DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Ad Astra (2019, D: James Gray) S: Brad Pitt (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/647829-ad-astra-2019-d-james-gray-s-brad-pitt.html)

dex14 06-05-19 06:08 AM

Ad Astra (2019, D: James Gray) S: Brad Pitt

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...fddf28c3cc.jpg

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P6AaSMfXHbA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Astronaut Roy McBride (Brad Pitt) travels to the outer edges of the solar system to find his missing father and unravel a mystery that threatens the survival of our planet. His journey will uncover secrets that challenge the nature of human existence and our place in the cosmos.

In Theaters September 20

Directed by: James Gray
Written by: James Gray & Ethan Gross
Produced by: Brad Pitt, Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner, James Gray, Anthony Katagas, Rodrigo Teixeira, Arnon Milchan
Cast: Brad Pitt, Tommy Lee Jones, Ruth Negga, Liv Tyler and Donald Sutherland

Shannon Nutt 06-05-19 06:30 AM

Re: Ad Astra (2019, D: James Gray) S: Brad Pitt

Trailer has both an INTERSTELLAR and CONTACT vibe to it. However, the fact that this was originally supposed to be a summer release and got bumped to September doesn't give me a whole lot of hope about its quality. But I guess the budget on this was only $50 million, so it will probably have enough box office juice to turn a profit.

dex14 06-05-19 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13560525)
Trailer has both an INTERSTELLAR and CONTACT vibe to it. However, the fact that this was originally supposed to be a summer release and got bumped to September doesn't give me a whole lot of hope about its quality. But I guess the budget on this was only $50 million, so it will probably have enough box office juice to turn a profit.

It got bumped because it was apart of the Fox/Disney deal and Disney wanted to space out releases. It would’ve opened against Aladdin.

Osiris3657 06-05-19 11:06 AM

One of my more anticipated releases this year. Trailer looks good

Why So Blu? 06-05-19 11:26 AM

Look good!

lopper 06-05-19 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13560525)

It's funny, because as I was watching this trailer, I was literally thinking it looks good, but I hope it's nothing like Interstellar or Contact. I don't like the metaphysical, what is real type plot devices of those two movies.

TomOpus 06-05-19 11:54 AM

I'm always in for a good space movie. I wonder if the movie's title might limit the BO somewhat.

Shannon Nutt 06-05-19 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13560527)

It got bumped because it was apart of the Fox/Disney deal and Disney wanted to space out releases. It would’ve opened against Aladdin.

Yeah, I read that too...but a September re-scheduling indicates they don't have much faith in it.

E Unit 06-05-19 03:33 PM

Sequel to both Armageddon AND Space Cowboys! Look good I guess. Ha, for those who said Liv Tyler disappeared.

dex14 06-05-19 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13560758)
Yeah, I read that too...but a September re-scheduling indicates they don't have much faith in it.

No it doesn’t. Does WB not have much faith in IT being released in September? Rambo is in September too.

They had to space out all of their acquired releases. There’s a Fox release every month for the rest of the year now.

GoldenJCJ 06-05-19 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13560645)
I wonder if the movie's title might limit the BO somewhat.

He was great in a The Mary Tyler Moore Show and as the voice of Carl Fredrickson in Up so I think it’s only right that he finally gets a movie named after him. :up:

TomOpus 06-05-19 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13560851)

He was great in a The Mary Tyler Moore Show and as the voice of Carl Fredrickson in Up so I think it’s only right that he finally gets a movie named after him. :up:

There's a small audience that's been waiting for this moment.

gmanca 06-06-19 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ (Post 13560851)

rotfl

Yeah this looks great, hopefully it’s actually good unlike Life.

Shannon Nutt 06-06-19 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13560771)

No it doesn’t. Does WB not have much faith in IT being released in September? Rambo is in September too.

They had to space out all of their acquired releases. There’s a Fox release every month for the rest of the year now.

IT is coming out in September because they want it playing for the Halloween season AND the first movie came out during the same weekend, so it's already a proven performer that time of year.

RAMBO is being released then because Lionsgate doesn't want to compete with either the summer or winter "big tentpoles."

dex14 06-06-19 06:52 AM

Exactly my point. Just because it's in September, doesn't mean there's "no faith in it." You're making a huge leap.

It was the only month that was available June - Dark Phoenix, July - Stuber, August - The Art of Racing, September - Ad Astra, October - The Woman in the Window, November - Ford v Ferrari, December - Spies in Disguise. There's nothing they really could've swapped it with, except maybe Stuber, but that has a better chance as a summer movie.

inri222 06-06-19 08:48 AM

I've yet to see anything bad from James Gray so I'll check this out.

Shannon Nutt 06-07-19 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13561010)
Exactly my point. Just because it's in September, doesn't mean there's "no faith in it." You're making a huge leap.

It was the only month that was available June - Dark Phoenix, July - Stuber, August - The Art of Racing, September - Ad Astra, October - The Woman in the Window, November - Ford v Ferrari, December - Spies in Disguise. There's nothing they really could've swapped it with, except maybe Stuber, but that has a better chance as a summer movie.

Okay. Time will tell. Let's come back in October and see if I was right. ;)

OldBoy 06-10-19 09:18 PM

Um, this looks...amazing! Had no idea about it until I saw trailer on tv tonight. Love Pitt and everything he does, even stinkers like Meet Joe Black, which got panned, I loved. I guess the 3 besties all have their harrowing sci-fi movies with Clooney’s Gravity and Damon’s The Martian...

GoldenJCJ 06-10-19 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by OldBoy (Post 13563320)
I guess the 3 besties all have their harrowing sci-fi movies with Clooney’s Gravity and Damon’s The Martian...

You add in Elliot Gould’s Capricorn One and Don Cheadle in Mission to Mars and you’ve got half of Ocean’s 11 stirring up trouble in space!

Casey Affleck was in Interstellar but not as an astronaut.

dex14 07-19-19 05:19 AM

Why So Blu? 07-19-19 10:29 AM

Damn, this really looks fucking awesome.

I'd like to know the context of the shootout on the moon -- if that was his own countrymen trying to kill him or another country - moon pirates?

TomOpus 07-19-19 11:05 AM

Space pirates? Ice pirates? Space herpes!

dex14 08-22-19 12:34 PM

<iframe width="747" height="420" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QILhK03oNlY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="747" height="420" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BsCNKuB93BA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Shannon Nutt 08-22-19 03:21 PM

The first critic that taglines his/her review "Bad Astra" gets a gold star. I still think this is going to tank. Sorry. :(

GoldenJCJ 08-22-19 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt (Post 13596713)
The first critic that taglines his/her review "Bad Astra" gets a gold star. I still think this is going to tank. Sorry. :(

why you gotta be so negative? Maybe critics will label it “Rad Astra”. Did you ever think of that?