Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Simon Kinberg) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rating
0%
0%
8.57%
17.14%
28.57%
22.86%
14.29%
5.71%
0%
0%
2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Simon Kinberg) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 08-06-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Re: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Simon Kinberg) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

This is basically getting the blame for the 170 million operating loss that Disney took in the Fox deal this past quarter, and the cancellation of most of what Fox was working on before the merger. Oof.
Old 09-07-19, 05:20 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I kinda feel sorry for his film 5.9 and 70K votes on imdb versus 8.6 and 550K votes for endgame

250K worldwide gross v 2 billion

I consider X-men (2000) the first modern Superhero movie, the first one where it was a realistic portrayal and X2 raised the bar even more

It's sad to see this series end on such a low note

I guess it can now be reborn in the MCU

This movie was ok, compared to a lot of other movies released this year it would be considered good, just compared to endgame, it stunk

Felt absolutely nothing when Mystique died, compared to when Tony died in Endgame

wasn't a fan of the Dark Phoenix story in X3 and wasn't really that thrilled about it now

Cyclops matching it with Magneto, cmon, Magneto would kill that pussy in seconds

The fight in the train was good and that is where superhero movies should be excelling. When you have powers v powers but no one has ridiculous level powers and the fights are like enhanced hand to hand combat, not obliterate everything with one wave. When you get Phoenix level powers/Captain Marvel level that is when it just gets boring

Biggest missed opportunity was not having Dazzler part of the action showing her powers, that would have been cool
Old 09-07-19, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I think part of it feeling like it fell flat is that I went into it knowing it was basically the last of this iteration and that the franchise will soon be rebooted so it felt like the whole movie didn't matter to me. That and at least to me, the X-MEN movies never really sold me on the cast since they kind of soft-rebooted it with Days of Future Past. They just didn't compare to the cast of the original trilogy imo and most of the cast didn't get the proper build up they deserved, I guess in part because the movies are always a huge ensemble cast. The only one who truly had their moment to shine was Wolverine. Would've loved to see where they went with X23 after Logan, but that's obviously not happening. So here's to looking forward to hopefully something new when it's incorporated into the MCU. I hope they take the Spider-man approach as in introduce new villains and such rather than retread on the same plotlines already done at least for a bit. I'd even be happy to see some stand-alone films from the X-MEN franchise rather than just the whole X-MEN team every movie. Give the cast time to be built up and grow like they did with Iron Man, Thor, Ant-Man, Captain America, etc.
Old 09-07-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

The reboot cast was a mixed bag. McAvoy and Fassbender were great. The actors playing Beast and Quicksilver were pretty good as well. The cast they tried to incorporate as the actual main team (Cyclops, Storm, Jean) weren’t particularly good or bad. They were just bland, which probably comes down to the fact that we only got two films with them and neither were particularly good.
Old 09-07-19, 09:57 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Let's be honest

Turner and Lawrence stunk up the place within the younger cast. Trying to capitalise on their ahem popularity
Old 09-08-19, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Neither one of them bothered me but the cast overall just never looked like they fit their roles.
Old 09-08-19, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Turner probably could have been decent as Jean. Problem is that we’re expected to care about her character when she’s hardly developed. I actually don’t hate this movie as much as most though. It’s not good but I think it’s better than the other films in the franchise that are considered bad (The Last Stand, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and Apocalypse). Not the highest praise I realize but I think the movie is watchable enough.
Old 09-09-19, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts

The whole alien bit was like WTF to me...
Old 09-09-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
The reboot cast was a mixed bag. McAvoy and Fassbender were great. The actors playing Beast and Quicksilver were pretty good as well. The cast they tried to incorporate as the actual main team (Cyclops, Storm, Jean) weren’t particularly good or bad. They were just bland, which probably comes down to the fact that we only got two films with them and neither were particularly good.
The weird thing is, as much as I hated the idea of splintering off various Spider-man villains into their own movies, I really think a Fassbender solo Magneto movie would've been great. I mean, that was the best part of First Class.
Old 09-09-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
The weird thing is, as much as I hated the idea of splintering off various Spider-man villains into their own movies, I really think a Fassbender solo Magneto movie would've been great. I mean, that was the best part of First Class.
I think very few villains are worthy of having their own films, but I do think Magneto is one of the only exceptions. He’s as interesting as any of the main heroes in the X-Men and you could tell his struggle as a mutant from the opposite side of Charles and company and it would still be an interesting story.

Most of the Spider-Man villains are too reliant on needing someone to oppose (mainly Spidey obviously) to make them interesting. I think that’s the difference. Venom kind of works on his own because he’s popular enough and you can have him go up against Carnage and other symbiote characters. I actually do think that Dr. Doom could probably warrant a solo film too, but I never trusted Fox to do it well so I’m glad that was axed after the Disney acquisition.
Old 09-09-19, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
The fact that we don't have Fassbender starring in "Magneto: Nazi Hunter" as a standalone movie is the biggest missed opportunity from the whole franchise.
Old 09-09-19, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,799 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Being a dumbass completist I couldn’t avoid getting this on Vudu. If there’s a perfect cinematic version of this story this isn’t it, but I felt that up until the punk ending it was decent and not at all as bad as some say. Maybe having drastically lowered expectations helps.

Then again, the original comic story arc was perfect in its own right, so why try to recreate perfection anyway?
Old 09-11-19, 07:32 AM

Received 503 Likes on 364 Posts

Just watched this. It wasn't bad. Based on the horrible reviews, I was expecting a total wreck. It's not something I'll watch multiple times. But I enjoyed watching it once.
Old 09-11-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

This is up on Amazon. It's worth watching if your an X-Men fan. A lot of it is rehashed info. but it's kind of cool seeing Chris and others that worked on the book talk about it.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EtalDJUKhLw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-11-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I always loved Paul W Smith's art.. underrated.
Old 09-11-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I always loved Paul W Smith's art.. underrated.
Agreed. Cockrum started the Claremont run and obviously Byrne did the most iconic storyline, but Smith was awesome. His collaborations with James Robinson on the Golden Age and Leave it to Chance were great.
Old 09-11-19, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Nothing after 2011 lived up to the promise of X-Men: First Class. Matthew Vaughan teed up a near perfect X-Men movie (January Jones... eesh), after which Singer and Company were all "We'll just take over from here" and ran it into the ground.

I include DOFP in that assessment. It's a good (but not great) X-Men movie -- structurally it's a bit of a mess. And then everything afterward... ugh.
Old 09-15-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Not as bad as I feared and the plot in and of itself was fine, as were the performances (outside of accents going in and out depending on the scene), even Sophie Turner was okay, the visual effects were alright and the direction serviceable. However, the biggest problem was the dialogue which ranged from predictable (to the point I could predict lines from time to time) to absolutely atrocious.

Not sure where this ranks amongst the "franchise", though initially I'd say it is above Apocalypse, a movie I didn't care much for but a far cry from First Class and Days of Future Past. 2.75/5
Old 09-16-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I really liked Dark Phoenix. Too bad it didn't do well at the box office. IMO, it was a much better movie than Apocalypse.

I still like the Last Stand. Not perfect but still very entertaining.
Old 09-19-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Redboxed this and it was not as atrocious as I was expecting. It's better than Last Stand and even Wolverine:Origins. You can feel it being a bit off, with the reshoots, and the fact that it's a very compressed version of Dark Phoenix Saga. I had to google who the aliens were. They also said fuck it and never introduced Mister Sinister since he was foreshadowed in the Apocalypse after-credits.

Maybe he'll be the main villain once Disney reboots this as part of the MCU?
Old 09-19-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Nothing after 2011 lived up to the promise of X-Men: First Class. Matthew Vaughan teed up a near perfect X-Men movie (January Jones... eesh), after which Singer and Company were all "We'll just take over from here" and ran it into the ground.

I include DOFP in that assessment. It's a good (but not great) X-Men movie -- structurally it's a bit of a mess. And then everything afterward... ugh.
Ditto. I was thinking about all the X-Men movies (9 is it?)
And from those, only 3 really stand out to me. The rest i'll watch but they are sub par

1- X-Men First Class
2- Logan
3- Days of Future Past (which agree is a bit of a mess at times, it has some great moments)

So after all its said and done 3 really good X-Men movies I can watch over and over. Even if they don't make any more I am satisfied
Old 09-19-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I'd throw The Wolverine in that list although the end was a little disappointing robbing us of Kenuichiro Harada as the Silver Samurai. I wanted more with Yukio.
Old 09-19-19, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorites of the entire X-Men franchise are:

First Class
The Wolverine
Logan

All the rest I can pretty much do without watching again.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-01-20 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-20-19, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

I remember watching X-Men Origins: Wolverine and just being gobsmacked by every stupid action movie cliche imaginable: walking slowly away from explosions, characters holding a dead loved one and turning upwards screaming NOOOOOO at the sky (with an overhead shot -- they did this THREE TIMES!), etc.

If I had to rank them -- and I will, up until DP which I haven;t seen yet:

First Class
Deadpool
X2
DOFP
Logan
Apocalypse
Deadpool 2
The Wolverine
X-Men
The Last Stand
X-Men Origins: Wolverine
Old 09-20-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Since we're doing this (most based only off of memory since I haven't seen many in several years):

1. X2: X-Men United
2. X-Men: Days of Future Past
3. Logan
4. X-Men
5. X-Men: First Class
6. Deadpool 2
7. The Wolverine
8. Deadpool
9. X-Men: Dark Phoenix
10. X-Men: Apocalypse
11. X-Men: The Last Stand
12. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.