Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Parasite (2019, D: Bong Joon Ho)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Parasite (2019, D: Bong Joon Ho)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Parasite (2019, D: Bong Joon Ho)

I was a little confused at the end.

Spoiler:

When the son got the morse code from his Dad and then was writing his own letter to him about getting a job and then getting a career and then buying that house so they can be reunited. They showed them being reunited after what seemed like a certain period of time had elapsed.

But then they go back and the son was back to the present writing that letter. Was that actually a flash forward or was that all in his head of what he was hoping would happen in the future?
Old 10-30-19, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I was a little confused at the end.

Spoiler:

When the son got the morse code from his Dad and then was writing his own letter to him about getting a job and then getting a career and then buying that house so they can be reunited. They showed them being reunited after what seemed like a certain period of time had elapsed.

But then they go back and the son was back to the present writing that letter. Was that actually a flash forward or was that all in his head of what he was hoping would happen in the future?
Spoiler:
All in his head wishing it would happen someday.
Old 10-30-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Spoiler:
All in his head wishing it would happen someday.
Spoiler:
How the hell was the kid going to get the letter to his father?
Old 10-30-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Spoiler:
How the hell was the kid going to get the letter to his father?

Spoiler:
He wasn't.
Old 10-30-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
He wasn't.
Spoiler:
So why'd he write it?
Old 10-30-19, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
So why'd he write it?
Spoiler:
Catharsis. He had a massive brain injury. Outside of him finally decoding his father's morse code. That's about all he can do. It was wishful thinking that he could become wealthy to later on buy the house and free his father. That's the happy ending in his head.
Old 10-30-19, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan

But at calling the rich folks decent and admirable. Maybe the kids, sure. But the parents were bad, y'all.
Indeed.
So tell me what the rich couple did that was so wrong? Making the grifters work on a Sunday? Telling them what to do? Those are perfectly normal things for employers of household staff to do. How does that justify Mr. Kim's action?

Old 10-30-19, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So tell me what the rich couple did that was so wrong? Making the grifters work on a Sunday? Telling them what to do? Those are perfectly normal things for employers of household staff to do. How does that justify Mr. Kim's action?
Spoiler:
Every man has a breaking point. If you don't get the concept then I don't know what to tell you. Stop trying to rationalize it. Do I agree with what happened? No. Do I understand why it happened? Yes.
Old 10-30-19, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Every man has a breaking point. If you don't get the concept then I don't know what to tell you. Stop trying to rationalize it. Do I agree with what happened? No. Do I understand why it happened? Yes.
Spoiler:
No, I don't get the concept. Everything that happened to Mr. Kim was his own fault. He had no one to blame but himself. He put himself in that position. How that implicates the rich couple I don't understand. But I appreciate your honest response and your willingness to discuss it.
Old 11-04-19, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 282 Likes on 180 Posts

This is fantastic. Right up there with "The Art of Self Defense" as my favorite movies of the year
Old 11-08-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Looks like I'll have to wait until early November at my Alamo Drafthouse but looks like they created a great special menu for it.
Big disappointment when I finally see this and there was no special menu on the tables, as per usual. Server told me the menu was pulled last week but he didn't know why.

The movie more than made up for it. Great movie with unexpected twists.
Old 11-09-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Really enjoyed this, so many surprises, such a thrilling experience. This is only playing a noon matinee at my local theatre, but there was a good number of people in the audience.

Spoiler:
It bugged me a little the mother didn't just send the former housekeeper away during the rainstorm. "You come back when Mrs. Park is here."

As for the father stabbing Mr. Park and whether it was motivated, as far as I remember, during the chaos of the party Mr. Park was trying to command the father to drive his son to the hospital, as the father is clamping his hand over his dying daughter's wound. He's being told to abandon his own family, that his child matters less than Mr. Park's.

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 11-09-19 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-09-19, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You might want to spoilerize some of that.
Old 11-09-19, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Okay, but I have no idea what the spoiler etiquette is around here anymore. I'd think spoilers would be assumed by page three of a thread about a movie?
Old 11-09-19, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This isn't a review thread.

But do whatever. I'm not an authority.
Old 11-10-19, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
Really enjoyed this, so many surprises, such a thrilling experience. This is only playing a noon matinee at my local theatre, but there was a good number of people in the audience.

Spoiler:
It bugged me a little the mother didn't just send the former housekeeper away during the rainstorm. "You come back when Mrs. Park is here."

As for the father stabbing Mr. Park and whether it was motivated, as far as I remember, during the chaos of the party Mr. Park was trying to command the father to drive his son to the hospital, as the father is clamping his hand over his dying daughter's wound. He's being told to abandon his own family, that his child matters less than Mr. Park's.
Thanks. That's a crucial detail. In the commotion of that scene, I either didn't notice or had forgotten it.
Old 11-10-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Saw it last night and it was great. Reminded me of Kurosawa's High and Low mixed with the black comedies of Buñuel about social inequality.
Old 11-11-19, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Big disappointment when I finally see this and there was no special menu on the tables, as per usual. Server told me the menu was pulled last week but he didn't know why.

The movie more than made up for it. Great movie with unexpected twists.
Alamo buys ingredients for their menus ahead of time. This movie was so popular that they basically ran out of everything. For some items, like the wings, they'd incur a loss if they had any left over so they underordered. The last day of the special menu was last night.
Old 11-11-19, 11:16 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Saw it last night and it was great. Reminded me of Kurosawa's High and Low mixed with the black comedies of Buñuel about social inequality.
It's funny... I watched Parasite and High and Low in the same week, just by chance more than anything else. They would make an excellent double feature.

Regarding Parasite, my showing had a pre-recorded Q&A at the end (from Fantastic Fest, which I attended, but came back to Houston the morning of the last day, which is when Parasite and Knives Out played, so I missed both).
I'm going to put this in spoiler tags, but these are really only light spoilers at best...
Spoiler:
Bong Joon Ho basically said that although the obvious interpretation is that the 'poor' family are the parasites forcing their way into the lives of the rich family, the rich family is equally parasitic in the way they exploit the labor/humanity of the working class. And, more than anything else, the film is about how we are all stuck in this world driven by capitalism, which he suggests (but didn't outright say, as far as I recall) is ultimately a parasite on us all.

I'm sure some might disagree.
Old 11-11-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
Alamo buys ingredients for their menus ahead of time. This movie was so popular that they basically ran out of everything. For some items, like the wings, they'd incur a loss if they had any left over so they underordered. The last day of the special menu was last night.
It sucked even more when they ran the ad for the special menu right before the movie.

I saw the movie on the 8th but, according to my server, they pulled the menu several days previously. And there weren't that many showings by the time I went, maybe 7 or 8. Just seems like something else happened.
Old 11-11-19, 12:04 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

^ in some markets, the custom menu just doesn't sell enough, so they stop getting the ingredients earlier. Mine kept the menu up through this weekend, but I think that was the end of it. The wings were good. Pizza was decent. Didn't try the rest of it.

I still miss the Togarashi Popcorn they did for Isle of Dogs. It was the best custom menu item I think they ever had... and it was just spice on popcorn
Old 11-11-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
Mine kept the menu up through this weekend, but I think that was the end of it. The wings were good. Pizza was decent.
Lucky bastard. I was ready to order both and chow down.
Old 11-11-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Wow, what a great film. I haven't seen a movie this original and exciting in years. I can definitely see this getting both a Best Foreign Language and Best Picture nomination. The screenplay better get one. As should the director in a perfect world. This one gets my highest rating, 10/10.
Old 11-11-19, 09:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Aw man. I want a good non-Region A Blu-ray for this asap.
Old 11-11-19, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Aw man. I want a good non-Region A Blu-ray for this asap.
Plain Archive will probably release a definitive version. Best to keep your eyes peeled for a Korean release that is English friendly.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.