Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Watched it for the second time today on my afternoon off. This time in IMAX 3D (was Dolby Cinema the first time -- Thanks AMC Stubs A-List). Agree with OB - the 3D is pretty useless in this film. Imax is nice though.
Caught a tribute to my favorite video game franchise that I missed the first time -- Tony Stark calls Rocket "Ratchet" while the racoon is fixing the time machine. Loved that.
Spotted Howard the Duck this time. Nanosecond appearance. Also spotted Winston Duke's M'Baku for about the same amount of screen-time.
Agree that Bucky knew the plan at the end. Can't believe I missed this the first time -- He says "I'll miss you" while Steve gets ready to travel, which doesn't really make sense if Steve is going to be gone for 5 seconds of Bucky's life.

Even seeing Chris Pratt's video and knowing that all those actors were in the same space during filming, it doesn't look like it when the battle is in full effect.

I know everyone was asking about the IM3 kid at Tony's funeral. Who were the two people behind him but in front of Nick Fury? I assume one was Maria Hill (though I didn't get a good look), who was the older man next to her?

Quick question : Did 2014 Gamora get vaporized by Tony Stark's snap (I assume not), and if not, why not? He had to wish away all of Thanos' people and she was still that, at least technically, right?
Old 05-02-19, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I didn't find Tony's death as impactful as I found Pepper's reaction to it. When Peter and Rhodey were there over a dying Tony I got what they were going for, but it didn't hit me, but Pepper's reaction? Oh boy.
I agree. Especially that bit about telling him it's okay for him to rest that they will be okay. Oh man, I think that's what every father of a young child would want to hear. Say what you want about Gwyneth Paltrow but she was really believable in that moment. And then I absolutely love the scenes with Happy and Morgan.

Old 05-02-19, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimaton
Spoiler:
Unfortunately for Phil, Son of Coul -- his second death was imminent as of the S5 finale of AoS. So he was likely dead by Stark's funeral. Possibly long dead if he wasn't one of the snapped.
Spoiler:
I kind of forgot about that but I thought he was coming back for the last season?
Old 05-02-19, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

I know everyone was asking about the IM3 kid at Tony's funeral. Who were the two people behind him but in front of Nick Fury? I assume one was Maria Hill (though I didn't get a good look), who was the older man next to her?
That was William Hurt aka General Ross.

Old 05-02-19, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I saw this last night. I really liked it overall. The first and third acts were great. the middle was so so.

Complaints:

It blows my mind that through almost 6 hours of movie between IW and EG they did absolutely NOTHING with Hulk. He didn't have a significant fight scene in IW and did have ANY fight scene in EG. The Incredible Hulk is arguably the most popular Marvel character of all time and he just sat on the bench for 2 movies. I wanted Hulk to be part of the main fight against Thanos with Cap, Thor and Iron Man. There absolutely NEEDED to be a showdown between Hulk and Thanos. They COMPLETELY fucked that up. Also whoever signed off on the BannerHulk thing needs to be fired. Let the Incredible Hulk be the Incredible Hulk.

My only other real complaint. The way they invented time travel was the most poorly written, half assed aspect of any MCU movie I've ever seen. Tony just walked into his office half baked and half buzzed, pressed a couple buttons and VOILA ......TIME TRAVEL the most significant human achievement in the history of planet Earth. It was beyond ridiculous. Luckily I was able to get past it, and even though there were some plotholes with the time travel aspect, I was able to suspend disbelief and fully engage in the rest of the movie.

Hell of an ending though.

4/5
HULK has never been nor will he ever be the "most popular Marvel character of all time." Everyone had expected Hulk would just do his typical hulk smash routine. So glad the Russo brothers gave middle fingers to everyone.

Old 05-02-19, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well, the complaint was that Infinity War was meaningless because we all knew the snap was going to be reversed. And of course it was, but there are still repurcussions to it besides the heroic sacrifices we all knew were coming.
But this is not the only movie with a sequel that reverses what happened in the prior film. Is Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan any less of a film because they brought Spock back in the next one? There's probably others like this as well (it would make a good thread!).
Old 05-02-19, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick question : Did 2014 Gamora get vaporized by Tony Stark's snap (I assume not), and if not, why not? He had to wish away all of Thanos' people and she was still that, at least technically, right?
My thought on how Gamora could have survived the final snap: When Hulk did his snap, he mentioned that he tried to bring back Black Widow. My guess is a snap is instantaneous to us, but somehow, the one using the stones gets a longer moment of clarity/insight/whatever to define the wish that is to be granted. So in Tony's case, he probably wished for all of Thanos' troops to be dusted. In a vision of what was to occur, he must have learned Gamora was among them, and remembered the where/who/why exchange, and allowed her to be spared.
Old 05-02-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
But this is not the only movie with a sequel that reverses what happened in the prior film. Is Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan any less of a film because they brought Spock back in the next one? There's probably others like this as well (it would make a good thread!).
My point was that this didn't just undo everything. There were five years of lasting effects on everyone's life (that wasn't dusted). I thought it was cool that they didn't reset everything, even though we all knew they were going to reset the deaths (I mean c'mon, most of the Guardians, Spider-man, and Black Panther? That wasn't going to last).
Old 05-02-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Lord Zarak
My thought on how Gamora could have survived the final snap: When Hulk did his snap, he mentioned that he tried to bring back Black Widow. My guess is a snap is instantaneous to us, but somehow, the one using the stones gets a longer moment of clarity/insight/whatever to define the wish that is to be granted. So in Tony's case, he probably wished for all of Thanos' troops to be dusted. In a vision of what was to occur, he must have learned Gamora was among them, and remembered the where/who/why exchange, and allowed her to be spared.
Even something as simple as "dust everyone who's fighting against us" would do.

But Gamora certainly survived, otherwise they wouldn't show her on Starlord's screen.
Old 05-02-19, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shoveler
The Russo Brothers have said that he didn't spend his time in "our" timeline, he was in an alternate timeline. So, again, he didn't mess with our history. Just some other schmuck earth's. Not our problem.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/30/ave...ptain-america/
That makes sense (though how did he come into our reality to say goodbye?). Also opens up the possibility of alternate reality adventures and even a son or daughter from an alternate timeline, if they ever want to do that.
Old 05-02-19, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

How/when did Gamora take off after the battle? I thought she was still kicking it with Nebula, no?
Old 05-02-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
How/when did Gamora take off after the battle? I thought she was still kicking it with Nebula, no?
I'm pretty sure they showed Nebula with the Guardians when Thor came on board and Starlord was looking at a Gamora profile with the words missing or something like that. If Nebula wasn't in that shot she was certainly with them at Stark's funeral sans Gamora. You could say she just took off when everyone else went back to wherever they came from, I mean there were a bunch of Ravager ships she could have easily stowed away on, or maybe she's still on Earth.
Old 05-02-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Oh, okay, so for all we know, Guardians 3 could very well start with Gamora on the ship with everyone else, right?
Old 05-02-19, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
I'm pretty sure they showed Nebula with the Guardians when Thor came on board and Starlord was looking at a Gamora profile with the words missing or something like that. If Nebula wasn't in that shot she was certainly with them at Stark's funeral sans Gamora. You could say she just took off when everyone else went back to wherever they came from, I mean there were a bunch of Ravager ships she could have easily stowed away on, or maybe she's still on Earth.
Originally Posted by slop101
Oh, okay, so for all we know, Guardians 3 could very well start with Gamora on the ship with everyone else, right?
Nebula was on the ship. The ship's computer was "Searching". No way they start with Gamora on the ship, but the search will likely be the plot going forward. The fact that you never see what happens to her after Stark's snap is frustrating.

I thought it was weird that for Cap's big mission to return everything to the proper timeline, they didn't have Hank Pym helping them out. Yes, Banner sorta worked stuff out himself when they had to, but now that time wasn't pressing why not have a Quantum Realm expert help during this massive undertaking?
Old 05-02-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Nebula was on the ship. The ship's computer was "Searching". No way they start with Gamora on the ship, but the search will likely be the plot going forward. The fact that you never see what happens to her after Stark's snap is frustrating.

I thought it was weird that for Cap's big mission to return everything to the proper timeline, they didn't have Hank Pym helping them out. Yes, Banner sorta worked stuff out himself when they had to, but now that time wasn't pressing why not have a Quantum Realm expert help during this massive undertaking?
Trying for the no prize here, but you could say maybe he did help behind the scenes? He certainly had to make extra pym particles for them.
Old 05-02-19, 11:18 AM

That whole end thing with Cap felt a little rushed and Yadda-Yadda'ed. "We need eight people to go to four different planets to get the 6 stones in very dangerous environments, but only 1 guy, by himself, with no spaceship and only one space travel experience, to go return all of them on a single trip, take all the time you need. Good luck"
Old 05-02-19, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

That whole end thing with Cap felt a little rushed and Yadda-Yadda'ed. "We need eight people to go to four different planets to get the 6 stones in very dangerous environments, but only 1 guy, by himself, with no spaceship and only one space travel experience, to go return all of them on a single trip, take all the time you need. Good luck"
If he had extra Pym Particles, he probably could go to all the places that he needed to without need of a spaceship.
Old 05-02-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Who is going to take over providing tech for people like Spiderman now that Tony is gone? I know there are some smart people in the groups, but Tony's inventions are incredibly sophisticated.
Old 05-02-19, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Who is going to take over providing tech for people like Spiderman now that Tony is gone? I know there are some smart people in the groups, but Tony's inventions are incredibly sophisticated.
Maybe that's how they get out of the overly teched out spider-suit that they set up for Spidey here, when it comes to his regular movies?

Also, wasn't War Machine like reverse engineered from Tony tech anyway? I don't remember if he's still sponsored by the government, but even in the comics, Rhodey's armor wasn't as sophisticated as Tony's. I'm not sure who else uses Tony's stuff (besides Pepper).

And there's a dude named Reed Richards who I hear may be available shortly. He can do cool things with costumes made of unstable molecules, I hear. Or maybe that kid from Iron Man 3 will turn out to do something, or even in the future Tony's daughter.
Old 05-02-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp

And she's why I think Vision MIGHT BE in the next Black Panther film?
Old 05-02-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, right, Shuri too.

Does the next Black Panther film happen before the Scarlet Witch Disney + show?
Old 05-02-19, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I was a little surprised that Vision didnt make an appearance, but even before they announced the WandaVision Streaming show i suspected he would be back. They have stored his AI in Wakanda as a back up and sure that they will create a new vibranium body for him. Not sure if he will be waiting as long as a Black Panther sequel to make an appearance as i believe they are starting production on the streaming show by the end of the year, but the route into the TV show via a movie sequel would be more satisfying.

As for future tech now that Tony is gone, well sure Shuri is there, but i think this is even more reason why we will see faster development in a new Fantastic Four being brought into the fold. Reed Richards as the smartest man alive would easily fill that role, just replace the sass with awkwardness.

I loved the movie, and whilst its full of plot holes that you could drive a truck through, its a case of simply go along with it and enjoy the ride. Talking with people who had offered criticisms i have said to them "You can accept a team comprised of a Thunder God, a walking talking tree, a walking talking racoon and Harry Potter, but the time travel thing is the straw that breaks the camels back." Enjoy it for what it is and its a solid conclusion to the last 10 years. Its not as good as Infinity War, but it doesn't need to be. They are basically one big movie split into two. Looking forward to watching them back to back.
Old 05-02-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Such a good movie. I can't remember having a better time watching a movie in a very long time.

But, with the exception of Spiderman, Thor and, to a much lesser extent, the Guardians, there isn't a single remaining character that I give much of a shit about. Black Panther, Dr Strange, Ant Man, Hawkeye, Cpt Marvel - all feel like second rate characters in second rate movies.
Old 05-02-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Such a good movie. I can't remember having a better time watching a movie in a very long time.

But, with the exception of Spiderman, Thor and, to a much lesser extent, the Guardians, there isn't a single remaining character that I give much of a shit about. Black Panther, Dr Strange, Ant Man, Hawkeye, Cpt Marvel - all feel like second rate characters in second rate movies.
Hulk?

Thor and Guardians are my two favorite series in this franchise right now (weirdly, I've always been lukewarm on Captain and growing tired of Stark). So I'm curious to see the other additions pan out.
Old 05-02-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by lopper
True, but it's not an insurmountable obstacle. I'm pretty sure that most fans of these films weren't hugely invested in the characters of Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man before the films came to be, but the spectacle and the performances of the actors brought them to life. So I think they can make these "B" characters stars, much like they did with Black Panther for some people.

Or just do what they've always done and what the comics have always done and reboot.

But I bet they'd kill to have Spider-man permanently back in the fold.

I am super curious how they spinoff the Hawkeye tv show now that we know his family is back in the picture, and if they introduce Kate Bishop (or they just use his daughter). They already have Cassie Lang.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.