Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

40th Anniversary of Alien - May 25

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

40th Anniversary of Alien - May 25

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-19, 11:18 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: 40th Anniversary of Alien - May 25

In what way does it remotely improve the movie? Scott has stated it was only done to justify a rerelease.
Old 10-09-19, 12:57 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
In what way does it remotely improve the movie? Scott has stated it was only done to justify a rerelease.
i liked seeing the cocoon and the fates of the crew and then Ripley putting an end to. gave more credence to the use in Aliens and at least told us what humans were used for by the Alien...
Old 10-09-19, 02:09 PM
Banned

No way. The unexplained is always scarier. And the “turning into an egg” thing contradicts Aliens.
Old 10-09-19, 05:44 PM

no one turned into an egg. they showed the cocoon to show how they implant and breed. to each his own. no biggie...
Old 10-09-19, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
no one turned into an egg. they showed the cocoon to show how they implant and breed. to each his own. no biggie...

That is what I believed for years ... and the way it should be ... but, alas, Ridley Scott is a f—knut who people believe is a genius (nobody believes that quite as much as he does though). He claims the people turn into eggs. PEOPLE .... TURN INTO .... EGGS.

Just think about that for a little bit. Either he is a raving lunatic or he has the world-comprehension skills of a five-year old.
Old 10-09-19, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

It looks pretty clear that Dallas and the rest were being transformed into xenomorph eggs.
The Theatrical Version is perfect and leaves a bit more ambiguity to make it feel more “alien.” Explaining so much in such a short time in the DC is too predictable.
But...I prefer the logic of cocooning victims into eggs as opposed to a queen laying eggs. Makes the aliens too familiar to ants or bees.
Old 10-09-19, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Not cocooned into eggs ... cocooned into “incubators” for the facehuggers that come from the laid eggs.

Well, it's an interesting combination of elements making him a... tough little son-of-a-bitch.
Old 10-09-19, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

I saw the 25th and 35th anniversary screenings at the Cinerama... the last one w Tom Skerritt Q&A... can't top those, so I'm good on my Alien theatrical viewings. But yeah, Ridley has always been open to working with the studios, the 25th anniversary DC was just mostly for the studios, it was never a true directors cut...that's how I viewed it.
Old 10-10-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Not cocooned into eggs ... cocooned into “incubators” for the facehuggers that come from the laid eggs.
But if you look at Brett in the scene he’s either inside a xenomorph egg or his body is being broken down in order to create an egg.

But rewatching the scene, I remembered how dumb I thought it was when I first saw it. I like the idea that one xenomorph is like this contagion that can replicate itself in any environment. But why start with and use the egg concept, which implies they were laid, if the xenomorph is just gonna “sculpt” eggs out of humans? Definitely dumbs down everything, including the mystery.
Old 10-10-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I could never figure out how the alien went from chestburster size to fully grown in maybe a few hours. Wouldn't it need to consume a lot of organic material of some kind at the very least?
Old 10-10-19, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by windom
I could never figure out how the alien went from chestburster size to fully grown in maybe a few hours. Wouldn't it need to consume a lot of organic material of some kind at the very least?
I remember back in the day Feoamante’s “Science Moment” criticized that.

Old 10-10-19, 04:25 PM
Banned

Why you making me doubt myself?

Old 10-10-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

The impression I got from the Directors Cut is that the xenomorph does indeed turn its victims into "eggs."

It is implied that is what happened to the Space Jokey's crew, and that's where all of the those eggs in the derelict spaceship came from.
Old 10-10-19, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

It is implied that is what happened to the Space Jokey's crew, and that's where all of the those eggs in the derelict spaceship came from.
Because of this thread I was just thinking about that as a possibility. Was it ever documented that that was the original intent?

It's a little too convenient though since there's some kind of bluish beam covering the eggs which seems that the alien eggs were cargo of some sort and that the jockeys had some kind of security in place that would keep the eggs in stasis and not start hatching.
Or...maybe the jockeys were in something akin to suspended animation not unlike the Nostromo crew and the xenomorph that killed the pilot immediately started transforming the many occupants of the ship into eggs.
Old 10-10-19, 05:15 PM

I don’t see how or where it ever implies they are turned into eggs. We saw the mother in Aliens laying eggs before Ripley went all Predator on her and babies asses. Those are eggs for face huggers. Now, I don’t know how else they could be made with whatever sustenance the mother needs. Convenient we keep sending more and more humans to continue their species. How many bulky looking, drab colored ships they gonna send for gods sake?? Is that how they are produced and always have been? Humans are just incubators for facehuggers. That’s all. Where is it shown otherwise in first?

Last edited by OldBoy; 10-10-19 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-10-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
It's a little too convenient though since there's some kind of bluish beam covering the eggs which seems that the alien eggs were cargo of some sort and that the jockeys had some kind of security in place that would keep the eggs in stasis and not start hatching.
Yeah, the effect in the movie is definitely a laser/fog effect (like you might see at a concert), though the characters describe it as some kind of mist around the eggs. I'm guessing that was the best way the special effects team could put a layer of mist over the eggs in the 1979 and have it look eerie and exotic, though it does look like an obvious laser.

I'm guessing that the "mist"" over the eggs was simply meant to imply that they were still alive and undergoing some kind of respiration process.
Old 10-10-19, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don’t see how or where it ever implies they are turned into eggs. We saw the mother in Aliens laying eggs before Ripley went all Predator on her and babies asses. Those are eggs for face huggers.
Alien was filmed in the late 1970s, including the crew turning into eggs. Those parts were left on the cutting room floor. Aliens came out in 1986 and was a sequel to the theatrical cut, where it was never shown where the eggs came from. The directors cut of Alien was assembled and released years later, so it doesn't fit in with what we saw in Aliens.
Old 10-10-19, 05:40 PM

But we still saw a mother laying eggs. Isn’t that definitive that that’s where eggs come from? Like many earth species...
Old 10-10-19, 06:00 PM
Banned

I don’t see how or where it ever implies they are turned into eggs. We saw the mother in Aliens laying eggs before Ripley went all Predator on her and babies asses. Those are eggs for face huggers. Now, I don’t know how else they could be made with whatever sustenance the mother needs. Convenient we keep sending more and more humans to continue their species. How many bulky looking, drab colored ships they gonna send for gods sake?? Is that how they are produced and always have been? Humans are just incubators for facehuggers. That’s all. Where is it shown otherwise in first?
Sounds like you haven’t even seen the DC of Alien.
Old 10-10-19, 06:03 PM
Banned

But we still saw a mother laying eggs. Isn’t that definitive that that’s where eggs come from? Like many earth species...
In the original Alien it is never explained how the eggs are created. They filmed an explanation but decided to cut it and leave it unexplained. In the sequel a new explaintion of how the eggs are created was the big reveal. A QUEEN ALIEN!
Old 10-10-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, the effect in the movie is definitely a laser/fog effect (like you might see at a concert), though the characters describe it as some kind of mist around the eggs. I'm guessing that was the best way the special effects team could put a layer of mist over the eggs in the 1979 and have it look eerie and exotic, though it does look like an obvious laser.

I'm guessing that the "mist"" over the eggs was simply meant to imply that they were still alive and undergoing some kind of respiration process.
Oh yeah...I forgot about the description in the movie. The eggs themselves could have been producing the mist.
Damn, everything in the original movie was so good. The slight exploration of the derelict ship takes up very little running time of the film and yet there's so many interesting theories and possibilities you could derive from what little is presented on-screen. And even then, it only creates more questions which adds more mystery and more alien-ness to the story. In that regard I think it's a far superior film to Aliens, although Cameron's film is more fun because of the world building involved.

Last edited by brayzie; 10-10-19 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-10-19, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Alien is an absolute masterpiece of ambiguity.

It explains very little about the aliens or the space jokey or the derelict ship, or even about what the company knows.

It sets up these really intriguing mysteries that will lose the power once they are explained.Of course I want to know who and what the Space Jockey was, where the aliens came from, how those eggs got on the ship, but I also realize that once all of this is explained, it gets locked down to something specific and loses the ability to be anything else. (Which is why I hated Promethea.)

And that, J. J. Abrams, is how you build a real mystery box.
Old 10-10-19, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mabuse

In the original Alien it is never explained how the eggs are created. They filmed an explanation but decided to cut it and leave it unexplained. In the sequel a new explaintion of how the eggs are created was the big reveal. A QUEEN ALIEN!
Right. If never explained in first, it is explained in second and thus retroactive to apply to first. That’s all we know as fact now. There are no facts in TE of how. What was cut means it doesn’t exist in lexicon of franchise. Aliens explains both movies. Case closed.
Old 10-10-19, 07:29 PM
Banned

Good job closing that case. Crystal clear interpretation.
Old 10-10-19, 07:55 PM

Well, if there were no facts, only conjecture, until Aliens, so that’s it. That’s the question answered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.