Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-23-13, 09:30 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/61117

yes, consider the source, but still... cool if true.

Is Lucasfilm developing a KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC project?

Published at: Feb. 22, 2013, 8:39 p.m. CST Share On Facebook Twitter

Hey folks, Harry here... Consider this a rumor at this stage.

Before I get directly into the rumor, which showed up in a rather elaborate email today, let me talk a bit about what is going on at LUCASFILM right now. When AICN ran this rumor by some trusted sources, the only thing we got was a statement that there is literally a ton of activity going on regarding a whole bunch of ideas for Lucasfilm. Essentially, we are living in a time - where there are multiple generations of filmmakers, screenwriters and artists at all levels of film and media production - that have a very real opportunity to try out their ideas. So yes, there's all manners of fantasy dream projects regarding a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. But the only project that has hardcore active development is EPISODE VII - it is the only STAR WARS project that is beyond the treatment stage. SO - even if this is true, there is zero guarantee that any of the projects that we're hearing about outside of EPISODE VII will actually come into being. That said - this is one of those dreams that seem to be being pursued, but isn't confirmed yet.

Now for the rumor. Drew Karpyshyn - the man that created the scenario and much of the dialogue in the STAR WARS: KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC. He also worked on JADE EMPIRE and STAR WARS: THE OLD REPUBLIC. Along with writing MASS EFFECT and MASS EFFECT 2. Well he left BIOWARE back in February of last year to work on "screenwriting" and it seems that BIOWARE is a hot bed of rumor regarding the notion that Drew Karpyshyn is working up a screenplay for a film version of KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC. Is this true? Or just the idle gossip of hard working game designers at BIOWARE? I've reached out to Drew Karpyshyn and as of this posting I've yet to hear back. On his personal website he states that he has not yet produced or sold any screenplays and that he's nearly completed his first script and will be looking for an agent to sell it shortly. With his rather all-star status in games, I'm sure whatever Drew is working on currently is likely to be something worth looking at.
Old 02-23-13, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: YASWT:: KOTOR movie in the works?

Jesus... is Disney going to be putting out a Star Wars movie every six months?
Old 02-23-13, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Probably once a year. Gotta keep that gravy train going.

To be honest, I'd expect there be a ton of activity at Disney right now. They just acquired the license, so they are trying to figure out the best projects to move forward with.
Old 02-23-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I wonder if they would go live action or animation? I've seen some of the animated cut scenes of these games here and there and they're pretty impressive.

If so, I hope it opens the door for more animated fill-in projects like Shadows of the Empire, Dark Empire and even Splinter of the Mind's Eye.
Old 02-23-13, 12:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KOTOR would be perfect. No ties to the Skywalker movies, but appropriately epic. And if they have the writer of the game on board, it could be excellent.

I'd much rather see this than a young Solo/Fett/Yoda/Max Rebo movie.
Old 02-23-13, 12:57 PM
Banned

Hell yeah! KOTOR is the movie I wanted as soon as I first heard about the Disney deal. I want it more than I want VII-IX.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
It seems to be working with the Avengers movies.

Iron Man - 2008
Incredible Hulk - 2008
Iron Man 2 - 2010
Thor - 2011
Captain America - 2011
Avengers - 2012

Six movies in four years...

Then we have five more coming in the next three years...

Iron Man 3 - 2013
Thor 2 - 2013
Captain America 2 - 2014
Guardians of the Galaxy - 2014
Avengers 2 - 2015
Old 02-23-13, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They're not really Avengers movies, they're all stand alone properties first.

Regardless, I don't see too big of a deal with Disney trying to branch out the Star Wars universe further.
Old 02-23-13, 01:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
If so, I hope it opens the door for more animated fill-in projects like Shadows of the Empire, Dark Empire and even Splinter of the Mind's Eye.
Shadows of the Empire

Dark Empire is okay, but I wonder if you actually meant Heir to the Empire (first book of the Thrawn trilogy). Dark Empire is the story where Emperor Palpatine comes back after his "death" in ROTJ. A lot of people hate that story, but I don't mind it so much. It actually does fit in with his speech in ROTS about how he and Plagueis learned to conquer death.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye? Seriously? That's the story that was supposed to have been the original low-budget sequel to Star Wars if the movie hadn't been successful. Plus, all the racy scenes between Luke and Leia make their kiss in ESB look really innocent in comparison.
Old 02-23-13, 01:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
They're not really Avengers movies, they're all stand alone properties first.
tomato... tomatoe...

Sure you can watch all the Avengers movies as standalone movies, but they were planned as being one universe from the beginning.

Same thing with these new Star Wars movies. You don't have to watch a Han Solo origin movie to understand VII-IX.
Old 02-23-13, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Still different to me. I don't look at those movies as "Avengers movies" because they're not spinoffs of one main movie franchise. Individual character movies were going to be made from those various properties eventually anyway since they were all established characters before.

Like I said, I don't really care about Disney expanding the Star Wars universe like a lot of folks do, but it does feel like they're reaching a lot more with all the rumors out there.
Old 02-23-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Shadows of the Empire was a nerd's dream in '96, it was the closest thing to having an actual new Star Wars movie.

Having said that, in hindsight it was nothing but a bunch of mundane events filled in. Clone Wars is a period full of potential. SotE does little more than portray the Bothan mission to get the Death Star plans, show Luke building his lightsaber etc. Hardly riveting material. It even "explains" why Chewbacca's hair looks different in RotJ. And the lamest most transparent thing about it is the "hey here's a character that is just like Han Solo since we don't have Han Solo but don't worry he conveniently dies just in time for Ham Solo's return" nonsense.
Old 02-23-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Anything KOTOR >>>>>>>>> anything Skywalker, Solo, Yoda, Fett, etc. I'm much more excited over the prospect of this (even as a rumor) than anything else I've heard.
Old 02-23-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hell Yes to KOTOR ... even better if Disney permits a legit, and not rushed, KOTOR 3 to be made.
Old 02-23-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Virtually no one is going to realize this thread is about Star Wars. Heck, I played KOTOR and barely recognized the thread title.
Old 02-23-13, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would cream my pants if Disney confirmed they are doing a film adaptation of KOTOR. One of my favorite games of all time. The twist in the middle literally made my jaw drop and I'm not the type to physically react to what I'm seeing in a movie or game.
Old 02-23-13, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Re: YASWT:: Knights of the Old Republic movie in the works?

KOTOR would be great. I am also hoping that someone would make a movie out of Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader. It centers on new characters and Vader. All the actors you need are still alive and appropriately aged. Obi-Wan, Qui Gon, Bail Organa, Whoever plays Vader
Old 02-23-13, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hopefully they won't be like those game trailers where it is supposedly set thousands of years before Anakin but all the technology was the same. Saw destroyer droids, stormtroopers/clones, star destoyers. New designs please.

Well Yoda is 900 years old, they could tie it into the older movies by having Yoda show up as a padawan.
Old 02-23-13, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey folks, Harry here... Drew Karpyshyn contacted me and let me know that he has heard nothing about a KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC movie. Of course even if he was working on it, he couldn't say so - but I'm going to say this looks like a rumor that we can put to rest for now. His old workmates at BIOWARE were hoping it was true, but there was more hope than reality to the rumor. Consider this one shut down for now.
Old 02-23-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979 View Post
Shadows of the Empire

Dark Empire is okay, but I wonder if you actually meant Heir to the Empire (first book of the Thrawn trilogy). Dark Empire is the story where Emperor Palpatine comes back after his "death" in ROTJ. A lot of people hate that story, but I don't mind it so much. It actually does fit in with his speech in ROTS about how he and Plagueis learned to conquer death.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye? Seriously? That's the story that was supposed to have been the original low-budget sequel to Star Wars if the movie hadn't been successful. Plus, all the racy scenes between Luke and Leia make their kiss in ESB look really innocent in comparison.
I meant Dark Empire, I think it's one of the best stories. I actually forgot about the Thrawn trilogy but that would be awesome also.

Splinter would be a guilty pleasure, but I still think its a story worth telling.
Old 02-23-13, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I'd much rather see this than a young Solo/Fett/Yoda/Max Rebo movie.
Yup. This makes far more sense than the idiotic Yoda/Solo movies they announced.
Old 02-24-13, 12:50 AM

This would be amazing if it is faithful to the game. I remember back when I first played it I thought to myself that this video game has a better plot and writing than any of the prequels. Also definitely on board with a Shadows of the Empire movie; Dash Rendar wold be much more interesting than a young Han. Or a Jedi Knight movie with Kyle Katarn.
Old 02-24-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
Well Yoda is 900 years old, they could tie it into the older movies by having Yoda show up as a padawan.
And his sidekick could be Lando Calrissian's great-great...great-great grandfather, Falcon Calrissian.
Old 02-24-13, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be up for yearly Star Wars movies. It might grow tired for some people. But I'd like to see all of these different angles of the universe.
Old 02-24-13, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by resinrats View Post
Hopefully they won't be like those game trailers where it is supposedly set thousands of years before Anakin but all the technology was the same. Saw destroyer droids, stormtroopers/clones, star destoyers. New designs please.

This has always been my problem with KOTOR, thousands of years I the past but technology seems about 20 years behind.
Old 02-24-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm View Post
This has always been my problem with KOTOR, thousands of years I the past but technology seems about 20 years behind.
The march of technology might stagnate in a society where mystical powers like the Force play a huge role. If we had Jedis on Earth, half the kids would abandon school to follow their ways. The Emperor was correct in removing Jedis from the galaxy.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.