Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 08:43 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I had no issue with the Capt Marvel stuff. I do feel her battle with Thanos could have been better/longer but I would have liked to have seen more final battle stuff anyway.

Is it me but did Thanos w/o the stones seem more powerful in this than in IW? I mean he was definitely more the warrior in this than the I'll just use a stone special to mess you up guy.

LOVED ALL of the throwbacks to the other movies. Out side of Cap getting the hammer that may truly be my favorite parts of the movie.

Also agree that it was great seeing all the other characters back for this as well. Don't care if Natalie was old footage or not but still good to see the character nodded to here. Thor was hilarious but he should have had a moment where he flipped back to THOR and not Thorbowski. It got a little old by the end.

Gamora was handled fine, how the hell else are they going to do it. Besides this will allow for more weird interactions/get to know you stuff in further GOTG movies. It 100% reminds of Farscape and the two Crichtons stuff after one died.

100% fine with how Tony went out and I knew exactly what was going to happen when Dr Strange held up the 1 finger

Things I didn't like/have issue with:

Timeline continuity issues - this is ALWAYS a problem in EVERY time travel movie. Just accept it and move on is all you can do so I have.

Stones - WTF how is that our regular people/heroes are handling the stones directly? I mean the whole point of the GOTG was that regular people can't touch the stones yet not only did Hulk just have one in his hand but so did Hawkeye (yes I know Hulk is Hulk but Hawkeye come on man).

Hawkeye - he is a bow and arrow guy - not enough bow and arrow stuff for me. I did like his dark turn and of course that clearly set everyone up for it to be him at Vormir so pretty interesting they flipped it and went BW. I don't get anyone saying BW's death wasn't given time/context. I mean what about the entire set of scenes after they come back. What about the part at the end when Hawkeye talks about her knowing they succeeded. Here is the thing BW's death did not have the same meaning as IM's death plain and simple. Theater was upset/shock with BW dying but damn if pretty much everyone wasn't balling when IM died. I also think they handled his death very well and I agree the parts with him and his dad were great.

Falcon - new Cap ok I get it but not 100% sold yet but then again Cap is Chris Evans/Steve Rogers and that's the only way I see it.

There may be some other minor quibbles but truth be told I am not sure they could have done any better with the film therefore I would say I can't really complain about it. Will I see it as much as the other films or as much as IW ... nope. This one is an emotional roller coaster and just outright fun like the rest. My favorite MCU film will still be the first Avengers followed extremely closely by IM1/Winter Soldier/Civil War. End Game may be the best of the bunch for what it does but that doesn't mean that its one I feel like watching every time its on the TV (unlike the other 4 movies I just mentioned).

I do like someone's reference to Return of the King. ROK had so much to finish up and complete and it did very well however its not a movie I really feel like rewatching much vs FOTR or even TTT. I think End Game is very much the ROTK of the MCU. It had a lot of stories and details to wrap up and they did a great job of doing it.

Well done Marvel, you had me at I'm Iron Man.
Old 04-26-19, 08:46 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Time travel movies will do that to you. My question is why were the finger snap deaths reversible but the others were not? It was like anyone killed by the gauntlet didn't die by legitimate means or something. Am I forgetting some explanation?
I'm going to go with that those deaths (BW & Gamora) weren't killed by the stones/snap thus they cannot be reversed. If all deaths could be reversed that would mean that even those species that Thanos slaughtered before going on the stone quest would be brought back as well. So for me only stone (i.e. ash) deaths could be reversed.

Old 04-26-19, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman

In the credits there is someone that is credited as a Stan Lee stand in. So unfortunately I don't think they filmed his cameo for this movie. So it was a creative way for him to still have a cameo even if it's execution was pretty terrible.
A stand in just sits there while the production sets up the shots, lights, etc. so the talent doesn't have to sit there for hours. There are also credited stand-ins for Chris Evans, Scar Jo, etc. Does that mean they didn't film their parts either?
Old 04-26-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
One mild disappointment for me was Stan Lee’s cameo. It was terrible (Stan was never a hippie!) and almost looked like he was CGI.
It took place in the 70s, they obviously de-aged him like everyone else.
Old 04-26-19, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by GCS
Hawkeye - he is a bow and arrow guy - not enough bow and arrow stuff for me. I did like his dark turn and of course that clearly set everyone up for it to be him at Vormir so pretty interesting they flipped it and went BW. I don't get anyone saying BW's death wasn't given time/context. I mean what about the entire set of scenes after they come back. What about the part at the end when Hawkeye talks about her knowing they succeeded. Here is the thing BW's death did not have the same meaning as IM's death plain and simple. Theater was upset/shock with BW dying but damn if pretty much everyone wasn't balling when IM died. I also think they handled his death very well and I agree the parts with him and his dad were great.
If I'm not mistaken his character in Endgame is a direct nod to him as the character of Ronin in the Comics, down to the Costume/Color Scheme & Weapon Choice.

The story behind Hawkeye being Ronin is different in the Comics but I'm sure the Writers found it easy/convenient to plop it into this film as Hawkeye's reaction to grief.
Old 04-26-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by GCS
I'm going to go with that those deaths (BW & Gamora) weren't killed by the stones/snap thus they cannot be reversed. If all deaths could be reversed that would mean that even those species that Thanos slaughtered before going on the stone quest would be brought back as well. So for me only stone (i.e. ash) deaths could be reversed.
Yes I agree that's what happened in the movie. It just doesn't make any sense to me and I was wondering if there was an explanation I missed.
Old 04-26-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

So Guardians 3, The Search for Gamora?
Old 04-26-19, 10:37 AM

Y
In the credits there is someone that is credited as a Stan Lee stand in. So unfortunately I don't think they filmed his cameo for this movie. So it was a creative way for him to still have a cameo even if it's execution was pretty terrible.
Stan was on set and filmed the cameo, but they obviously de-aged him. There were several articles written about it. He actually filmed this cameo before the one in Captain Marvel.
Old 04-26-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

I personally hated the fact that Sam is chosen over Bucky to carry the shield, considering we've been teased throughout this film series that Bucky could potentially take up the mantle.

No funeral for at Nat? Seriously?

The girl power scene took me completely out of the battle. It was done so much better in Infinity War (The "She's not alone" scene and Wanda holding her own against Thanos).

The paradoxes piss me off and they went out of their way to establish their "own rules" .

No rematch between Thanos and Hulk.

I guess Vision is dead-dead... at least until the Wanda and Vision Show on Disney+
Old 04-26-19, 10:52 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Good superhero fare, but sorta cloying and predictable imho. The first half seemed a bit slow, and the time travel story/explanations were a bit silly. I love all the MCU, and this is solidly in the middle of the pack for me. Some of the best humor in the series so far, and the most tears.
Old 04-26-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
I guess Vision is dead-dead... at least until the Wanda and Vision Show on Disney+
I take it to mean that since Shuri went out with the snap before finishing the cloned soul stone, she can now go back and restore it thereby bringing Vision back.

5 years later and Ned is still in high school?

I didn't need to see the final scene with Steve and Peggy. It was already implied when he saw her at the base while he and Tony stealing the Tessaract and the Pym juice. I would rather have it open that there could be Agent Carter/Cap adventures to be filmed.

Wanda and Carol can both go toe to toe against Thanos, but Thor, Cap and IM have to team up?
Old 04-26-19, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I assumed that he was snapped too.
Old 04-26-19, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I assumed that he was snapped too.
Sounds like his entire circle of friends were snapped. I guess whatever works for the story.

That seems to be how things are done in the MCU.
Old 04-26-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

How did Tony get to do a selective snap? I thought the movie was great but also a bit off in certain parts. It did feel like watching 3 one hour movies put together.
Old 04-26-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
How did Tony get to do a selective snap? I thought the movie was great but also a bit off in certain parts. It did feel like watching 3 one hour movies put together.
I think the snap works along the same lines as a Wish from a genie's bottle. It wasn't really explained, but that what I sort of understood when Tony told Banner to undo the Thanos snap, but not the last 5 years.
Old 04-26-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
It's whatever is in the mind of the wearer when they make the snap. Thanos says his next snap would kill everything so it can be whatever.
Old 04-26-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Wanda and Carol can both go toe to toe against Thanos, but Thor, Cap and IM have to team up?
Carol is already the strongest of all of them and Wanda's magic was the only thing that could destroy an Infinity Stone. So yeah, that checks out.
Old 04-26-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
Carol is already the strongest of all of them and Wanda's magic was the only thing that could destroy an Infinity Stone. So yeah, that checks out.
...and Thor can be OP or not depending on the writers. Look at end of Ragnarock versus the beginning of IW.
Old 04-26-19, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 185 Posts

Ned got left behind ... A LOT. Let's try not to be dicks about it k?
Old 04-26-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Cap went toe-to-toe with him for a while, though he eventually was beat down. Thor had some moments one-on-one as well.
Old 04-26-19, 11:46 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

On your left.
Old 04-26-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
That looked an awful lot like repurposed Dark World footage to me. The fact that she doesn't say anything and they sort of awkwardly edit around her makes it pretty obvious to me she wasn't actually on set.

She was listed in the credits so she got paid which I suspect is all that matters.
Old 04-26-19, 12:19 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I was more surprised she showed up to the premiere, TBH.
Old 04-26-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. As satisfying as this movie is there are even more moments they could have put in. However, for Cap and Bucky I think their moment is subtly there. I watched a youtube video and agree that I think Cap tells Bucky his plan ahead of time. And he does seem to play it that way. So their goodbye is a lot more significant that way. Plus they do have that throwback line to when Bucky left for WWII which was nice as well.
Seeing it the second time I realize I totally missed Bucky saying "I'll miss you" or something, so it is pretty clear that Bucky knows what Cap is planning to do and that they had their fuller conversation off screen. That just flew over my head the first time, and while it still feels a little odd for them not to have a bigger moment, they certainly do have a moment so I have to walk back my nit-pick.

I thought they actually handled her pretty well. Yeah I would have rather had her have more interactions with the Avengers but at the same time it was nice that they treated her as the new girl and didn't give her too much screen time and instead focused on the OG Avengers. With Feige saying she will be taking over as the leader and such I was afraid they would dedicate too much screen time on her. Also yeah she is a bit of a Deus Ex Machina so it will be interesting to see what they do with her character after this.
Yeah, there is give and take there, as I wouldn't have wanted her to take more time away from the OG Avengers, but I did long for a bit more. Like the next 10 minutes after the post-credits scene from Ms Marvel is what I wanted....which would grind this movie to a halt, so what do I know? I just don't see how they will work Carol in as the new leader who is around with her being so ludicrously powerful. She really does have that cosmic scale of power, so it will be interesting to see how they juggle having her around (if they do). They already have some heavy hitters in Scarlett Witch and Thor, but Marvel blows them out of the water.

Actually now that I think of it Hulk was really robbed because he didn't even show up for IW after getting his ass handed to him in the first opening scene.
Second viewing really shows that Savage/Incredible Hulk is totally under-served here. He doesn't really get buckwild in this movie at all, which sucks for me as I love how they have Hulk do that (Hulk in NY from Avengers 1 is my shit!). But Smart Hulk was a good time. I do feel like we missed that moment of Hulk not being scared anymore, because even though I'm calling this Smart Hulk, it really does feel like Bruce driving around in Hulk's body, with the Hulk not really having any say in the matter. It doesn't feel like a cohabitation at all, or like from Ragnorok with Hulk being in control when in Hulk-mode.

Yeah I agree. I don't think I'm overstating this to say that this is cinema history. There will never be a movie like this ever again. To see 10 years and 22 movies wrapped up so well and paid off so well, especially emotionally, is something we will never see again. Yeah eventually they'll bring the fantastic 4 in the fold as well as new versions of the X-Men but it will never reach the level of greatness that this franchise achieved.
See, I won't say they won't ever reach this level of greatness again, because they might. Or someone else may. But to me this is like how Star Wars, all these years later is still Star Wars. Or to use another comicbook movie example, we are seeing shit on screen now that people in the 70s couldn't fathom, yet Superman is still Superman and was the first movie that made a few generations of kids believe a man could fly. And the first Avengers was the first movie that brought all these bespoke characters together to form something greater. So to me Endgame is like that, but in some ways moreso. Maybe this movie gets outdone in some way down the line, but no movie will ever be able to say they did this thing first other than Endgame.
Old 04-26-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
So after sleeping on it, I can articulate some thoughts now. This was Caps movie thru and thru, and I loved that. I give RDJ all the credit for helping jump start this, but I credit Evans for keeping it going. His casting is as perfect as Reeve Superman.

I am also trying to figure out Spider-Mans timeline now. Half his classmates lives and went to college, so where is he now? Still in HS? Faking college? Guess we will find out soon.

The time travel scenes were great tho, especially the battle for NY. Great call back to the recent comics with Cap saying Hail Hydra.

I teared up when I heard Avengers Assemble. The biggest cheers of the sold out crowd were Cap first getting Thor's hammer, Assemble, Black Panther coming thru the portal, and a huge cheer for Spider-Man swinging out. It's great how insanely popular he still is.

What an amazing feet Marvel and Disney have pulled off.
Pretty much same as my theater. Except Stan Lee also got cheers, as well as the Hail Hydra scene, Doctor Strange appearing, and Pepper showing up in a suit. Someone in my theater also yelled “Wakanda forever” when BP showed up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.