuggled to Earth. The two agents end up on the run, but not before Agent M acquires a very small alien admirer (voice of Jumail Nanjiani, sounding like Patton Oswald at times) who pledges his loyalty to her and actually becomes a useful part of their team.

MIB International is a much needed shot-in-the-arm for the MIB franchise. I really think there are a lot of stories that can be told in this universe, given the right writers and directors, and as long as future chapters retain the fun, adventure, and sense of humor that are essential parts of the first four films. Make a couple more with Agents M and H, then move on to another pairing with actors that spark interest in audiences and have a great chemistry and senses of comic timing.

As you can tell, I really liked MIB International a lot. It tickled me just right, and I am a bit sorry now that I did not see it earlier and get the word out quicker. I am giving MIB International 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers, and I really hope someone makes the right decision and continue this series, even if it is on a streaming service. Sony’s Crackle, anyone?

NOTES TO PARENTS: (Some mild spoilers) MIB International is rated PG-13 for sci-fi action and violence, mild innuendo, a couple of gooey, but never gory, scenes, a brief but humorous sexual encounter, and some generally mild language. There may have been a nearly incomprehensible “F” bomb, I could not tell due to thickish British accents. Other than that, the language is limited to the word “a**” in a few combinations, a couple of “d**k”, and a handful of “s**t” and “d**n”. An explosion blows Agent H down an elevator shaft, but he’s okay. A couple of aliens turn two humans into gooey messes. During a fight, several people are bitten by a small three-headed alien snake. A female alien agrees to save Agent H after he tells her he will give her anything she wants. The next scene shows him waking up in bed next to her, nothing sexually graphic is shown. An alien diplomat mistakenly believes he may have sex with Agent M, and she makes it clear it is not happening. Agents H and M are involved in multiple laser gun fights, a rocket cycle chase, and fist-fights with different types of aliens over the course of the movie.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: There are no mid- or after-credit scenes. Go home.

LIKE and SHARE the review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES with family and friends. www.facebook.com/orbiwanreviews

ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under CREATIVE COMMONS.
Old 06-30-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

“4.5 out of 5”

I think you misspelled 3.5 out of 5.

The movie was okay but 4.5 essentially makes it one of the best movies ever made.
I’d be willing to go as high as 4 but that would be a stretch.

Boy, 4.5 wow.
Old 06-30-19, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
“4.5 out of 5”

I think you misspelled 3.5 out of 5.

The movie was okay but 4.5 essentially makes it one of the best movies ever made.
I’d be willing to go as high as 4 but that would be a stretch.

Boy, 4.5 wow.
My review, my opinion. There’s been plenty others have raved about that left me scratching my head, so I guess it’s my turn LOL...
Old 06-30-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah for sure.
It is you’re opinion. I just don’t agree with it.

Old 06-30-19, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by whotony
Yeah for sure.
It is you’re opinion. I just don’t agree with it.

And your point at lashing out about someone’s opinion is?
Spoiler:
To forward intelligent discussion on the matter? Yeah, that’s gotta be it.
Old 06-30-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And your point at lashing out about someone’s opinion is?
Spoiler:
To forward intelligent discussion on the matter? Yeah, that’s gotta be it.
I offered my opinion on his opinion.

I feel like your trying to say that if someone, in this case Orbi offers a fully realized and detailed review on a movie that no one is allowed to offer an opinion on the review.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.