Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

Old 04-23-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 708 Likes on 516 Posts

Leonardo DiCaprio Eyes Guillermo del Toro’s ‘Nightmare Alley’ Remake (EXCLUSIVE)
By JUSTIN KROLL

Leonardo DiCaprio is in negotiations to star in Fox Searchlight’s remake of “Nightmare Alley,” Guillermo del Toro’s follow-up to his Oscar-winning film “The Shape of Water.”

Del Toro will direct the pic and co-wrote the script with Kim Morgan. The pic is being produced and financed by Guillermo Del Toro and J. Miles Dale with TSG Entertainment, with Fox Searchlight acquiring worldwide distribution rights to the film.

The film is based on the 1947 Fox movie that starred Tyrone Power as an ambitious young con-man who hooks up with a female psychiatrist who is even more corrupt than he is. At first, they enjoy success fleecing people with their mentalist act, but then she turns the table on him, out-manipulating the manipulator.

The plan is for the film to shoot in the fall as del Toro fills out the remaining roles.

After “The Shape of Water” went on to win several Oscars, including best picture and best director for del Toro, the auteur decided to hold off on picking his next directing gig, only focusing his efforts as a producer on the Searchlight movie “Antlers.”

DiCaprio has not been seen in a movie since his Oscar-winning performance in “The Revenant” in 2015, choosing to take some time off before signing on to star in Quentin Tarantino’s next film, “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.” That film, which also stars Brad Pitt and Margot Robbie and centers on the Manson family murders, is scheduled to bow on July 26.

He is repped by LBI Entertainment.
Sorry if there's a thread already. Search function is worse than it used to be.
Old 06-14-19, 01:23 PM

Received 4,512 Likes on 3,060 Posts
re: Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

Old 06-14-19, 05:32 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
re: Nightmare Alley (2021, D: Del Toro) S: Cooper, Blanchett, Collette, Dafoe, Jenkins, Mara, Perlman

I rewatched the original back in April when this was announced. It is such a great film. Powerful, twisted, full of surprises. It’s on my list of greatest ever American pictures. It is woefully under seen. Watch this movie. It’s incredible.
The following users liked this post:
Pointyskull (09-15-21)
Old 06-14-19, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 930 Likes on 709 Posts

Really? I found it overly melodramatic. I too watched it in April (though not because of the announced remake...it was because I read an article that cited the Ramones were influenced by it when writing their song Suzy is a Headbanger). But it reminded me of that old In Living Color sketch (that was done in black and white) with the excessive stylized film noir dialog that people use when parodying the genre.

Colleen Gray as the circus girl/wife was awfully lovely though. Too bad she didn't a more prominent Hollywood career. Looks like she worked steadily her whole life, but always in bit parts.
Old 06-16-19, 11:54 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

You’re crazy. The twists of who dies, the multi-level con game goes down; the crazy, inevitable ending.

And the whole things just filthy. Filthy drunken circus, nasty learing crowds, mean sheriff, everybody on the take, mentalism, blackmail, everything!
Old 08-02-19, 01:01 PM

Cate Blanchett Eyes Guillermo del Toro’s ‘Nightmare Alley’ With Bradley Cooper (EXCLUSIVE)
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/c...mWQH_RBqcLoxp0
Old 08-02-19, 01:15 PM

As you might imagine, Guillermo del Toro‘s new adaptation of Nightmare Alley, which is set to star Bradley Cooper, is one of the hottest projects in Hollywood right now. The film will be del Toro’s follow-up to The Shape of Water, which won Best Picture, and it will be Cooper’s first starring role since his Oscar-nominated turn in A Star is Born. So it should come as no surprise that del Toro is lining up a top-notch cast for his next feature. Here are the names we are currently hearing from sources, and do keep in mind that none of these deals are closed as of now, so it’s entirely possible that one or two of these names could change in the future.

Sources tell Collider that Toni Collette, hot off Hereditary, is poised to play the female lead opposite Cooper, and that she’ll likely be joined by del Toro’s Shape of Water star Richard Jenkins, as well as his very own Hellboy hero, Ron Perlman. Meanwhile, Willem Dafoe is also in line to co-star, as is Mark Povinelli from Water for Elephants.

Elsewhere, two-time Oscar winner Cate Blanchett and Rooney Mara are also being eyed for key supporting roles, though as you might imagine, their deals may be a little harder to make than those listed above. And finally, Michael Shannon, who co-starred in The Shape of Water, is also being eyed for a small role, though scheduling may pose a problem in his case.

Nightmare Alley is based on the William Lindsay Gresham novel of the same name that follows roustabout Stanton ‘Stan’ Carlisle, who joins a traveling carnival and unsuccessfully schemes to figure out the mind-reading act of Mademoiselle Zeena and her alcoholic husband, Pete. But when Pete dies, Zeena is forced to take on Stan as a partner, and he quickly proves more gifted than his predecessor. Ambitious to a fault, it’s not long before Stan goes out on his own — to mixed results.

Now, Jenkins, Shannon and Mara all have two Oscar nominations apiece, while Dafoe has four nominations of his own, and Collette earned a nod for The Sixth Sense. Not to be outdone, Perlman is a two-time Emmy nominee and Golden Globe winner. That’s a lot of actors surrounding Cooper, so let’s discuss who they might be playing.

Collette would play Zeena Krumbein, who works in a traveling carnival where she bills herself as a psychic known as Mademoiselle Zeena. Dafoe is likely playing the role of Pete, though it’s unclear whether that character will be changed from Zeena’s husband to her father in this new film, or whether del Toro will keep their relationship as is.

Perlman is poised to play Bruno, the carnival’s strongman, which certainly makes sense given his physicality as an actor. Jenkins is expected to play one of Stan’s marks, while Shannon and Povinelli’s intended roles are being kept under wraps.

Mara is being eyed to play Molly, the younger woman who catches Stan’s eye, while Blanchett is being sought to play Stan’s psychologist, who may or may not be trustworthy despite her oath of confidentiality.

Del Toro co-wrote the script with Kim Morgan, and he’s also producing the Fox Searchlight film along with J. Miles Dale. Production is expected to start this fall. A representative for the studio could not be reached for comment. Stay tuned to Collider for more news on Nightmare Alley as the casting process plays itself out.
Guillermo del Toro Lining Up Star-Studded Cast for Nightmare Alley | Collider
Old 01-30-20, 12:53 PM

Searchlight Pictures has announced production is now underway on Guillermo del Toro’s “Nightmare Alley,” adapted by del Toro and Kim Morgan from the 1946 William Lindsay Gresham novel of the same name. Many of the official cast has been previously announced, but the confirmed ensemble includes Bradley Cooper, Cate Blanchett, Toni Collette, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins, Ron Perlman, Rooney Mara, and David Strathairn. Del Toro is shooting the film in Toronto, Canada. Per Searchlight, principal photography started this week.

Searchlight’s production start announcement also confirms the crew members who are working with del Toro on “Nightmare Alley.” Excitingly, Richard Jenkins is far from the only person from “The Shape of Water” reuniting with del Toro on his new project. “The Shape of Water” production designer Luis Sequeira, cinematographer Dan Laustsen, visual effects supervisor Dennis Berardi, and editor Cam McLauchlin are all working with del Toro on “Nightmare Alley.” New to the group is production designer Tamara Deverell, who last worked with del Toro on his FX television series “The Strain.”

Searchlight’s official synopsis for del Toro’s latest project reads: “In ‘Nightmare Alley,’ an ambitious young carny (Cooper) with a talent for manipulating people with a few well-chosen words hooks up with a female psychiatrist (Blanchett) who is even more dangerous than he is. The carnival cast includes carnival worker Molly (Mara), head barker Clem (Willem Dafoe), and Ron Perlman as Bruno the Strongman. Richard Jenkins is part of the high society crowd as wealthy industrialist Ezra Grindle.”

“I’m inspired and elated to be joined by this brilliant cast,” del Toro said in a statement announcing the beginning of production. “Kim Morgan and I have worked with great passion to bring the dark, raw world and language of William Gresham to the screen and now we are joined by a superb group of artists and technicians to bring it to life.”

Producer J. Miles Dale is also reuniting with del Toro after “Shape of Water” and added, “Given the depth of this incredible cast, I consider it a bucket list privilege to be working alongside them all with the support of our great partners at Searchlight. It’s going to be a joy to watch these world class actors and Guillermo elevate each other’s craft in this new interpretation of Gresham’s seminal novel.”

Searchlight has not announced a theatrical release date for “Nightmare Alley,” though some believe it could be ready for the 2020-21 awards season with a fall debut. Del Toro’s “Shape of Water” premiered at the Venice Film Festival on its way to winning Best Picture.
https://www.indiewire.com/2020/01/gu...am-1202207164/
Old 01-30-20, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,286 Likes on 935 Posts

This is shaping up quite nicely.
Old 09-10-21, 05:06 PM

Guillermo del Toro’s “Nightmare Alley,” due for a limited release from Searchlight Pictures on Dec. 3, has moved to a wide release on Dec. 17 — putting it head-to-head against “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” a co-production between Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios.
Old 09-14-21, 03:42 PM

MR Round (09-16-21)
Old 09-14-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 817 Likes on 542 Posts

Speaking of Del Toro, what the fuck ever happened to Antlers that movie he produced?
I know it got fucked by covid, but I think it was supposed to come out like 18 months ago.
Old 09-14-21, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Speaking of Del Toro, what the fuck ever happened to Antlers that movie he produced?
I know it got fucked by covid, but I think it was supposed to come out like 18 months ago.
Currently slated for Oct. 29.
Toddarino (09-15-21)
Old 09-14-21, 06:32 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

damn NWH is this Dec??? I may have to go back!!
Old 09-14-21, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Last couple times I was at the theater, they played the trailer.
Toddarino (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Antlers is still slated for October 29th.
Old 09-15-21, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Shitty release date, though. I guess the studio doesn't want this to make any money.

Old 09-15-21, 09:26 AM

Old 09-15-21, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Shitty release date, though. I guess the studio doesn't want this to make any money.
Trying to mirror the release time of TSoW. This probably wouldn’t make much money, regardless.

Last edited by dex14; 09-15-21 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-16-21, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 208 Posts

Holy shit. This looks GREAT!

OldBoy (09-17-21)
Old 09-16-21, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, looks good and a great cast. Potential.
Old 09-16-21, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Looks good, but isn't it a bit dreary to be putting out at the holidays? That said, give me a GDT adaptation of A Christmas Carol!
Old 09-17-21, 11:52 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

i love that Del Toro still uses Ron Pearlman in his stuff. love the big dude.
Old 09-17-21, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Looks good, but isn't it a bit dreary to be putting out at the holidays? That said, give me a GDT adaptation of A Christmas Carol!
Horror and holidays goes well together, especially for one set in the cold, imo at least. Plus I mean, The Exorcist was released on December 26th, and the first two Scream movies were December releases as well.
Old 09-17-21, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts

Looks great visually (as all his movies do), just not sure if it'll be good. Nothing outside of the visuals has me all that interested.

Like that Del Toro continues to film parts of his movies in Hamilton, and has talked about having a film studio here.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.