DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Kitchen (2019, D: Berloff) S: Moss, McCarthy, Haddish (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/647770-kitchen-2019-d-berloff-s-moss-mccarthy-haddish.html)

dex14 05-30-19 02:19 PM

The Kitchen (2019, D: Berloff) S: Moss, McCarthy, Haddish

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...fcf790a65b.jpg

<iframe width="676" height="380" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fgit74aVAvM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The gritty, female-driven mob drama “The Kitchen,” from New Line Cinema and BRON Creative, was written and directed by Andrea Berloff, who was nominated for an Oscar for the original screenplay for “Straight Outta Compton.”

“The Kitchen” stars Oscar nominee Melissa McCarthy (“Can You Ever Forgive Me?” “Bridesmaids”), Tiffany Haddish (“Girls Trip”), and Elisabeth Moss (“The Handmaid’s Tale”) as three 1978 Hell’s Kitchen housewives whose mobster husbands are sent to prison by the FBI. Left with little but a sharp ax to grind, the ladies take the Irish mafia’s matters into their own hands—proving unexpectedly adept at everything from running the rackets to taking out the competition…literally.

The film also stars Domhnall Gleeson (“Star Wars: The Last Jedi”), James Badge Dale (“Only the Brave”), Brian d’Arcy James (“Spotlight”), with Margo Martindale (TV’s “The Americans”), Oscar winner Common (“Selma,” “Marshall”), and Bill Camp (“Vice”). The cast also includes Jeremy Bobb (“Marshall”), E.J. Bonilla (TV’s “The Long Road Home”), Wayne Duvall (“Prisoners”), Annabella Sciorra (TV’s “Daredevil”), Myk Watford (HBO’s “True Detective”).

Berloff’s screenplay was based on the comic book series created for DC Vertigo by Ollie Masters and Ming Doyle. The film was produced by multiple Oscar nominee Michael De Luca (“Captain Phillips,” “Moneyball,” “The Social Network”) and Marcus Viscidi (“Rampage”). Serving as executive producers were Richard Brener, Michael Disco, Dave Neustadter, Aaron L. Gilbert, Jason Cloth, Elishia Holmes, and Adam Schlagman.

Berloff’s creative team included director of photography Maryse Alberti (“Creed”), production designer Shane Valentino (“Straight Outta Compton”), Oscar-nominated editor Christopher Tellefsen (“Moneyball,” “A Quiet Place”) and costume designer Sarah Edwards (“Ocean’s 8,” Showtime’s “Billions”). The music was composed by Bryce Dessner.

Principal photography took place primarily in and around the film’s setting, New York City’s famed Hell’s Kitchen.

New Line Cinema presents, in Association with BRON Creative, a Michael De Luca Production, “The Kitchen.” Set for release on August 9, 2019, it will be distributed worldwide by Warner Bros. Pictures. Rated R for violence, language throughout and some sexual content.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5822564/

Giantrobo 05-31-19 02:51 PM

Re: The Kitchen (2019, D: Berloff) S: Moss, McCarthy, Haddish

Saw the trailer for this last night on DC's youtube page. Didn't know anything about it let alone it's a DC/Vertigo based film. Looks interesting though.

Toddarino 05-31-19 03:07 PM

Saw the trailer last night as well. Looks good.

TomOpus 05-31-19 03:45 PM

Also saw it last night in front of Godzilla.

DJariya 07-18-19 02:05 AM

Final trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J-pk2Nwdek8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dex14 08-05-19 08:24 AM

This opens this week. I'm curious to see some reviews on it.

incomjoe 08-05-19 10:22 AM

I usually find McCarthy quite fine. Wondering if she'd devilver event his time :)

incomjoe 08-05-19 10:23 AM

Well fine and FUN I mean...:p

GoldenJCJ 08-05-19 11:22 AM

I had to do a double take when I read this movie was also starring Oscar winner Common.

It’s a little misleading to list that when discussing him as an actor. Although technically correct, I suppose.

Paff 08-05-19 12:39 PM

Ah, the long awaited film adaptation of the George Constanza play La Cocina. Who's tagged to play Pepe?

Mike86 08-05-19 03:57 PM

This actually looks quite good if you ask me. Might be the first film starring McCarthy I actively seek out watching.

Paff 08-05-19 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13589294)
This actually looks quite good if you ask me. Might be the first film starring McCarthy I actively seek out watching.

Good that you qualified it with "starring", as I quite enjoy Go (1999)

Mike86 08-05-19 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Paff (Post 13589350)
Good that you qualified it with "starring", as I quite enjoy Go (1999)

I've never seen Go.

incomjoe 08-06-19 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13589294)

This sounds promising.

Perkinsun Dzees 08-07-19 05:49 PM

18% on Rotten Tomatoes. Ouch.

Grace Randolph loved it, though.

DJariya 08-07-19 06:01 PM

There's no Thursday night showings for this. That's already a bad sign.

TomOpus 08-07-19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees (Post 13590695)
18% on Rotten Tomatoes. Ouch.

Grace Randolph loved it, though.

She's very hit or miss. She had major problems with Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

E Unit 08-07-19 11:28 PM

Awaiting Stuckman alert to see what I need to do.

Why So Blu? 08-08-19 12:19 AM

Had two of my friends see it at press releases and say it's not a good film.

The_Cube 08-11-19 04:13 AM

Worst movie I’ve seen in theaters so far this year. I’ve never been a fan of egotistical crime movies though. I only saw it to get the 500 reward point promotion from Regal. Miscast actresses to go along with a boring story equals a horrible movie.

Mike86 08-11-19 09:09 AM

Damn I’m actually kind of disappointed. Looked like a good period mob piece only with mob wives. I might still at least check it out when it’s available to stream.

DWilson 08-11-19 09:41 PM

I had no problems with the actresses, but there's just huge credibility problems with the story. There are too many plot-turns that are dictated by a character walking into a situation without any protection. By the same token, you have these three women who could have been easily taken out the minute they were a problem. Considering the shorter length of the film, I can't help wondering if some scenes were cut that might have bolstered some of the events in the film.

Perkinsun Dzees 08-11-19 10:05 PM

I can envision someone pitching this movie to a studio exec:

Pitchman: So, these three women get fed up and decide to take on the mob and take control of the city's underworld.

Studio Exec: Wow, I can see where they would have a lot of trouble doing that.

Pitchman: Not really. It'll be simple. Barely an inconvenience.

TomOpus 08-15-19 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit (Post 13590855)
Awaiting Stuckman alert to see what I need to do.

He gave it an F. His wife went with him and she didn't like it either.