Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Art of Self-Defense (2019 - D: Stearns. Starring: Eisenberg, Nivola, Poots)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-22-19, 10:50 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7339248/

Synopsis:
Spoiler:
A man who is attacked at random on the street and enlists in a local dojo, led by a charismatic and mysterious Sensei, in an effort to learn how to defend himself.

Trailer:

I saw this at an advanced screening on the weekend, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Didn't see a thread, so I thought it was worth starting one.
Tonally, I'd say it's on par with something like Observe & Report, with with themes about masculinity that are more in line with Fight Club.

Probably best enjoyed with a like-minded audience.
Old 04-22-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Art of Self-Defense (2019 - D: Stearns. Starring: Eisenberg, Nivola, Poots)

So....it's a wannabe Wes Anderson take on The Karate Kid blended with Redbelt, but without the better dialogue. Yeah, looks like good Tuesday afternoon HBO fodder to me.
Old 04-22-19, 11:17 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The Art of Self-Defense (2019 - D: Stearns. Starring: Eisenberg, Nivola, Poots)

^ I thought it was better than the sum of its parts, but.. umm.. yeah, that's a pretty fair take. Or something.
Old 05-22-19, 11:58 AM

A dark comedy set in the world of karate. The film centers on Casey (Jesse Eisenberg), who is attacked at random on the street and enlists in a local dojo led by a charismatic and mysterious Sensei (Alessandro Nivola), in an effort to learn how to defend himself. What he uncovers is a sinister world of fraternity, violence and hypermasculinity and a woman (Imogen Poots) fighting for her place in it. Casey undertakes a journey, both frightening and darkly funny, that will place him squarely in the sights of his enigmatic new mentor.

In theaters this July.
Old 05-22-19, 12:30 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I think that trailer gives a bit too much of the plot/jokes away. That said, the more I think about this one, the more I want to re-watch it. Even if y'all end up seeing it at home instead of a cinema, don't let it fall under your radar. I think it's a gem.
Old 05-22-19, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They should've just called it McDojo. Can't help wonder if the writers are fans of Ameri-Do-Te/Enter the Dojo or even the Foot Fist Way