Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
14.29%
22.45%
40.82%
14.29%
6.12%
2.04%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-19, 09:46 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts
Re: John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

so great fucking movie. more of the same and still fun as hell. i was giddily smiling the whole time. i did think and wish it was the end, but obviously not. so did Winston really turn on him at the end or did he know exactly where to shoot and that JW would survive the gruesome fall?
Old 05-19-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts
Re: John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Loved the movie and thought it was the best of the 3 so far. I like how they keep adding layers like the adjudicator system.
The one thing I didn't care for was the desert part. The idea that the one person who sits above the high table is some dude sitting in a tent out in the middle of the desert seemed pretty stupid to me.
Old 05-19-19, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I did hate the adjudicator. She was so smug I kept hoping she'd get hers.
Old 05-19-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by rennervision
Could someone explain to me what was going on near the beginning with Wick and the revolvers? It looked cool, but why was he taking them apart and reassembling them? What was he checking when he spun the chamber next to his ear?
From what I could see, Wick couldn't find the a working gun for the caliber bullet he had, so he just chambered the old Colt with it (which are ball/cap revolvers, unlike the Colt in Supernatural which was modified).

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I did hate the adjudicator. She was so smug I kept hoping she'd get hers.
Yeah... that was was the point. I think we (and the characters) were meant to hate her since she represented the High Table.

Last edited by candyrocket786; 05-19-19 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-19-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Could someone explain to me what was going on near the beginning with Wick and the revolvers? It looked cool, but why was he taking them apart and reassembling them? What was he checking when he spun the chamber next to his ear?
They were all antique revolvers, and antique bullets and they didn't necessarily fit each other - that was the quickest way he could figure out if a bullet could be fired by the gun
Old 05-19-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah... that was was the point. I think we (and the characters) were meant to hate her since she represented the High Table.
I guess we'll have to await until he assembles his "avengers" for part 4 and takes The Table out.
Old 05-19-19, 12:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

did Winston screw him in the end or was it just made to look like so he can get his hotel and power back?
Old 05-19-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I guess we'll have to await until he assembles his "avengers" for part 4 and takes The Table out.
I wonder if that will be the case, especially when you consider:

1. The number of other assassins that were Excommunicado on the chalkboard.
2. Sofia is probably on that list now.
3. I assume Cassian survived JW2. We don't know where his loyalties lie .
4. Jimmy.
5. Aurelio.
6. Ares (Ruby Rose) .
7. Zero (whom could still be alive) and the crew from the Raid (they lived) were big fans.
8. The Bowery King and his minions.

I'd just hate for the series to turn into Avengers: Endgame or John Wick : Featuring the Expendables
Old 05-19-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by OldBoy
did Winston screw him in the end or was it just made to look like so he can get his hotel and power back?
It looked like John was taken by surprise with that move, but it's really hard to read Winston and gauge his intentions. For a moment, you sort of think he has ambitions to be the High Table.
Old 05-19-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
It looked like John was taken by surprise with that move, but it's really hard to read Winston and gauge his intentions. For a moment, you sort of think he has ambitions to be the High Table.

It was hard to read Winston. At first I thought he used blanks and Wick was playing it up, but then that fucked up fall over the building squashed that notion.
Old 05-19-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I admired the environmentalist in John - carrying that water bottle all the way across the desert instead of throwing it away.

The "Winston Question" is my biggest annoyance of the movie, and I'm guessing it was intentional. Were there really bullets in the gun, or was it some kind of pre-determined rouse by both of them? The fact that John fell off a freakin' building seems to say Winston turned on him, but the reaction of Winston later on in the movie to John being alive seems to say that maybe there's a plan in place.

I have to confess I was bothered by the fact that John lost a finger. You'd think he want to get his wedding ring back, right?

All I could think about after the movie was "Gee, it's going to cost more on CGI in John Wick 4 hiding that missing finger than it would if Keanu Reeves just cut it off in real-life!"
Old 05-19-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts

Caught this yesterday. Probably the best action movie since Fury Road, though it doesn't surpass it, at least IMO. Loved that they let Halle Berry be a complete bad ass and didn't try any love story route , in fact, she was pretty cold to Wick for the most part. They should have either hired a better actress for the Adjudicator or just had her remain silent. Was a bit confused concerning Winston's loyalties myself. I have no doubt the really shot Wick, but I think he knew he would survive the fall, hence he only shot him enough to knock him off the roof. I think he has a bigger plan in mind. Loved that the ending basically a reunion of Neo and Morpheus .

I also have to give props to this franchise for seemingly building a stronger audience with each installment. Neither of the first two opened at #1 (the first merely did okay opening weekend). I went to a 1:30PM showing of this and the theater was almost sold out, which for an R rated movie on a Saturday says something.
Old 05-19-19, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 480 Likes on 352 Posts

As much as I absolutely loved the first John Wick, and as much as I liked the last one, this one just seemed like more of the same. I actually got bored during a couple of the fight scenes. It just felt like, "Been there, done that."

I didn't dislike JW3, but I didn't love it, and I didn't like it a lot. It just seems like they're so concerned with topping the action scenes in the previous movies that they forgot that these are supposed to be actual characters, not just video game fighters. The plot in JW3 is paper thin, and the character development is non-existent. Even in Kill Bill 1 Tarantino managed to have a fair amount of character development amidst all the chaos and ultra violence.

John Wick, the original, worked so well because they invested time in the characters, especially John Wick. In this one, there is zero time spent developing the character. He's just desperately moving forward. That wasn't true in the first movie, and was less true in Part 2. There was character development in the 2nd JW. Not here.

And they really should have wrapped up the story here. That would have allowed them to do anything they wanted with JW4, rather than painting themselves into a corner as far as continuing the JW VS the High Table story (one that is getting old now).

Again, I didn't hate it, but it was disappointing. It should have been better.

Having said that, I loved Halle Berry in this one. She got the most character development time out of any character in the movie, and yet she still kicked some serious ass!

3 1/2 out of 5.
Old 05-19-19, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I was meh on this until the final assault on the Continental. Once that happened, I think I would rank it above the 2nd one.
Old 05-20-19, 10:29 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Someone on another forum mentioned that they saw a previous cut of the film that ended after the fall... no Bowery King / Wick scene. I wonder if that would have been a "better" ending... just to leave people guessing for a bit longer.
Old 05-20-19, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Someone on another forum mentioned that they saw a previous cut of the film that ended after the fall... no Bowery King / Wick scene. I wonder if that would have been a "better" ending... just to leave people guessing for a bit longer.
Eh, I think "settling" it in this movie is better. Otherwise it looks like he's dead dead and then he comes back for the sequel.

I'm still thinking about the knife fight at the beginning. Wick chucking the axe from across the room to end it was one of my favorite action movie moments of all time. The only problem is it happens so early in the movie that it was never topped for me. Ah well.
Old 05-20-19, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Hey that scene with all the guys in the underground rooms with guns getting killed by the ninjas/sushi chefs, were they the Bowery guys? It happened right before they caught up with the Bowery King, so I assumed so; before that cut I had no idea who was getting murdered there.
Old 05-20-19, 07:09 PM

And not to be THAT GUY, but while I really enjoyed the film for what it was, as non-stop action, I did keep coming back to the same thought :
What the heck are we doing here? John Wick literally accomplishes nothing and just hurts all those who try to help him. Why are we even doing this?

Believe me I didn't want to have that thought. but in the end, what was achieved? Lots of bad guys get killed, sure. But not to protect or for the benefit of anyone except John Wick, who ends up in exactly the same amount of mortal danger that he started in, minus only one left ring finger.

I hope we get some resolution in the next one for God's sake.
Old 05-20-19, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I think that scene was a total homage to a scene in The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly in which Tuco takes apart some guns in a gun shop to assemble his own superior gun from the parts. (He even does that listen to the click-click-click next to his ear bit.)

Here's a clip of that scene:
The following users liked this post:
JeremyM (01-18-20)
Old 05-20-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I feel like Winston's "dumb act" when the Adjudicator told him Wick was gone pretty much reveals the whole thing was a performance.

Originally Posted by dhmac
I think that scene was a total homage to a scene in The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
Thanks. I was trying to remember when I saw someone do that before.
Old 05-21-19, 11:55 PM

So I guess nobody disagrees with my assertion that John Wick accomplishes literally nothing in the course of this movie?

I was thinking back on it : He risks his life to get a ballet teacher to "punch his ticket" so he can travel all the way to Morocco. Then calls in a huge favor with Halley Berry, gets taken to see somebody important to ask to speak to someone in the High Table, Fights for his life again, killing dozens, just so he can walk unaided into the desert, so he can almost die, so he can be rescued and brought to a High Table member, so he can pledge his loyalty and cut off his own finger to show his devotion, so he can be offered a chance to cancel his contract and continue to live -- as an assassin, so he can return to NYC and....refuse to do what was just assigned of him, so he can be back to exactly where he was before going into the ballet theater -- minus a finger?
Old 05-21-19, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Wasn’t it just to get the exile lifted? He had every assassin in the world gunning for him. He knew he couldn’t live long unless he did something about that.
Old 05-22-19, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Draven
Wasn’t it just to get the exile lifted? He had every assassin in the world gunning for him. He knew he couldn’t live long unless he did something about that.
Sure. But he refused to kill Winston, so it was like nothing was accomplished, and that was entirely Wick's choice.
Old 05-22-19, 12:52 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Sometimes, it's about the journey, not the outcome. Like Life is Strange, or the Canto Bight stuff in The Last Jedi.
Old 05-22-19, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
So I guess nobody disagrees with my assertion that John Wick accomplishes literally nothing in the course of this movie?
Kind of the point...and one of the reasons John is so pissed at the end.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.