Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Gemini Man (2019, D: Ang Lee) S: Will Smith, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen, Benedict Wong

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Gemini Man (2019, D: Ang Lee) S: Will Smith, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen, Benedict Wong

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Gemini Man (2019, D: Ang Lee) S: Will Smith, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen, Benedict Wong

That's too bad. While the trailers had been meh, the Ang Lee part at least had me curious.
Old 09-26-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Re: Gemini Man (2019, D: Ang Lee) S: Will Smith, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Clive Owen, Benedict Wong

The trailer got me interested in who, if any, wins out. Or both or neither. But I was hoping for a good film.
Old 09-27-19, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

This movie looks like a hot bag of french cat piss. I wouldn't watch it if you paid me.
Old 09-27-19, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 825 Likes on 546 Posts

This looks terrible. The only thing worse than Will Smith is two Will Smiths.
Old 09-27-19, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Pre-sale tickets are up today.

I got one for Sunday the 14th in IMAX. Looks like there aren't any Dolby showings for this. It's either IMAX or IMAX 3D with HFR,
Old 10-09-19, 03:23 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

I have a ticket for this tomorrow but reviews are just terrible...
Old 10-09-19, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Too bad, I was actually thinking this looked alright from the trailers. Probably will pass on it until it comes to home media.
Old 10-09-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Some friends saw this and said it was mediocre. The did say that if you must see it that the HFR is definitely the way to go.
Old 10-09-19, 06:45 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

There's only one cinema in Houston playing it in HFR, but info is conflicting. AMC site says it's 3D 60fps. Collider says it's 3D 120fps.

If it's actually 120, I might go. I own Billy Lynn on 4K and it plays at 60fps. Too bad that movie is terrible in nearly every way.
Edit: AMC on Twitter says that location is the only one doing 120fps. Hell, I might as well go.

Last edited by Dan; 10-09-19 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-10-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Will probably go see this since it won't likely be replicated at home properly. Anyone know if Regal 4DX showings are also in high frame rate 3D? Common sense would say it would be but you can never tell these days. Can't believe the IMAX is showing this in shitty 2D when it was natively shot in 3D. Just another reason I hardly go to theaters, when it's so hard to make sure you're going to the "right" showing.
Old 10-10-19, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

I have zero interest in HFR
Old 10-10-19, 08:34 PM

This was a complete fucking bore. Skip it.
Old 10-10-19, 08:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This was a complete fucking bore. Skip it.
Well shit, you confirmed my assumption. What the hell is going on with Ang Lee?
Old 10-10-19, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit

In this case, he directed a long gestating Bruckheimer passion project.
Old 10-11-19, 11:16 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I mainly went last night to see what 3D HFR (60fps for the theater I went to) looked like. To be honest, it felt like I was watching a picture from an uncalibrated TV where the default sharpness & brightness levels were cranked up to max.

Several scenes seem to play toward the technology of trying to “be there” with long closeups of talking. I have to wonder what this looks like in regular 2D viewings where people are just staring at a massive closeup that feels held too long.

Plot was very by the numbers and the script/dialogue was meh/lazy. The premise is interesting, but every thing else felt flat. The main characters don’t seem like they’re worried about anything, so that’s a palpable lack of tension to the whole movie.

a few positives:
- I haven’t really watched Will Smith in something for awhile, and I realized I like his presence. Wish he was in something better.
- the totally computer generated young Will Smith was well done. There were a scene here or there where that uncanny valley hit, but it was well done more often than not
- Liked Mary Elizabeth Winstead in this
- Action scenes were short but I liked them overall. Unfortunately, a lot of the hand to hand were generally filmed in closeups.
Old 10-11-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 164 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by E Unit
He seems more interested in new technology as opposed to telling a decent story in some of his movies. Anybody care to comment on Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk?

Haven't a clue why David Benioff and Billy Ray agreed to keep their names on this thing--the script is terribly weak. If you've watched the trailer, you know the important parts of the story, and you can probably guess how things turn out. If you can't guess how this film ends but have seen
Spoiler:
The 6th Day
then you'll have a really good idea how this one plays out.

This movie has some pretty hilarious action movie logic:
Spoiler:
  • 'You need a gulfstream jet? Hey, I know a guy...let me just make a call'
  • the government is after Smith, Winstead, and Wong so they have to go completely off-grid and not use bank machines...so where did Winstead get all the money to bribe that DNA lab assistant?
  • the gang fly in from Hungary but are able to enter U.S. air space and land on some back woods air strip in Georgia and just walk right off the tarmac to some nearby farm. Guess security is just a bit lax in their world.
BTW, did anyone see what happened to
Spoiler:
that Humungus/Iron Man wannabe who was using the turret gun in the final fire fight? The camera shows him in close up before he dices up the hardware store, but then he just seems to disappear.
Old 10-11-19, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
BTW, did anyone see what happened to
Spoiler:
that Humungus/Iron Man wannabe who was using the turret gun in the final fire fight? The camera shows him in close up before he dices up the hardware store, but then he just seems to disappear.
It was the
Spoiler:
3rd Will Smith, was it not?
Old 10-11-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was the
Spoiler:
3rd Will Smith, was it not?
No, don't believe so. I asked my buddy the same question and we agreed that
Spoiler:
he was too jacked to be the teeny-bopping Will Smith. And Humungus's helmet was different--it had a faceplate like the prototype Iron Man suit so you could see his bloodshot eyes.
Old 10-11-19, 01:44 PM

I'm pretty positive it was. Why else would they have focused on him?
Old 10-11-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Regal's website actually lists the 4DX showings as 2D, though that may be likely due to the technical limitations of the equipment as not everything can show high frame rate. That's likely why IMAX is only showing 2D also. They still ought to reduce the name 4DX by at least one D though. Another place is showing it with D-Box and high frame rate 3D so will see it there, probably during the week after it's already been declared a hit or a bomb.
Old 10-11-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm pretty positive it was. Why else would they have focused on him?
Excellent question. That's why I was wondering.
Spoiler:
Here was this massive dude that looked like he stepped out of a Mad Max movie who should've been the final boss. Instead, this trim little guy comes out of nowhere to serve up the final ass-kicking for Clive Owen. Maybe it was meant to be the same character but he looked like Lord Humungus's twin when he was in the turret. Also, there were no eye slits on teen Will Smith's helmet.

This wouldn't be the first time a character just disappeared during the course of a movie after being featured...
Spoiler:
remember Barricade from Transformers?
Old 10-11-19, 02:23 PM

Well... we’ll agree to disagree I guess. Debating this shitty movie isn’t anything I want to do. I’ll forget it all by tomorrow.
Old 10-11-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^Fair enough. I'm hoping that the guy I saw shows up in a better movie.
Old 10-13-19, 12:37 AM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

That was all around horrible. Story. Acting, Directing. Effects...

My PS4 Pro renders people better than this movie.

This movie would’ve been better suited as an entirely 3D Animated venture.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 10-13-19 at 01:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (03-28-20)
Old 10-13-19, 11:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Saw this yesterday.
Dolby Cinema 3D 2K 120fps.

There ARE things I liked about it. Winstead was without a doubt the highlight of the film. As was the motorbike chase. Everyone else in this was just... bad. Even Clive Owen, and I think that dude is great.

The HFR was great in some shots but wasted overall. The problem is the terrible cinematography (sorry to whoever has that credit). FAR too many shots where everything is in focus, making it look like a b-roll reel for whatever location they’re in. Possibly worse were the shots where the characters are in focus in the foreground, and the background is extremely out of focus, creating that weird “actors in front of a green screen” look.

I really do think 120fps HFR could work... in more capable hands. The motorbike chase was a brief example, IMO (until the awkward fight, anyway). I think I said this in The Hobbit thread too, but the art of cinematography needs to adjust for HFR when used, the same way it has adjusted for digital.

Anyway, the film itself was kind of a bore. I wouldn’t recommend it for any reason beyond seeing it in 120fps if possible.

Oh and
Spoiler:
I’m pretty sure turret guy was Will Smith #3.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.