Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rating
1.79%
5.36%
39.29%
17.86%
12.50%
8.93%
7.14%
1.79%
3.57%
1.79%
0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 06-02-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,258 Likes on 837 Posts
Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

This has probably been posted before:

Here's proof that every movie is improved by adding Godzilla

https://film.avclub.com/heres-proof-...s3-QoItmJd3esk
Old 06-02-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Saw this Saturday enjoyed it. Wanted more monster action. I really wanted more Rodan. As a fan of the old Godzilla movies from Japan I wish they had kept Ghidorahs creepy chirping noise instead of giving him a generic roar. It would have been great hearing that before he rose from the pit in Antarctica.

Also missing from this movie was a Godzilla drop kick. Maybe he’ll get one in on King Kong.i

It also just occurred to me that they missed a great opportunity for a cameo from Bambi.

Last edited by Manco; 06-02-19 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-02-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
The human stuff was horrible, the monster stuff was amazing, In the end, I was entertained.
+1 my sentiments exactly, could have used more Godzilla, also liked the score quite a bit...
Old 06-02-19, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I'm really disappointed in this showing. We have built up a huge fanbase in this country, so why don't they show up? Just Saturday I ran through Aldi and was wearing a Godzilla t shirt, and two separate people talked to me about it. One guy and his family had just gotten out of the theater, and the cashier said she and her husband were planning to watch it on their vacation.

Is this going to be the type of film that does way better on Netflix and such?
Old 06-03-19, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i loved it. It was your typical monster movie with great CGI. The people were dumb but i expected it during a movie with fucking giants doing crazy shit. Im sorry but i would be dumb as them too.
Old 06-03-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

The Godzilla and Kaiju pages i'm on are going craaaaazy. I swear people are close to slitting their wrists over the low turn out/money KOTM made over the weekend. It's like a multi Civil War has broken out between the KOTM Sucks! vs KOTM is Great! vs We don't watch for the humans!! vs ALL G-films suck except G54 but that's ok, we still love them! folks.
Old 06-03-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

I think it's funny when people say that you don't watch them for the humans. Yet Skull Island had the best written human characters out of these 3 films.
Old 06-03-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think it's funny when people say that you don't watch them for the humans. Yet Skull Island had the best written human characters out of these 3 films.
But come on. NO ONE was expecting that.
Old 06-03-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

While I don't know if GvK can save the series, one thing I would like to see if they continue this monsterverse is perhaps a movie about the earth in its early years when the titans were the norm. I know prequels suck in general , but you know damn well WB would green light something like this before another Blade Runner or something...original.
Old 06-04-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 119 Likes on 107 Posts

Hey All

We saw it in 3D at Imax on day before the official opening. My take on the movie....

In terms of "Monster Action"...which that's what this was about and not some story driven mushy, suspense B.S...it ROCKED. Complaining about ...lack of story....in a Godzilla Movie would be like complaining about "Lack of Romance & Diversity in a Rambo movie".....This was about action and Godzilla delivered...plain and simple.

Sound....lots of front & center stage...seemed not a lot of surround as one might expect but bottom and low...wow. Not really deep low but the mid to mid low area this was awesome.

3D....It was good but not great and eye popping like say Avatar, Tron or some animated movies. There was some depth but not in the terms of giving you that wow effect.....

Negatives....The Family....after watching it, I got that sort of "The Day The Earth Stood Still" feeling with "That Kid, Mom and Reeves" that tried to fit in and take the spotlight away from the main focus of the movie which in this case...Godzilla. In this one...like with The Day The Earth Stood Still, the focus was about a Family torn apart by something in the past that divided them which made the movie change pace and go back & forth from Major Action to Family, despair, heartache, conflict...back to action...back to family...back to action....

Overall we enjoyed it and action wise was impressive all the way around. Will get the Blu-Ray but will pass on the 3D......a solid 8.5 of 10 for us.
Old 06-04-19, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In retrospect, I'm liking the film even less now. Vera Farmiga basically tried pulling a "Thanos" with her plan.

Old 06-04-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Saw it yesterday and liked it more than the 2014 movie. My favorite part was the design of all the classic Kaiju monsters which I think is the best any of them have ever looked.

One thing I notice is how ideas in these new Godzilla movies seem to be lifted from the '90s Gamera trilogy.

Here's a brief comparison...

The '90s Gamera Trilogy (Gamera: Guardian of the Universe" 1995, "Gamera 2: Attack of Legion" 1996, "Gamera 3: The Revenge of Iris" 1999)
-----------------------
- Ancient writings are translated which say that Gamera was created in ancient Atlantis as the defender of the Earth from other monsters and similar threats

- Gamera remains for many years in a dormant state and only re-emerges when a new threat to the Earth appears

- Gamera goes from being regarded as a threat to being regarded as an ally in each of the movies

- Humans are called the real monsters for polluting the planet

- In a scene in Gamera 2, people are desperately trying to escape in a military transport helicopter while 2 monsters fight next to them

The new Godzilla movies ("Godzilla" 2014, "Godzilla, King of the Monsters" 2019)
-----------------------
- It's implied that Godzilla was created in what appears to be ancient Atlantis as the defender of the Earth from other monsters and similar threats

- Godzilla remains for many years in a dormant state and only re-emerges when a new threat to the Earth appears

- Godzilla goes from being regarded as a threat to being regarded as an ally in each of the movies

- Humans are called the real monsters for polluting the planet

- In a scene in the new Godzilla movie, people are desperately trying to escape in a military transverse-rotor helicopter while 2 monsters fight next to them

Last edited by dhmac; 06-04-19 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-04-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I just back from seeing this and I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting too. I also liked Godzilla 2014 and Kong Skull Island and I would put this on par with those two. Most of the time with monster/alien/robot destruction movies the human characters are awful but I have liked all of the characters in this series so far three films in. I was also afraid that the monster fights would end up going on and on and on ala the fight scenes in The Matrix where you just want them to end but they were the perfect length here.

Can't wait for King Kong vs Godzilla and the future of the series. 4/5
Old 06-05-19, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Disappointed in the lack of other classic kaiju. No Gi-mantis, Angilas, Ebirah, etc. Tho I guess we did get Spiga.
Old 06-05-19, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I fucking loved this movie. It was a blast. The human stuff wasn't that bad. The family stuff wasn't great, but the rest of the human presence was good. Watanabe was excellent as always. Talk about a whos who of character actors in this. I wish David Strathairn had a bigger role. Whitford was great as usual. Even if its a role it feels like he's played 100 times. Amazing monster battles. Overall it was excellent I thought.

4/5
Old 06-05-19, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

love that they used the godzilla music.
Old 06-05-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought the score was exceptional
Old 06-05-19, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw it last night with the kids. We went to see giant monster battles, and Godzilla kicking ass.

That's exactly what we got.

We loved it. Yeah, the human stuff was cliche and corny - but .. it's a Godzilla movie, not Citizen Kane.

It was exactly what it advertised itself as.
Old 06-05-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
But come on. NO ONE was expecting that.
Which is shocking that it did. Who says you can't have well-written characters? Oh yeah, the "it's a monster movie" types.
Bumblebee did it for that franchise and I think Skull Island did for this one, but hey dropped the ball with this latest installment.
Old 06-05-19, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Damed
We loved it. Yeah, the human stuff was cliche and corny - but .. it's a Godzilla movie, not Citizen Kane.
Rosebud would've wound up like Bambi.
Old 06-05-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow....

Old 06-05-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 06-05-19, 04:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Saw this last weekend. It was fun, but felt off. But hey, we wanted some good fights, we got them. My wife didn't really care for it. Then she bitched about this. Then she found an article about it - which is funny as hell.

https://www.boredpanda.com/godzilla-...ign=BPFacebook

This was funny...

Old 06-05-19, 05:19 PM

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Is Gigan in this? He was always my favorite.
Old 06-05-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Is Gigan in this? He was always my favorite.
No. And I would think he and Megalon probably won't show.. yet. Since they just discovered that Ghidorah was an alien.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.