Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
My only comment is...who the hell decided it was a good idea to give Captain Marvel that haircut? Was it solely done for the joke with Rocket? That was a really bad look
Probably simply to show that time had passed and she hadn't kept that same hair style over the past 25 years (or however long it has been since Captain Marvel took place).

Last edited by dex14; 04-29-19 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
My only comment is...who the hell decided it was a good idea to give Captain Marvel that haircut? Was it solely done for the joke with Rocket? That was a really bad look
I assume the same person that put the dead possum on Hawkeyes head.

Last edited by dex14; 04-29-19 at 07:17 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Saw it, loved it. The single best moment was Cap calling for Thor's hammer - that was awesome. That said, seeing Pepper Potts in an Iron Man suit was awful; as was the "girl power" scene towards the end. I have no problem with it but forcing it down our throat was political correctness just for the sake of having it.
Old 04-29-19, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I feel like the Iron Man character has gone off the rails, I hope when they reboot they keep it a little old school and don't clone these suits like candy... I always liked the fact that he was somewhat dependent on that suit to live.. also want that old crazy Hulk back...
Old 04-29-19, 07:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
That said, seeing Pepper Potts in an Iron Man suit was awful; as was the "girl power" scene towards the end. I have no problem with it but forcing it down our throat was political correctness just for the sake of having it.
Especially when the point of the whole "girl power" scene was that they were going to clear a path for Captain Marvel, then she just blasts ahead like a battering ram without them.
Old 04-29-19, 07:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
This is an issue I’m sticking with. I don’t care what your rules are, but stick with them once you set them. Tony building the Iron Gauntlet was out of whack with what had been established. Him just getting all of the stones should have killed him — he never should have had the chance to use them.
Agree 100%. Whatever happened to Thanos needing to visit Nidavellir to get the Gauntlet? I'll buy the argument that simply carrying the Gauntlet doesn't affect the bearer, but putting it on sure as Hell does, you can see the power coursing through their bodies. Stark would have been killed instantaneously. Hell, Hulk was nearly killed before he had the chance to snap.
Old 04-29-19, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler
Especially when the point of the whole "girl power" scene was that they were going to clear a path for Captain Marvel, then she just blasts ahead like a battering ram without them.
I feel like the others are shown to do some blocking, keeping the patch clear for Captain Marvel and stopping attacks from the side.

Originally Posted by Shoveler
Agree 100%. Whatever happened to Thanos needing to visit Nidavellir to get the Gauntlet? I'll buy the argument that simply carrying the Gauntlet doesn't affect the bearer, but putting it on sure as Hell does, you can see the power coursing through their bodies. Stark would have been killed instantaneously. Hell, Hulk was nearly killed before he had the chance to snap.
One fan-wank is that Stark's suit didn't assemble all the jewels in sequence until the very last second. If one thinks of the gloves as linking the stones together, and then linking them to the wearer, maybe Stark's suit didn't make all those connections until a split second before he snaps. This is compared to Thanos, who is always wearing the Gauntlet with its pre-formed connections, and Hulk who puts the Iron Glove on after the jewels have been assembled and all the links made.
Old 04-29-19, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Probably simply to show that time had passed and she hadn't kept that same hair style over the past 25 years (or however long it has been since Captain Marvel took place).
Except she still had long hair when she brought Stark and Nebula to Earth. So she kept the same look for 25 years but changed it between the snap and the “five years later” events.
Old 04-29-19, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Well, she did have basically the same haircut at the beginning of the movie as she did at the end of Captain Marvel, so from 1995-2016, or 21 years (assuming it stayed the same all that time).

I do think the haircut was probably to help show the passage of time, similar to Black Widow's hair. However, I for Black Widow, I was thinking it was odd that her hair was a mix of blond/red at that length, since if she stopped dying her hair 5 years ago, the red should've grown out to that length by now. I think it was supposed to show Natasha "letting herself go," being run too ragged to get a good haircut or dye job. Of course, my wife noticed her nails we perfectly manicured.
Old 04-29-19, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Now for my in depth details about what I liked about this movie:

- I think that this movie did well in wrapping up the journey for all of the major characters whether in life or death.

- I geeked out when CA picked up Mjolnir and used it against Thanos.

- The reappearance of all of the vanished Superheroes made me happy too especially Doctor Strange comment to Wong if they forgot anybody else or something along those lines.

- Thor better be in the 3rd GotG movie. Some of you might not like the "Thorbrowski" version but I find it much better than the brooding and whiny version we got in his first two movies.

I was happy to see so many "cameos" from the previous movies appear in this movie and I would have never guessed Portman appearing again in a Marvel movie (whether it was an old footage or not).

Is this movie perfect?
Heck no.
Any movie that uses time travel as plot deserves scrutiny in the timeline complications that arises. This movie is no exception. See CA ending for example.

I understand the desire for Marvel to use the Girl Power sequence but they used the wrong female character to carry the Gauntlet. It just didn't make sense for her to need support to go through Thanos' army.

I personally did not like the death of Natasha.

However, overall, this movie was as perfect ending as I could have envisioned for the culmination of the previous 21 movies.
Old 04-29-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I personally did not like the death of Natasha.
Something about the way this was handled didn't work for me either. I think the back-and-forth struggle with Clint just went on a tad too long and stepped a bit into the ridiculous. I was also sitting there thinking the entire time, do these two really love each other? Clint's married to another woman whom he obviously misses, and if Natasha loves anyone, it's Bruce. So I kept wondering if either of their deaths would actually qualify as the "sacrifice of love" needed for the soul stone. So, yeah... in the end I found Gamora's death a whole lot more moving than Natasha's. Maybe I'll change my mind on second viewing. Natasha's death made my wife cry, so maybe it was just me.
Old 04-29-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I've read speculation that "Far From Home" takes place before Infinity War, especially since Feige said it's the last Phase 3 movie.
The attempt to throw off the audience aside, he's also said it takes place mere moments after the events of Endgame leading me to believe that it picks up right after Tony's funeral and shows Peter dealing with this as well as returning to school with most of his classmates having moved on. May bug others as convenient, but I'm fine with Ned, MJ and Flash having been dusted and also still in the same grade. It'd be a good angle to see how those who survived the snap relate to those who returned from it.

Another thing to think of is, if Aunt May wasn't dusted, she had to live without Peter for five years just after the loss of her husband. She musta' been a wreck.
Old 04-29-19, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

So was Jarvis the only actor/character from a Marvel TV show that was in Endgame?
Old 04-29-19, 09:48 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
So was Jarvis the only actor/character from a Marvel TV show that was in Endgame?
Yes. That originated on a TV show.
Old 04-29-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

This is an issue I’m sticking with. I don’t care what your rules are, but stick with them once you set them. Tony building the Iron Gauntlet was out of whack with what had been established. Him just getting all of the stones should have killed him — he never should have had the chance to use them.
Keep in mind he was wearing his armor at the time he was wielding the stones which likely afforded him some degree of protection.
Old 04-29-19, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Something about the way this was handled didn't work for me either. I think the back-and-forth struggle with Clint just went on a tad too long and stepped a bit into the ridiculous. I was also sitting there thinking the entire time, do these two really love each other? Clint's married to another woman whom he obviously misses, and if Natasha loves anyone, it's Bruce. So I kept wondering if either of their deaths would actually qualify as the "sacrifice of love" needed for the soul stone. So, yeah... in the end I found Gamora's death a whole lot more moving than Natasha's. Maybe I'll change my mind on second viewing. Natasha's death made my wife cry, so maybe it was just me.
Clint and Natasha are like brother and sister. They have explained throughout the movies how each of them have saved the other emotionally. His kids called her Aunt Nat. She pulled him back after Loki. They do love each other, just not romantically.

A better question is if taking the soul stone cost a soul, what do you get for bringing it back?
Old 04-29-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

Well, it's just his friend Ned, MJ and that bully, right? I think Feige confirmed last year that Aunt May didn't die so they will have that to work through in the movie. And having Liz survive the Snapture will give them a nice tidy way to end that relationship.
Betty Brandt, played by the girl from the Nice Guys, is also on that trip so it would be at least four. Agree on Liz. Especially since the actress is almost 30.
Old 04-29-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Did the people who got "un-snapped" come back 5 years older, or the same age as when they got snapped away?
Old 04-29-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Betty Brandt, played by the girl from the Nice Guys, is also on that trip so it would be at least four. Agree on Liz. Especially since the actress is almost 30.
Liz has been written out already though. She moved to Oregon.
Old 04-29-19, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did the people who got "un-snapped" come back 5 years older, or the same age as when they got snapped away?
Why would they be any older? They DIDN'T EXIST for those five years.
Old 04-29-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Peter Parker explained it like they experienced zero time. He was snapped, and then, to him, and instant later they were back and Dr Strange was organizing getting everyone back for the end battle. The fact that Peter is the same age is a big sign as well, since teenagers age fast.

As others have stated, that 5 year difference is going to probably impact Peter the most, since half his class is going to be in college now. It was probably why he was so relieved to see his friend in school at the end of the movie.

For the next Spiderman movie, it seems, based on his trailer, like all his major friends/classmates were all snapped if it indeed takes place after Endgame.
Old 04-29-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Saw it last night.

Accomplished everything I needed to wrap this huge arc up in a satisfying manner. Lots of great moments, loved that they slowed it down and focused on the impact of the snap and really got some great character moments.

I wont even bother trying to get into the why and how of the time travel scenarios. It doesn't all have to fit in logically or be specifically laid out in front of us, because all time travel stories can be poked to death, and it is more satisfying to just go along with the story they chose to tell.

If I had one complaint, it would be fat Thor. Good on them for sticking with it for the whole movie, as I figured that he would somehow zap his way back to his former look before the big battle, but it was just a bit silly watching him fight thanos with a beer belly.
Old 04-29-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fat Thor was really dumb. I would get him looking disheveled and haggard but fat? Felt it was too much of a forced attempt at humor.

Although, I loved the "that is America's ass" line from Cap after he beat 2012 Cap. Almost makes me wonder if it was ad-libbed by him.
Old 04-29-19, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Liz has been written out already though. She moved to Oregon.
True, but she's still listed in the cast.
Old 04-29-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
True, but she's still listed in the cast.
Could make for an interesting dynamic if she wasn't dusted and is now that much older than Peter.

Speaking of Liz, that made me think of another question, specifically concerning the Vulture. I guess Peter's line to Tony indicated that he reappeared exactly where he disappeared. But imagine if Vulture (assuming he was among the dusted) disappeared in a guarded area of his prison that was no longer guarded when he reappeared, allowing him to escape. I'm just spitballing right now, but the future movies do have a few questions to answer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.