Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 04-29-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by B5Erik
By the way, I loved Banner/Hulk.
The Incredible "Bulk"??? Hmmmm.
Old 04-29-19, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Peter Parker explained it like they experienced zero time. He was snapped, and then, to him, and instant later they were back and Dr Strange was organizing getting everyone back for the end battle. The fact that Peter is the same age is a big sign as well, since teenagers age fast.

As others have stated, that 5 year difference is going to probably impact Peter the most, since half his class is going to be in college now. It was probably why he was so relieved to see his friend in school at the end of the movie.

For the next Spiderman movie, it seems, based on his trailer, like all his major friends/classmates were all snapped if it indeed takes place after Endgame.
So ... am I the only one who thinks Far From Home is going to be a parallel/split timeline?
Old 04-29-19, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

So ... am I the only one who thinks Far From Home is going to be a parallel/split timeline?
Yes.
Old 04-29-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,171 Likes on 4,201 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Hey, I wonder if that would have worked? Tough gig for Ant-man though!
Trust me it's a theory that has been well explored
Old 04-29-19, 08:56 PM

Received 1,896 Likes on 1,119 Posts

I like Kyle Hill a lot. He's tweeted back to my kids a couple times after they watched his Star Wars science episodes. I like his style and his show is fun. This episode doesn't disappoint.
Old 04-29-19, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Probably. I doubt Marvel wants to use possibly its last chance at a Spidey film on a parallel timeline story.
Old 04-29-19, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts

It never ceases to amaze me how many people seem to think Far From Home will be anything but just the next Spider-Man movie. Not a prequel, not a dream, not an alternate reality. Just...next
Old 04-29-19, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
It never ceases to amaze me how many people seem to think Far From Home will be anything but just the next Spider-Man movie. Not a prequel, not a dream, not an alternate reality. Just...next
It’s not like it’s unprecedented for there to be a prequel within the MCU or films that don’t necessarily fall in release order.

I considered the idea that Far From Home could be an alternate reality. Perhaps the dusted people existed outside of the main timeline, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I actually think that could be interesting as you could fill that five year gap with characters figuring out what happened to them and why things are different.
Old 04-29-19, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimaton
Even if you're wearing the gauntlet, you still have to will yourself to be invulnerable -- Thanos apparently didn't -- so yeah, a tank top isn't as much protection as armor.
That's a cop out. Shit, Iron Man dropped a fucking spaceship on him in IW with even less notice and he absorbed it and threw it right back at him. For the record, this was not my compliant, but my buddy makes a good point there.
Old 04-29-19, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

There's a lot of potential fallout from half the poplulation just re-appearing exactly where they were 5 years ago. Remember that unmanned helicopter spinning out of control during the IW stinger? Half of each passenger plane in the air got snapped. Not to mention all the people drive/riding in cars. Are they just going to pop up in the middle of highways?

People have been declared dead. Jobs have been either refilled or eliminated. Some people may have moved on romantically, or even physically moved elsewhere. Food production has likely been drastically reduced for 5 years, with fields untended and unharvested. Not to mention everything else that didn't get 5 years of maintenance and upkeep. Ships left to rot docked at sea. Manufacturing probably halted because suddenly there was twice as much stuff as the population needed.

There's probably more that I'm not thinking of, but the unsnappening realistically would be potentially worse for the world to recover from than the original snappening.
I had the thought that this could actually make a very compelling series on Marvel+ or Hulu. No superheroes, just regular people in a post-snap world.
Then it hit me that we pretty much already got that with The Leftovers.
Old 04-30-19, 04:57 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Seriously.
Old 04-30-19, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

OK, I guess I should have read a little further ... I might be able to go with this difference between barehand and using something as a “existential hot pad holder”.

However, the power of the gauntlet/stones is to do whatever the person wielding the wants. That includes wiping out half of all life at random. Tony’s snap was selective (meaning targeted).
What I meant with Tony not doing a selective snap meant that I thought the person who said that thought the only power of the glove was to snap people out of existence. You are correct he did do a selective targeted snap against Thanos and his army but he could have done just about anything with the fully powered gauntlet.
Old 04-30-19, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The Girl Power moment was completely forced, and is statistically improbable in a chaotic situation like that. Yeah, 10 women are going to get together on the battlefield in the middle of an unbelievably chaotic and dangerous battle without any of the men there joining them. Right. Statistically improbable? Try highly improbable. We all know why that moment was put in, and it wasn't a natural, organic part of that battle scene, which is why so many people have issues with it. It takes you out of the movie, which moments like that shouldn't do.

Still, it wasn't so egregious as to be a major issue. It's a minor quibble.
Have you ever seen one woman go to the bathroom alone? No they somehow find every single other woman to go to the bathroom together. That's why the line is always so long. If anything this was the most realistic aspect of the movie.

Old 04-30-19, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Something about the way this was handled didn't work for me either. I think the back-and-forth struggle with Clint just went on a tad too long and stepped a bit into the ridiculous. I was also sitting there thinking the entire time, do these two really love each other? Clint's married to another woman whom he obviously misses, and if Natasha loves anyone, it's Bruce. So I kept wondering if either of their deaths would actually qualify as the "sacrifice of love" needed for the soul stone. So, yeah... in the end I found Gamora's death a whole lot more moving than Natasha's. Maybe I'll change my mind on second viewing. Natasha's death made my wife cry, so maybe it was just me.
I agree I think it was the way it was presented. I think the soundtrack had a lot to do with that as well. The tension just builds and builds until the realization that Gamora has and the genuine tears that Thanos sheds for her. With Nat and Clint they almost play it for a quick laugh when they jump to where they are trying to figure out what to do. It still had an emotional impact but could have been played better. Also just because they aren't married doesn't mean they can't love each other. They have always been shown to have a friendship that goes beyond a typical one.
Old 04-30-19, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

There's a lot of potential fallout from half the poplulation just re-appearing exactly where they were 5 years ago. Remember that unmanned helicopter spinning out of control during the IW stinger? Half of each passenger plane in the air got snapped. Not to mention all the people drive/riding in cars. Are they just going to pop up in the middle of highways?

People have been declared dead. Jobs have been either refilled or eliminated. Some people may have moved on romantically, or even physically moved elsewhere. Food production has likely been drastically reduced for 5 years, with fields untended and unharvested. Not to mention everything else that didn't get 5 years of maintenance and upkeep. Ships left to rot docked at sea. Manufacturing probably halted because suddenly there was twice as much stuff as the population needed.

There's probably more that I'm not thinking of, but the unsnappening realistically would be potentially worse for the world to recover from than the original snappening.
Relax, this is Marvel, not MANIFEST.
Old 04-30-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Thirteen pages to this thread and this is the takeaway....

that girl-power moment

I didn't even see it as that. So fucking sad that this ruined and took them right out of the movie for so many here whining about it. People have issues.
Old 04-30-19, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer

that girl-power moment

I didn't even see it as that. So fucking sad that this ruined and took them right out of the movie for so many here whining about it. People have issues.
Men have issues.

Old 04-30-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

I stand corrected.

Anyway so much to digest in this. It will take a second viewing or third viewing to catch everything. It was a perfect way to end this phase. I loved it. I have some of the some continuity grips but who cares! This was great!! Can't wait to see it again.
Old 04-30-19, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

That scene was hamfisted, it had build up... that lead to nothing. But then again, most of the battlefield sequence seemed weirdly forced to me (I get that it was fan service, but a lot of it was clunky)

I was hoping they'd give Valkyrie more to do.

Did Gamora survive the Stark snap? I know it shows Quill running a search for her at the end, but I'm not sure if I missed something. I was surprised to actually enjoy Nebula for a change.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-30-19 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-30-19, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Captain Marvel has been too busy with all the other planets affected by Thanos to hang around and help but she still has time to get her hair restyled and cut. They should have just had her show up with the new hairstyle in the first place.
Old 04-30-19, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It's a haircut. Generally it just seems like she doesn't check her pager/e-mails.
Old 04-30-19, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I think its time for this reminder:

Old 04-30-19, 09:48 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
That's a cop out. Shit, Iron Man dropped a fucking spaceship on him in IW with even less notice and he absorbed it and threw it right back at him. For the record, this was not my compliant, but my buddy makes a good point there.
I think the issue is that the Thanos in Infinity War's personality differs from that of Endgame, in that he's suffered great loss to attain the soul stone, whereas in Endgame he's motivated by both attaining the stones and revenge upon his future murderers.

Hell, even before Endgame, Thanos in IW seemed to be handled differently than his portrayal in Guardians of the Galaxy
Old 04-30-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer

that girl-power moment

The “Girl Power” moment didn’t affect me in the slightest. You know what took me out of the movie for a second? Spider-Man swings into frame for the first time and he immediately rips off his mask!

Jesus Peter, can’t you keep that thing on for 5 minutes?! You’re in the middle of a huge battle!
Old 04-30-19, 10:06 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Moving forward I'm most excited about Asguardians of the Galaxy
And thinking about the Guardians is where I realize my minor complaint with Endgame
I did not get all the feels for Iron Man's death compared to what I felt watching the Guardians movies, specially part 2. I know a lot of people where bawling even at my showing so maybe its just me. But I think Gunn might be better at handling these dramatic arcs..

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.