Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Parasite (2019, D: Bong Joon Ho)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Parasite (2019, D: Bong Joon Ho)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-19, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Parasite (2019, D: Bong Joon Ho)

Originally Posted by dex14
Shit, man. Just go get some Kogi and call it a day.
Kogi is garbage. I wouldn't pay the $100 either.
Old 10-09-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts

Good article:Parasite: how Bong Joon-ho returned home to make his masterpiece

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...is-masterpiece

I've seen all of his (feature length) films since "Barking Dogs Never Bite" (2000). At that time, there was a big "New Korean Cinema" craze and I was buying Korean films like crazy. Oddly enough I saw "Parasite" in the small town of Marennes, France (I was there for a wedding last May). That's way up there with "Memories of Murder" and "Mother" in terms of his best films. But even his lesser films are good (The Host, Barking Dogs...), and I probably like Snowpiercer more than most.
Old 10-09-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Can't wait to see this. Still has 100% on rottentomatoes. Does rottentomatoes no longer average top critic ratings?
Old 10-11-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Some critic gave this movie its lone negative review to bring its RT Score down to 99%.

I forget the critic's name. I think it was Armond...something.
Old 10-14-19, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Bought my ticket for a screening on Saturday night.

Going to be a packed house!
Old 10-15-19, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Looks like I'll have to wait until early November at my Alamo Drafthouse but looks like they created a great special menu for it.
Old 10-15-19, 04:26 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

My local Alamo is doing an Oct 29 "early" showing, so you might want to check yours again to see if they've added the same. Includes a pre-recorded Q&A (from Fantastic Fest). I got my ticket.
Old 10-15-19, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

They're​ do have that but I have to work, unfortunately.

This podcast/YouTube channel I follow has three reviewers. All gave it 10/10 for the first time this year.
Old 10-17-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm seeing this Saturday morning.
Old 10-19-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just got back from this and holy fucking shit, what a masterpiece! Sorry Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, you have some competition for my top film of year.
Old 10-19-19, 09:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

I want this to stream now!
Old 10-20-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this last night. I think the screening was sold out.

Absolutely loved this film. Definitely want to see it again.

Last edited by asianxcore; 10-20-19 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-20-19, 11:17 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

i'm seeing this tonight.
Old 10-20-19, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, this one is getting high per-screen averages, so it's making money. My screening was about half full and I was in a big auditorium. Some of the smaller screens did sell out at my theater, too.

I may watch some more Bong Joon-ho today -- I have the BD of Memories of Murder -- may fire that up.
Old 10-20-19, 06:36 PM

It's nice to see the filmmaking community throwing their support behind this movie.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 10-21-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 10-24-19, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I’m not sure who the filmmaker wanted us to sympathize with in this film, but the only characters in it that I found to be decent and admirable were the four members of the rich Park family. The only crimes of the mother and father are being gullible and naïve enough to give these four con artists jobs and be so easily manipulated as to fire two longtime employees. Otherwise, I liked both characters very much, certainly moreso than the criminals whom the director is so invested in. Also, the rich daughter freely gives her love to the criminal son, who poses as an English tutor. What’s not to like about that? And the boy in the family, the problem child, responds quite well to the “art therapy” provided by the criminal daughter. His blossoming under the young woman’s guidance leads to the high-strung mother finally waking up to her abilities as a mother, wife and hostess and she seems to take renewed interest in the family again. It’s the only positive effect of the criminal family's actions in the course of the film. The eventual carnage that causes such tragedy is not the fault of the Parks and they don’t at all deserve what happens to them. It IS, on the other hand, fully deserved by the criminal family and
Spoiler:
that horrible couple in the sub-basement.
Who are we supposed to sympathize with?

So I have a question:
Spoiler:
Why does Mr. Kim kill Mr. Park? Mr. Park put his trust in him and gave him a job. So he acts a little entitled at times. Isn’t he entitled to? He certainly didn’t deserve to die for it.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-24-19 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-24-19, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I’m not sure who the filmmaker wanted us to sympathize with in this film, but the only characters in it that I found to be decent and admirable were the four members of the rich Park family. The only crimes of the mother and father are being gullible and naïve enough to give these four con artists jobs and be so easily manipulated as to fire two longtime employees. Otherwise, I liked both characters very much, certainly moreso than the criminals whom the director is so invested in. Also, the rich daughter freely gives her love to the criminal son, who poses as an English tutor. What’s not to like about that? And the boy in the family, the problem child, responds quite well to the “art therapy” provided by the criminal daughter. His blossoming under the young woman’s guidance leads to the high-strung mother finally waking up to her abilities as a mother, wife and hostess and she seems to take renewed interest in the family again. It’s the only positive effect of the criminal family's actions in the course of the film. The eventual carnage that causes such tragedy is not the fault of the Parks and they don’t at all deserve what happens to them. It IS, on the other hand, fully deserved by the criminal family and
Spoiler:
that horrible couple in the sub-basement.
Who are we supposed to sympathize with?

So I have a question:
Spoiler:
Why does Mr. Kim kill Mr. Park? Mr. Park put his trust in him and gave him a job. So he acts a little entitled at times. Isn’t he entitled to? He certainly didn’t deserve to die for it.

To your second spoiler
Spoiler:
He had enough. I guess you missed where they kept making comments about the "smell." You know, the smell of being poor. Poor people smell. Mr. Kim had enough. Shit, I wanted to kill Mr. Park. No, he is not entitled to act entitled on the backs of the poor. That's the fucking point. It breeds contempt and contempt is worse than hate. Nevermind Mr. Kim and his family were almost killed by the flooding of their home and had to spend the night at the local red cross gym. Then Mrs. Kim wants the entire family at their stupid spoiled son's party? Remember what Mr. Park's answer was to Mr. Kim's? You're being paid, so shut up and take it.

Enough is fucking enough.
Old 10-24-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

A friend of mine raved about this.

I think I will try to see it on Monday.

It's playing at an AMC about 30 minutes away and a CGV Korean movie theatre about 5 miles away. I might just suck it up and pay out of pocket to see this at the Korean theatre.
Old 10-24-19, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heard good things about it, but I don't really think it's my kind of movie
Old 10-24-19, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
To your second spoiler
Spoiler:
He had enough. I guess you missed where they kept making comments about the "smell." You know, the smell of being poor. Poor people smell. Mr. Kim had enough. Shit, I wanted to kill Mr. Park. No, he is not entitled to act entitled on the backs of the poor. That's the fucking point. It breeds contempt and contempt is worse than hate. Nevermind Mr. Kim and his family were almost killed by the flooding of their home and had to spend the night at the local red cross gym. Then Mrs. Kim wants the entire family at their stupid spoiled son's party? Remember what Mr. Park's answer was to Mr. Kim's? You're being paid, so shut up and take it.

Enough is fucking enough.
I appreciate your response. I didn't see it that way myself--Kim had certainly put himself in that position and had no one to blame but himself and his hellspawn for the situation he found himself in--but I can see how others would. Thanks.
Old 10-25-19, 11:57 PM

Campea finally saw it:

Old 10-29-19, 10:11 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

This looks to be getting a bigger push this weekend. I hope to see it on Saturday.
Old 10-30-19, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I went to a local Korean movie theatre to see this tonight.

I loved it. I loved how twisted it was and it also had some wicked dark humor.

The party scene was pretty crazy. Also, the fully clothed sex scene was pretty hot.

It's a tough movie to describe overall. But, I really really liked it.

This is probably top 10 material for 2019.

A few here ripped me for seeing a couple of mainland Chinese movies from Well Go USA recently, but overall I'm happy to see more Asian cinema get U.S. theatrical releases like this, The Farewell (although it's A24) and now this.
Old 10-30-19, 09:41 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Saw this last night.

Terrible. 1 vial of peach fuzz out of 5.

Nah, it was great. I didn't love the shit out of it like I think some others did, but it's a damn solid excellent film. Damn good.

But at calling the rich folks decent and admirable. Maybe the kids, sure. But the parents were bad, y'all.
Old 10-30-19, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But at calling the rich folks decent and admirable. Maybe the kids, sure. But the parents were bad, y'all.
Indeed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.