Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-19, 02:00 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Yep. For me a minor character is anybody who has not had their own stand-alone movie.
Well, that will change next year.
Old 05-03-19, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dex14
Well, that will change next year.
And if I see her in her own movie I'll be able to pick her out in a crowd
Old 05-03-19, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I kinda wish all superhero movies would take like a 10 year break, and allow some originality and freshness to summer movies again. Not a huge fan of any of them really, but the thirst for essentially the same movie over and over and over seems unquenchable.
Old 05-03-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I kinda wish all superhero movies would take like a 10 year break, and allow some originality and freshness to summer movies again. Not a huge fan of any of them really, but the thirst for essentially the same movie over and over and over seems unquenchable.
Just stop watching them.
Old 05-03-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Saying you don't like the genre and wish it would go away in a reviews thread is the definition of a thread crap. What did you think you were adding by typing this?

Last edited by DJariya; 05-03-19 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I enjoy them.

They do suck up capital. But it pays back. Like it’s own ecosystem.

I honestly dont don’t know what I’m looking forward to this summer. And I do miss original tent pole movies that we used to get five or so of each year.
Old 05-03-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Second viewing ... IMAX 3D. I think I may be done with 3D, at least here in Springfield anyway. Even the IMAX presentation was unbelievably dark.

Knowing what to expect this time, I will go ahead and bump it up to the 3.5 mark. I still have the same issues, but was able to say “to heck with it” and enjoy it a little more. It still bugs me that the time travel aspects seem so sloppy and there was so much deus ex machina through the whole film. Plenty of things that could have been handled better. With the care that has been placed into this franchise, I expected a little more diligence from the tentpole film.

I suppose, like many past instances in the MCU, that time (and more MCU films) will fill in some of the blanks and things that we are questioning now may make sense some day.

Odd observation I haven’t seen brought up: after The Snappening, who the hell recovered the XCon van (and Quantum World portal making equipment) and then stuck them in storage? Who has been paying the bill? The sign in the storage space says “Lang” ... but Cassie was too young at the time.

Going to Google this, but I’ll ask first ... there are a number of time travel theories that are mentioned in the film. What are they? The only one I can recall is the Deutsch (Doitsh?) Principle.

Old 05-03-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Saw it for the second time and loved it all over again. Couple things I noticed that I didn’t see before:

I’m pretty sure Paul Rudd miniaturizes right when the missiles hit the compound. It’s super quick but I think it happens. He’s small when next we see him too.

There was talk about the stones being too powerful for humans to hold. Clint holds the Soul Stone without issue and the Time Stone seems grabable too. It’s the barehanded holding of the Power Stone in Guardians that was so destructive. So I’m okay with others wearing the Gauntlet as that seems to harness their power in a controllable way. And I have zero issues with Stark able to make an Iron Man version of the gauntlet. His tech is pretty much magic anyway.

i think the time travel holds up better than I remembered - when they were talking about going back and killing Baby Thanos they said it doesn’t work like that, you can’t change the future. Which they didn’t try to do - they didn’t revert the world back, they just restored everyone who died. That’s why Cap can go back in time and stay there without everyone losing the memory of Captain America. His presence in the past cannot change their past with him. He left the timeline when he left and physically travelled back to the launch site in his own future. All without changing anyone’s memories about what happened. It’s shaky but it holds up well enough for me.

And Natasha got a better sendoff then I remembered - there are three separate scenes about her death and how everyone is dealing with it. She didn’t get the visible funeral but she wasn’t forgotten.

And it was fun to see Howard the Duck

Old 05-03-19, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One thing I did notice on my rewatch ... when Tony grapples with Thanos for the stones, you can hear a mechanical whirring as the nanobots grab the stones. Nice little touch, but I still hate the whole nanotech thing.

So, a quick Google of the Deutsch Principle reveals that it is what Draven is referring to. In short, you don’t travel back in your own timeline ... you actually travel back to alternate (parallel) timelines and screw with them. Therefore, nothing changes in your own timeline. Seems a bit asshole-ish to me.

Old 05-03-19, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

We're getting a Tarantino movie this year, so this is already a great year in film.
Old 05-04-19, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Hulk's fine, but I don't care about him. He's cool to look at I suppose, but as a character he is uninteresting. Banner is smart; Hulk smashes shit. Great.
I think you are way wrong about Hulk/Banner character being uninteresting. The character is uninteresting in the movies because he is so boringly played by Mark Ruffalo (I have always hated his portrayal of Banner since day one) and Hulk has been written mostly as a half-assed character that is only used when the plot needs him to destroy something or for a brief moment of levity.

If you go back and read the comics (at least a lot of the 80's ones that I read as a kid), I always found the Hulk and the internal struggle that Banner had to deal with fascinating. Hell, the cheaply made, every week formula 70's TV show had a better realized Hulk/Banner than any of the recent Marvel movies which is a shame. But again, it is because of the crummy Mark Ruffalo and poor writing.

Saw this today and here are some of my thoughts which won't really differ much from what I have read in the 17 pages here...Loved the movie. Loved, loved, loved it. Hell, as soon as it was over I could have just sat my happy ass in the exact same spot and watched it over. My 15 year old son and I saw it at the local LieMAX in 3D. Skip the 3D as it was mostly worthless.

I am exceptionally critical of movies but I had trouble really finding faults with this one other than just a lot of the nit-picks that have already been mentioned many times. This movie is truly a feat of modern film-making. It really has everything. Drama, gut-wrenching emotions, excellent action, a diverse cast that can actually act (fuck Mark Ruffalo though...), and scenes that make you want to cry or jump up and shout! And all this from a comic book movie! The 10 year old in me just wanted to scream with happiness and I am glad I lived to see stuff like this realized on the screen. I am not a fanboy or love every Marvel movie but what they have accomplished over their 22 film arc in 10 years is nothing short of amazing. It makes me sad that we are missing the same thing on the other side with the DC characters.

Loved everything with Captain America. His films have been the best written and Chris Evans just owns the part 100%. The love story between him and Peggy is just so wonderful and emotional that it truly made me choke up in all of his movies when it deals with them. Robert Downey Jr. was fantastic and did some of his best work in this movie. All the others were exceptional as well.

I didn't like Brainy Hulk. Found him strange looking and annoying. Give me "Hulk Smash" any day over Ruffalo's weird face on the Hulk's body talking in a normal voice. It was just strange and not funny (like they were going for) or interesting (it was plainly dull). And to not have Hulk go apeshit on Thanos at all was a little disappointing. That being said, the final battle scene was fantastic. Somehow Marvel was able to make a still suspenseful battle even though you know the Avengers are going to win somehow.

Sorry...not a lady hater at all but the lady ensemble part stuck out like a sore thumb. It didn't bug me but it just seemed a little too..."HEY...LOOK AT THIS!. We have a bunch of women in the battle TOO!"

I liked fat Thor and think that his future adventures with GOTG should be a lot of fun! I am not looking forward to Falcon becoming the new Cap. I am just not a huge fan of the guy who plays Falcon and I think the actor who plays Bucky is far more interesting and could bring more to the role. The guy who plays Falcon just comes across as very vanillla and dull. Always has. He is fine for a back-up character but he doesn't seem to carry the same weight as the actors who portray IM, CA, Thor, or BP.

And I may be the only person but I long to use the time stone and go back and somehow fix whatever happened between Terrance Howard and the filmmakers and put him back in the Rhodey role. He would have done so much better than Don Cheadle has over all those other movies. Makes me sad.

Anyway...the Peter Parker/Tony Stark connection was freaking gold and heartbreaking. Just so well acted by both actors! I didn't mind Pepper in the Iron Woman armor and I felt that Captain Marvel was much ado about nothing. Her movie was mediocre and I still believe it made all that money just by lucky time placement and good PR. Where the fuck was Fury during the final battle? Why wasn't he shown directing some ships or something? He was missed.

The fight between Cap and himself was awesome. The callbacks to so much of the other movies was fantastic and enjoyable. You could complain that this movie doesn't stand on its own, and you would be correct....but why watch this movie without watching anything that came before it? As others have stated, Peter returning to high school and seeing his friend was strange, especially knowing his movie is coming up. Hopefully that stuff is explained.

Thor and his mother's scene together was fantastic and another heart-breaker. I thought the BW/HE fight to be the one to die went on a little too long. And I thought that IW established that to get the soul stone, you had to sacrifice the thing you loved most in the world. Was BW really the thing HE loved most in the world since his family died? I guess so but I just didn't 100% buy it.

And probably one of the few times that I can remember...the scene where Cap takes Thor's hammer...the theater went nuts. This was a 3/4 full theater at 4pm. I wasn't expecting it but people hollered, whooped, cheered, clapped, screamed and gasped at that scene. It was awesome! I haven't seen any reaction like that in the middle of a movie. It was extremely cool!

The music score was passable. It didn't really stand out but swelled when it needed to. The scene at the end with Cap and Peggy dancing was fantastic. Though it should have ended with that scene and left out old Cap having the conversation with Falcon. One more thumbs up for the final battle scene. Gooddamn...so exciting to see since when I grew up watching comic book movies and TV shows were mostly shit. Superman I & II was about as good as it got. And those were extremely rare. Fuck Tim Burton's Batman. That movie is overrated shit and deserves to be forgotten.

Even with my few minor quibbles, this is a 5 star movie. Loved it and plan to see it again at an AMC Prime without the 3D but with more ear-bleeding sound and moving chairs.
Old 05-04-19, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

Odd observation I haven’t seen brought up: after The Snappening, who the hell recovered the XCon van (and Quantum World portal making equipment) and then stuck them in storage? Who has been paying the bill? The sign in the storage space says “Lang” ... but Cassie was too young at the time.
If you want to get in the weeds, who was paying for Hawkeye's wife's cell phone bill?

Originally Posted by Draven

i think the time travel holds up better than I remembered - when they were talking about going back and killing Baby Thanos they said it doesn’t work like that, you can’t change the future. Which they didn’t try to do - they didn’t revert the world back, they just restored everyone who died. That’s why Cap can go back in time and stay there without everyone losing the memory of Captain America. His presence in the past cannot change their past with him. He left the timeline when he left and physically travelled back to the launch site in his own future. All without changing anyone’s memories about what happened. It’s shaky but it holds up well enough for me.
I don't think that's how it works. Captain America traveled back into the past and stayed there. That forked off an alternate timeline where he grows old with Peggy Carter. He doesn't stay in "our" timeline/reality. Somehow he traveled back to our reality for the handoff of the shield, though. This isn't explained in the movie but it is in an interview earlier in the thread (because otherwise it makes no sense that Captain America could change the past and still wind up in the same reality)

So really, them going back and getting the stones basically forked off a bunch of new timelines. Even if they put things exactly back in place right after they got the stones, there is enough of a minor shift that it should fork a different reality. But they actually kind of screwed up and created four new very different timelines anyway.

The first is the one that Nebula/War Machine/Hawkeye/Widow went to. That one is majorly screwed up, because the Thanos of that timeline went into our reality and got dusted, so there's no Thanos there anymore. Presumably the soul stone got put back so someone else can sacrifice for it, and the one Starlord got was returned so Starlord could steal it. But no Thanos or his minions.

The second is the one that Cap/Iron Man/Ant Man/Hulk went to. They allowed Loki to get away with the Tessaract. Plus they allowed Ancient One a glimpse into the future.

The third is the one that Thor/Rocket went to. They talked to Frigga and took the hammer. They returned the hammer, but talking to Frigga could have altered something. That's probably the most minor one.

The fourth is where Iron Man and Cap jumped back a second time to re-get the Tesseract. Presumably that's the one Captain America went back and stayed in.

All of those are distinct from the main one where everyone was dusted by Thanos. You can't change the future because you just create a new future every time. This is actually similar to how things work in some other media, like Dragon Ball, for instance.

Old 05-04-19, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 956 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
The music score was passable. It didn't really stand out but swelled when it needed to. The scene at the end with Cap and Peggy dancing was fantastic. Though it should have ended with that scene and left out old Cap having the conversation with Falcon. One more thumbs up for the final battle scene. Gooddamn...so exciting to see since when I grew up watching comic book movies and TV shows were mostly shit. Superman I & II was about as good as it got. And those were extremely rare. Fuck Tim Burton's Batman. That movie is overrated shit and deserves to be forgotten.
Actually I was just coming to post that I've been listening to the soundtrack for the past few days and it is really the best soundtrack in the MCU. Alan Silvestri did a great job on this. Most of the MCU, aside from the 20 second Avengers theme song, and Captain America's theme is pretty forgettable. I think he did a great job really evoking the emotion out of the scene. From the sombre mood in the first hour to the triumphant return of the hero's using the portals. To the sublime and simplistic call back to the aforementioned Captain America's theme. The score was just much better than the usually forgettable MCU fair.

Originally Posted by fujishig
If you want to get in the weeds, who was paying for Hawkeye's wife's cell phone bill?
Damn you and your logic Now I'm going to think about that every single time for that scene. And how he must have kept her phone on the charger too. I guess it could have been a landline.
Old 05-04-19, 09:14 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else. But I was talking with a friend about the 5 year gap, and it all the sudden dawned on me - "what happened to Ghost?"

She could have been snapped away, but if she wasn't, then she was presumably without the quantum materials she needed to survive, for 5 years. Which means she'd be dead.... Right?

Although, not sure how terminal her condition was after being "recharged" by Janet.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 05-04-19 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-04-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One other thought...I agree the rat bringing Ant-Man back by walking over a button was too convenient. I would have rather seen some thieves breaking into the car to steal the electronics, kids or the tow yard owner doing it by accident. but again...a minor nit-pick.
Old 05-04-19, 09:40 AM

One other thought...I agree the rat bringing Ant-Man back by walking over a button was too convenient. I would have rather seen some thieves breaking into the car to steal the electronics, kids or the tow yard owner doing it by accident. but again...a minor nit-pick.

Or - there were tons of aerial shots showing stuff just left places. Why would anyone have cared to move a van on the roof of a garage? A pigeon landing on the equipment could have even made more sense.
Old 05-04-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Or - there were tons of aerial shots showing stuff just left places. Why would anyone have cared to move a van on the roof of a garage? A pigeon landing on the equipment could have even made more sense.
I must have missed something then because I thought the car was impounded. It was all locked up to where AM had to ask for help out. It wasn't left that way when the others were snapped.

And you are telling me that an abandoned van filled with electronics you can see thru the windows wouldn't have been fucked with for 5 years? In a major city? I know the circumstances but really?
Old 05-04-19, 03:26 PM

I must have missed something then because I thought the car was impounded. It was all locked up to where AM had to ask for help out. It wasn't left that way when the others were snapped.

And you are telling me that an abandoned van filled with electronics you can see thru the windows wouldn't have been fucked with for 5 years? In a major city? I know the circumstances but really?
No, you are correct. It was impounded/in storage.

My statement was just an alternative - why was it even impounded in the first place, when other shots clearly shows abandoned vehicles everywhere?
Old 05-04-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not impounded (that would have made more sense). It was in a U-Store It (or something like that) rental space with a sign on it that said “Lang”. So somebody packed it all up, put it there deliberately, and paid the bill each month. To me, it would have made sense IF you had Cassie in there messing around (looking for something) and she triggered his return.

Maybe one of The Avengers time traveled back and took care of those accommodations. And Hawkeye’s wife’s cell phone bill.

Old 05-04-19, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I posted this in the Marvel Disney TV thread, but after I saw it for a second time today it occurred to me that I want to see what Rocket and Nebula were up to in those five years. It's such an odd pairing.
Old 05-04-19, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, and I agree with so much of what Spiderbite said, especially about Mark Ruffalo. While I have enjoyed some of the Hulk’s storyline, Ruffalo has never brought anything special to the role, as Hulk or Banner, IMO. Plus, he always looks like he is smiling (even more so when he is a CG character).
Old 05-04-19, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Extremely satisfying ending. Loved every minute of it.
Old 05-04-19, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,650 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Not impounded (that would have made more sense). It was in a U-Store It (or something like that) rental space with a sign on it that said “Lang”. So somebody packed it all up, put it there deliberately, and paid the bill each month.
I just figured it was one of the X-Con guys.
Old 05-04-19, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 956 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Not sure if this was mentioned anywhere else. But I was talking with a friend about the 5 year gap, and it all the sudden dawned on me - "what happened to Ghost?"

She could have been snapped away, but if she wasn't, then she was presumably without the quantum materials she needed to survive, for 5 years. Which means she'd be dead.... Right?

Although, not sure how terminal her condition was after being "recharged" by Janet.
Oh yeah that's a good question. I guess she could have been snapped away.
Old 05-05-19, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

I love them. They're well crafted, usually well cast, and they treat the source material with respect. Something that's been sorely lacking in a lot of past outings. Do you think the people who cast George Clooney as Batman had any respect for the character? Are they formulaic? Sure. But what movie isn't?

If you don't like them, don't watch them. From my experience with Fast and Furious, Harry Potter, and Twilight, this strategy is pretty much foolproof.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.