Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Scrooged remake starring Kevin Hart

Old 06-07-19, 04:54 PM

Scrooged remake starring Kevin Hart

A Christmas Carol is the gift that keeps on giving to Hollywood.

Paramount and Kevin Hart have teamed up to develop a remake of Scrooged, the 1988 Christmas comedy that starred Bill Murray and was directed by Richard Donner.

The update is being eyed as a potential acting vehicle for Hart, who will produce via his Hartbeat Productions. A search for a writer to pen the script is underway.

Scrooged was a modern retelling of Charles Dickensí A Christmas Carol, centering on a selfish television executive, played by Murray, who is visited by various ghosts who help him regain his Christmas spirit. Also in the cast were Karen Allen, Bobcat Goldthwait and Robert Mitchum.

The movie was a moderate box office hit when it was released but has become a cult hit and Christmas fixture. One reason for the long-lasting appeal is the movie's irreverent but still heartfelt take on the Dickens material, which has been adapted for screens big and small numerous times, with performers ranging from Marcel Marceau to Jim Carrey to even Mickey Mouse taking on the characters.

Hart is currently gearing up to shoot Fatherhood, Sonyís adaptation of the weepy best-seller Two Kisses for Maddie, which Paul Weitz is directing this summer. Hart is also among the projectís producers.

He is one of the voice stars of The Secret Life of Pets 2, which Universal and Illumination open Friday, and next appears on the big screen in the sequel to Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle, which opens December.

Hart is repped by UTA, 3 Arts Entertainment and Schreck Rose.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...remake-1209548
Old 06-07-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Scrooged remake starring Kevin Hart

I won't be watching this so I don't care one way or the other if it is remade. I just don't see anyone other than Bill Murray being able to made this film funny. Murray is one of those actors who is not replaceable for the roles that he takes due to his personality. Groundhog Day would suck with anyone other than him starring. Same goes for Peter Venkmen, no one can play smarmy like Bill Murray.
Old 06-07-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kevin Hart, please go away. Far far away.
Old 06-07-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 06-07-19, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why do they keep betting on this lame horse? Sure, he banks on anything he and THE ROCK are in together. Hart running as headliner alone? Nope. Besides, I love Scrooged. Zero reason for this to be remade in any manner.
Old 06-07-19, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This has a shitload of possibilities if they get a good writer and director and infuse it with some of the plight that minorities deal with. A scathing satire would be amazing. I hope Boots Riley is involved somehow.
Old 06-07-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As much as I want to see Boots make another totally original film that's not a bad idea.
Old 06-07-19, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
This has a shitload of possibilities if they get a good writer and director and infuse it with some of the plight that minorities deal with. A scathing satire would be amazing. I hope Boots Riley is involved somehow.
I might give it a chance if anyone but Kevin fucking Hart wasn't attached to it.
Old 06-07-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ True. Hart would have to give the director free reign and I don't see Boots doing a big studio picture anytime soon/ever. It was just wishful thinking on my part.
Old 06-07-19, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-08-19, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see the point in doing a straight remake of the 1988 film and (presumably) giving it that same title, as opposed to another telling of A Christmas Carol. A classic story that gets redone again and again doesn't have nearly as much of the stigma of a remake attached to it, and it would be just as marketable.
Old 06-08-19, 10:54 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Please.....no.
Old 06-09-19, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Isn't Hart's 15 minutes of fame over?
Old 06-09-19, 04:53 PM

Iím actually looking forward to this. I think Iím the only Kevin Hart fan here, lol.
Old 06-10-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The_Cube View Post
Iím actually looking forward to this. I think Iím the only Kevin Hart fan here, lol.
Lol me too. I'm not a huge Hart fan, but I enjoyed him in Get Hard and The Upside. Imagining him in this role sounds instantly funny to me!
Old 06-10-19, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

not only no, but fuck no. Sounds like a train wreck and not in a watchable way.
Old 06-10-19, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm more confused by this part
Hart is currently gearing up to shoot Fatherhood, Sony’s adaptation of the weepy best-seller Two Kisses for Maddie, which Paul Weitz is directing this summer.
Kevin Hart is going to be in a weepy drama?
Old 06-10-19, 09:13 AM

Kevin Hart is fine, but he seems woefully miscast in this. Bill Murray's sardonic wit and deadpan delivery were perfect for the role, I don't see how Hart's manic energy will translate.
Old 06-10-19, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't have a problem with Kevin Hart. Generally, he makes me laugh a lot of the times. I haven't seen all of his movies though. I've heard a few radio interviews with him in Philly, and he sounds like a really nice person irl too.

But, I'm not a big fan of remakes. Lately there have been a few that have been likable, more so in the TV realm that I've noticed. I'll check it out at least once.

I would think every actor/musician would try to get a holiday hit. If you get a holiday hit that lives on forever you're "set". Not really, but it helps.
Old 06-10-19, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iím not a fan of Hartís standup, it sounds WAY too rehearsed, but heís fine as an actor in comedies. Heís got just enough self-deprecating humor to be likable on screen.

I could take or leave this movie. Another Christmas Carol remake should hardly register as a blip on anyoneís radar, even if it does have a Scrooged twist to it.