Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gemini Man (2019, D: Ang Lee) S: Will Smith, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen, Benedict Wong

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gemini Man (2019, D: Ang Lee) S: Will Smith, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen, Benedict Wong

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-19, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Gemini Man (2019, D: Ang Lee) S: Will Smith, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen, Benedict Wong

Saw it in IMAX 2D today. And it was a very empty theatre for what is a pretty busy AMC that I frequent. Probably 15-20 people at most.

Anyways, I didn't think it was a God awful steaming dumpster fire that some are making it out to be. Will Smith was enjoyable, some good action scenes and I really liked Mary Elizabeth Winstead. I also thought she was the highlight. This movie IMO proves that she can do an action movie.

That being said, Clive Owen was a shitty villain and some of the dialogue was pretty bad.

The de-aging on "Junior" was pretty good, but it really only worked on the night shots. The last wrap up scene where we see "Junior" in the day time looked really really bad. It blatantly looked like a CG figure.

B- from me.
Old 10-13-19, 09:34 PM

Received 803 Likes on 523 Posts
Re: Gemini Man (2019, D: Ang Lee) S: Will Smith, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen, Benedict Wong

Originally Posted by DJariya
... some good action scenes and I really liked Mary Elizabeth Winstead. I also thought she was the highlight. This movie IMO proves that she can do an action movie.
Yes, I agree. She was the highlight for me.

Will just acted like he was there for the paycheck.

Originally Posted by DJariya
The de-aging on "Junior" was pretty good, but it really only worked on the night shots. The last wrap up scene where we see "Junior" in the day time looked really really bad. It blatantly looked like a CG figure.
If pretty good is somewhere between The Rock in The Scorpion King (re: horrendous) and the Carrie Fisher in Rogue One (re: laughably bad).

Any scenes with Junior (minus a handful) were on par with the quality of cinematic sequences in an Uncharted game.

It was a D for me... I just won't be watching it again.
Old 10-14-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Saw it in 3D HFR (60 fps) yesterday at a regal. It was in one of the annoying "converted to loungers" theaters where the top of the seats in front of you block the bottom part of the screen. so annoying. Hardly anyone there, only 8 people total, I think.
The movie was pretty sucky. I like the high frame rate and 3d for the actions scenes. My issue with it is that the 3D glasses made everything darker so the dark scenes were really dark. They need to up the brightness to compensate for the 3D glasses..
I was surprised by
Spoiler:
the 3rd will smith
and then felt dumb about it.
I wanted more of the Gatling gun guy. I dont think he was the same guy as the "final boss". His armor was different and it looked like he had dark green face paint around his eyes. Also, he looked like 100 pounds buffer. Ever since I saw him in the trailer months back, I've been waiting to see if he got shot in the eye hole.
Old 10-16-19, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 867 Likes on 391 Posts

Saw this yesterday in 3D HFR, I assume 60fps. Fandango lists it as 60, but nothing on Regal. I enjoyed it for what it was worth. I thought the 3D generally looked great. Only scenes didn't look right to me that stood out were the boating scenes. Some angles the color looked washed out on the beach, and the water off in the distance just looked like no detail at all. I liked the 'sitting in a room talking' scenes. It was like you were really in the room, and the detail was amazing. The Columbia stuff looked great too.
How some of the camera pans started following things, like the motorcycle in the alley was pretty cool.
If you're a 3D fan I recommend trying to see the HFR 3D in the theater regardless of the reviews.

I thought the ending kind of fizzled out. I couldn't help but get a 'my mom's name is Martha too' vibe.
Love Winstead ever since BrainDead, every time I see her I like her more and more. I was thinking I could see her doing more action movies too.

Now that it's been mentioned, now I'm not positive who the gunner was either.
Old 10-16-19, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

^ If you haven't seen Faults you should give that a shot, she was pretty solid in it.
Old 10-18-19, 03:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Tempted to see it in IMAX for the special effects but that's about it.
Is it worth the $20? Weighing that verses the $30 for it on 4K BLU.
Old 10-21-19, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Article on Hollywood Reporter about how this is going to wind up being a $75 million loss.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...n-loss-1247292
Old 01-17-20, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, it’s a pretty decent Friday night Redbox time-killer.
Old 02-16-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Rented the 4K from Redbox -- it was mediocre. Some of the scenes do look stellar, but most look like crap. There was one scene towards the end of film where a vehicle gets hit by a rocket and is propelled forward -- that was the best of the HFR action shots that actually looked cool, IMO. The Dolby Vision/Atmos soundtrack was great, though. I am glad I only rented this for $2 with a .50 cent digital coupon discount.
Old 02-17-20, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts

Just to be clear, -you can only see the HFR version on the physical UHD disc, right? The 4k streaming versions are just "regular" 4K?
I'm curious, so I might pick it up when it's lower priced down the road.
Old 02-17-20, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
Just to be clear, -you can only see the HFR version on the physical UHD disc, right? The 4k streaming versions are just "regular" 4K?
I'm curious, so I might pick it up when it's lower priced down the road.
Yes, on the 4K disc -- that's all that's on there. I do not know about the digital versions.
Old 03-02-20, 07:46 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Sweet Jesus this was not good at all
Old 04-04-20, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

This wasn’t quite as bad as I thought it would be. Although to be fair my expectations were pretty low going in.

Some scenes of Young Will looked pretty decent but other scenes looked pretty rough, yet overall those de-aging/facial CGI effects weren’t as bad as I was expecting. Honestly, I thought some of the fighting CGI effects looked far worse than Young Will’s face. The entire catacombs fight looked like two Gumbys going at it.

Overall, a decent rental but mostly forgettable and I won’t argue with anyone who hated it.
Old 04-04-20, 11:15 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
This wasn’t quite as bad as I thought it would be. Although to be fair my expectations were pretty low going in.

Some scenes of Young Will looked pretty decent but other scenes looked pretty rough, yet overall those de-aging/facial CGI effects weren’t as bad as I was expecting. Honestly, I thought some of the fighting CGI effects looked far worse than Young Will’s face. The entire catacombs fight looked like two Gumbys going at it.

Overall, a decent rental but mostly forgettable and I won’t argue with anyone who hated it.
That catacomb fight was indeed horrific. I’ll definitely agree that the fighting scenes looked ball blisteringly awful
Old 04-04-20, 11:34 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

So bad I shit EddieMoney’s pants.
Old 04-04-20, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 718 Likes on 587 Posts

The special effects on the Young Will Smith riding the motorcycle
Old 09-20-20, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

The regular HD version is available free on Prime, if one is curious.
Old 09-20-20, 08:32 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i just saw this on Blu 3D. neither the real 3D, nor the movie impressed me that much.
Old 09-20-20, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

This is also on Hulu now. The first half was great. The second half was ok. Some cheesy lines. CGI fighting was Matrix Reloaded bad.

Cinematography looked good though.
Old 09-21-20, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Watched on Hulu... ok, fell asleep watching on Hulu. It's awful.
Old 09-21-20, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I quite liked it, even though it does feel incredibly dated.

If it had been released 20 years ago, I could see it being one of the action high points of the decade. Maybe not as high a point as the Matrix, but in the True Lies territory.

The problem is we've had a lot progress since then, especially with Marvel now setting the standard for Action.
Old 09-21-20, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I guess I never commented about this after I watched it. Or at least I couldn't find a comment by me in the thread anyways.

I enjoyed this movie for what it was, but the CG looked really off and dated. Not nearly as good as you'd expect it to be for a film made in the current year. But if you enjoy action flicks you can probably overlook it and still enjoy this one.
Old 09-21-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is sad that with all the movies that get no comments this gets 3 pages.

It sucked and Will Smith is cheesy.
Old 09-21-20, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
It is sad that with all the movies that get no comments this gets 3 pages.

It sucked and Will Smith is cheesy.
Because it's a special effects driven movie with Will Smith and an Oscar winning director, not the Red Box and cable trash you normally watch.
Old 09-22-20, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It is crap and the reason people complain about the quality of movies today.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.