Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 05:41 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I read somewhere that the deal with Sony let them use Spider-Man in five movies. Civil,War, Homecoming, Infinity War, Endgame, and Far From Home fulfill that contract.

If that’s true, then, after the success of Venom, Sony might decide to keep Spider-Man in their own stable instead of farming him out to Marvel Studios again.
I posted after this with reference to 3 appearances and 3 solo.
Old 04-27-19, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

My guess is the next Avenger movie will be a Flashpoint which reboots the entire MCU. By that time all the remaining actors contract should expire and the current MCU will be in its final phase.
Old 04-27-19, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
My guess is the next Avenger movie will be a Flashpoint which reboots the entire MCU. By that time all the remaining actors contract should expire and the current MCU will be in its final phase.
No way they’re going to give up what they’ve built with a reset like that. They’ll keep going with new characters in this current universe.
Old 04-27-19, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
My only gripe is that Cap’s actions likely erased Sharon Carter from existence.
Other than that, perfect movie, although I’m a little confused about the timeline. Is it still 5 years later with the world remembering 50% of people disappearing? It would have made more sense to reset all that, but that would have erased Stark’s daughter.
It would have been a cop out and really cheesy if hey reset and erased everything that happened in the last two movies. This way it has a real impact on the universe.

It really does pose interesting question. Can you imagine all the people that would have committed suicide because they lost their loved ones only for their loved ones to come back and realize the truth? Lots of interesting material to farm.
Old 04-27-19, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
My only gripe is that Cap’s actions likely erased Sharon Carter from existence.
Other than that, perfect movie, although I’m a little confused about the timeline. Is it still 5 years later with the world remembering 50% of people disappearing? It would have made more sense to reset all that, but that would have erased Stark’s daughter.
Why would it erase Sharon? She's Peggy's niece, not her daughter or granddaughter.
Old 04-27-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14

I posted after this with reference to 3 appearances and 3 solo.
Five is the number I keep seeing, like here: https://www.cbr.com/reasons-spider-m...ys-leaves-mcu/

I think it might be interesting if Marvel and Sony could cut some kind of deal that allowed Marvel to keep Peter Parker and Spider-Man in the MCU, while Sony continued making villain-centric films that could still guest star the Spider-Man character voiced by Tom Holland while still taking place in the MCU. Sinister Six. Kraven’s Last Hunt. Such films would be told from the villain’s point of view, guest-starring Spider-Man while the Spider-Man movies featuring Peter Parker stayed with Marvel Studios.

Not sure how they would handle Venom in that case; the 2018 Venom movie probably wouldn’t fit in the MCU and they would likely need to do some kind of reboot there or bring in Carnage.
Old 04-27-19, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman

No way they’re going to give up what they’ve built with a reset like that. They’ll keep going with new characters in this current universe.
The two interesting characters are dead! Time to reboot and introduce the FF, Wolverine, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Namor, Dr Doom, an etc.
Old 04-27-19, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
The two interesting characters are dead! Time to reboot and introduce the FF, Wolverine, Silver Surfer, Galactus, Namor, Dr Doom, an etc.
They aren’t going to “reboot” - those characters can come in to this world now.
Old 04-27-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 247 Likes on 184 Posts

Was the earthquake in the ocean something to do with Namor possibly?
Old 04-27-19, 09:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

So many callbacks and nods to other movies and any references to BTTF are awesome in my book. “So, Back to the Future is a bunch of bullshit?!?”

Timeline question: what we see at the end with Old Cap must be a very similar timeline (since the end of the movie from our perspective on the “prime timeline” didn’t drastically change), that must mean “time travel Cap” must have been hiding out from 1945 and on right? Possibly even assisting Carter in all her adventures (while remaining out of sight)? Yet they own a home together. And in that timeline, Loki makes off with the Tesseract in 1970, unless Cap stops him from stealing it. But if he stops Loki, then presumably IM, Cap and Ant-Man are successful with the heist in 2012.

Seems like it would have made more sense for Cap to grow old in an alternate timeline...and then quantum jump back to the prime timeline...not just show up on the bench.

Gah...their time travel rules were sort of making sense until Old Cap showed up on the bench...help! ha.
Old 04-27-19, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

Avengers: Endgame (PG-13) - Just about the most perfect way to wrap up a decade-long 22-film saga.

Be warned. If you have been following this Marvel film series since Robert Downey Jr.’s Tony Stark first publicly proclaimed “I am Iron Man”, and have faithfully watched each of the 20+ films through last year’s amazing “Avengers: Infinity Wars”, prepare yourself. “Avengers: Endgame” will have you crying, laughing, cheering, fist-pumping, crying some more, going “awwwww”, then going “AWESOME”, gasping for air, shouting “Oh, yeah!” followed by “That’s so cool” and “Is that….? Is that…?”, then doing it all over again. “Avengers: Endgame” will go down in history as the biggest and best film story wrap-up of all times. All I can say is - “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” has some big shoes to fill now.

I PROMISED NO SPOILERS, so here goes: Picking up days after the SNAP that wiped half of all life from existence, the remaining Avengers, who include Captain America (Chris Evans), Thor (Chris Hemsworth), Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) , Iron Man and Iron Patriot (Don Cheadle), Nebula (Karen Gillan), Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) and the very precious Rocket (Bradley Cooper), who’s learned just how much family means to him, are doing their best to comprehend the horror and defeat at Thanos’ gauntleted hand. Captain Marvel (Brie Larson) supplements the group, and promises to provide assistance as she can while taking care of the rest of the universe. With no hope and no other apparent direction to go, each member of the Avengers must try to move on as best they can.

AND THAT’S WHERE I AM STOPPING. What I’ve described is just the first 20 minutes or so, and I haven’t told you everything or anything, really, that hasn’t been in trailers or on TV. Yes, the remaining Avengers eventually form a plan that involves snazzy new white suits. Yes, we know Scott Lang aka Ant-Man (Paul Rudd) shows up.

The last two and a half hours is nostalgia overload, sweetened with laughs, leavened with somber moments and situations, punctuated by action, explosions, fights, sight gags, surprising and welcome cameos, heartfelt tears, crazy ideas that just might work, a few “holy cow, they went there” moments and more. And the last hour will have you glued to your seat, clutching your popcorn, then spilling it on your neighbor as you stand and cheer. There are so many surprises during the final battle that you start expecting them, but that doesn’t stop you from cheering when it happens anyway.

And as Mrs. Orbi-Wan told me as we were leaving the theater, “the ending was exactly what I was hoping it would be” in reference to one of the primary characters. That’s about as spoilery as I will get.

We have never seen anything quite like Avengers: Endgame before. How many studios can say they set out to release nearly two dozen films (aside from perhaps Star Wars) over the period of a decade, where beloved characters and plot details generally mesh into one outstanding, cohesive whole, that you won’t mind revisiting from time to time? Avengers: Endgame is a glorious feat, and guess what - it’s not even the final film of Phase Three of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. That honor goes to Spiderman: Far From Home, which opens this summer. I am giving Avengers: Endgame the highly coveted 5 out of 5 light sabers. I seriously cannot think of how things could have ended in a better way!

NOTES FOR PARENTS (No Spoilers): Avengers: Endgame is rated PG-13 for intense sci-fi action violence, emotional and thematic material. A few sh**”, G**d***, and son-of-a-b**** are heard, along with the word a** several times. The level of comic-book and sci-fi violence is on par with pretty much every previous Marvel movie before Endgame, but because of the stakes and emotional content, some actions and choices will hit viewers a bit more personally.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENE: As credits begin to roll, we get nice video montages of actors names and the characters they played over the past 22 films. There are no mid- or after-credit scenes, although there is an interesting audio stinger at the very end, but not indicative of anything new.

LIKE and SHARE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES.

Orb-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 04-27-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

This movie is a lot to digest. It was pretty masterful at referencing everything that came before it. As many of the reviews I've seen, I completely agree that it takes way to long to get going. Yes, we need to see the impact of this on everyone, but I think it dwelled far to long on it all.

I didn't bother to read a single post in here, but did someone address the issue with Spider-Man? If he's gone 5 years, all his friends who were in high school with him are essentially out of high school now. If so, how does that work for the new movie, which appears to be a high school trip?

Also, I was confused who one person was. In the memorial thing where they were showing everyone, panning backwards. There was a teenager boy standing there. I'm not sure if I just didn't look right away and it was Peter Parker or what, but I didn't recognize the kid.

Edit: I see someone above said it was the IM3 kid. Thank god. I was like who the hell was that guy?

Last edited by Deftones; 04-27-19 at 09:57 AM.
Old 04-27-19, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 826 Likes on 547 Posts

Great ending to an excellent run of movies. I really can’t wait to see where things go from here.
i really enjoyed seeing Korg and CA wielding Mjolnir. I kinda missed old Hulk and thought the girl power/metoo thing was super forced.
It pretty much ended how I figured, but I thought Steve would die and Tony would retire.
Old 04-27-19, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I was thinking there would be a stronger reset. Especially when Tilda Swintons character talked about alternate timelines. I kind of thought everyone would stay dusted and we would end in an alternate timeline.

It is obvious Thor is now part of the Guardians movies. We have a new Captain America. Nothing new with Black Panther. No more Iron Man.

It is great that they kept everything going. Some movies can’t make it past a single sequel.
Old 04-27-19, 10:06 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
This movie is a lot to digest. It was pretty masterful at referencing everything that came before it. As many of the reviews I've seen, I completely agree that it takes way to long to get going. Yes, we need to see the impact of this on everyone, but I think it dwelled far to long on it all.

I didn't bother to read a single post in here, but did someone address the issue with Spider-Man? If he's gone 5 years, all his friends who were in high school with him are essentially out of high school now. If so, how does that work for the new movie, which appears to be a high school trip?

Also, I was confused who one person was. In the memorial thing where they were showing everyone, panning backwards. There was a teenager boy standing there. I'm not sure if I just didn't look right away and it was Peter Parker or what, but I didn't recognize the kid.

Edit: I see someone above said it was the IM3 kid. Thank god. I was like who the hell was that guy?
Yea. The age with high school kids has been brought up. We’ll see if they explain in FFH. Most likely, for simplicity, all the core kids were dusted too.
Old 04-27-19, 10:16 AM

Oh yeah so Thanos goes through the effort to go to Nidavellir so Eitri can forge a gauntlet that’s strong enough to harness the power of the stones, but Tony and company just whip one up out of Iron Man parts.
Old 04-27-19, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Oh yeah so Thanos goes through the effort to go to Nidavellir so Eitri can forge a gauntlet that’s strong enough to harness the power of the stones, but Tony and company just whip one up out of Iron Man parts.
if we are gonna nitpick, Tony figures out time travel pretty quick too.
Old 04-27-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deftones
For me this is what sets apart the MCU especially IW and EG is that even though these are huge spectacle summer tent pole films that they still take the time for these more quiet character developing moments. Just brilliant. As someone brought up before even nebula playing paper football with Tony and the fact that she won and how that small act is significant to her character’s journey is just amazing. I absolutely love those small moments especially in such a big and busy movie.
Old 04-27-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Tony can do with technology what Eitri can do with magic. I’m fine with that.
Old 04-27-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Old 04-27-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

I am that cool kid who has no interest in seeing this movie. I haven't seen any of the Marvel films since the first Ant-Man.
Old 04-27-19, 11:40 AM

You guys are right. It was a great film and an unnecessary nitpick. It made me forget there was a Star Wars entry coming out this year. That’s really something. Even though it’s three hours, I’ll watch it again and again.
Old 04-27-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Oh, and there was a ton of scenes from the trailers that were not in the final film. Black Widow target practicing, etc.
Old 04-27-19, 12:00 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Was the earthquake in the ocean something to do with Namor possibly?
Mentioned that in my previous post from yesterday and I got a feeling it is. He can also tie in to the whole mutants coming to MCU thing.
Old 04-27-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Pretty much the perfect capper to the MCU in my book. Just amazing how these films have managed to stay so consistently good even twenty-two films in. I really wouldn’t change anything about it.

I really didn’t expect Black Widow’s death, but then again considering that they needed to get the stones back the soul stone required a sacrifice. That’s where I was figuring either Cap or Iron Man would have died, but I get that it was more significant having Tony die during battle with Thanos saving the day one more time.

I liked how Cap got a happy ending by getting to live out his life rather than being the man out of time who lost the love of his life. That seemed fitting instead of having him die as well. I sort of expected him to give the shield and mantle of Cap to Bucky over Sam, but I get that they’re probably going to be pushing for more diversity going forward.

I would imagine Tony’s daughter becomes a hero at some point and I know Scott’s daughter Cassie eventually is Stinger/Ant-Girl.

Curious what the future of the MCU looks like.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.