Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Crawl (2019, D: Aja, P: Raimi) S: Kaya Scodelario, Barry Pepper

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Crawl (2019, D: Aja, P: Raimi) S: Kaya Scodelario, Barry Pepper

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-19, 10:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 911 Likes on 771 Posts
Re: Crawl (2019, D: Aja, P: Raimi) S: Kaya Scodelario, Barry Pepper

You mean with the 10 sequels?
Old 07-13-19, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

This movie cost 13.5 million and was completely filmed in Serbia.
Old 07-14-19, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
This movie cost 13.5 million and was completely filmed in Serbia.
I wonder what the actual cost was after the Serbian 25% cash bonus for movie productions kicked in.
Old 07-14-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
In the theater, I have seen it in front of almost every movie I have seen for the past couple of months. My friend has been commenting how sick of it that he is.
Yeah with the 25 minutes of previews that AMC shows, I'm usually well and sick of just about every movie before it hits the theatre. I like the trailer, but I think I've Once Upon a Time in Hollywood at least ten times already, and I'm sure I'll see it again on Wednesday. I remember one time last fall I went out and talked to the staff about the sound mix in the theatre because the trailer for the Favourite didn't sound right.

As for Crawl, I enjoyed it for what it was. One question I had though was what happened to the other boat? It is a Florida Man thing to wait until the hurricane hits to go work on some home repairs.
Old 07-14-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
It is a Florida Man thing to wait until the hurricane hits to go work on some home repairs.
Horse shit! We don't repair them regardless
Old 07-24-19, 03:19 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Fun flick. Kaya was badass. I hope she gets more leading roles.
Old 07-24-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
As for Crawl, I enjoyed it for what it was. One question I had though was what happened to the other boat? It is a Florida Man thing to wait until the hurricane hits to go work on some home repairs.
The police boat? I thought the same thing but it wasn't tied up at all. I assume it just drifted away.

And I think the implication was that he had been down there for a little while. Trying to fix a few things before heading out.
Old 08-08-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 811 Likes on 600 Posts

I caught a $6 Twilight showing of this today and I enjoyed it. It's a solid little flick. 3.5/5
Old 08-09-19, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dex14
Fun flick. Kaya was badass. I hope she gets more leading roles.
This is a good reason for me to watch it. Plus usually enjoy Aja.
Old 09-15-19, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Finally got a chance to see this earlier this evening.

I haven't cared about an Alexandre Aja film in 7 years but this was incredibly claustrophobic & wacky/fun.

Kaya Scodelario was solid.
Old 09-15-19, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Just got out of seeing it. Loved it. 87 minutes of pure thrills. For a low budget horror, this was so well made and directed. Felt like a throwback to old 80s horror. I jumped out of my seat many times. My theatre screamed at quite a few scenes.
It's pure fun IMO. If you liked seeing those old giant and scary man-eating animal horror movies back in the day, then check this one out.
Saw this at the discount theater, and these comments are spot on.

Completely absurd and manipulative, but very well-made and 100% effective. There was one guy in the theater who was completely freaked out and that made the whole thing more fun, listening to him cry out.

Between this Kaya Scodelario and Samara Weaving, it is making me wonder about the UK and Australia. Are they producing these beautiful young women in factories someshere?
I mean, for chrissakes, Margot Robbie isn't 30 yet! We don't need replacements for her so soon!
Old 09-16-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

my god this was a stinker! We left the drive in for this one with 20 min to go as it was getting so ridiculous. we ended up googling the end after the 4 of us that were there gave our guess and each guess was better than what the movie did .
Old 09-16-19, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
my god this was a stinker! We left the drive in for this one with 20 min to go as it was getting so ridiculous. we ended up googling the end after the 4 of us that were there gave our guess and each guess was better than what the movie did .
Drive-in? At least 3 of you should have been drunk enough to enjoy it!
Old 09-16-19, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Drive-in? At least 3 of you should have been drunk enough to enjoy it!
LOL it was my wife and two kids. We had a few beers but we're in front of the kids on zero gravity lawn chairs and had to drive home. Would have been a lot better with a good buzz on for sure!
Old 10-17-19, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Redboxed this and it was just ok. I'm glad I did not see it at theater. The production values and fx work was top notch considering the low budget. The story was lame, though. BTW, if a gator clamps down on you then that's a wrap. Whatever part gets clamped on - you will be losing that part. There were way too many scenes of folks getting clamped on but being able to get out of it.

The last film I liked that Aja directed was Horns.
Old 10-29-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Good old fashioned monster movie...I'm game.
Pure silliness.
The Suspension of Disbelief necessary demanded of a viewer is WAY beyond anything I am capable of.
EJECTED at 1/2 hour.

Loved Haute Tension, but this is a stinker.
Old 10-29-19, 11:18 AM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Pure silliness.
The Suspension of Disbelief necessary demanded of a viewer is WAY beyond anything I am capable of.
EJECTED at 1/2 hour.

Loved Haute Tension, but this is a stinker.
What is "pure silliness" is your bullshit "review" if you didn't even finish the movie. Why even bother posting?
Old 10-29-19, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I usually really enjoy films like this, but this one was just terrible.

I managed to finish it, but I agree with melanus.
Old 10-29-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
What is "pure silliness" is your bullshit "review" if you didn't even finish the movie. Why even bother posting?
Exactly. 30 minutes? Why even bother posting that? If you can't finish the movie, don't even waste time posting. No one gives a shit that he couldn't make it past 30 minutes.
Old 10-29-19, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

30 minutes is more than enough time to know what you're gonna get for the rest of the flick.
Old 10-29-19, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Koby
30 minutes is more than enough time to know what you're gonna get for the rest of the flick.
No it's not.

And if you don't care enough to finish it, then you're just wasting time coming to a message board to post incomplete thoughts.

I mean seriously this is a 90 minute creature horror movie that takes place during a storm. If you thought 30 minutes was some kind of insult to your intelligence, then I don't know what you were expecting.
Old 10-29-19, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No it's not.

you're just wasting time coming to a message board to post incomplete thoughts.
I fully disagree, and telling people not to post on a forum just because you disagree is rather of silly. It's no wonder activity seems to continually be dropping off around here over the course of the last few years especially. People aren't allowed to express differing opinions anymore.

Don't get mad because people disliked something you enjoyed. It's an opinion, everyone has them.

I watched the whole movie, and yet I fully knew what to expect for the rest of the film after the 30 minute mark. So I fully understand where melanus is coming from.
Old 10-29-19, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk God

I fully disagree, and telling people not to post on a forum just because you disagree is rather of silly.

Don't get mad because people disliked something you enjoyed. It's an opinion, everyone has them.
I disagree.

If he watched all 90 minutes of Crawl and thought it was stupid, then fine, at least he finished it and it adds a little more credibility to his opinion.

But, he didn't. So his "review" is worthless IMO.

That would be like me watching 2-3 minutes of the Pilot of Batwoman and posting a paragraph review saying it's the worst piece of crap ever when I didn't even finish it to get complete context of the show.

I know entertainment is subjective and it's unreasonable to think random strangers from across America will like the same things you like.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-29-19 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I disagree.

If he watched all 90 minutes of Crawl and thought it was stupid, then fine, at least he finished it and it adds a little more credibility to his opinion.

But, he didn't. So his "review" is worthless IMO.

That would be like me watching 2-3 minutes of the Pilot of Batwoman and posting a paragraph review saying it's the worst piece of crap ever when I didn't even finish it to get complete context of the show.
Comparison is whack. It'd be more like watching 1/3 of the full season of Batwoman and then making a decision. By that point you fully know what to expect from the rest. If you don't know what to expect of a creature film after watching 1/3 of it, then I really don't know what else to say, I find that very hard to believe. The show wasn't a mystery. The terrible representation of the gators and bad decisions was already apparent by that point in the film and you should know enough about where it's headed to make a decision as to whether you're enjoying it enough to finish it or if you'd rather not waste the other hour on it when you're already disliking it.

If you're not capable of that sort of mental capacity, don't hold it against others who do. Some people have better things to do with their time than to finish something they've already determined not to be worth it.

It comes down to you simply being upset that his opinion didn't align with yours, so you attempted to discredit his opinion based on the fact that he made a decision not to finish it based on the knowledge he had at the time he stopped. There's really no reason he shouldn't be able to express his opinion about the segment he did watch. If his opinion bothered you, simply ignore it and move on, rather than try to dictate that he's not allowed to express himself just because you disagreed with his assessment.

Last edited by Koby; 10-29-19 at 11:27 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Comparison is whack. It'd be more like watching 1/3 of the full season of Batwoman and then making a decision. By that point you fully know what to expect from the rest. If you don't know what to expect of a creature film after watching 1/3 of it, then I really don't know what else to say, I find that very hard to believe. The show wasn't a mystery. The terrible representation of the gators and bad decisions was already apparent by that point in the film and you should know enough about where it's headed to make a decision as to whether you're enjoying it enough to finish it or if you'd rather not waste the other hour on it when you're already disliking it.

If you're not capable of that sort of mental capacity, don't hold it against others who do. Some people have better things to do with their time than to finish something they've already determined not to be worth it.
Well, at least you finished it. I'm a little surprised by your aggressive defense, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

and I never said I was mad because his opinion didn't align with mine. I personally think posting that kind of "review" is a waste of time. Again, if he finished it and thought it was stupid, then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-29-19 at 11:33 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.