DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Lodge (2020, D: Franz/Fiala) S: Keough, Lieberher, McHugh, Armitage (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/647591-lodge-2020-d-franz-fiala-s-keough-lieberher-mchugh-armitage.html)

dex14 05-07-19 11:45 AM

The Lodge (2020, D: Franz/Fiala) S: Keough, Lieberher, McHugh, Armitage

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...05e18360b2.jpg

In this psychologically chilling slow burn, a young woman and her reticent new stepchildren find themselves isolated in the family's remote winter cabin, locked away to dredge up the mysteries of her dark past and the losses that seem to haunt them all.

Starring Riley Keough, Jaeden Lieberher, Lia McHugh, Alicia Silverstone, and Richard Armitage.
Directed by Veronika Franz and Severin Fiala (Goodnight Mommy).

Dan 10-19-19 08:16 PM

re: The Lodge (2020, D: Franz/Fiala) S: Keough, Lieberher, McHugh, Armitage

Haven’t seen Goodbye Mommy... but just saw this.

Damn that was heavy. Not a good date movie.

asianxcore 10-20-19 01:22 AM

Saw the Trailer earlier today. Definitely will be watching this one.

I loved Goodnight Mommy and enjoyed Franz & Fiala's segment in The Field Guide To Evil (2018).

dex14 01-22-20 01:28 PM

This was pushed back a few months. Now it opens February 7th.

dex14 02-21-20 08:59 AM

This is getting a wider release this weekend. 72% currently on RT.

Osiris3657 02-25-20 03:48 PM

Re: The Lodge (2020, D: Franz/Fiala) S: Keough, Lieberher, McHugh, Armitage

This is pretty good. It's not your traditional horror movie with either a bunch of jump scares or nonstop gore, but a psychological one with a lot of tension with occasional moments of violence. I was surprised this isn't directed by Robert Eggers (The Witch/The Lighthouse) or Ari Aster (Hereditary/Midsommar). If you like those movies, you'll like this. Fits right in with them.

asianxcore 05-04-20 10:49 AM

I was left a little disappointed by this film, considering how much I enjoyed Veronika Franz & Severin Fiala's previous work.

Cinematography, Atmopshere & Sound Design are fantastic as is Riley Keough's performance.

The film's first 10-15 minutes (which I loved) deliver a feeling that the remaining run-time doesn't quite deliver on.

dex14 05-04-20 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 13735208)
I was left a little disappointed by this film, considering how much I enjoyed Veronika Franz & Severin Fiala's previous work.

Cinematography, Atmopshere & Sound Design are fantastic as is Riley Keough's performance.

The film's first 10-15 minutes (which I loved) deliver a feeling that the remaining run-time doesn't quite deliver on.

I saw this back when it was in theatres. I agree with your positives. Otherwise, I thought this was a bore.

asianxcore 05-05-20 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13735252)
I saw this back when it was in theatres. I agree with your positives. Otherwise, I thought this was a bore.

At first I wondered if it was because I was expecting the film to build to something a bit more flashy, similar to Goodnight Mommy (2014).

Then I remembered I enjoyed Franz & Fiala's segment from The Field Guide To Evil (2018) which wasn't very flashy at all.

I just wanted the film to build to a climax that felt in-line with two of the earliest images
Spoiler:
such as Grace's handheld footage of her cult as well as Laura's suicide.

Felt like the film had a hard time with whether to dial up or down after that. The later portions of the plot didn't help at all.

I know the film was Co-Written by Sergio Casci but am curious how much of the script is his and how much of it is Franz & Fiala's. Though some of the duo's thematic elements are present here.

Dan 05-07-20 10:40 AM

Now streaming on Hulu.

I might give this one a re-watch as I haven't seen it since October. I thought it was OK, but man, the moral of the story sure seems to be
Spoiler:
Kids are assholes.

asianxcore 05-09-20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13737178)
Now streaming on Hulu.

I might give this one a re-watch as I haven't seen it since October. I thought it was OK, but man, the moral of the story sure seems to be
Spoiler:
Kids are assholes.

Franz & Fiala had that as a running theme throughout
Spoiler:
Goodnight Mommy (2014) as well but played on an extreme note.

Daytripper 05-09-20 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 13735208)

Agree with everything you said here. Although I thought the film really worked in it's first 30-45 minutes and the rest didn't deliver on the same level.

inri222 07-18-20 09:29 PM

Very creepy well made psychological thriller. Reminded me in some ways of The Shining.

4/5

Abob Teff 11-01-20 08:22 PM

Wow ... that was ... bleak. If you are up for a deliberately paced mood-piece that takes its time unfolding AND uses that against you, this is your film.

One of my flat mates and I watched this last night. We watched about 40 seconds of the trailer, but shut it off to avoid any potential spoiler-ish scenes. We did not even know the basic plot beyond “kids and step-mom-to-be in a cabin.” My suggestion is that you know nothing going in. Do not watch the trailer if you have not already.

We didn’t know if it was supposed to be
Spoiler:
the ghost of the mom haunts them, evil step-mom out to get them, or (I speculated early) the kids try to get rid of the step-mom.

I was actually a (partial) step ahead of most of the twists but was in shock when I was right. The movie did a great job covering its tracks as most of my predictions were in the vein of “what would be the most messed up thing that could happen next?”

Very well made. Totally felt like an A24 production. I would really like to recommend this, but anybody I recommend it to will hate me. Go watch it.

brainee 11-01-20 08:49 PM

This is one I watched a couple of weeks ago and it struck me too. I didn't even realize it was from the makers of Goodnight Mommy.Definitely people to keep an eye on for new good horror. From my challenge list:

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 13814989)
This is one I think I may have to process more in my head. It had a great chilly atmosphere (a snow-bound lodge), a plot that kept me guessing where it was going, and a tone of escalating dread that draws comparisons to Ari Aster's movies. Though the big plot twist, while surprising, left me conflicted how I felt about things (giant spoiler follows that should not be read if you ever plan to watch):
Spoiler:
those were a couple of the most evil children ever in a movie, especially since it seems we were supposed to feel bad for them. Their "gaslight" plot was so elaborate and premeditated that it strained belief. And it was impossible to have sympathy for them, especially after they let the cute dog die (despite the girl crying, they knew that dog was gone for days before giving a shit) and stealing Grace's medication. And the dad seems like an idiot too, for leaving them alone in the first place.

Still, very good movie. ***1/2