Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Stephen King's Salem's Lot (D: Dauberman, P: Wan)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-23-19, 05:17 PM

Received 4,516 Likes on 3,064 Posts

Gary Dauberman will write the script for New Line Cinema’s big screen adaptation of Stephen King’s “Salem’s Lot,” which James Wan, Roy Lee and Mark Wolper will produce.

King wrote the novel in 1975, only his second to be published at the time. It follows a writer who returns to the town of Jerusalem’s Lot, where he lived as a young boy, only to discover everyone he used to know is now a vampire. It was also King’s first book to top the New York Times Bestseller list. In 1979, Tobe Hooper directed a “Salem’s Lot” TV movie, while a miniseries was released in 2004.

Dauberman will also executive produce the project.

Dauberman just wrapped his directorial debut “Annabelle Comes Home” for New Line, and his recent credits include the screenplays for “It,” “The Nun,” “Annabelle” and “Hell Hath No Fury.” He also wrote the screenplay for “It: Chapter Two,” “Swamp Thing” and “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” “It” broke box office records when it was released in September 2017 and has since become the highest-grossing horror movie of all time.

“Salem’s Lot” will be Dauberman’s sixth theatrical collaboration with New Line. His most recent producing venture with the production studio, “The Curse of La Llorona,” debuted over Easter weekend with a $26.3 million opening.

Wan is a hot commodity at Warner Bros., especially given his recent success with “Aquaman.” The movie starring Jason Momoa made $1.5 billion worldwide after it opened in December 2018. He also directed two of “The Conjuring” films for Warner Bros./New Line.

Dauberman is represented by Lars Theriot of Industry Entertainment, Kathleen Remington of ICM Partners, and Eric Suddleson of Felker Toczek Suddleson Abramson. Wan is represented by Paradigm, Mortimer PR, Stacey Testro International and attorney David Fox.
https://www.thewrap.com/gary-dauberm...an-to-produce/
Old 04-23-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 219 Likes on 161 Posts
re: Stephen King's Salem's Lot (D: Dauberman, P: Wan)

I don't know whether to be excited about this or not. 'Salem's Lot is my favorite Stephen King book, but the two TV adaptations have been somewhat lackluster, with the first one being hamstrung by the CBS Network's S&P guys, and the second one, while getting away with a lot more, still being somewhat sanitized as a product for basic cable (in this case, TNT).

If they can come up with a reasonably close adaptation of the novel, I'm all in. If they decide to go the PG-13 route, I'm just not interested.
Old 04-23-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,287 Likes on 936 Posts

The tv movie wasn't bad for being a tv movie.
Old 04-25-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 122 Posts

Salem's Lot is my fav book of King's as well (although since reading the shining, I'll have to re-read Salem's Lot to see if it's still the top book for me) and I'm not sure this will go well unless they change a few things
Spoiler:
Mainly the ending where he's pounding the stake through the vampires chest at light speed, thought it was corny in the book and the TV movie.

Little off topic: I highly recommend Salem's Lot and Pet Semetary as the first two Stephen King books to read for those who have never read any of his stuff.
Old 08-27-21, 06:13 PM

In perhaps his biggest role to date, Lewis Pullman has nabbed the lead in New Line’s adaptation of Stephen King’s best-selling novel, Salem’s Lot.

Gary Dauberman, who previously tackled King as a writer on New Line’s two-part hit adaptations of It, wrote the script and is directing the feature project, with shooting to get underway in September in Boston.

Pullman will star as author Ben Mears, a man who returns to his childhood home of Jerusalem’s Lot in search of inspiration for his next book only to discover his hometown is being preyed upon by a vampire, leading him to band together a ragtag group that will fight the evil presence.

David Soul played the part in Lot’s previous screen adaptation, the 1979 miniseries from Tobe Hooper, the horror filmmaker behind The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Poltergeist.

For New Line, the project sees the union of the producing teams behind two of some of its biggest horror franchises, The Conjuring and It. Atomic Monster’s James Wan and Michael Clear, whose Conjuring Universe of movies, four of which were written by Dauberman, has generated over $2 billion worldwide, are producing with Vertigo’s Roy Lee, whose It holds the record of highest grossing horror film of all time with over $700 million worldwide. Mark Wolper is also producing.

Michael Bederman, Atomic Monster’s Judson Scott and Vertigo’s Andrew Childs are executive producing, as is Dauberman.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ve-1235004127/
Old 08-28-21, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 213 Likes on 127 Posts

I’m usually pretty neutral on remakes, but the original ‘79 miniseries is my favorite vampire film/miniseries/show/whatever, as well as my favorite Kind adaptation. I don’t see any chance of a remake even coming close to it.
Old 08-29-21, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

I got an old paperback of Salem's Lot at a bargain bookstore a while back, may finally read it. I've read King's early works of Pet Semetary and The Shining , and one thing that I seem to notice is you can actually see the movie and not have the books spoiled, as they tend to be quite different at some points. Overall story is the same, but they do make significant changes to both. Same with the recent Doctor Sleep.
Old 08-30-21, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 374 Likes on 272 Posts

I wonder if this is filming in Maine this October-Nov. I saw an ad online looking for 1960s and mid70s cars to be used on location in Maine those weeks for a "Stephen King movie". They are also doing a drive-in theater scene which I'd be willing to be will be in Bridgeton ME as that is one of the few open drive-ins in ME. Would be very cool to watch the movie there when it's released if the timing is right.
Old 08-30-21, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I wonder if this is filming in Maine this October-Nov. I saw an ad online looking for 1960s and mid70s cars to be used on location in Maine those weeks for a "Stephen King movie". They are also doing a drive-in theater scene which I'd be willing to be will be in Bridgeton ME as that is one of the few open drive-ins in ME. Would be very cool to watch the movie there when it's released if the timing is right.
This is filming in Massachusetts, I believe… at least for a portion. Production is supposed to start soon. What you saw might be for Christine.

Last edited by dex14; 08-30-21 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-30-21, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

As much of a fan of Stephen King that I am, I’ve surprisingly never read the story or seen the previous movies.

Im not a huge fan of the Vampire genre so I think that’s kept me mostly away but I’ve always heard good things. I’ll definitely check this out if/when it becomes available.
Old 08-31-21, 12:50 PM

EXCLUSIVE: New Line’s feature adaptation of Stephen King’s 1975 bestseller Salem’s Lot is expanding its cast with The Assistant actress Makenzie Leigh, Primetime Emmy nominee Bill Camp and Spencer Treat Clark who’ll star opposite of previously announced Lewis Pullman.

In Salem’s Lot, author Ben Mears (Pullman) returns to his childhood home of Jerusalem’s Lot in search of inspiration for his next book only to discover his hometown is being preyed upon by a bloodthirsty vampire. Leigh will play Susan Norton, Camp is Matthew Burke and Clark is Mike Ryerson.
https://deadline.com/2021/08/salems-...rk-1234824426/
Old 09-01-21, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

Maybe the third time will be the charm.
Old 09-10-21, 05:24 PM

Salem’s Lot,” the studio’s upcoming adaptation of Stephen King’s best-selling novel about vampires, will open on Sept. 9, 2022. “Salem’s Lot” is directed by Gary Dauberman, who oversaw “Annabelle Comes Home” for the studio. It stars Alfre Woodard, Lewis Pullman, Makenzie, Leigh, Bill Camp, Spencer Treat Clark, and William Sadler.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/f...ay-1235061291/
Old 07-11-22, 11:34 AM

Warner Bros is moving New Line’s adaptation of Stephen King vampire novel Salem’s Lot from Sept. 9 to April 21, 2023. I hear the move is due to Covid-related delays in the post production realm. The Gary Dauberman-directed pic also had a handful of days of additional photography six weeks ago.
https://deadline.com/2022/07/salems-...23-1235061343/
Old 11-01-23, 06:22 AM

Did Warner Bros. get spooked?

The studio is looking to jettison its horror film “Salem’s Lot” to Max, sources say. Warner Bros. developed it for a theatrical rollout, but after sitting on the shelf for a year, the Gary Dauberman-directed Stephen King adaptation is poised to make its debut on the Warner Bros. Discovery streaming platform.

A source with knowledge of the back-and-forth says the move is not a reflection of the film’s quality but is due to the fact that the ongoing SAG-AFTRA strike has created a growing need for Max content. “Salem’s Lot” is one of a few Warner Bros. films deemed to make the jump. But a Warner Bros. spokesperson said, “No decision has been made about the film’s future distribution plans.”

“Salem’s Lot,” which shot in Massachusetts in 2021, was intended as a September 2022 release, with the month proving to be a successful pre-Halloween horror corridor for the studio. But Warners pushed the film to spring 2023, citing COVID-related postproduction delays. Earlier this month, “Salem’s Lot” quietly moved off the schedule altogether, prompting speculation that it would be a Warner Bros. Discovery tax write-off in the vein of last year’s “Batgirl.”

Starring “Top Gun: Maverick’s” Lewis Pullman, the film’s cast also includes Makenzie Leigh, Bill Camp, Pilou Asbaek, Alfre Woodard and William Sadler. Dauberman, who began developing the project in 2019, also wrote the screenplay. James Wan is a producer on the new “Salem’s Lot” via his Atomic Monster, the company behind a bevy of Warner Bros. horror hits from the “Conjuring” franchise.

As with the original two-part CBS miniseries from 1979, the storyline follows a writer who returns to his hometown of the fictitious Jerusalem’s Lot to find he must then do battle with vampires. The book also was adapted in 2004 by TNT for an Emmy-nominated series starring Rob Lowe.

In the past, King novels have boosted Warners at the box office, most notably with Andy Muschietti’s low-budget adaptation of “It,” which earned $704 million worldwide in 2017.
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/s...ut-1235774431/
Old 11-01-23, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: Stephen King's Salem's Lot (D: Dauberman, P: Wan)

Sounds like a turd, but I'll give it a shot on MAX. To date the original 1979 miniseries is the best, along with the prequel Chapelwaite starring Adrien Brody.
Old 11-01-23, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
To date the original 1979 miniseries is the best, along with the prequel Chapelwaite starring Adrien Brody.
And let's not forget the absolute blast that Return to Salem's Lot is! Larry Cohen's horror films (It's Alive, Q, The Stuff) have all come up short to me, but after first seeing this movie last October on Max, what a redemption that was! It also really helps if you know a lot about Samuel Fuller before going into this movie.
Old 11-01-23, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Just curious now, what is the longest a movie sat on a shelf and then was a success?
Old 11-01-23, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
And let's not forget the absolute blast that Return to Salem's Lot is! Larry Cohen's horror films (It's Alive, Q, The Stuff) have all come up short to me, but after first seeing this movie last October on Max, what a redemption that was! It also really helps if you know a lot about Samuel Fuller before going into this movie.

I've never seen Return to Salem's Lot. Heard it was awful.
Old 11-02-23, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I've never seen Return to Salem's Lot. Heard it was awful.
Well, let's just say that it came out at a time when Horror sequels weren't quite taking themselves seriously (Evil Dead 2, Silent Night-Deadly Night 2,Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, Return of the Living Dead 2) It most certainly fits in with those goofy vibes.
Old 11-02-23, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I wonder if WB even test screened this movie to see what interest might be like? If they did, the response must have been lukewarm to basically think it's not worthy of a theatrical release.