Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Last Planet (D: Terrence Malick) a film based on the life of Jesus Christ

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-10-19, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

https://theplaylist.net/terrence-mal...esus-20190609/

Terrence Malick wrote me a letter when he saw [‘Silence’], and he said, ‘What does Christ want from us?’,” Martin Scorsese revealed during the Tribeca Film Festival. The question of grace, life, spirituality, creation, the meaning of life and all of our big questions about the universe have consumed Malick’s entire career, but especially in its second half kicking off with “The Tree Of Life.” Now, Malick is reportedly taking the question posed to Scorsese and kicking into high gear with a movie allegedly about the life of Jesus Christ.

Corriere Citta and various Italian publications (via The Film Stage), are reporting that Malick has begun production on a new film purportedly called “The Last Planet” near Anzio, south of Rome, notably in the nature reserve of Tor Caldara.

Here’s an inexact Google translation that gets the point across, including a welcome note from the mayor of Anzio where the movie is shooting.

The film, with a historical and religious theme, narrates various passages in the life of Christ, with the representation of evangelical parables, some of which will be filmed, in mid-June, in the Tor Caldara Nature Reserve location, and on the adjacent, adjoining beach.

“The City of Anzio – says the Mayor, Candido De Angelis – is honored to have been chosen by a director and contemporary artist of the international depth of Terrence Malick.”

The movie has apparently already been underway for a few weeks now, but no news of casting has surfaced. Malick recently debuted his latest film, “A Hidden Life,” about a famous Austrian conscience objector in the middle of WWII, at the 2019 Cannes Film Festival to rave reviews (including ours). While three hours in length, many critics, a little frustrated with his meandering last few films, called the movie a major return to form. Fox Searchlight acquired the rights of the film for a reported $14 million, and are presumably setting it for an awards season debut later this fall. More details when they surface.

Old 06-10-19, 05:24 AM

Re: The Last Planet (D: Terrence Malick) a film based on the life of Jesus Christ

Eh...
Old 06-10-19, 05:54 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The Last Planet (D: Terrence Malick) a film based on the life of Jesus Christ

What a weird name for a movie about Jesus. I expected a new scifi movie when I opened this thread. I personally feel this topic has been fully explored already, not much need to explore it further. No interest from this corner.
Old 06-10-19, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If "A Hidden Life" is as good as a lot of reviews have suggested, I look forward to anything Malick does.
Old 06-10-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Whose cast? Sounds like it’s already filming.
Old 06-10-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Terrence Malick movies playing over and over would be my own personal hell.
Old 06-10-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Whose cast? Sounds like it’s already filming.
He can play Jesus.

Old 06-11-19, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope Malick choses a cast who, at least, looks Jewish.