Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 04-27-19, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 362 Likes on 262 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

The MCU listens and analyzes it’s own intricacies that I’d imagine the next Spider-Man movie will cover a lot. And then more from other future movies.
Old 04-27-19, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

But im not sure about why Nat and Clint don’t know who Red Skull is.
How would they know? They weren't even alive back when Red Skull was (WWII era and all that from the first Captain America film). Was Red Skull actually in the MCU history books, or covered up by SHIELD/Hydra in the latter years?
Old 04-27-19, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
A problem they need to rectify ASAP with Captain Marvel is after her solo movie I feel no sense of conflict with her. Thor’s a god, yet we’ve seen him deal with his own guilt and family issues; Cap is almost perfect but the sense of loss and being a man out of time give him a melancholy air; etc etc. The CM in Endgame was just a deus ex machina and had almost zero interactions of consequence with the others. I was certainly surprised by how little she had to do in it after all the hyperbole that the Avengers needed her to stop Thanos.
I'm sure they'll clarify more of her in Captain Marvel 2.
Old 04-27-19, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
The MCU listens and analyzes it’s own intricacies that I’d imagine the next Spider-Man movie will cover a lot. And then more from other future movies.
Yeah, because half of Peter's classmates are now five years older than he is.

Old 04-27-19, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 272 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
It wasn't the content of the shot that was the issue, but how it was handled. There was no reason storywise for those women to suddenly assemble like that. Give the girls their due, yes, but find a less obvious/clunky way to do it. My point is if you're going to do a girl power moment, do it BETTER than that.

Dude, just stop. The last three Marvel films (Endgame inclusive) had tons of “Girl Power” moments and each film has made over a billion dollars! Marvel figured out that girls do not have cooties and let them wear the superhero suits and guess what...it has made them a shit ton of money. ‘My point is if you're going to do a girl power moment, do it BETTER than that.”...ugh, just get over it and accept it.
Old 04-27-19, 11:55 PM
Premium Member

Received 676 Likes on 456 Posts

How did Captain Marvel know where Iron Man was or that he needed rescued?
Old 04-27-19, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

When Tony snapped his finger, why did only Thanos and his army disappear? Was Tony somehow able to target them? Also, is Loki still alive and running around with the Tesseract after escaping with it in NY in 2012?
Old 04-28-19, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

I didn't see him, but I guess Howard the Duck was one of the people teleported into the final battle.
Old 04-28-19, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101
I didn't see him, but I guess Howard the Duck was one of the people teleported into the final battle.
Im on my cell phone. Not gonna mess with pic. But google it. He is there. Amazing. Haha.
Old 04-28-19, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I’m going to end up seeing this 5+ times in theaters.
Old 04-28-19, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
When Tony snapped his finger, why did only Thanos and his army disappear? Was Tony somehow able to target them? Also, is Loki still alive and running around with the Tesseract after escaping with it in NY in 2012?
Yes. The snap is an activation of the stones. Tho I previously thought it was only symbolic of the holders desire. I assume he could have snapped his fingers for a mountain of cheeseburgers too.
Old 04-28-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I liked it. But there's a luandry list of problems.

-Cassie Lang has aged 10+ years in 5 years. If she's going to suit up in Ant-Man 3, why didn't they cast someone older to start with?

-Infinity War came out right on the heels of Black Panther. T'Challa and Wakanda were extremely relevant to the plot of Infinity. Endgame came out on the heels of Captain Marvel, and yet Carol Danvers is barely in Endgame and has very little impact on the plot.

-Thanos is one of the great comic book (and screen) villains. Infinity War was his story. Rather than continuing with that brilliant antagonist, who's the baddie in Endgame? Time? Is Time the villain?

-I didn't like Professor Hulk. We're used to looking either at Mark Ruffalo's actual face, or the rage monster. Seeing him converse and emote in all CGI looked awkward. Also, why would Banner want to stay in that body permanently? Wouldn't the ability the transform to his human self be really useful? He's a scientist. Working with those giant hands must be difficult.

-Wasn't there supposed to be a story arc for Bruce Banner/The Hulk through Ragnarok/Infinity/Endgame? We see his final form, but how did he get there? He was still in conflict with himself at the end of Infinity. When did he actually solve the problem?

-Why didn't we get any scenes with Bruce and Natasha? Didn't they have a thing for a couple of movies? Now that he's over the anger problem, what's stopping them? At least when Thor got dumped they threw a line in there instead of leaving a plot thread hanging.

-THEY NEVER EXPLAINED THE TIME TRAVEL.
"This is how time travel worked in a bunch of movies I saw."
"That's not how time travel works."
"........."
"........."
"........................"
"........................"
THEY NEVER.
EXPLAINED.
THE TIME TRAVEL.

-It was really obvious that Natalie Protman's shot was just unused footage from Dark World. Couldn't they get her for ONE DAY and film a couple of lines? If there was some bad blood behind the scenes, why did she go to the premiere?

-It really should have been Hawkeye who died. He's the one who would be more willing to sacrifice himself if it means his family can come back. The only reason to kill Black Widow is to subvert audience expectations. Dramatically, they made the dumber choice.

-There were too many characters on the battlefield. God help us if they actually fold the X-Men into the MCU.

-Why didn't Captain Marvel use the Infinity Gauntlet? I imagine the power wouldn't be enough to destroy her. And wasn't she brought into the MCU because an overpowered character was needed to deal with this situation?

-How does Cap put the Stones back without anyone noticing? Didn't they all have to go through a lot before they actually got the Stones away from their locales? But Cap can put the Stones back in place all by himself?

-After the Unsnap, why is Peter able to just go back to school like nothing happened? We see him hugging Ned in the school hallway. Is school really the first place these two best friends would met after missing the last five years? Isn't there a TON of stuff that needs to be done for a school to suddenly handle double the number of students? Did any of Peter's other friends exist the last five years and age past him?

-Why didn't they have a double funeral for Tony and Natasha? She was one of the original six, but I guess not the one everybody gets sad over.

-That bluscreen funeral shot looked less than great. Would it have been so hard to tell the actors two or three years out, "Save this date. We'll need all of you for just one shot."

-Every hero in Infinity War had something to do and a reason for being there. Characters would show up in Endgame, join the massive battle and that's about it. "That character needs a line. Say the line. Box checked."

-What made Infinity War so great was the unrelenting tension for two and a half hours. The villain is the lead. It was a massive culmination of the biggest superhero franchise ever, AND AT THE SAME TIME it completely subverted the typical superhero narrative.

-I cried five times at all five screenings of Infinity War. I think I got a little misty eyed once or twice during Endgame.

The Russos have made four MCU films. Twice they knocked it out of the park. And twice their follow up was a well made film that trips over its own idea of what it is and what it wants. As The Winter Soldier > Civil War, so is Infinity War > Endgame.

I will see Endgame again. I hope to revise my opinion.

Last edited by Dr. Mantle; 04-28-19 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-28-19, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
probably just pure luck with her flying around.
Old 04-28-19, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 918 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

Even if they knew him in historical context, why would they associate that with a floating spirit-demon-guide on an alien planet which they time-traveled to?
yeah that’s a good point.

Looks like I may be the only one with this gripe (then I’ll finally talk positive) ... Pepper Potts as a superhero. Ugggghhh. Why was that shoehorned in? I know it happens in the comics and was a nod, but it was way out of place here.

Ok, positive ... I am not a Mark Ruffalo Hulk fan, and I thought the “smart Hulk” thing was going to suck ... but, for the most part I dug it. Him “smashing” at the Battle of New York was hysterical. I also really enjoyed his scene with The Ancient One.

I honestly thought Hawkeye was going to be able to get the Soul Stone without either one sacrificing him/herself. He had already lost his family, the thing he loved most.

Big Thorbowski ... FINALLY! A superhero that looks like me! (OK, I stole that. A guy shouted it out in my screening.)

Did anybody else think “Aquaman” with New Asgard?

The beginning was brilliant and one of the biggest gut punches in the MCU.

Will see it again in theaters and will buy it in home video, but, unlike almost all of the rest of the MCU, I do not see myself revisiting it very often. 2.5 out of 5 is a bit harsh, but 3 out of 5 seems too generous.

Wow. That is pretty harsh. Care to elaborate? Or is it mainly because of the points you bring up.

Oh man I loved Potts in the armor. It has been hinted at in IM3 and earlier in endgame so I don’t think it’s quite as sudden as you think.
Old 04-28-19, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
-Cassie Lang has aged 10+ years in 5 years. If she's going to suit up in Ant-Man 3, why didn't they cast someone older to start with?
The new actress for Cassie is 6 years and 5 months older than the previous actress.
Old 04-28-19, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HRqsC4UuY_A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>...
Old 04-28-19, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts

For those who think it was dumb to have Pepper in a suit of armor, not only had it been done before, but Tony brought up his idea of wanting to put a suit of armor around the world again in this movie. That’s his go-to move for making something safe, it would only make sense to make one for his wife.
Old 04-28-19, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^wow that was super quick. And hilarious. I love his stuff. I think he covered pretty much all of the concerns we’ve brought up.
Old 04-28-19, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thinking on Thorbowski more it is played for laughs but again like a lot of things in this movie it goes deeper than that. He has certainly had the most tragic character arc out of all the Avengers. He’s lost his mother, girlfriend, father, friend, brother and home. His fatness is a manifestation of dealing with the grief. It also gives his meeting with his mother just a little bit more meaning.
Old 04-28-19, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts

This was just not a movie for me. It is a movie for people that love the Marvel movies , and are really invested in these characters I am not that person. I have disliked several of the movies, mostly just Lukewarm on the others but loved GOTG and Thor 3, the lightest of all the movies and liked the first avengers movie quite a bit.

For me it just didn't work. I found the vast majority of it sort of boring. Unlike a lot of people it didn't really feel epic to me, the last battle was not well thought out in my view.

I will give it credit that it's the first time Captain America worked for me, and the Ancient One Hulk bit was cool.

That said. they broke their own rules for the infinity stones and time travel which they went out of their way to detail with exposition

Thanos is still mostly dumb and not as threatening as he should be.

I think they should have shown something on how people dealt with everyone coming back.

Having said that fi\or those that love these characters it was very fan fiction wish fulfillment, so I can see why it works for them.

But not me. Not a movie I'll revisit or particularly remember.

Last edited by johnnysd; 04-28-19 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-28-19, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by csant
probably just pure luck with her flying around.
Originally Posted by The Cow
Either through space LoJack or “deep space scans”, Rocket would likely be able to track The Benatar, so after CM shows back up on earth in her post credit scene they would’ve had her fly out to rescue any survivors.
Old 04-28-19, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
For those who think it was dumb to have Pepper in a suit of armor, not only had it been done before, but Tony brought up his idea of wanting to put a suit of armor around the world again in this movie. That’s his go-to move for making something safe, it would only make sense to make one for his wife.
Plus he said to his daughter “your mother never wears anything I get her” or something like that. She saved his life in Iron Man 3 with the suit.
Old 04-28-19, 03:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hell, I didn’t even think of that angle. That’s awesome.

I’m stuck on: shouldn’t returning the Soul Stone have brought back Black Widow?
Maybe that’s how Gamora comes back?
Old 04-28-19, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Cap still has the better ass.
Not even Cap M can compete with the Ass of America.
Old 04-28-19, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.