Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 03:55 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

But Jarvis has been mentioned in the Iron Man movies so it stands that he exists
Old 04-30-19, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Yeah, he definitely existed, but as the A.I. and of course ultimately Vision, but not as Howard Stark's butler in the movies. He (and the same actor) originated from the TV show.
Old 04-30-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Speaking of the TV people, I didn't miss them and I don't think they were called for, but if ever they were going to fold in the Netflix heroes this would have been the battle to do it. I don't think the power sets of those characters would have really made sense to be at the battle to end all battles (outside of Iron Fist and Luke Cage), but I can imagine a world where in a 90 second scene Stark outfits Daredevil with some electro-nanotech-magic billy clubs and new suit to make him fit into the battle. This would, of course, been the definition of overkill, but it's a fun thought.

Dumb question, but are we supposed to think that Nat is a natural redhead and was letting her hair grow back in red because who has time to do their hair when you lived through the end of the world (except Hawkeye apparently has time to go get the douchiest haircut of them all), and thus explaining the blonde ends with the red roots?
Old 04-30-19, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Jarvis was always Howard Stark's butler in the comics, so if they are going to use him, it just makes sense to use the same actor. It's such an inconsequential role that it makes more sense to please the fans (in a movie that is all about fan service) that it does to recast or use a different character. I still don't think that we will ever see anyone from Agents of SHIELD (including Coulson in any role that occurs after his death) or from any of the Netflix shows on screen.
Old 04-30-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Probably. I doubt Marvel wants to use possibly its last chance at a Spidey film on a parallel timeline story.
To me, it would make more sense because of that. I don’t necessarily think this will be the case, but it makes sense. While Into the Spider-verse isn’t technically connected, it introduced Spider-Fans to parallel universes. Since Marvel Studios may not get another mutual go around with Sony’s character, why not split it off so it doesn’t cause future confusion with the MCU?

Originally Posted by Draven
It never ceases to amaze me how many people seem to think Far From Home will be anything but just the next Spider-Man movie. Not a prequel, not a dream, not an alternate reality. Just...next
No ... Far From Home will be this Spider-Man movie. Whatever Spider-man film comes after will be “next Spider-Man movie”. . (Otter Farm joke.)
Old 04-30-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
What I meant with Tony not doing a selective snap meant that I thought the person who said that thought the only power of the glove was to snap people out of existence. You are correct he did do a selective targeted snap against Thanos and his army but he could have done just about anything with the fully powered gauntlet.
Gotcha’ ... sorry I misunderstood that. Wait ... people actually think that is THE one and only power of getting the stones together?! Wow.
Old 04-30-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

So now that he movie is out has anyone gone back to check the trailers to see which characters were removed from group shots in the trailers?

I’m curious but not so curious to bother doing a side-by-side comparison myself.
Old 04-30-19, 05:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I found a link that had a list like that when I was looking for a shot of Howard the duck at the end battle.
Fat Thor and Banner/Hulk were the most edited
Old 04-30-19, 05:50 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
So now that he movie is out has anyone gone back to check the trailers to see which characters were removed from group shots in the trailers?

I’m curious but not so curious to bother doing a side-by-side comparison myself.
Pepper. Professor Hulk. Fat Thor.
Old 04-30-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

What a movie. I sometimes can't believe what we've been given with the MCU over the last ten years. I grew up watching half-hearted attempts at superheroes like Spider-Man and Hulk on television, not to mention all the false starts, cheese, and misfires, from Superman and Batman movies in the 80's and 90's that got progressively worse as time went on, to the decent but never really satisfying X-Men films. Twenty two films in eleven years. Yes, there was a misfire or two in there, but overall the continuing, Hell, improving quality of these movies is a true blessing for fans of comic books and sci-fi.

This was a wonderful end to the first "volume" of the MCU. Satisfying, captivating, and heartwarming. I honestly can't see how they'll top this. I just wish I could say the same about the new Star Wars films.

There's soooo much to process from all this, but I do have a few side thoughts:

Once you jettison the usual tropes of time travel, the story makes perfect sense. Several characters even tell us "that's not how this works, that's not how any of this works!" When you go to the past, it becomes the present, and events there move forward to the future. That's more or less how the Ancient One explained it to Banner. So Thanos leaving "2014" and dying in 2023 does not cause a paradox. The continuity of time has both 2018 Thanos snapping his fingers and 2014 Thanos being defeated later.

Captain America returning the soul stone to the Red Skull on Vormir must have been interesting. Would love to see a Marvel One Shot of this.

The only thought I had at the "girl power" scene was "How in Hell is Mantis going to be any help in all this?"

As for Cap and Peggy. He deserved it. Leave it at that. I'm sure all he went through was enough to teach him that he has to let events happen as intended.
Old 04-30-19, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Geddlo
I found a link that had a list like that when I was looking for a shot of Howard the duck at the end battle.
Fat Thor and Banner/Hulk were the most edited
Yeah, Howard the Duck is spotted for like a split second when Wasp makes her first appearance. It's legit. He's with the Ravagers coming in behind her.
Old 04-30-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,194 Likes on 2,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
As for Cap and Peggy. He deserved it. Leave it at that. I'm sure all he went through was enough to teach him that he has to let events happen as intended.
Honestly, despite enjoying ALL the characters in the Marvel films, Cap was the only one I REALLY cared about with his end. Black Widow’s death didn’t affect me much (though on initial viewing, it felt like it may not be permanent death with time travel still involved and all). I went in to the movie guessing that either Cap or Tony was going to end up sacrificing himself and had a bad feeling it was going to be Cap. When Tony died I was sad to see him go since he was the one who started it all but I was more relieved that Cap survived. I was truly glad that he had the ending he had and it made the entire OG Avengers story seem worthwhile. Even though Tony died, I still walked out of the movie feeling glad that’s Cap got the happy ending he deserved.
Old 04-30-19, 06:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The kid from Iron Man 3.
really? were we supposed to or could we know that?
Old 04-30-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
Yeah, Howard the Duck is spotted for like a split second when Wasp makes her first appearance. It's legit. He's with the Ravagers coming in behind her.
I found this online. Certainly didn't see it on my first viewing. Will watch for it on Imax showing tomorrow.
Spoiler:

Old 04-30-19, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Holy shit! That's awesome! Howard the Duck again! I hope they make that movie eventually!

I was just reading that the writers originally sent Tony to Asgard, using his "stealth suit" to try and grab the stone there instead of earth. Heimdall was still able to see him which resulted in a battle between the two. Sounded awesome.
Old 04-30-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Honestly, despite enjoying ALL the characters in the Marvel films, Cap was the only one I REALLY cared about with his end. Black Widow’s death didn’t affect me much (though on initial viewing, it felt like it may not be permanent death with time travel still involved and all). I went in to the movie guessing that either Cap or Tony was going to end up sacrificing himself and had a bad feeling it was going to be Cap. When Tony died I was sad to see him go since he was the one who started it all but I was more relieved that Cap survived. I was truly glad that he had the ending he had and it made the entire OG Avengers story seem worthwhile. Even though Tony died, I still walked out of the movie feeling glad that’s Cap got the happy ending he deserved.
ditto. Really happy Cap had his happy ending. No longer a man out of time
Old 04-30-19, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo

I had the thought that this could actually make a very compelling series on Marvel+ or Hulu. No superheroes, just regular people in a post-snap world.
Then it hit me that we pretty much already got that with The Leftovers.
The concept is really similar to a lot of recent tv shows that want to be the next Lost: The Leftovers. Flash Forward. Manifest. The Event. Basically anything that involves people vanishing, appearing out of nowhere, or some kind of time jump.
Old 04-30-19, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I saw it one more time today in Dolby Cinema at AMC and that final battle sequence looked fucking amazing. There was a big cheer again once Black Panther showed up.

Since I saw it in full on Sunday, I actually dozed off for a few minutes early in the movie. But, once the last 2 acts hit, I was riveted again. On Sunday, I bailed once the credits rolled, but today I stuck around for it to see all the names and that nice little animated sequence with the signatures as I was unaware of that.

I think 2 times is enough for me and I'm good until it hits 4K UHD in 4 months or so. It's a huge time commitment and I'd rather see something new now.
Old 05-01-19, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Jarvis was always Howard Stark's butler in the comics, so if they are going to use him, it just makes sense to use the same actor. It's such an inconsequential role that it makes more sense to please the fans (in a movie that is all about fan service) that it does to recast or use a different character. I still don't think that we will ever see anyone from Agents of SHIELD (including Coulson in any role that occurs after his death) or from any of the Netflix shows on screen.
This is my biggest disappointment I think. I really wanted Coulson to be back to let him basically say hey guys I'm still alive. Or at least be in the funeral scene.

Originally Posted by Jason
The only thought I had at the "girl power" scene was "How in Hell is Mantis going to be any help in all this?"

That's what I love about that scene is when you watch it again look at Mantis' expression. She's basically like, "I don't know what is going on or why I'm charging with these powerful warrior women but I'm going to do it anyways." It's so subtle and hilarious but also endearing that even though she knows she's not going to make much of a difference she's doing it anyways. Pom is so good at acting with her expressions very subtly.

But this does highlight how IW was better at giving everyone the spotlight as even then Mantis had a major part in the plan to take down Thanos on Titan. This time around not so much.

Agreed, everyone is so wrapped up about the timeline (and yeah I am to I get it and it's part of the fun) But also it just works so well dramatically, sometimes a few concessions in logic are worth it for dramatic effect.

Old 05-01-19, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't find Tony's death as impactful as I found Pepper's reaction to it. When Peter and Rhodey were there over a dying Tony I got what they were going for, but it didn't hit me, but Pepper's reaction? Oh boy.

I, like you, am glad they gave Cap a happy ending. The logic of it doesn't bother me at all, and since it worked for me I'm not interested in pulling at any dangling threads regarding it.

My memory is totally for shit, but did they put a cap on time travel at the end of the movie or is it still possible? I really wouldn't be surprised to see them go back in time 10 or 15 years from now in a stunt to pluck Steve Rogers back out of time to help with some battle in the future. Not calling for that, but I could see it.
Old 05-01-19, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't look like this has been posted here yet. EW article explaining Cap's time travel shenanigans

https://ew.com/movies/2019/04/30/ave...ptain-america/

Cliff notes version: Bucky knew and there are intentional secrets to unravel later.
Old 05-01-19, 07:42 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Yea... I saw it again last night. It was more obvious that Bucky knew.
Old 05-01-19, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

So I finally got to see this yesterday and have slowly been going thru this thread. My first impression on seeing the movie was that it was damn near perfect. Even after reading through this, I still feel that way. I'm willing to ignore the time travel paradoxes and enjoy the humor of a movie referencing time travel movies it was pretty meta. I know a lot of the end was fan service but it was far from instant gratification.

I'm not a huge Marvel fan, I somehow managed until recently to miss Civil War - I thought I had watched it, the BR case was open, but after the first few minutes I had no recognition of the movie or plot, I think my kid made me turn it off and I meant to get back to it but somehow got busy with life and never did (Imagine my surprise to find out events discussed in Antman 2 actually happened and were not some odd inside joke as a plot device) I skipped Captain Marvel thus far - will see it on BR some day.... but I have seen most of the movies at least once at some point.

I was not blown away by Infinity war, thought it was good (3/5 territory) but not amazing. But my god, I was blown away by endgame. Perhaps as a Star Wars fan I can appreciate a well executed story line with a long arc that has been planned out (at least somewhat) over multiple movies. I really didn't feel like I had sat for over 3 hours and never once checked my phone - something I do with GOT and nearly everything else. The start of the movie with Hawkeye seeing his whole family snapped was a good way to start it out, might have been good to keep one person in his family alive but hey, it sets the tone. It was a long movie and the beginning was somewhat slow but the lead up to Antmans return felt right setting the tone of despair in the aftermath of the snap. I'm glad they didn't break it into two more movies as this was like at least 2 movies worth of material but they knocked this out of the park in my opinion. I really thought Captain Marvel was supposed to be the "answer to Thanos" and I'm glad she was part of it but not an instant fix and was nearly peripheral.. Some great moments with the Scarlet Witch and Thanos during the battle and before that seeing Tony with Peter was just nice to see Tony as human and fatherly toward Spidey. Seeing Cap get his due and the battle of the Caps was also pretty cool nice ending to the original Avengers, would have been nice for Black Widow to get more of her due but it happens at a time the action is peaking and a battle still to come so it makes sense they handled it how they did.

As for the haters on the girl power scene did anyone stop to think how gaga some women are over Peter Parker? My daughter loves him and maybe they were going for a closer look so they happened to be close when he went down
Old 05-01-19, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Love both films but I still think Infinity War was more consistent movie
Endgame is basically three movies put together. A drama, Back to the Future 2 and a Superhero showdown.
Old 05-01-19, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
As for the haters on the girl power scene did anyone stop to think how gaga some women are over Peter Parker? My daughter loves him and maybe they were going for a closer look so they happened to be close when he went down
Bunch of super-powered cradle robbers!

Originally Posted by nando820
Love both films but I still think Infinity War was more consistent movie.
Agreed. I think Endgame is largely well-done and satisfying, but I definitely had more of a blast with Infinity War and will be revisiting that movie more often. I'm pretty sure it's actually my favorite of all the MCU movies at this point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.