Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saints Row (D: F. Gary Gray) -- based on the video game

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-30-19, 01:45 PM

EXCLUSIVE: F. Gary Gray is developing to direct a film based on the hit action video game Saints Row. Greg Russo, who’s scripting the Mortal Kombat reboot at Warner Bros, is writing.

Gray, who followed Straight Outta Compton with The Fate of The Furious, just completed Men In Black: International, which stars Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson, and will be released June 14 by Sony Pictures.

Created by Deep Silver Volition, Saints Row spans four installments and has become one of the top selling video game franchises of all time. It tells the story of the rise of the Third Street Saints as they battle rival gangs in an attempt to conquer the fictional cities of Stilwater and Steelport.

Pic is a co-production between Fenix Studios, Koch Media and Occupant Entertainment. Koch Films is a subsidiary of the German-based Koch Media, the conglomerate that owns Deep Silver. The film will fall under Fenix Studios’ production and development deal with Starlight Culture Entertainment Group. Fenix is separately developing a feature adaptation of the video game Echo, and has set Derek Kolstad (John Wick trilogy) to write it.

Gary Glushon is overseeing development for Gray’s Fenix Studios. Felipe Marino and Joe Neurauter are overseeing for Occupant with Stefan Kapelari and Moritz Peters for Koch Films.

Aside from the Mortal Kombat reboot he’s writing for Warner Bros, Russo worked on the Resident Evil reboot for Constantin.

Occupant is in post-production on action-comedy Guns Akimbo, starring Daniel Radcliffe.

Gray is repped by UTA, Artists First and Del Shaw Moonves; Russo’s deal was brokered by Verve, Lit Entertainment and Jeff Frankel.
https://deadline.com/2019/04/saints-...axg34XeK7otGeA

Last edited by dex14; 04-30-19 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-30-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Saints Row (D: F. Gary Gray) -- based on the video game

Really? I just want SR5 and/or a remaster of the first 2 games.
Old 04-30-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Crank 3?
Old 04-30-19, 02:23 PM

Old 04-30-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that's a bad idea for a movie --but then again I saw a trailer for Sonic the Hedgehog this morning, so I'm willing to believe literally any other concept will probably work better.
Old 04-30-19, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I mean you can probably pretty easily adapt the games loosely into a movie. Basically will just be a heist/crime action film using the name. I don’t really know how relevant the games are anymore. The last one released six years ago and the franchise has essentially always just been a lesser GTA clone.
Old 04-30-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
I mean you can probably pretty easily adapt the games loosely into a movie. Basically will just be a heist/crime action film using the name. I don’t really know how relevant the games are anymore. The last one released six years ago and the franchise has essentially always just been a lesser GTA clone.
​​​​​​
...GTA clone with more dildos. All the dildos really.
NSFW? https://youtu.be/EUWcRaONLkg
Old 04-30-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They have gone way off the path of GTA clone in the last few games. Aliens, Superpowers, the Boss becoming President of the United States, and literally going into Hell to fight Satan and save the Boss, has all been part of the plot. And I personally liked that goofiness a lot better.
Old 04-30-19, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
They have gone way off the path of GTA clone in the last few games. Aliens, Superpowers, the Boss becoming President of the United States, and literally going into Hell to fight Satan and save the Boss, has all been part of the plot. And I personally liked that goofiness a lot better.
Yeah, I kind of forgot the third and fourth went in a goofier direction. Still I'd imagine they’d go more grounded. Maybe not though.
Old 04-30-19, 06:28 PM

If this doesn't feature Nolan North running around smacking aliens with a dildo, I'm out!
Old 04-30-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I’m not a gamer, but I enjoyed 3 ... and when I played 4 I lost my shit. What a riot of a good time!

I would guess a movie would have to jump straight into 4 territory.