Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 04-28-19, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Inhumans99

Dude, just stop. The last three Marvel films (Endgame inclusive) had tons of “Girl Power” moments and each film has made over a billion dollars! Marvel figured out that girls do not have cooties and let them wear the superhero suits and guess what...it has made them a shit ton of money. ‘My point is if you're going to do a girl power moment, do it BETTER than that.”...ugh, just get over it and accept it.
Stop looking for sexism where there isn't any. I had no issues with any of the previous girl power moments. None. (I love girl power moments and had also stated that Scarlet Witch vs Thanos was a highlight for me.) The others were handled way better than this one and didn't come across like, let's all pose for a poster! There are "pose for the poster" moments in every Avengers film and guess what? They all bug me and take me out of the movie. Nothing at all to do with cooties.
Old 04-28-19, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I also didn't like this movie. Felt too silly and childish! Just seems like producers, director, writers and etc takes the audience intelligence for granted when it comes to no consequence time travel anomalies. Straight up BS!

Something else to ponder, Captain Marvel had 20 something odd years to go and kick Thanos's ass and save the galaxy a ton of grief and misery.

Last edited by ddrknghtrtns; 04-28-19 at 07:01 AM.
Old 04-28-19, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is great:

Fair warming: he makes fun of the girl power moment too so I guess Screen Rant is sexist.

Last edited by Mr. Flix; 04-28-19 at 07:24 AM.
Old 04-28-19, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

The best thing about Endgame is that it's full of characterization and light (except for the big climax) on mindless CGI action. A lot of teenagers and fans who just love the big fight scenes will no doubt dislike the film because of that, but it's honestly the best thing about it. They didn't have to make this movie three hours and give all those characters time to ponder and grieve over the world they lost, but the movie is better for it.
Old 04-28-19, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I’m stuck on: shouldn’t returning the Soul Stone have brought back Black Widow?
Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Maybe that’s how Gamora comes back?

There's more than one instance of the movie telling you that the soul stone sacrifice is irreversible. Hulk even says it, that when he made the snap he tried to bring Natasha back and couldn't. That Gamora won't be back, she's dead. New Gamora with no memories of the Guardians will be the one going forward.
Old 04-28-19, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
This is great:

https://youtu.be/HRqsC4UuY_A

Fair warming: he makes fun of the girl power moment too so I guess Screen Rant is sexist.
Even better than when I posted it 12 posts before you?
Old 04-28-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Even better than when I posted it 12 posts before you?
D'oh! Sorry!
Old 04-28-19, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Something else to ponder, Captain Marvel had 20 something odd years to go and kick Thanos's ass and save the galaxy a ton of grief and misery.
In her defense lightly, the galaxy is impossibly large, and as she suggests there are a lot of planets out there that don't have heroes protecting them. While Thanos has been up to no good for all of Gamora's life, and it does seem like he would rate on a cosmic scale, maybe there were larger threats still for her to contend with? Especially if she didn't know what his ultimate plans were, and he was only your run of the mill cosmic genocide committing madman. Going by the comics (which is cheating) there is no shortage of those folks in Marvel's cosmic scene.
Old 04-28-19, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

EVERY time travel movie has paradoxes and anomalies and nitpicky problems. The entire concept is problematic. Austin Powers handled it best:

Old 04-28-19, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Thor has left New Asgard in the hands of Valkyrie and has joined the Guardians of the Galaxy. They're presumably searching for Gamora, who traveled forward in time from 2014 with Thanos, and therefore has missed out on the past nine years of her relationship with Peter Quill and company. (Remember: Present-day Gamora died in Infinity War when Thanos got the Soul Stone, and she's not coming back.)
I read this, so that's why Gamora is not around. She kicked Quill in the nuts and bolted. The 3rd GOTG film will be subtitled: The Search for Gamora.
Old 04-28-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimaton

Either through space LoJack or “deep space scans”, Rocket would likely be able to track The Benatar, so after CM shows back up on earth in her post credit scene they would’ve had her fly out to rescue any survivors.
Ah yes thank you. That was bugging me a bit.

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Maybe that’s how Gamora comes back?
Originally Posted by Wolf359
There's more than one instance of the movie telling you that the soul stone sacrifice is irreversible. Hulk even says it, that when he made the snap he tried to bring Natasha back and couldn't. That Gamora won't be back, she's dead. New Gamora with no memories of the Guardians will be the one going forward.
Unfortunately OG Gamora and Nat are gone. I guess her film will be more of an origin story.

Stop looking for sexism where there isn't any. I had no issues with any of the previous girl power moments. None. (I love girl power moments and had also stated that Scarlet Witch vs Thanos was a highlight for me.) The others were handled way better than this one and didn't come across like, let's all pose for a poster! There are "pose for the poster" moments in every Avengers film and guess what? They all bug me and take me out of the movie. Nothing at all to do with cooties.
Not saying you’re being sexist but you really don’t like those pose moments?

The Iron Man landing pose?
Them attacking the base in Ultron?
The 360 pan of the team assembling in the original Avengers?!
You don’t like any of those moments? Those are some of my favorite moments in the MCU.
Old 04-28-19, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't have a problem with the "pose" moments. It emphasizes power and that's cool. The only "pose" moment I've always thought was awkward and shoehorned in was during the snow fight at the beginning of Age of Ultron, when they all jump side-ways forward and in slow motion.

I was also thinking about who else gets shafted and is not coming back: Quicksilver and Vision, so Scarlett Witch gets screwed over twice.
Old 04-28-19, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

According to this film's rules regarding time travel, going to the past creates an alternate timeline. How then did Steve end up an old man in the main timeline? Shouldn't he have been missing from the main timeline for good after he left to return the stones?
Old 04-28-19, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I really wanted the old hulk back, oh well.. a good not great wrap up movie for me... agree with a lot of the criticisms here, but I kind of liked the girl power, as I was watching with my three daughters...
Old 04-28-19, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

I understand why there was no post-credits scene and frankly, I think the OG Avengers appearing with their signatures over the end credits MORE than made up for any missing post-credits scene. Seeing each actor with their signature was pretty damn cool!

The biggest laugh from me throughout the whole movie was: “Someone peed in my pants”.
Paul Rudd really killed it in this movie! To me he was the standout, which is pretty impressive considering everyone from every Marvel movie ever was in this!
Old 04-28-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
Not saying you’re being sexist but you really don’t like those pose moments?

The Iron Man landing pose?
Them attacking the base in Ultron?
The 360 pan of the team assembling in the original Avengers?!
You don’t like any of those moments? Those are some of my favorite moments in the MCU.
Some of them are cool, some are awkward and cheesy. The one mentioned by Why So Blue (Avengers 2 when the team freeze-frames in the woods) is definitely one of the cheesy ones.
Old 04-28-19, 10:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I understand why there was no post-credits scene and frankly, I think the OG Avengers appearing with their signatures over the end credits MORE than made up for any missing post-credits scene. Seeing each actor with their signature was pretty damn cool!

The biggest laugh from me throughout the whole movie was: “Someone peed in my pants”.
Paul Rudd really killed it in this movie! To me he was the standout, which is pretty impressive considering everyone from every Marvel movie ever was in this!
agreed, he was the best... also liked the battlefield entrances...
Old 04-28-19, 10:01 AM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I've been reading that one of the reasons of not making Captain Marvel more relevant in this film is because her scenes in Endgame were filmed before her own film and to prevent any confusing or contradictory scenes, CM was put on select spots in the Avengers film.
Old 04-28-19, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Old 04-28-19, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Thor’s character arc is one of the best things in this series. The way he goes from spoiled, entitled, stuck-up rich kid to yelling “I knew it!” with a shit-eating grin on his face when he sees Cap with the hammer is just amazing.

Who would have thunk that three simple words and a smile could so totally complete his entire arc like it did?
Old 04-28-19, 10:12 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
How did Tony get to do a selective snap? I thought the movie was great but also a bit off in certain parts. It did feel like watching 3 one hour movies put together.
How the Hell did Tony get to do a snap at all?! Whatever happened to the line from IW, something like "My lord, you have accomplished something no living being has ever accomplished before, wielding two Infinity Stones." Whatever happened to the fact that Peter Quill, who is half Celestial, needed help from his friends to contain the power of a single Infinity Stone. Whatever happened to the conclusion that the Hulk had to be the one to snap everyone back because his body was the only one that could survive. Someone please explain to me how all of that gets tossed out the window and no one has a problem with it.
Old 04-28-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

The way I look at Captain Marvel not being in this thing more is, well, let's be honest, everyone without her couldn't take out Thanos...she shows up and, with her power, they kill him in the first few moments of the film. She's too strong and could have ended this thing quickly...best to keep her up in space.

Still, does seem weird that Fury waited so long to click his beeper and make her come down...errr, that sounded more erotic than needed.
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler
How the Hell did Tony get to do a snap at all?! Whatever happened to the line from IW, something like "My lord, you have accomplished something no living being has ever accomplished before, wielding two Infinity Stones." Whatever happened to the fact that Peter Quill, who is half Celestial, needed help from his friends to contain the power of a single Infinity Stone. Whatever happened to the conclusion that the Hulk had to be the one to snap everyone back because his body was the only one that could survive. Someone please explain to me how all of that gets tossed out the window and no one has a problem with it.
Well, Tony's death proved what Hulk warned them about: that he was the only one who could survive the gamma rays associated with the gauntlet. Can't explain the other stuff you mentioned.
DVD Talk Hero

The Hulk lost an arm. Tony died. You're acting as if Tony came out of it unscathed. Even Doctor Strange knew Tony would die and only gave him that last minute nod at the very end before the snap.
Old 04-28-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Errr...The Force?

Of course, this has been skittered around a bit before. Like Ancient One and Strange can hold a stone. Hawkeye held one for cripes sakes. Maybe it's only the Power stone that has issues with a little bit of touchy wouchy?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.