Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by d2cheer
You would think with all the money that this has made they could have at least finished the scene for this re-release.
They probably didn't have time. Someone likely came up with the idea for this re-release a day before they announced it a week and a half ago. They just pulled a deleted scene from the Blu-ray extras and slapped a quickly recorded intro on it.
Old 07-01-19, 01:02 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

WOW! What a gigantic piece of marketing horse shit! Shame on Disney/Marvel for pulling this BS stunt. Not doing any prior research and just going buy both my boys desire to "must see" the added footage/content/whatever the fuck you want to call it, against my better judgement I plunked down an extra $35 not including drinks and popcorn to watch footage that was relegated to barley Blu Ray extras. Including a bullshit teaser trailer reminding me to go watch (in my opinion) probably a very weak Spiderman movie coming out on July 2nd.

The 30 - or - so people in the theater left stunned, in an almost collective, unspoken "WTF did I just get taken for?" silence. I left with more than that, a further disdain for Disney/Marvel and their milkethismotherfuckinthingforeverylastdime. An outright further hatred for Stan Lee, for decades that piece of shit ripped-off Jack Kirby and countless other Marvel artists (financially). But history gets mis-remembered and the general public doesn't care. Marvel came correct in the early/mid-90's with a decent sized payment to Kirby's widow but only after the insistence and pressure from of a very unlikely band of artists led by ex-Marvel and DC artists Rob Liefeld, Jim Valentino, Erik Larsen and the rest of the Image Comics owners. But I could go on ad nauseam about how both Marvel and DC exploited and underpaid artists over the years, I'll save that for another day.

It's clear to me that this tribute/homage was actually intended for the original release of End Game but a creative/time decision was made to cut the Stan Lee tribute. With it added here after putting the audience through such a heartfelt, emotional rollercoaster ending it really didn't pack the same emotional punch as I think Marvel had intended, hence it's removal.

And then the deleted Hulk scene that was so dear to the directors hearts? In a very weird "Die Hard isn't a time traveling movie" call-back, we see Reginald VelJohnson (cop from Die Hard) playing some sort of fire captain/officer talking into a CB radio while a building is exploding/on fire as the Hulk rescues a handful of people using a satellite dish as a basket. This scene received absolutely no audience reaction whatsoever.

Disney and Marvel can eat a bag of dicks, fool me once.... fuck you 3000 Disney.
Old 07-01-19, 01:07 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

That rant is ridiculous. But you gave me a good laugh with this
Originally Posted by hal9000
fuck you 3000 Disney.
Thanks.
Old 07-01-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Old 07-01-19, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

...probably a very weak Spiderman movie coming out on July 2nd.
Early word of mouth for the new Spier-Man has been very good, with an early RT rating of over 90%.

Old 07-01-19, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Well, Disney managed to run another beloved franchise (I won't mention by name) into the ground and tore apart the fanbase in just two years, so we should consider ourselves lucky it took them this long to eat up the good will the MCU has amassed.
Old 07-01-19, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

An outright further hatred for Stan Lee, for decades that piece of shit ripped-off Jack Kirby and countless other Marvel artists (financially). But history gets mis-remembered and the general public doesn't care...
Alamo Drafthouse played this brief tribute to Jack Kirby before my screening of Endgame, months back when I want to see it opening weekend:

The re-release of Endgame did push up its domestic box-office, more than doubling the box-office of the weekend before.

https://www.the-numbers.com/news/239...ith-58-million
Avengers: Endgame was re-released, and will earn seventh place with $5.54 million for a total of $841.32 million after ten weeks of release. Internationally, it didn’t get a real push, and will earn an estimated $2.3 million in 40 markets for totals of $1.920 billion and a worldwide total of $2.761 billion. The film is now just $15 million behind Avatar for top spot on the all-time worldwide chart. It should get there, especially if it gets a boost from Spider-Man: Far From Home’s debut next weekend.
Old 07-01-19, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Well, Disney managed to run another beloved franchise (I won't mention by name) into the ground and tore apart the fanbase in just two years, so we should consider ourselves lucky it took them this long to eat up the good will the MCU has amassed.
Agreed. Tron fans just haven’t been the same since ...
Old 07-01-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
This article describes the new content:
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/28/aven...ted-scene.html

Spoiler:
A tribute to Stan Lee

When the credits finally roll, the first new clip fans are treated to is a short tribute to the late Stan Lee. Lee was the iconic writer and producer behind many of Marvel’s most popular characters. He has been a staple in Marvel films since the beginning, showing up in small cameo roles in nearly every feature from “Iron Man” onward. “Not only did I not think I would be doing a cameo in such a big movie, I hadn’t dreamt there’d be such a big movie,” Lee says in a voiceover. “In those days, I was writing those books, I was hoping they’d sell so I wouldn’t lose my job and that I could keep paying the rent.” The tribute shows behind-the-scenes clips of Lee filming several of his cameos as well as comments from several directors of Marvel films including Jon Favreau ( “Iron Man”) and James Gunn (“Guardians of the Galaxy”). “I’ve remembered every cameo I’ve done since the first one,” Lee says in footage shot before his death in November. He was 95. “I think I’m a very lucky guy.”

What has the Hulk been up to?

Next up is a deleted scene from “Endgame.” The film already clocked in at over three hours, so the production team had to trim a few clips to make the run time lower. “Thanks for sticking around,” co-director Anthony Russo says in a short clip before the deleted scene. “As you may have noticed we packed a lot into this movie. There are a lot of characters, a lot of action, a lot of emotion, and I think a lot of fun. But believe it or not we shot some scenes that we needed to cut out; I know, the movie could have been even longer.” The scene is unfinished and short. It depicts the Hulk saving several people from a building fire using a satellite dish to carry them to safety. He then receives a phone call, which he picks up on what appears to be an iPad.“Steve who?” Bruce Banner asks, now transformed into what has been called “Professor Hulk,” a melding of Banner and Hulk into an intelligent and massively strong being. The Hulk is not fully rendered in this scene. His mouth doesn’t even move when he speaks his lines. But it shows that he was still out in the world helping innocent people in times of trouble after “the snap.” It is suggested that this is the phone call that leads to Banner meeting up with Captain America (Steve Rogers), Black Widow (Natasha Rominoff) and Ant-Man (Scott Lang) at a diner during the first part of “Endgame.”

Here comes Spider-Man

To promote the upcoming “Spider-Man: Far From Home,” Marvel has also inserted a short clip from the film during the post-credits. It is the opening scene to the second standalone Spider-Man flick in this Marvel Cinematic Universe. It shows Nick Fury and Maria Hill arriving at a Mexican village that has been destroyed by some natural disaster. Or so it seems. As the two S.H.I.E.L.D. agents walk through the rubble, they are greeted by Mysterio and a giant rock monster. “You don’t want any part of this,” he says as he attacks the monster with his powers, green energy flying from his hands

Thank you for saving me three hours. Since I have been avoiding all things Spider-Man (I think the first trailer gave away too much already), a double-thank you is in order. I didn’t read past the first line of what you wrote about SM, but just knowing it is a lifted scene and not an actual post-credit scene is enough.
Old 07-01-19, 07:20 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That rant is ridiculous. But you gave me a good laugh with this

Thanks.
Heh! Sorry about that rant, typos and all ... I was a little heated, and I was hoping I'd be less pissed by now (I'm not) so I still stand by what I wrote, save for my Spider-Man Homecoming prediction. Again, that's my take from what I've seen from the trailers so far, kinda lackluster imo. I hope that I'm wrong because I really liked the first outing.
Old 07-01-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

“Fuck You 3000” is now my go-to insult for people.
Old 07-01-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

Agreed. Tron fans just haven’t been the same since ...
Dont worry. He finally got over it.

Old 07-02-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

A funny comedy sketch called "Captain America's Life After Endgame"

Old 07-02-19, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

The film is now just $15 million behind Avatar
Someone's math is off...
Old 07-02-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Someone's math is off...
Well, according to that site's worldwide BO chart, Avatar is at $2,776 million, and Endgame at $2,761 million.
https://www.the-numbers.com/box-offi...ative/all-time

Box Office Mojo has about the same for Endgame, $2,764 million, but lists Avatar at $2,788 million.
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
Old 07-02-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think that’s a bit on the extreme way of looking at it. I agree the re-release probably wasn’t worth it and a cash grab, but the film is still worthwhile and Disney has done more than good with the MCU to date. I also don’t feel like people were cheated out of anything. If you read Feige’s comments they delivered what they said they would. It was never touted as an extended cut or whatever other than by some articles that made it seem that way.
Old 07-14-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like it got a small bump overseas. Now 7.2M away from Avatar.
Old 07-14-19, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

I say re-release it again. This time with free BJs from Feige with every ticket purchased. We’ll see how much they really want to beat Avatar.
Old 07-14-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Considering they somehow pushed Black Panther over the edge...they will make it here as well. US is good for another 3+ million.
Old 07-14-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I noticed BoxOfficeMojo only has films tracked internationally through July 7th. So it's going to be very close in another week or so.
Old 07-16-19, 02:01 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have gone to see it again for sure if I had the time and not because of beating the record or added footage etc but because I liked the movie and want to see it again.

The other issue is in about a month I can watch it all I want at home, so kind of a waste now.
Old 07-16-19, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

6.5M to go after Monday.
Old 07-17-19, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
6.5M to go after Monday.
I don't know why they're bothering. The MCU as a whole has already embarrassed every franchise in existence, both in terms of financial success and, more importantly, consistent quality. Besides, it's been so long since Avatar came out you know we'll get a rerelease right before the sequels actually arrive.

Old 07-17-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jason
I don't know why they're bothering. The MCU as a whole has already embarrassed every franchise in existence, both in terms of financial success and, more importantly, consistent quality.
It's just bragging rights. It's not like Disney/Marvel is putting too much effort into it aside from that one week re-widening. And who knows, maybe Avatar 2-5 will crush it.

Originally Posted by Jason
Besides, it's been so long since Avatar came out you know we'll get a rerelease right before the sequels actually arrive.
Re-releases are almost completely dead. Home video has taken over the market for older videos so much that the majority of people aren't going to go see a re-release, delegating them to special limited things like the MCU marathon or one-day Fantom events.
Old 07-17-19, 06:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I say re-release it again. This time with free BJs from Feige with every ticket purchased. We’ll see how much they really want to beat Avatar.
You do know there are mostly males on this site, right?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.