Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Midway (2019 - D: R. Emmerich)

Old 05-12-19, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Midway (2019 - D: R. Emmerich)

OK, so I'm looking through the movie schedule for the rest of the year and I ran across a movie titled, "Midway," set for release on November 8. The title grabs me because, at the age of 8 in 1976, I saw the original version of Midway in the theater IN, "Sensurround," (your seat vibrated at the right times for the visuals on the screen, and shook for explosions).

The original is a very good movie, with an amazing cast (Charlton Heston, Henry Fonda, James Coburn, Glenn Ford, Hal Holbrook, Toshiro Mifune, Robert Mitchum, and on and on), and I've always had a soft spot for it (and a place in my DVD/Blu Ray collection).

So when I saw that movie title I thought, "Must be come horror movie that takes place at least in part on a carnival midway - it couldn't be a remake." Except after clicking the link I saw that it IS a remake.

We're getting a remake of Midway, directed by Roland Emmerich, and starring Dennis Quaid, Ed Skrein (Ajax/Francis from Deadpool), Woody Harrelson, Luke Evans, and Aaron Eckhart, among others.

Ummmmm.... Advantage 1976 version. Big time.

Emmerich can certainly direct a movie with a story (and visuals) this big. He can definitely handle that side of the story. And none of those actors are bad, but they aren't all time greats like the actors in the original Midway were.

So what are we getting? What kind of budget was there? (It's listed as, "N/A.") Is screenwriter Wes Tooke any good? (His only significant credit prior to this was the TV series Colony.)

I may go see this simply because I love WWII movies, and because I love the story (it was the turning point in the Pacific War), and also because I love the original and am just curious to see how it compares.
Old 05-12-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Midway (2019 - D: R. Emmerich)

I’ll have to dissent with you regarding “Emmerich can certainly direct a movie with a story (and visuals) this big.” I think he’ll Michael Bay this thing a-la Pearl Harbor, along with some historical revisionist stuff. For me, this won’t end well at all. Emmerich on board kicks it down a few notches for me.
Old 05-12-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

An Emmerich movie will LOOK good but will be hollow as shit when it comes to any actual emotion created.

The only somewhat tolerable Emmerich movie is Independence Day and even that doesn’t hold up terribly well anymore and is quite silly in retrospect. I still enjoy it though. All of his other movies have been colossal missteps, including the highly overrated Stargate.

His movies are shit. I agree with E Unit. Emmerich being attached takes this down a few notches for me as well.
Old 05-12-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I’ll have to dissent with you regarding “Emmerich can certainly direct a movie with a story (and visuals) this big.” I think he’ll Michael Bay this thing a-la Pearl Harbor, along with some historical revisionist stuff. For me, this won’t end well at all. Emmerich on board kicks it down a few notches for me.
My point was he can handle the visual aspect of the story - and the story is VERY visual.

I do like a few of his movies (ID4, Stargate, Day After Tomorrow, Universal Soldier), but he hasn't been good at directing movies with substance or character depth. He just hasn't really done it.

I'm a little skeptical, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. And if the movie isn't good I can always pop my Blu Ray of the 1976 version in the player to take the bad taste away...
Old 05-12-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, but if they want to do justice to the history of what happened at Midway, then they’ll have no choice to make a movie with substance and character depth. Sure, it was “visual”, but it was a major battle in the Pacific Theater that was won by the Allies due to the decisions made. And in my opinion, Emmerich couldn’t pull this off to save his life. Like GoldenJCJ said, the results will be as hollow as Pearl Harbor and caricatures rather than fleshed out emotional drama.

Don’t get me wrong, if he makes a good historical movie, I’ll do my bit and support and watch it. But looking at the stuff he’s directed, he can’t do it.
Old 05-12-19, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Yeah, but if they want to do justice to the history of what happened at Midway, then they’ll have no choice to make a movie with substance and character depth. Sure, it was “visual”, but it was a major battle in the Pacific Theater that was won by the Allies due to the decisions made. And in my opinion, Emmerich couldn’t pull this off to save his life. Like GoldenJCJ said, the results will be as hollow as Pearl Harbor and caricatures rather than fleshed out emotional drama.

Don’t get me wrong, if he makes a good historical movie, I’ll do my bit and support and watch it. But looking at the stuff he’s directed, he can’t do it.
I'm not arguing that point. At all.

Which is why I mentioned that Emmerich could handle the visual aspect of the movie in the original post and didn't mention anything else that he could do - because he hasn't really shown that he can do much else. Some suspense, I suppose in Universal Soldier, but he hasn't exactly made a career out of character driven dramas...

I'm just hoping that an older, wiser Roland Emmerich did the right thing and made a movie that focuses on the story and characters more than the visuals for this one. I hope he at least tried.
Old 05-12-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Indeed. It is weird practically no one has heard of this movie. I wonder what the budget it for it.
Old 05-12-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ya’ll gonna’ lose it when you find out this is a low-budget, intimate drama about the Midway arcade game company ...
Old 05-12-19, 10:04 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
An Emmerich movie will LOOK good but will be hollow as shit when it comes to any actual emotion created.

The only somewhat tolerable Emmerich movie is Independence Day and even that doesn’t hold up terribly well anymore and is quite silly in retrospect. I still enjoy it though. All of his other movies have been colossal missteps, including the highly overrated Stargate.

His movies are shit. I agree with E Unit. Emmerich being attached takes this down a few notches for me as well.
i thought Stargate was a particular standout in his sea of emotionless movies. i thought that had it all, including emotion. but yeah, his others are not story or character driven whatsoever...
Old 05-12-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Ya’ll gonna’ lose it when you find out this is a low-budget, intimate drama about the Midway arcade game company ...
Now THAT I would believe if it were the case.
Old 05-12-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 05-12-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
i thought Stargate was a particular standout in his sea of emotionless movies. i thought that had it all, including emotion. but yeah, his others are not story or character driven whatsoever...
Stargate has a really good premise but the movie completely loses it when they decide to spend the vast majority of the film on a completely boring and uninspired pseudo-Egyptian world.

I never watched any of the tv shows but hopefully they fixed that by going to better locales.
Old 05-12-19, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well based on that poster, we now have an idea which way they'll go. I still can't determine whether or not it's based on the historical event or the game studio.
Old 05-12-19, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazingly, there was a lot of color combat footage of the actual battle. (John Ford's documentary, THE BATTLE OF MIDWAY, that he and his crew shot during the battle, was in color. And, yes, Ford was operating a camera also.) The 1976 version of MIDWAY interspersed the actual footage into its combat scenes. It also used footage from the Japanese film, I BOMBED PEARL HARBOR (1960), which starred Mifune and was chiefly about Midway, a remarkably accurate account, given the numerous tactical errors Japanese officers made which cost them the battle after first inflicting heavy casualties on American naval forces. The Americans who finally blasted the Japanese carriers and other ships had a lot of luck on their side. An incredible story, and one I can't imagine being handled well at all by Emmerich. (And I'm someone who actually liked Bay's PEARL HARBOR.)
Old 05-13-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That poster reminds me of the side of the 1942 arcade cabinet.
Old 05-13-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That poster reminds me of this chestnut.
Old 05-13-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ "Your code is, 'Climb Mount Niitaka.' Niitakayama nobore!"
Old 05-13-19, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
That poster reminds me of this chestnut.
That’s one movie I always kind of hoped for a remake of. It’s a very cool premise but that version just didn’t do justice to the awesome idea. There was a lot of wasted potential.