Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most diverse director?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Most diverse director?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-19, 07:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts
Most diverse director?

Sure, there are many great directors, with great resumes. Scorsese, Spielberg, Paul Thomas Anderson, Tarantino, Woo, Ang Lee, Chan-wook Park, Eastwood, Wes Anderson, Kubrick, etc. Those are some of my favorite directors, but most, not all their movies, share very similar traits or visual style. Of course due to longtime cinematographers or editors that only work their movies usually. Like, you know a Tarantino movie. You know a Spielberg movie. Even Kubrick has similar tones and visual style not to mention heavy characters and story with themes. In total, imo, not a lot of diversity in portfolios in terms of something just totally different and unique for them. And yes, they have them. Spielberg with Schindler’s List and Saving Private Ryan. Scorsese with Hugo.

Anyway, one Director, among those aforementioned favorites has really surprised me in terms of different, unique on many outings. Sometimes I forget it was him who directed.

Sir Ridley Scott. I’ve been coming across his catalog as of late with Thelma and Louise, Hannibal. I forget he did those. That’s what I mean by going out of normal style as we all know his Alien movies, Blade Runner. But he’s also done so many more totally different movies that I didn’t even know he did. Black Rain, White Squall for instances. I love those movies. He’s tackled Exodus, Robin Hood, Body of Lies, Gladiator, of course. Also, All the Money in the World, The Martian, Blackhawk Down. Amazing movies and so different and unusual considering what he’s most known for. Matchstick Men, one of the great con movies with Rockwell and Cage. So diverse.

Who do you think goes out of their comfort zone, perhaps, and makes many movies very unique?

Last edited by OldBoy; 06-05-19 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-05-19, 07:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Most diverse director?

Ah, diversity...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/syspQbtQ2BnLa" width="480" height="216" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

via GIPHY

I dunno, too many to pick from. You provided a lot of them.
Old 06-05-19, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Howard Hawks should likely be credited as the first:

Scarface
Bringing Up Baby
Rio Bravo
The Thing
Sergeant York
The Big Sleep
Old 06-05-19, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by E Unit
Ah, diversity...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/syspQbtQ2BnLa" width="480" height="216" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

via GIPHY

I dunno, too many to pick from. You provided a lot of them.
I provided great directors with great movies, but I wouldn’t necessarily say most their movies are unique in total. Spielberg with 4 Indy movies, 1 apparently on way. Very kid friendly movies, 2 Jurassic Parks, and Jaws. Of course much more, but not a lot of diversity.
Old 06-05-19, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Howard Hawks should likely be credited as the first:

Scarface
Bringing Up Baby
Rio Bravo
The Thing
Sergeant York
The Big Sleep
It says he was uncredited for Thing From Another World. Why would that be? Love the movie, but had no idea.
Old 06-05-19, 07:52 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

George Stevens

He did Astair & Rogers musicals, war films, melodramas, women’s pictures, westerns. All great.
Old 06-05-19, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Variety is not necessarily a good thing, sometimes it's just done for a paycheck. Most of Ridley Scott's filmography is bad to mediocre, not necessarily because of the direction, but because of the writing.

As Akira Kurosawa once said:

‘With a good script a good director can produce a masterpiece; with the same script a mediocre director can make a passable film. But with a bad script even a good director can’t possibly make a good film.'
Old 06-05-19, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

You mentioned him but I think Ang Lee more than qualifies.

Hulk (Comic Book)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Foreign/ Martial Arts)
Brokeback Mountain (Drama Romance)
Ride with the Devil (Western)
The Ice Storm (Drama)
Sense and Sensibility (19th Century Romance)
Taking Woodstock (Americana drama)
Gemini Man (Sci-Fi)

Just to name a select few pretty damn diverse films.
Old 06-05-19, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems like Steven Soderbergh is trying to do at least one movie from every genre imaginable.
Old 06-05-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Robert Wise
Old 06-05-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Robert Wise is a director whose diversity has always been striking to me. It's not just that he's done high level work in a different genres ... but his movies are so different from each other it's hard to believe they're all by the same guy. He starts off his career with Val Lewton in the 40s (Curse of the Cat People, The Body Snatcher) and made some really good film noir thrillers and dramas in the late 40s/early 50s. He made an all-time great sci-fi in The Day the Earth Stood Still and an all-time great horror with The Haunting. Sandwiched around The Haunting were West Side Story and The Sound of Music. He did war movies (The Sand Pebbles was probably his best), westerns, dramas, comedies, romances, and historical epics. Even in the 70s when his career was winding down and there were more disappointments, the diversity of movies like The Andromeda Strain (cerebral sci-fi), The Hindenburg (historical disaster epic), Audrey Rose (horror), and Star Trek: The Motion Picture is impressive. And he squeezed in a romantic drama starring Peter Fonda in that decade too.
Old 06-05-19, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Robert Wise
Damn you ... while I'll typing out this long response you beat me to the punch with a single name post
Old 06-05-19, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by inri222
Variety is not necessarily a good thing, sometimes it's just done for a paycheck. Most of Ridley Scott's filmography is bad to mediocre, not necessarily because of the direction, but because of the writing.
Bad to medicocre? C’mon. He’s solid.
Old 06-05-19, 09:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Absolutely. Not every one of Scott’s is a classic like Alien, but he’s done some pretty good diverse stuff. Hell, even the ones he’s gotten poor acclaim on like The Good Year and White Squall l love revisiting every once in a while. Not mediocre in the least.

Last edited by E Unit; 06-05-19 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-05-19, 09:11 PM

Received 1,914 Likes on 1,128 Posts

I would agree with all of these names mentioned so far, especially Steven Soderbergh and Steven Spielberg.

I'll also mention:

Danny Boyle (127 Hours, Trainspotting, Millions, 28 Days Later, Slumdog Millionaire, Yesterday) - I like how he uses his specific style in vastly different stories.
George Lucas (THX-1138, American Graffiti, Star Wars, Phantom Menace) - These movies all have a very different and have very different styles, too.
George Miller (Mad Max, Lorenzo's Oil, The Witches of Eastwick, Happy Feet, Babe: Pig in the City, Mad Max Fury Road) - Different genres, live action and animation, way different audiences!
Clint Eastwood (Unforgiven, The Bridges of Madison County, Million Dollar Baby, Flags of Our Fathers / Letters from Iwo Jima) - Just so many different movies, and directs himself well.
John Frankenheimer ((Birdman of Alcatraz, The Manchurian Candidate, The Iceman Cometh, Andersonville, Ronin) - Yes, all dramas, but all very different in tone and, I think, style.
Old 06-05-19, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Bob Clark
Old 06-05-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Might get flamed for this but, Brett Ratner - Rush Hour, Family Man, X-Men: Last Stand, Red Dragon
Old 06-05-19, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Bad to medicocre? C’mon. He’s solid.
It's all subjective.

Alien, Blade Runner and The Duellists are his best films. Everything else doesn't even come close.

Prometheus, Covenant, Exodus, Robin Hood, 1492, White Squall, A Good Year, Hannibal, Body of Lies are a joke IMO.

Last edited by inri222; 06-05-19 at 10:12 PM.
Old 06-05-19, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 848 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
You mentioned him but I think Ang Lee more than qualifies.

Hulk (Comic Book)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Foreign/ Martial Arts)
Brokeback Mountain (Drama Romance)
Ride with the Devil (Western)
The Ice Storm (Drama)
Sense and Sensibility (19th Century Romance)
Taking Woodstock (Americana drama)
Gemini Man (Sci-Fi)

Just to name a select few pretty damn diverse films.
This was the answer I was going to give.
I only like a few of his films, but I give the man credit for challenging himself.
Old 06-05-19, 10:52 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

1492 is a good movie.
Old 06-05-19, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Jon Favreau and Christopher Nolan. Two directors I never expected to be earning billions at box office. Favreau teeing up the MCU is kind of crazy after Swingers and Made being two of my favorites from that indie film era.
Old 06-06-19, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Thinking over Joel Schumacher's career, I've been impressed with how often many different genres he worked in: Comedies, DC Cab, Horror, The Lost Boys, Flatliners, Gritty Thrillers, 8MM, Number 23, Andrew Lloyd Webber Musical, Phantom of the Opera, Romantic Tear Jerkers, Dying Young, Superhero Movies, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Quirky Oscar-Bait, Flawless.

But I know he's not popular (perhaps not undeserved), but I've enjoyed almost all his movies I've seen (nothing after Flawless).

So to name a director more respected, I'll go with Billy Wilder who did everything from noir, to light comedies, to romance, to gothic horror.
Old 06-06-19, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Michael Curtiz
Old 06-06-19, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jonathan Demme yet.

Caged Heat
Crazy Mama
Melvin & Howard
Stop Making Sense
Something Wild
Swimming to Cambodia
The Silence of the Lambs
Philadelphia
Rachel Getting Married
A Master Builder

If it wasn't factually provable you wouldn't believe it was the same guy who made all those films.
Old 06-06-19, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
It says he was uncredited for Thing From Another World. Why would that be? Love the movie, but had no idea.
Christian Nyby was the credited director, and he had his own career thereafter (almost entirely in episodic Television). Hawks actually directing the film is a theory, much like Spielberg actually directing "Poltergeist" instead of credited director Tobe Hooper.

Last edited by DWilson; 06-06-19 at 06:24 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.