Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Stephen King's Salem's Lot -- P: James Wan

Old 04-23-19, 05:17 PM

Stephen King's Salem's Lot -- P: James Wan

Gary Dauberman will write the script for New Line Cinema’s big screen adaptation of Stephen King’s “Salem’s Lot,” which James Wan, Roy Lee and Mark Wolper will produce.

King wrote the novel in 1975, only his second to be published at the time. It follows a writer who returns to the town of Jerusalem’s Lot, where he lived as a young boy, only to discover everyone he used to know is now a vampire. It was also King’s first book to top the New York Times Bestseller list. In 1979, Tobe Hooper directed a “Salem’s Lot” TV movie, while a miniseries was released in 2004.

Dauberman will also executive produce the project.

Dauberman just wrapped his directorial debut “Annabelle Comes Home” for New Line, and his recent credits include the screenplays for “It,” “The Nun,” “Annabelle” and “Hell Hath No Fury.” He also wrote the screenplay for “It: Chapter Two,” “Swamp Thing” and “Are You Afraid of the Dark?” “It” broke box office records when it was released in September 2017 and has since become the highest-grossing horror movie of all time.

“Salem’s Lot” will be Dauberman’s sixth theatrical collaboration with New Line. His most recent producing venture with the production studio, “The Curse of La Llorona,” debuted over Easter weekend with a $26.3 million opening.

Wan is a hot commodity at Warner Bros., especially given his recent success with “Aquaman.” The movie starring Jason Momoa made $1.5 billion worldwide after it opened in December 2018. He also directed two of “The Conjuring” films for Warner Bros./New Line.

Dauberman is represented by Lars Theriot of Industry Entertainment, Kathleen Remington of ICM Partners, and Eric Suddleson of Felker Toczek Suddleson Abramson. Wan is represented by Paradigm, Mortimer PR, Stacey Testro International and attorney David Fox.
https://www.thewrap.com/gary-dauberm...an-to-produce/
Old 04-23-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Stephen King's Salem's Lot -- P: James Wan

I don't know whether to be excited about this or not. 'Salem's Lot is my favorite Stephen King book, but the two TV adaptations have been somewhat lackluster, with the first one being hamstrung by the CBS Network's S&P guys, and the second one, while getting away with a lot more, still being somewhat sanitized as a product for basic cable (in this case, TNT).

If they can come up with a reasonably close adaptation of the novel, I'm all in. If they decide to go the PG-13 route, I'm just not interested.
Old 04-23-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The tv movie wasn't bad for being a tv movie.
Old 04-25-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Salem's Lot is my fav book of King's as well (although since reading the shining, I'll have to re-read Salem's Lot to see if it's still the top book for me) and I'm not sure this will go well unless they change a few things
Spoiler:
Mainly the ending where he's pounding the stake through the vampires chest at light speed, thought it was corny in the book and the TV movie.

Little off topic: I highly recommend Salem's Lot and Pet Semetary as the first two Stephen King books to read for those who have never read any of his stuff.