Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rating
1.79%
5.36%
39.29%
17.86%
12.50%
8.93%
7.14%
1.79%
3.57%
1.79%
0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 06-05-19, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts
Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

But G has been doing that stand in water thing for about 65 years. Don't know why it's suddenly an issue, mind you I haven't seen it yet. I'm guessing when people don't like a film they nitpick shit?

I always assumed he was just in the shallow part of the ocean?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-05-19 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-05-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Nah, he wasn't and it is a kinda weird seen in the movie. I was wondering the same thing on how he would kinda walk/stand on water. lol

But, I still loved the movie.
Old 06-05-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Is Gigan in this? He was always my favorite.
No... but concept art from the "Art Of" book shows, among others, Gigan, Anguirus, Kumonga, Spiga, Gamera (?!), and even a possible Pacific Rim crossover with Otachi.
Old 06-08-19, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Saw it tonight. Loved it. The most "Godzilla" Godzilla film the US has ever produced. Looking forward to GvK.
Old 06-08-19, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Wow....

The complete cluelessness of people on grasping how RT works never ceases to crack me up. There is no Mr. Tomato! It's an aggregation of all reviews. Jeez.
Old 06-08-19, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 450 Likes on 333 Posts

I really liked Godzilla KOTM. The human characters were better than I expected. And the monster action was excellent. It was a really fun movie. My 19 year old daughter (who is a Godzilla fan, but also a harsh critic sometimes) liked it, too.

It will definitely be rewatchable in a big way. I'm really looking forward to Godzilla VS Kong next year.
Old 06-11-19, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 637 Posts

I thought it was great. I agree on the editing being terrible for the battles but overall the battles were pretty spectacular. I find it funny that people are complaining they wanted more monsters in this movie. They jam packed it with monsters and each of the main four had a really good amount of screentime. Yeah there were some issues and characters behaving idiotically. Especially the pilots. They're acting like they're fighting with biplanes and bullets with how close they get to the kaiju instead of missiles that usually don't need line of sight and can fire beyond the horizon. But then it wouldn't be as exciting.

The one thing that really irritated me was Bradley Whitford's character. I don't really have an issue with the actor but every single one of his lines were so incredibly cringeworthy. I was disappointed the whole Oh my god....ZILLA! part was in it. Also That is one juiced lizard!!

8/10 for me

Even if King Kong vs. Godzilla is the last of the monsterverse I think 4 good movies is a pretty good run. And yeah I am disappointed with the BO for this movie but honestly how many people are really in the Godzilla fanbase? IMHO It's a pretty niche fanbase for a huge summer blockbuster. I for one am just thankful we got what we did.
Old 06-11-19, 11:48 AM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts

I meant to bring this up when I saw the movie... Did anyone else notice the cabin in this was the same as the Tony's in Endgame? I'm pretty positive it was the same. Both films shot in Atlanta. I bring it up now because it is in the news that you can airbnb it: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2301826...mL3%2B%2BHmRu1
Old 06-11-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

When Vera Farmiga's character was video chatting with the Monarch crew, her video feed would show video clips showing examples of whatever bad thing she was talking about at the moment. Did she have those clips already queued up and ready to weave into her talk with them? Is this something she prepared in advance?
Old 06-11-19, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I meant to bring this up when I saw the movie... Did anyone else notice the cabin in this was the same as the Tony's in Endgame? I'm pretty positive it was the same. Both films shot in Atlanta. I bring it up now because it is in the news that you can airbnb it: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2301826...mL3%2B%2BHmRu1
At $800 a night, ScarJo better tuck me in at night.
Old 06-12-19, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 913 Likes on 637 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That is so cool. So tempted to stay there.
Old 06-12-19, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

While I loved the monster action in this, I would love to see more monster action in broad daylight as opposed to rainy, cloudly, lightning filled, dark skies.
The family drama plot really bogged an otherwise enjoyable film down immensely; a real waste of actual acting talent for what amounted to little more than 30-40 minutes of time padding. Still, better than Godzilla (2014) though, but nowhere near as fun as Kong: Skull Island.
Old 06-12-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,529 Likes on 2,529 Posts

I saw this while on vacation in Thailand a few weeks ago. Overall I'd give it 3 1/2 stars and probably a B.

The monster action was awesome. But, there really wasn't any human character that was truly likable. I love Kyle Chandler and Vera Farmiga, but both of their characters were assholes,
Old 06-12-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,370 Likes on 1,010 Posts

I have a confession - for the first 30 minutes I thought the family was the same couple from the 2014 movie and I had forgotten about a kid or something. Once I realized they were different, I enjoyed the movie a lot more. I look forward to a rewatch without that bogging me down.
Old 06-15-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts

Saw this last night. Definitely a steaming hot mess.

At least the introductions to Ghidorah, Mothra & Rodan were interesting.
Old 06-16-19, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 184 Posts

Kong: Skull Island is the gold standard in this universe.

This was my "father's day" movie. It is an annual event for me and my son. So much wrong with this movie it is hard for me to describe. Most have mentioned the editing...wow shit balls is that bad. I didn't care for this at all. I am not going to go into more as I will probably offend most on how much I disliked this POS movie. Almost fell asleep. My son paid so there is that.
Old 06-16-19, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,171 Likes on 901 Posts

Old 06-19-19, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went to see this again, and I enjoyed it so much more the second time around. Movie has a lot of problems, but it is much more solid than I originally thought. I think one of its biggest crimes is being needlessly long. A bad movie is a bad movie, but I think if this movie was an 1h40m (if not a sweet throwback to 90mins flat) it would be much easier to take in for some folks. And it isn't hard to see where they could trim that time and lose nothing (cut human stuff, leave all the monster stuff).

But I still think the monster stuff is incredible, and the Rodan vs fighter jets stuff especially is super cool.
Old 07-28-19, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I fucking loved this movie. It was a blast. The human stuff wasn't that bad. The family stuff wasn't great, but the rest of the human presence was good. Watanabe was excellent as always. Talk about a whos who of character actors in this. I wish David Strathairn had a bigger role. Whitford was great as usual. Even if its a role it feels like he's played 100 times. Amazing monster battles. Overall it was excellent I thought.

4/5
Finally saw this tonight and agree with your comments and rating. It was a blast to watch. Will definitely pick it up on Blu Ray.
Old 07-28-19, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I found Kong to be utterly dreadful. Possibly one of the worse films I've seen in 5 years.
Old 07-29-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 253 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
I found Kong to be utterly dreadful. Possibly one of the worse films I've seen in 5 years.
Then you must not have been even able to sit through this one...
Old 07-29-19, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Then you must not have been even able to sit through this one...
King of the Monsters? Loved it! Best American Kaiju film to date.
Old 08-25-19, 03:35 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This was decent but too dark and rainy

Usual annoying human characters

I hope Godzilla v Kong happens in the daylight
Old 08-27-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Honestly don't remember much about 2014's Godzilla, only that I didn't care that much for it. Five years later and we get a sequel that I don't think many were yearning for and it's more of the same. There were some moments of greatness, especially towards the end, otherwise this was rather forgettable. Lots of destruction and I can imagine the hundreds (if not more) who worked on this just on the visual effects side but I can't imagine revisiting this any time soon and only will remember upon the release of Godzilla vs. Kong next year. 2.5/5
Old 08-30-19, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 671 Likes on 415 Posts

A steaming failure pile of liquid shit. 2 out of 5 and I'm being generous. Just terrible. If you like this movie and shit on Michael Bay movies, you might be a hypocrite.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.