Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 04-28-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Wolf359
There's more than one instance of the movie telling you that the soul stone sacrifice is irreversible. Hulk even says it, that when he made the snap he tried to bring Natasha back and couldn't. That Gamora won't be back, she's dead. New Gamora with no memories of the Guardians will be the one going forward.
But wait a second ... (time travel mumbo jumbo coming up) ...

If Nat traded her soul/life (I’d argue there is a difference, but we won’t go there) for the Soul Stone ... Thanos never could have traded Gamora’s soul/life ... ergo ... she should be here?

Why isn’t anybody doing the Deadpool bitching and complaining about how nothing matters now? (I don’t agree with that argument and I’ve said it before. Just pointing out that some people seem to be handing out free passes in this case.)
Old 04-28-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I loved it and gave it a 4.5 out of 5 but it was not without its problems, especially with a way too overlong first act. There are also quite a few deep plot holes but you know what, it's a comic book hero movie and you have to look past that sort of thing. Will try to see it in 3D IMAX before it leaves theaters in 2021.
Old 04-28-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Well, Tony's death proved what Hulk warned them about: that he was the only one who could survive the gamma rays associated with the gauntlet. Can't explain the other stuff you mentioned.
Originally Posted by majorjoe23

There was a problem. Wielding the stones killed Tony. Hulk survived wielding it. Maybe Peter would have. But Tony didn’t.
Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler

Tony did just figure out time travel in 30 minutes. Not crazy to think he could create a glove to handle the stones.

This is an issue I’m sticking with. I don’t care what your rules are, but stick with them once you set them. Tony building the Iron Gauntlet was out of whack with what had been established. Him just getting all of the stones should have killed him — he never should have had the chance to use them.
Old 04-28-19, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman

Quill barehanded the power stone. Ronin, Thanos, Loki, The ancient one, Dr. Strange, Red Skull, The Hulk and yes even Tony Stark needed some kind of device to wield the power of the stones. Everyone else that touched one or wielded one without a device only did so temporarily or was in danger or killed. And yeah Hulk survived and Tony died wielding it. How is that “tossed out the window” it conforms exactly to the rules they set up. And Tony didn’t do a selective snap. The power of the gauntlet isn’t to snap half the world out of existence that’s what Thanos used it to do. Hulk used it to bring those people back and Tony used it to wipe out his army.
OK, I guess I should have read a little further ... I might be able to go with this difference between barehand and using something as a “existential hot pad holder”.

However, the power of the gauntlet/stones is to do whatever the person wielding the wants. That includes wiping out half of all life at random. Tony’s snap was selective (meaning targeted).
Old 04-28-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah that’s an interesting thought. I was thinking that when he says to Tony in a remorseful tone “It was the only way.” It plays like he is remorseful for giving Thanos the time stone where now we realize he’s sorry that he just committed them on the path where the only way to victory is with Tony’s sacrifice.

But it I just thought of a possible plot hole or maybe solved a plot hole. If Strange looked into the future why didn’t he tell Quill not to ruin their chance of defeating Thanos on Titan? Or does this redeem Quill because they would have lost the battle anyways or the one timeline that their successful in Quill does his dumb thing anyways so it’s not his fault?
Same as it was with Tony ... telling him would actually change things. Dr. Strange seems to be the only character who fully understands that messing with timelines comes with consequences. Sure, the rest give it lip service and they think it won’t matter because they will just come back and “nip the branches off”.
Old 04-28-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Did they say it was actually Tony’s birthday? I thought it was just the year he was born, and that he was due soon.
I wasn't 100% sure on that. But either way, why that date? Why was Tony 100% sure that was a day that both Pym and the Tesseract would be at that location? I figured it would have something to do with Pym having interactions with Howard Stark, or that it was a special day for some reason. Besides Tony's birth, there didn't seem to be anything special about the date.
Old 04-28-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I've seen this movie three times now. My question concerns the 2012 timeline where Loki escaped with the Tessaract. The Ancient One stated that all stones would have to be returned to the timeline in order to save their time stream. But, as far as I can tell, the Tessaract was never returned, unless that's going to be the plot of Loki's show. or are we to assume that Captain America found Loki and returned it? Because the one they had was to go back to 1970...
Old 04-28-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I didn't read this whole thread, so someone may have mentioned it already, but re: Peter Parker. Isn't he going back to school with approximately 50 percent of his class already having graduated, with that 50 percent now being kids that were five years behind him before he vanished? Unless "Far From Home" takes place before Infinity War, it's not going to make sense that EVERY one of those in Peter's group of friends got "snapped" by Thanos.
Old 04-28-19, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone else wondered where Valkyrie got her flying horse? Can she she create new ones?

yeah I was wondering that. The only thing I could think of was Strange conjured one/teleported one to her? It’s pretty paper thin reasoning but it works...barely.
At some point before he fell too deep into his depression, Thor would've had to have used Stormbreaker to check on the rest of the Nine Realms to see how they had fared after the decimation -- he was still technically their king as well, and responsible for their protection -- so they probably picked one up in Alfheim (home of the Light Elves) or something.
Old 04-28-19, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

This is an issue I’m sticking with. I don’t care what your rules are, but stick with them once you set them. Tony building the Iron Gauntlet was out of whack with what had been established. Him just getting all of the stones should have killed him — he never should have had the chance to use them.

It probably depends on the definition of “wield.” We saw multiple people holding the gauntlet, so presumably it’s not just proximity to the stones that does the damage. It’s not until the user’s fist is clenched that they activate and do damage to the user.

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
I've seen this movie three times now. My question concerns the 2012 timeline where Loki escaped with the Tessaract. The Ancient One stated that all stones would have to be returned to the timeline in order to save their time stream. But, as far as I can tell, the Tessaract was never returned, unless that's going to be the plot of Loki's show. or are we to assume that Captain America found Loki and returned it? Because the one they had was to go back to 1970...
Wouldn’t the 2012 stone be part of a timeline split, with the 1970 stone being in the main branch?

But I would assume this all factors into Loki’s show.
Old 04-28-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

I also enjoyed the almost 180 character arc of Thanos. He was not as calculating and methodical in this one as he was in IW. Ten years does a lot for a character but he was still strong and fast as hell. Shit, he actually managed to put the Gauntlet back on again.
Old 04-28-19, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I just watched it this morning and it was a nice way to wrap things up.
Old 04-28-19, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
They didn't actually take the tesseract from 2012, so they didn't have to return it to there. They did mess up the timeline though of course. I expect that what happens after Loki steals the Tesseract will be addressed in his Disney+ series.
Old 04-28-19, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 475 Likes on 349 Posts

I made it a point to avoid any comments or posts anywhere about Endgame for the last month, and I'm glad I did...

I really, really liked Endgame. For me, it was definitely better than Infinity War. It had the character development that Infinity War lacked. It had more character moments and story development time than Infinity War did. I loved the fact that the first hour was paced the way it was. It matched the serious and somber tone of what society would really be like if HALF of the population suddenly disappeared. It made sense. It felt right.

I was surprised to see Black Widow die - that was a disappointment for me since I love how SJ plays her. I wanted more than a prequel or two from her. I wanted stories going forward, not just taking place in the past. Having said that, they handled her death really well, and it felt right, too, for the story.

The Girl Power moment was completely forced, and is statistically improbable in a chaotic situation like that. Yeah, 10 women are going to get together on the battlefield in the middle of an unbelievably chaotic and dangerous battle without any of the men there joining them. Right. Statistically improbable? Try highly improbable. We all know why that moment was put in, and it wasn't a natural, organic part of that battle scene, which is why so many people have issues with it. It takes you out of the movie, which moments like that shouldn't do.

Still, it wasn't so egregious as to be a major issue. It's a minor quibble.

And I loved the ending. I was ready for Tony to go. The way Stark's been written over the last few movies I wanted them to bump him off. He's been a real jerk and totally obnoxious - and not in a fun way like in the first two IM movies. He had a chance to go out as a hero, and that was great.

The ending for Cap was fantastic as far as I'm concerned. He earned the right to live a life with Peggy. The timeline gets wonky if he does that? So what? With time travel movies there's always stuff that gets wonky. I'm OK with that. Steve deserved to live a full, happy life with Peggy, and the scene of them dancing was perfect.

Did many of the characters come off as glorified cameos? Absolutely. But it was necessary. There were far too many characters in this movie to give them all significant screen time. Focusing on the original Avengers was the right thing to do.

And I couldn't believe it when Robert Redford walked on screen! How they got him to do this movie I'll never know, but that was a great moment.

As for Captain Marvel, she was OK. She's the weak link in this movie, and her movie is probably only better than Iron Man 3 and The Dark World (which means it's still OK , but not as good as it should have been). Brie Larson doesn't seem to have been the best possible casting choice, but now they're stuck with her. (Unlike Terrence Howard in Iron Man, who was fairly easily replaced.)

Right now I'm thinking I'd put Endgame in my Top 5 Marvel Movies list, below Winter Soldier, Avengers, and maybe First Avenger (I love that one - and Iron Man 2, for that matter).

4 1/2 out of 5 from me. I'm a happy camper today!
Old 04-28-19, 09:04 PM

Received 4,551 Likes on 3,087 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
And I couldn't believe it when Robert Redford walked on screen! How they got him to do this movie I'll never know, but that was a great moment.
They asked.
Old 04-28-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 475 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

They asked.
Well, alrighty then.

I would have expected him to say, "No," since he only did Winter Soldier for his grandkids, and his part was done. I wonder how hard they had to work to sell him on doing the movie.

Obviously, whatever they had to do they did, and I'm really glad he was in the movie.
Old 04-28-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Well, alrighty then.

I would have expected him to say, "No," since he only did Winter Soldier for his grandkids, and his part was done. I wonder how hard they had to work to sell him on doing the movie.

Obviously, whatever they had to do they did, and I'm really glad he was in the movie.
“Hey Bob, could we get ya to come in for a couple of hours?”
Old 04-28-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I didn't read this whole thread, so someone may have mentioned it already, but re: Peter Parker. Isn't he going back to school with approximately 50 percent of his class already having graduated, with that 50 percent now being kids that were five years behind him before he vanished? Unless "Far From Home" takes place before Infinity War, it's not going to make sense that EVERY one of those in Peter's group of friends got "snapped" by Thanos.
Yeah that part confused me, they played it like his buddy didn't turn to ash and he did, but if that were the case he'd be out of High School. And far from home would make even less sense

Anyway, I thought this was the best of the actual Avengers movies and overall thought it was good. It sort of reminded me of Inception for some reason.

Last edited by RichC2; 04-28-19 at 11:35 PM.
Old 04-28-19, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Your mistake here is looking at when the movies came out, instead of when they were made.

Black Panther was filmed before IW, but Captain Marvel was actually shot after they filmed IW/Endgame.
Regardless of when they were filmed, didn't Feige and Co. know exactly when the films wold be released? They have to be aware that the film release order builds an overall narrative for the audience.
Old 04-29-19, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,158 Likes on 4,191 Posts

Well, it's just his friend Ned, MJ and that bully, right? I think Feige confirmed last year that Aunt May didn't die so they will have that to work through in the movie. And having Liz survive the Snapture will give them a nice tidy way to end that relationship.
Old 04-29-19, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,625 Likes on 2,602 Posts

Saw a fully packed 7pm show tonight. Awesome and exhausting experience, but overall a great finale to the MCU in this form.

I went in with zero spoilers and was shocked by some of the things that happened including Natasha's death, Tony's death and eventually Cap going back in time to grow old with Peggy. I could hear someone sobbing when Tony died.

and holy shit, that final hour was fucking awesome. Amazing and exhilarating. Total fan service. My theatre had a big round of applause with all the returning characters coming back, especially Black Panther.

It would have been much cooler in the final battle scene if Cap screamed out "Avengers Assemble" Felt like he just whispered it.

What I found especially cool was how they integrated the Back to the Future style time travel elements and how the characters came back to see key points in the MCU. It was cool seeing Robert Redford back from Winter Soldier. Some of those leaked set photos from over a year ago with the cast dressed in their older costumers now have better frame of reference as they actually had to recreate some scenes from those movies.

Anyways, it was so much to digest and I had an awesome time. Going to try to see it again on Tuesday in Dolby Cinema.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-29-19 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-29-19, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
and holy shit, that final hour was fucking awesome. Amazing and exhilarating. Total fan service. My theatre had a big round of applause with all the returning characters coming back, especially Black Panther.
I will probably see this 5 more times before it is out of theaters. Not the whole movie, but that last hour. With A-list, and sneaking in after seeing something else. Something about seeing that on the big screen I think won't be replicated at home.
Old 04-29-19, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts

I've read speculation that "Far From Home" takes place before Infinity War, especially since Feige said it's the last Phase 3 movie.
Old 04-29-19, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

My only comment is...who the hell decided it was a good idea to give Captain Marvel that haircut? Was it solely done for the joke with Rocket? That was a really bad look

Last edited by dex14; 04-29-19 at 07:17 AM. Reason: unnecessary
Old 04-29-19, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker

Well, it's just his friend Ned, MJ and that bully, right? I think Feige confirmed last year that Aunt May didn't die so they will have that to work through in the movie. And having Liz survive the Snapture will give them a nice tidy way to end that relationship.
As long as they address it, I'll be fine...if they ignore it, it's going to bother me.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.