Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Blinded by the Light (2019, D: Chadha) -- inspired by the music of Springsteen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-02-19, 11:31 AM

From writer/director/producer Gurinder Chadha (“Bend It Like Beckham”) comes the inspirational drama “Blinded by the Light,” set to the music and lyrics of Bruce Springsteen’s timeless songs. “Blinded by the Light” tells the story of Javed (Viveik Kalra) a British teen of Pakistani descent, growing up in the town of Luton, England, in 1987. Amidst the racial and economic turmoil of the times, he writes poetry as a means to escape the intolerance of his hometown and the inflexibility of his traditional father. But when a classmate introduces him to the music of “the Boss,” Javed sees parallels to his working-class life in Springsteen’s powerful lyrics. As Javed discovers a cathartic outlet for his own pent-up dreams, he also begins to find the courage to express himself in his own unique voice.

Based on Sarfraz Manzoor’s acclaimed memoir Greetings from Bury Park, “Blinded by the Light” is a joyful story of courage, love, hope, family and the unique ability of music to lift the human spirit. Chadha directed and produced the film, which was written by Manzoor, Chadha and Paul Mayeda Berges. The story is underscored by the music and poetic lyrics of Springsteen, who gave Chadha his blessing from the film’s inception.

“Blinded by the Light” stars Viveik Kalra, Hayley Atwell, Rob Brydon, Kulvinder Ghir, Nell Williams, Dean-Charles Chapman, and Aaron Phagura. The film was directed by Gurinder Chadha from a screenplay by Sarfraz Manzoor, Chadha and Paul Mayeda Berges. Jane Barclay, Chadha, and Jamal Daniel produced the film. Paul Mayeda Berges, Hannah Leader, Tory Metzger, Tracy Nurse, Stephen Spence, Peter Touche, and Renee Witt served as executive producers. Chadha’s behind-the-scenes creative team included director of photography Ben Smithard, production designer Nick Ellis, editor Justin Krish, and costume designer Annie Hardinge. The original score music is by A.R. Rahman.

A presentation of New Line Cinema, “Blinded by the Light” is slated for release on August 14, 2019 and will be distributed by Warner Bros. Pictures.

Last edited by dex14; 08-08-19 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-02-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Blinded by the Light (2019, D: Chadha) -- inspired by the music of Springsteen

At first I thought this would be like Yesterday..
Old 05-02-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Blinded by the Light (2019, D: Chadha) -- inspired by the music of Springsteen

This would be the perfect product placement for the part of the audience that mishears lyrics

Old 05-02-19, 12:45 PM

Reviews out of Sundance were very positive: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/blinded_by_the_light
Old 05-02-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why is it titled after a Manfred Mann song?
Old 05-02-19, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees View Post
Why is it titled after a Manfred Mann song?
Joking... ?
Old 05-02-19, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

...wrapped up like a douche another runner in the night....
Old 05-02-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, I'll go see that. I remember when I first discovered Bruce's back catalog after first getting Born in the USA in 1984 and yeah, it just kind of spoke to me. I get it.

Those songs are great and effective and cool to hear in a trailer. Just a reminder of why Peter Bogdonovich sued Universal way back when
Old 05-03-19, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Love old Springsteen stuff (before his marrying of Patti Scialfa).
Just not sure a movie with this premise would work...
Old 05-03-19, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by melasnus View Post
Love old Springsteen stuff (before his marrying of Patti Scialfa).
Just not sure a movie with this premise would work...
If you look at the reviews, clearly it does.
Old 08-07-19, 06:12 PM

This is what I’m doing tonight.

Bruce is in the building.

Last edited by dex14; 08-08-19 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-07-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No shit! That's cool.
Old 08-07-19, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Vacant Lot was a successor to The Kids In The Hall. If the embedding doesn't work, skip to 1:28. The whole episode is really good, too.

Old 08-08-19, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is a big year for Indians that are inspired by British and American music.

Yesterday and Blinded By the Light
Old 08-08-19, 06:51 AM

The movie was formulaic and a bit schmaltzy but I still found it very enjoyable. If you're a fan, you should enjoy it. It was a surreal experience watching it with Bruce in attendance and only sitting a few rows from me. The place was packed with fans who were going crazy during parts.

Warner Brothers really went all out. Free food and open bar after party with Southside Johnny playing and Bruce came on for 4 songs. It's been 3 years since I saw him last on tour (not including seeing the Broadway show), so it was great to see him play again in front of a party crowd.

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I remember when I first discovered Bruce's back catalog after first getting Born in the USA in 1984 and yeah, it just kind of spoke to me. I get it.
This is exactly the type of person it was made by and made for.

Last edited by dex14; 08-08-19 at 07:55 AM.
Old 08-08-19, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always liked The Boss from the songs that played in rotation on classic rock radio. About 15 years ago I started diving into the catalog and became obsessed, his lyrics and passion made me a better man. I can't wait for this movie, this story is universal.
Old 08-08-19, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like a fun movie where you don't feel like shit at the end of it so I'm in.
Old 08-08-19, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
It is a big year for Indians that are inspired by British and American music.

Yesterday and Blinded By the Light
Except the character in this is Pakistani.
Old 08-08-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like a fun feel good movie and I like Springsteen so I wouldn’t mind checking this out.
Old 08-08-19, 08:30 PM

Early screenings on the 12th: https://www.fandango.com/springsteen...TFpZB02xzgmZ-k

Looks like there's some bonus content with it.

It seems to be eligible for A-List.
Old 08-13-19, 02:42 AM

Really enjoyed this movie. The only Bruce Springsteen song I ever heard of before this movie was “Born in the USA.” I just enjoy movies with a strong family theme. The theater was almost empty though. Hopefully it picks up some steam, excellent movie.
Old 08-13-19, 05:25 AM

Pretty good old-fashioned poster. Really like it.
Old 08-13-19, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Early screenings on the 12th: https://www.fandango.com/springsteen...TFpZB02xzgmZ-k

Looks like there's some bonus content with it.

It seems to be eligible for A-List.
Bonus content was just about 15 minutes of footage around the premiere/after party.

I thought the movie was good but not great. I'm not a huge Springsteen fan. I'd give it a B.
I've seen the trailer a bunch of times so a lot of the good jokes and plot points were already spoiled.
Old 08-17-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw it today. I agree with the above poster's B rating. It's formulaic, but harmless fun. I enjoyed it.
Old 08-17-19, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
I saw it today. I agree with the above poster's B rating. It's formulaic
I was afraid of that.

For someone who was there at the beginning of Springsteen and his band, it's hard to think of his early music as fluff or light entertainment.
It meant a lot...pulled us thru when times got tough (for various reasons).

Last edited by melasnus; 08-17-19 at 07:51 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.