Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Simon Kinberg) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rating
0%
0%
10.34%
17.24%
27.59%
27.59%
10.34%
3.45%
0%
0%
3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Simon Kinberg) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 06-09-19, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Simon Kinberg) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I went in thinking the worst and ended up liking it fine. Way better than Apocalypse. Iíd put it on par with the first X-Men movie. Loved seeing Dazzler and Genosha. And Nightcrawler got some neat moments too. Overall, not too shabby. Definitely doesnít deserve the hate thatís being piled on.
Old 06-09-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought this was actually pretty decent. It's alittle dull, but not the trainwreck the critics make it out to be. The train sequence was top notch action too.
Old 06-10-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: X-Men: Dark Phoenix (2019, D: Kinberg) S: McAvoy, Fassbender, Lawrence, Turner, Hoult

This move was terrible. Disjointed mess, phoned in performances, nonsensical, meandering script, underdeveloped plot, just all around bad. There were two people in the theater with me. On opening weekend.
Old 06-10-19, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great write up on everything that went wrong:

https://deadline.com/2019/06/dark-ph...hy-1202629749/

Edit, and another:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...-plans-1216859

Last edited by stingermck; 06-10-19 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-10-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck View Post
Great write up on everything that went wrong:

https://deadline.com/2019/06/dark-ph...hy-1202629749/
That's interesting stuff. It really got hurt by getting pushed around. It's better than Apocalypse, Origins and Last Stand, easily. It shouldn't be getting trounced this hard.
Old 06-10-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From the outset, it seemed that Fox, led by Stacey Snider and Emma Watts, and producers Simon Kinberg and Hutch Parker had learned the wrong lessons from the disappointing Apocalypse.

Insiders tell The Hollywood Reporter that in a series of postmortem meetings on Apocalypse, execs came away thinking that the movie's failure had been due to an excessive amount of explosions and scale, not due to franchise fatigue generally. "There was a misguided feeling that [Apocalypse] was an anomaly, that we just got it wrong," says one Fox insider familiar with those meetings. "We were wrong."
Old 06-10-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those were interesting reads. It definitely sounds like moving around the dates to accommodate Cameron, the bad publicity of reshoots and delays, and the Marvel-Fox merger helped contribute to the poor performance.

For me as a movie goer, none of that really mattered to me. I had no interest in seeing Apocalypse when it was in theaters. The X-Men just prevented Judgment Day in DOFP, and everything went back to normal, with the original cast happy and alive at the X-mansion. The perfect swan song for the entire saga.

But then Fox comes out with Apocalypse. If they were going to continue the series at least give us a break from the doomsday, end-of-the-world threat. It seems like the producers recognized that to some degree, but they choose to follow it up with sequel that's pretty much another end-of-the-world threat, with Dark Phoenix having the ability to destroy entire worlds. And on top of that, audiences didn't have enough time to get emotionally invested in Jean's character to care much about her turn to the dark side.
Old 06-10-19, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow that was bad. That was really really bad. Just a hair above X3. Way worse than Apocalypse. It was so dull and mediocre, lacked any charm or heart, or emotion, or joy, or fun. Just a dreary movie. Yeah sure you see Genosha, but it looks like a homeless camp. Complete with shipping container homes. They seem to have forgotten everything that happened in any of the previous movies. Any character development that happened previously is wiped out. The cast had zero chemistry together which is puzzling because they seemed to work fine together before.

I have so many questions but don't really care enough to have them answered. Well, here are two anyways.

Who the hell are those aliens? They like seriously just came out of the blue. Had zero thought put into their motivation, or character design, or development. Worst villains this side of Steppenwolf. And worse of all they made Jessica Chastain look like some kind of ugly albino. I didn't even know that was her.

Since when has the beast been able to change back and forth like a werewolf? I thought it had to do with the mutant cure and he had to take it to change back to normal. Seemed like they were trying to save on a makeup budget.
Old 06-10-19, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-11-19, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by tanman View Post

This guy is great.

Old 06-11-19, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pretty interesting article at Polygon about all of the failed attempts to make an X-Men movie prior to the 2000 version.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/6/11/18...orion-pictures

My favorite quote:
"Also joining the team is Kitty’s friend Bernie, who has no superpowers whatsoever, and is only let in on her secret because he followed Kitty to X-Men practice."
Old 06-12-19, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Those early X-Men drafts sound awful. I really like that X1 and X2 played up the prejudice aspect.
Old 06-12-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah pitch meetings are one of the best series on youtube. He has a ton of them, he's always creative at pointing out the faults but not in a malicious way. So whether you like the movie or not it's still hilarious.
Old 06-12-19, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Those early X-Men drafts sound awful. I really like that X1 and X2 played up the prejudice aspect.
Itís a matter of being in the right place at the right time with the right project and ultimately the right creative and commercial talent on the other side to bring that project to life. Those stars back in the early í80s werenít in alignment.Ē

As much as it would have been cool to get some other comic book movies earlier it really couldn't have worked out better. Comic book movies really hit it big at the perfect time where the technology was there to make the incredible a reality, the creative minds were passionate about the characters with little studio involvement and the audience with geek culture becoming more mainstream all led to the incredible movies we have today.

except for this one
Old 06-12-19, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, PitchMeetings is hilarious. Much better than Honest Trailers.

It would be cool to see an alternate universe where all these movies got made in the 80s. I still think Masters of the Universe was a great adaptation, so if they would have gone that route, I'd be happy. But if it was the 80s Cap movie...that would have been really bad. The Punisher was actually decent but the film score was weak, and why did the New York mob boss have a french accent?

But how are you going to do the first X-Men movie and not have Magneto as the main villain?
Old 06-12-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just got back 2 days ago from an overseas trip to Asia. I saw this movie in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Movies there only cost $3.50.

Anyways, I actually thought it was entertaining and wasn't the steaming pile of junk so many are making it out to be. There are some pretty awesome action sequences, especially the train action sequence in the final act.

My big issue is the horrendous lack of continuity. Xavier and Magneto should have been in their 60's in this film. Especially since Xavier turns into Patrick Stewart in about 8 years.

I do agree that Jessica Chastain was a weak villain and the fact that she was actually some alien being who hijacked the body of some poor woman. Never really understood that group's motives.

Overall I'd give it a B- and 3 1/2 stars.
Old 06-12-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, the time issues with the actors' ages is really bonkers.
Old 06-12-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The first X-Men movie didn't take place in the year 2000 though:

I'm not sure if any of the other movies explicitly stated the year, maybe DoFP.
Old 06-12-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

First Class :
Old 06-12-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yeah, I was just referring to the Stewart/McKellan movies though. I'm not sure if we have exact years for those. I guess DoFP is supposed to be 2023.
Old 06-12-19, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think the biggest overall problem is that nothing in this movie was done with a purpose.

Why was this set in the 90's? Who knows absolutely no reason to do it and it messes everything up with the timeline. They didn't even take advantage of the time frame to make the movie fun.

Why did they use aliens? Who knows because their backstory, plan or motivation were not revealed at all.

Why were they on a train? Who knows because the action sequence was just done terribly. It made no sense, one minute the aliens are getting blown away by bullets the next they are bullet proof. The writers squandered away their mutant powers as they weren't really creative at all. Contrast the train scene where magneto is using a bunch of guns for some reason to his escape scene in X2 where he uses the iron injected into the guard to craft a platform and a couple of metal balls to deadly effect.
Old 06-12-19, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The movie was set in 1992.
Old 06-13-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Man, I have to pull out my old John Byrne and Chris Claremont comics to reread this story which the movie fucked up so fucking bad. This was my favorite comic story.
Old 06-16-19, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really didnít think this was all that bad. Definitely not perfect and had some glaring issues such as the whole timeline issue and certain characters acting way different than they should (Iím thinking how Nightcrawler goes crazy and kills a bunch of people during the final train sequence). Also Charles was written as mostly unlikeable for a good chunk of the film. I also thought it was pretty goofy to have him step down from the school (or maybe he was forced out) and have the school re-named for Jean.

Putting aside the aspects I didnít like though I found the film entertaining enough. It was a hell of a lot better than Apocalypse and this film did better justice to the Dark Phoenix storyline than The Last Stand did, though I think itís debatable as to which film is better. As bad as The Last Stand is I feel like there are aspects to it that make it stand out more as opposed to this.

I would say overall this film is very much an okay movie. Itís not great, but itís not complete garbage either. It seems like people always want to take one extreme side or the other and not let films like this exist for what they are. I can see myself rewatching this and will buy it when itís out.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-16-19 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-16-19, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom View Post
Yeah, I was just referring to the Stewart/McKellan movies though. I'm not sure if we have exact years for those. I guess DoFP is supposed to be 2023.
FWIW : Logan takes place in 2029.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.