Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 05-03-19, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by JTH182
I fully expected Hulk to bust out of the Hulkbuster armor at some point in one of the last two movies. Sucks that didn't happen, would have been a cool moment.
Just watched a youtube video talking about how the Hulk's arc has been a bit disappointing, and we never really got the payoff for Hulk getting washed by Thanos and being too scared to come out. The video pointed out how the gauntlet letting off gamma radiation would be the perfect excuse to have the rampaging Hulk return once Professor Hulk was trapped under the rubble with Rocket and Rhodey about to drown...and I can't stop thinking about it. This takes a cool moment away from Ant-Man, but I'm cool with that. There are lots of little fan ideas floating around now, because it's easy to armchair QB this stuff when it already exists, but this idea I really love. My biggest complaint about the final battle was we didn't get to see Hulk let loose at all in that playground, and for as much as I loved everything else this will be something I wish I got to see.
Old 05-03-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 173 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Thanks for the responses on tech. I forgot that Wakanda's tech is off the charts, and Shuri is clearly at the top of her game there. I know next to nothing about Reed Richards, so if that's another option, I look forward to what he can bring.
Old 05-03-19, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 227 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm still processing this movie. So much.

Couple of questions:

Who was the one who sacrificed herself for the soul stone, and how does she differ from the one eating the peanut sandwich at the beginning who I'm sure I saw at the end and from the red wielding woman?

I'm guessing that's the same one who Hawkeye was referring to at the end when he said he wished he could tell her? Don't remember who he was talking to at the end but they say back to him "I miss them too" who is the "them" if just she sacrificed herself? Her and Tony?
Old 05-03-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I hope this doesn't sound misogynistic in any way, because it's truly not meant to be, but honestly, I didn't see the point in that "girl power" scene during the battle, where all the female characters specifically came forward to gang up on Thanos. It took me right out of the story, and just seemed unnecessary.

Besides that, I absolutely loved the movie, and thought it was the perfect culmination to the Avengers/Infinity Stones story.
I loved that scene
Old 05-03-19, 10:24 AM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
I'm still processing this movie. So much.

Couple of questions:

Who was the one who sacrificed herself for the soul stone, and how does she differ from the one eating the peanut sandwich at the beginning who I'm sure I saw at the end and from the red wielding woman?

I'm guessing that's the same one who Hawkeye was referring to at the end when he said he wished he could tell her? Don't remember who he was talking to at the end but they say back to him "I miss them too" who is the "them" if just she sacrificed herself? Her and Tony?
Black Widow (Natasha) / Scarlett Johansson died for the soul stone and was eating PBJ. I'm assuming you're referring to Scarlett Witch (Wanda) / Elizabeth Olsen at the end? Hawkeye was talking to Scarlet Witch about Black Widow. I don't remember the exact exchange, but Scarlet Witch was discussing Vision.
Old 05-03-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks! I get lost in the "minor" characters (and really just the two of them). I thought I saw BW at the end when they were battling, there was a woman who wasn't CM/SW or any other of the woman superheroes I recognize in the battle (i.e. the Wasp is easy to recognize also Potts in armor etc.).
Old 05-03-19, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,867 Likes on 1,444 Posts

Thanks! I get lost in the "minor" characters (and really just the two of them). I thought I saw BW at the end when they were battling, there was a woman who wasn't CM/SW or any other of the woman superheroes I recognize in the battle (i.e. the Wasp is easy to recognize also Potts in armor etc.).
I think that scene had:
Scarlet Witch, Valkyrie, Okoye, Mantis, Shuri, Hope/Wasp, Gamora, Nebula, and Pepper Potts.

Maybe you confused her with Gamora? Though Gamora has green skin...
Old 05-03-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think that scene had:
Scarlet Witch, Valkyrie, Okoye, Mantis, Shuri, Hope/Wasp, Gamora, Nebula, and Pepper Potts.

Maybe you confused her with Gamora? Though Gamora has green skin...
no I know who Gamora is not THAT scene, towards the beginning of the battle.
Old 05-03-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My mother got Scarlett Witch and Black Widow mixed up.
Old 05-03-19, 11:36 AM

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Wait, the major women characters are minor characters? Tough to remember who they are? So... the takeaway here is that GatorDeb is a misogynist, right? Is that what we're all getting out of that?

Love ya, Deb.

Last edited by story; 05-03-19 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
I don't think there's a satisfactory explanation to it. They really just needed it for the plot. So Nat and Clint can have a moment in the quinnjet by themselves and that way they end up alone. Otherwise the whole thing with the sacrifice would be weird if it was the four of them.
Along these same lines, it really makes no sense for Clint and Nat to be alone on a mission in space. They're capable earth-bound heroes, sure, but considering you never know what is going to pop off Nat and Clint would almost certainly be outclassed by any space complication they might have ran into. So yeah, this was definitely one of those "the plot demanded it" moments which I was fine with.
Old 05-03-19, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I didn't mind the "Girl Power" scene, the only problems i had with are that:

1. It felt shoe horned it, even more than usual. In the first Avengers we got the rotating group shot and it felt earned. In Age of Ultron we had the side on attack shot of the team from the beginning which felt completely shoe horned in and even made me groan when i saw it on first viewing. This one felt a little more earned, especially in regards to the current social climate we live in, but it leads me to my second point....

2. There was no real need for it. One big mistake i have had with the MCU since the introduction of the Captain Marvel character is that they seem to have overpowered her. In the comics the character is strong, but Thanos alone can easily deal with her, along with probably the Avengers at once. The movie version seems to bordering on a Superman level of power, and thats not good. The reason Superman has become dull is the fact the character never seems to be in any real danger. I felt the same about CM in both her own movie and this. So when they give the line saying how the group of women will make sure CM makes it through i just thought it was stupid. Movie CM doesn't need any help and could handle it easily. Its just not consistent.

But what the hell. If families with little girls see this and it empowers them and provides characters that inspire and provide role models then i am all for it. Room enough in the sandbox for male and female characters to get equal footing.
Old 05-03-19, 11:46 AM

Received 1,790 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a

1. It felt shoe horned it, even more than usual. In the first Avengers we got the rotating group shot and it felt earned. In Age of Ultron we had the side on attack shot of the team from the beginning which felt completely shoe horned in and even made me groan when i saw it on first viewing. This one felt a little more earned, especially in regards to the current social climate we live in, but it leads me to my second point....

2. There was no real need for it. One big mistake i have had with the MCU since the introduction of the Captain Marvel character is that they seem to have overpowered her. In the comics the character is strong, but Thanos alone can easily deal with her, along with probably the Avengers at once. The movie version seems to bordering on a Superman level of power, and thats not good. The reason Superman has become dull is the fact the character never seems to be in any real danger. I felt the same about CM in both her own movie and this. So when they give the line saying how the group of women will make sure CM makes it through i just thought it was stupid. Movie CM doesn't need any help and could handle it easily. Its just not consistent.

But what the hell. If families with little girls see this and it empowers them and provides characters that inspire and provide role models then i am all for it. Room enough in the sandbox for male and female characters to get equal footing.
To your first point, I like my idea of how to do it much, much better:
Originally Posted by story
As for the "girl power" moment, I liked it and think it could've been executed in a more organic way. I think it would've been cool if not all but several of the women were there and ran to cover Captain Marvel. Then, from around the battlefield, the other women on the battlefield see what's happening and rush to join in, making the group bigger and bigger. Eventually, they all meet up and are an unstoppable wall of girl power. Truly, there are tons of great women superheroes in these movies and seeing them all together was really great. But even in a movie about space wizard necklaces, it's weird they all happened to be right there. Still, I liked the moment, my kids will like the moment, and I'm sure my wife will tell me she loved it when she gets back from seeing it tonight.
To your second point, it's answered by your third. This moment will matter to my girls and that matters to me.
Old 05-03-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by james2025a

Like I said before, it took me out of the movie a little because in the back of my head I knew people would complain about it. On the surface, taking social concerns aside, it didn't make a ton of sense for all of these women to come together at that point in the battle, but I don't think it needs to be nitpicked to death either.

As far as CM being overpowered and not needing help... well, one, she could still be knocked out of the air by one of the bigger bads, even if she could handle them on her own if she wasn't transporting the gauntlet, so I think the help made some sense. Like if you had a decent JL movie where the rest of the league had to run interference for Superman, I'd be fine with that too. As far as her power level, seems like they're making her out to be more on a cosmic level so I think that makes sense too... I doubt she's going to be stuck on Earth going after bank robbers, and they don't really have a cosmic level hero to explore the cosmos with... even the plot with her having to take care of the rest of the universe made sense.

Bottom line, it's a cool scene. As an aside, even though they laid the groundwork, I didn't love the fact that Rogers could wield Mjolnir like that, but that got probably the best reaction in my theater, so I'm not going to nitpick it either.
Old 05-03-19, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 149 Likes on 124 Posts

I know there are a lot of people bummed about the Thanos storyline being over. This is to help curb any cravings for more Thanos...

https://screencrush.com/thanos-helic...super-stories/
Old 05-03-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by L Everett Scott
I know there are a lot of people bummed about the Thanos storyline being over. This is to help curb any cravings for more Thanos...

https://screencrush.com/thanos-helic...super-stories/
I always love the Thanos-coptor and him being put in handcuffs.

When they finally get around to doing a proper Darkseid on the DC side of things, we have to make sure to bring this up too:
https://www.cbr.com/i-love-ya-but-yo...id-got-mugged/
Old 05-03-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Captain Marvel feels super overpowered to me but only when she's on earth. I feel like her power levels will align better when she's going up against other cosmic characters. Similarly to how Dr Strange is overpowered, but it's less noticeable when he's fighting other wizards or in other dimensions. I assumed she was going to be a part of the new core of Avengers: The New Class (along with T'Challa, Strange, etc), but it seems like they're going to keep her separate like how they did with Guardians, and she'll pop in when shit is really dire. Kinda sucks as I want to see her interact with the earth bound heroes, but I just don't see how that would work. Maybe that's just a failure of imagination on my part.
Old 05-03-19, 12:22 PM

Received 4,474 Likes on 3,035 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Captain Marvel feels super overpowered to me but only when she's on earth. I feel like her power levels will align better when she's going up against other cosmic characters. Similarly to how Dr Strange is overpowered, but it's less noticeable when he's fighting other wizards or in other dimensions. I assumed she was going to be a part of the new core of Avengers: The New Class (along with T'Challa, Strange, etc), but it seems like they're going to keep her separate like how they did with Guardians, and she'll pop in when shit is really dire. Kinda sucks as I want to see her interact with the earth bound heroes, but I just don't see how that would work. Maybe that's just a failure of imagination on my part.
Feige has said she will "lead the entire MCU".

When we found out that Brie Larson might be interested in joining our world, we had a number of meetings. She was a huge fan of the character in the comics. One of the highlights of my career at Marvel was introducing her at Comic-Con and having her come out on stage and stand there with literally almost everybody else from our movies. There she was at the forefront, and it was a great foreshadowing – not just for how audiences are going to embrace Brie as this character, but also for how Captain Marvel is about to take the lead and be at the forefront of the entire Cinematic Universe.
Old 05-03-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

To your first point, I like my idea of how to do it much, much better:

As for the "girl power" moment, I liked it and think it could've been executed in a more organic way. I think it would've been cool if not all but several of the women were there and ran to cover Captain Marvel. Then, from around the battlefield, the other women on the battlefield see what's happening and rush to join in, making the group bigger and bigger. Eventually, they all meet up and are an unstoppable wall of girl power. Truly, there are tons of great women superheroes in these movies and seeing them all together was really great. But even in a movie about space wizard necklaces, it's weird they all happened to be right there. Still, I liked the moment, my kids will like the moment, and I'm sure my wife will tell me she loved it when she gets back from seeing it tonight.

Agree with your approach. Showing some sort of recognition and going to help, as opposed to all of them just happening to be right next to each other. I appreciate the scene, but it stuck out just based on how it was executed.
Old 05-03-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
Feige has said she will "lead the entire MCU".
See, I kinda remembered that, and I just don't see how. But again, lack of imagination by me. Because I'm thinking of how the MCU is, and not what it may turn into going forward. Like, for example, say the next big arc is a reworking of the Annihilation story, then it's pretty easy to see how Carol would be front and center for that Marvel cosmic bullshit. I just don't see how she works earthbound, which she isn't, so I should probably not spend too much time thinking about it.
Old 05-03-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,598 Likes on 999 Posts

CM is basically Superman in the MCU now, so it makes sense to have her as the "leader" going forward. I'm really looking forward to what they do next.
Old 05-03-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

She's also the Superman in a universe of heroes that is ever increasingly becoming more stacked, so there is that too. The did have Thor on the original lineup and balanced that well.
Old 05-03-19, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-03-19, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Are you saying that Black Widow is a "minor character?"
Old 05-03-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Are you saying that Black Widow is a "minor character?"
Yep. For me a minor character is anybody who has not had their own stand-alone movie.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.