Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
14.29%
22.45%
40.82%
14.29%
6.12%
2.04%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-19, 06:57 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I’m not sure the plot is important with these movies.
Old 05-22-19, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Decker
So I guess nobody disagrees with my assertion that John Wick accomplishes literally nothing in the course of this movie?
Yeah, that's my biggest criticism of the movie. I thought this movie was going to wrap up a film trilogy, not just be a giant circle in which John Wick basically ends up where he was when the movie started.

I still like it better than Chapter 2 because I think the action was much more creative in this one than in was in that one (and even the first one), but I just wish the plot actually resolved the whole "excommunicado" storyline.
Old 05-22-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Thank you. It is just circular storytelling.

I came up with this analogy for my wife about the movie : Remember at the end of Titanic when Jack and Rose are both trying to balance of the wobbly floating debris? Imagine if the movie ended at that moment, The two years later, there's a sequel that starts at that exact point. For the next two hours, Jack swims all over, trying to negotiate for a spot on a lifeboat. He goes from lifeboat to lifeboat trying to strike a deal. Along the way, he fights off dozens of other survivors and stabs, bludgeons and drowns many of them (but not Billy Zane). In the end, frostbitten and exhausted, he weakly climbs back onto the precariously balancing floating debris where Rose is waiting anxiously. She asks him "Do we have a lifeboat?", He replies "No. And I'm PISSED!". Roll credits.
John Wick 3 is kinda like that.
Old 05-22-19, 05:04 PM

I came up with this analogy for my wife about the movie : Remember at the end of Titanic when Jack and Rose are both trying to balance of the wobbly floating debris? Imagine if the movie ended at that moment, The two years later, there's a sequel that starts at that exact point. For the next two hours, Jack swims all over, trying to negotiate for a spot on a lifeboat. He goes from lifeboat to lifeboat trying to strike a deal. Along the way, he fights off dozens of other survivors and stabs, bludgeons and drowns many of them (but not Billy Zane). In the end, frostbitten and exhausted, he weakly climbs back onto the precariously balancing floating debris where Rose is waiting anxiously. She asks him "Do we have a lifeboat?", He replies "No. And I'm PISSED!". Roll credits.
That sounds like an awesome movie!
Old 05-22-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Just reinforces that Wick is pretty much cursed, if you remember Viggo's "Priceless" conversation in JW1.

This life...follows you. It clings to you. Infecting everyone that comes close to you. We are cursed, you and I.
Old 05-24-19, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I guess you could say John saves Winston. So at least he accomplished that.
Old 05-24-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

JOHN WICK CHAPTER 3: PARABELLUM - R - The classic action series continues to up the ante, and leaves you ready for more as the credits roll.

When we last saw John Wick (Keanu Reeves) and his dog (Dog), they were in New York City running for their lives as John had been declared excommunicado for killing a member of the High Table inside the Continental, with less than an hour before a $14 million death mark goes out to every assassin throughout the world.

Running out of time and resources, John has to call in some very special markers, where we get some intriguing glimpses into his history, he’s reunited ever so briefly with old acquaintances (including the equally deadly Sophia, played by Halle Berry), and is targeted by a group of modern-day ninjas led by Zero (Mark Dacascos). At the same time, both Winston (Ian McShane) and the Bowery King (Laurence Fishburne) find themselves incurring the wrath of the High Table for providing aid to John, with pronouncements of judgment from The Adjudicator (Asia Kate Dillon).

Some things we learn in Chapter 3 - John continues to be nigh indestructible, he can turn pretty much anything into a weapon, including books and horses, and big pro-tip here, never engage John to a fight in an ancient weapons museum. It will not end well for you.

Director Chad Stahelski and his stunt crew bring in all to the table, and then some, with Parabellum. The action and story moves along at a rapid pace, there are plenty of “No way” moments, and we learn even more about the secretive world of the assassins guild, and just how far-reaching it is. By the time, John utters his last “Yeah!”, the movie ends with the promise that the next one will fire off into a completely unexpected direction.

I feel sorry for anyone who steps into the John Wick saga for the first time starting with this chapter. Seeing and understanding the world-building of the first two movies is absolutely vital to keep from being lost, as John Wick 3 heads out the gate at full blast and never lets up. I loved it, and am giving Parabellum 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers. Bring on the next one!

NOTES FOR PARENTS (Mild Spoilers): John Wick Chapter 3: Parabellum is rated R for constant action, gunplay, stylized and fairly graphic violence, and some language. There are four “F” bombs, the rest of the language is is primarily s**t, d*n. and a handful of others. Without getting into specifics - If you’ve seen the last two John Wick movies, then you know exactly what to expect from the action and violence, then crank it up to 13. This movie will wipe you out! Surprisingly, while there are bloody results during some of the gun, knife and other fights, I thought it wasn’t nearly as gory or bloody as other movies of this type.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENE: There are no mid- or after-credit scenes.

LIKE and SHARE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES.

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.

Old 05-26-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

So I guess nobody disagrees with my assertion that John Wick accomplishes literally nothing in the course of this movie?

I was thinking back on it : He risks his life to get a ballet teacher to "punch his ticket" so he can travel all the way to Morocco. Then calls in a huge favor with Halley Berry, gets taken to see somebody important to ask to speak to someone in the High Table, Fights for his life again, killing dozens, just so he can walk unaided into the desert, so he can almost die, so he can be rescued and brought to a High Table member, so he can pledge his loyalty and cut off his own finger to show his devotion, so he can be offered a chance to cancel his contract and continue to live -- as an assassin, so he can return to NYC and....refuse to do what was just assigned of him, so he can be back to exactly where he was before going into the ballet theater -- minus a finger?
You summed it up pretty well.
Old 05-26-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I’m not sure the plot is important with these movies.
It was very important in the first one. The first one is far, far superior to the third JW, and clearly superior to the second JW.

My wife wanted to watch the first John Wick last night, and there is a good amount of character development, and a solid plot. The second movie has very little character development, but a somewhat solid plot. The third movie is all about the action sequences and has a nearly pointless plot.

Last edited by B5Erik; 05-26-19 at 05:59 PM.
Old 05-26-19, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

So...dumb question and this may have been covered before (even back in JW2) but whatever happened to the huge staff of coins, guns and black suit that John concreted in his house in the basement at the beginning of JW2?

I was always puzzled why he never went back for any of it (it wouldn't have been destroyed in the explosion since it was in concrete and underground). And he still didn't go back for the stash in this one either.

Was that ever answered or did I just miss something in JW2?

I thought this was good but a little too similar to JW2. Some great fight scenes but the exposition and the story-telling made me tired.
Old 05-26-19, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was fun. Liked Halle Barry in her scenes. They should have kept her in longer.
Old 05-27-19, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
That was fun. Liked Halle Barry in her scenes. They should have kept her in longer.
She was in exactly the right amount of time. Despite her Oscar, she's not a very good actress. Had she been in the whole movie, I probably would have liked it less.
Old 05-27-19, 06:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
So...dumb question and this may have been covered before (even back in JW2) but whatever happened to the huge staff of coins, guns and black suit that John concreted in his house in the basement at the beginning of JW2?
Still there, as far as I know. I never knew why he didn't dig it back up either.
Old 05-31-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought this was pretty good and a worthy sequel. The action set pieces were great, and this feels more like the best videogame movie that was based on a video game never made. I feel like it is weaker than 2 though because I thought the high king in the desert was almost too stupid to have in a movie. I'm also not sure about the end which feels like it was added in post when Lionsgate decided they wanted another one. I still would give this a 4/5 though because I enjoyed the hell out of it.
Old 05-31-19, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Great follow-up to the previous two movies. Although my one minor grip would be the ending. I was hoping for something more definitive at the end of this Chapter with the probability of another.

But I knew I was in for a brutal ride after the library fight. Wow... I think I liked it a bit better than Part 2, but first one is still the gold standard.
Old 05-31-19, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by B5Erik
It was very important in the first one. The first one is far, far superior to the third JW, and clearly superior to the second JW.

My wife wanted to watch the first John Wick last night, and there is a good amount of character development, and a solid plot. The second movie has very little character development, but a somewhat solid plot. The third movie is all about the action sequences and has a nearly pointless plot.
I can’t disagree. I think it succeeds despite itself.
Old 06-02-19, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this film with one of my friends earlier tonight and one of the first comments we made was what you stated above. Definitely agree with you there!

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
She was in exactly the right amount of time. Despite her Oscar, she's not a very good actress. Had she been in the whole movie, I probably would have liked it less.
Definitely agree with this. The film played it safe with her. Give her people to kill, dogs with an appetite for nut-sacks & a few lines to keep audience engagement while she's on-screen.

I loved that Cecep Arif Rahman & Yayan Ruhian got a solid amount of screen-time to display their skills & abilities!
Old 06-02-19, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

The more I think about JW3, the less I like it. Stunts were great, of course, but it was pointless. So he chops his finger off to swear allegiance... why? Then he goes back on that... why? Then he gets shot... why? He's back to where he started, on the run - what was the point of this movie? If anything, it makes more sense if John Wick is now the bad guy.
Old 06-02-19, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
The more I think about JW3, the less I like it. Stunts were great, of course, but it was pointless. So he chops his finger off to swear allegiance... why? Then he goes back on that... why? Then he gets shot... why? He's back to where he started, on the run - what was the point of this movie? If anything, it makes more sense if John Wick is now the bad guy.
He’s not being hunted by all the assassins in the world anymore. Now the stage is set for the Bowery vs. the High Table.
Old 06-02-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Pretty sure his suit was bulletproof. So his getting shot was a non-issue for me. They made a point of showing that with the previous suit he was wearing.
Old 06-02-19, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Pretty sure his suit was bulletproof. So his getting shot was a non-issue for me. They made a point of showing that with the previous suit he was wearing.
Remember when he went to the tailor? He asked for tactical. It was definitely bulletproof. Of course that wouldn't help him with a four story fall.
Old 06-02-19, 05:50 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

it actually might lessen the blows with that whatever kevlar if bulletproof was in suit.

but i think the whole point of this one was to set up the final showdown with the High Table. seemed obvious. everything he went through, the reasons behind all actions in this will just lead to a final showdown, i believe.
Old 06-03-19, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Remember when he went to the tailor? He asked for tactical. It was definitely bulletproof. Of course that wouldn't help him with a four story fall.
Nanotech. Oh, sorry, wrong franchise.
Old 06-03-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack

Nanotech. Oh, sorry, wrong franchise.
Vibranium or maybe he's in the Matrix.
Old 06-06-19, 02:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Still there, as far as I know. I never knew why he didn't dig it back up either.
He hasn't had any time. This movie takes place right after the second one, and he's constantly been attacked/chased by assassins. Those coins aren't really gonna help him much if he's excommunicado though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.