Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by tanman
Are people really that mad that there isn't a end credit's scene? I know it's somewhat of a tradition but what would they throw in there? Teasing the next Spider-Man movie with mysterio putting on a helmet? Morgan Stark eating a cheesburger? The last 20 mins of the movie is like one big end credits scene. Plus anything they throw in there wouldn't fit at all and would distract from the end of the movie. People are that petty to feel like they were "tricked" into watching the credits?

I guess I'm the only "sucker" that likes to stay until the last of the credits roll.
If there is a movie not to have one, it was either Infinity War or this one. I found it fitting. And yeah, this wasn't the time to be teasing the next thing, just let this one sit for a minute.

If they had one what it would have been was Steve dancing with Peggy, and honestly I'm glad they just had that in the movie proper.
Old 04-26-19, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by The Antipodean

This is a movie about a giant purple guy with magic rocks and a raccoon using time travel to bop around the cosmos.

I get that and it's not even about them being female. Place a pointy hat on half of the people on the battlefield and the chances of ten people with pointy hats and no one else coming together in that moment is pretty low and those odds only even align if half the people on the battlefield were female which I don't think they were so it's even more unlikely.

Whatever. Not arguing this point anymore because I'm not arguing from a place of being offended (I actually thought the scene played out ok despite being kinda cheesy) in any way and those who will argue it mostly will be.
Old 04-26-19, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts

I found out before the movie there was no end credits scene. I enjoyed leaving right away and being able to easily escape a theater that was packed full for a 10pm showing. There were no parking spaces left. People were parking in the field across the street. I chuckled when my wife and I were joined by maybe 6-7 people after the movie ended. Everyone else just sat there.
Old 04-26-19, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

It's not often we get a movie with poll results so high.
Old 04-26-19, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 400 Likes on 300 Posts

I didn’t read the whole thread so I’m not sure if it was mentioned already but the scene with Cap A and Thor’s hammer was probably a nod to Ultron when Thor was seeing who could pick it up and Cap A was the only one that moved it even a little bit. He even caused Thor to make an “oh shit” face.
Old 04-26-19, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the scene with Tony and Nebula playing finger football. When she won she acted shocked and it took me back to when she said Thanos used to pit her and Gamora against each other and that she never won. I wonder if Nebula ever won at anything before that.
Old 04-26-19, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

One mild disappointment for me was Stan Lee’s cameo. It was terrible (Stan was never a hippie!) and almost looked like he was CGI. The one in Spider-Verse felt like a much more fitting farewell. Wonder if they did one for Far From Home or that was it. Excelsior.
Old 04-26-19, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Having slept on it now, the paradox issues bother me even more, am I the only one?! It wouldn't be as bad if they hadn't been very clear about their need to preserve the single timeline by return each stone to the exact moment from which it was taken, thus preserving their own past. By the end of the movie, they had radically changed the past, effectively preventing the original snap from ever happening. This is even worse than if they had traveled into the past and created a divergent timeline, the only possible explanation is that they traveled into some divergent past. Don't get me wrong, I still loved this movie, but it is far from flawless, and someone will have to come up with a damn good explanation to satisfy me on the time problem.
Old 04-26-19, 06:40 AM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
So I'm assuming GOTG3 will somehow get Quill and Gamora back together. Also, nothing in this movie really tells us whether or not Far From Home will happen before or after this.
It's already been said FFH takes place after.

My question about that though is... we're now 5 years into the future... and you just go back to school like its all ok? What about the kids in his class that weren't dusted? Did they just go on with school. I guess all the core friends that are in FFH were dusted and come back. But then the year is 5 years later, how old do you say you are!?!?!?
Old 04-26-19, 06:41 AM

So....the most important hero in the whole movie for which the return of those dusted would NEVER have happened.

.....is a rat?

Is his name Mickey?
Yea, that was pretty shitty. A rat hits the switch? That's how he comes back. I mean... wow. A little more thought could've been put into that and a little less deus ex machina.
Old 04-26-19, 06:46 AM

• The biggest surprise in the entire movie
    Spoiler:
    They got Natalie Portman to come back?!!
Originally Posted by rocket1312
That looked an awful lot like repurposed Dark World footage to me. The fact that she doesn't say anything and they sort of awkwardly edit around her makes it pretty obvious to me she wasn't actually on set.
Yup. Seemed like they just used archival footage to me. And went out of the way to not have more of her in the scene.
Old 04-26-19, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

So what did Sam Jackson do to piss off Feige and the Russos? I know these things have more to do with schedules and contracts and what have you than we'd like to believe, but Fury only getting a post credits tag and a silent cameo over the course of 5+ hours is kind of a bummer. I say that as someone who doesn't even really love the character. Just feels like his story was left completely hanging after Ultron. I guess there could be future plans for the character, but I'm assuming not.
He's in Spider-Man in 2 months.
Old 04-26-19, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

So after sleeping on it, I can articulate some thoughts now. This was Caps movie thru and thru, and I loved that. I give RDJ all the credit for helping jump start this, but I credit Evans for keeping it going. His casting is as perfect as Reeve Superman.

I am also trying to figure out Spider-Mans timeline now. Half his classmates lives and went to college, so where is he now? Still in HS? Faking college? Guess we will find out soon.

The time travel scenes were great tho, especially the battle for NY. Great call back to the recent comics with Cap saying Hail Hydra.

I teared up when I heard Avengers Assemble. The biggest cheers of the sold out crowd were Cap first getting Thor's hammer, Assemble, Black Panther coming thru the portal, and a huge cheer for Spider-Man swinging out. It's great how insanely popular he still is.

What an amazing feet Marvel and Disney have pulled off.
Old 04-26-19, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
how old do you say you are!?!?!?
In writing I’m guessing you would add an asterisk or some such mark after your age or dob to signify if you were snapped for all sorts of record purposes.

im sure a shorthand term like being 29 snapped or whatever would become common. I’m sure they’ll address it. The ending wrapped up almost everything for the characters but didn’t go into reintegrating people at all.
Old 04-26-19, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

That looked an awful lot like repurposed Dark World footage to me. The fact that she doesn't say anything and they sort of awkwardly edit around her makes it pretty obvious to me she wasn't actually on set.
So I thought that but she gets a screen credit? Anyone know what the guild rules are?
Old 04-26-19, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This video kind of explains Steve Roger's time traveling. I think it's a satisfactory explanation.

Old 04-26-19, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I liked Captain Marvel in her own movie on here she just felt out of place and weird. I mean, I guess I'm cool with the explanation they gave for her being missing and all. But her appearance at the end was blah. I kinda felt like she should've had a longer fight with Thanos.
Old 04-26-19, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by boredsilly
My most minor of gripes.

1. I know the movie was already long, but it just felt odd for Cap and Bucky not to have a moment together at the end. Those two characters feel so tied together to me, and for them not to say a goodbye of sorts (Steve isn't dead, but this is the end for him) just seemed weird. Or maybe that is just me feeling for all of the Cap/Bucky shippers out there.
I agree. As satisfying as this movie is there are even more moments they could have put in. However, for Cap and Bucky I think their moment is subtly there. I watched a youtube video and agree that I think Cap tells Bucky his plan ahead of time. And he does seem to play it that way. So their goodbye is a lot more significant that way. Plus they do have that throwback line to when Bucky left for WWII which was nice as well.

2. I also felt like Black Widow's death felt more like an afterthought as this movie felt more concerned saying goodbye to Tony and Steve. She's a founding Avenger, and at the end it was like "Oh yeah, Nat is dead too". That just didn't sit well, though to be fair it was Tony's funeral. I thought the Black Widow movie they announced was just a red herring or something, but apparently that is going to be set before Iron Man 2? That seems kinda odd to me now, but I like Scarjo in this role so I'm down for more how I can get it.
Yeah I agree. Since it happened in the middle of the movie and time travel was in play her death wasn't as impactful as it should have been. I'm still trying to process that and the fact that the "new" Gamora didn't have any of the experiences with the GotG and basically erases all of her experiences with them.

3. They already have a Captain Marvel problem if in her first crossover movie they have to keep her off the playing field for such long periods of time. My friend really was looking forward to seeing her interact with the characters we already know and love, but we didn't get much of that as Carol can't always be around. It was funny during the girl power scene during the final battle that these people are blocking for Marvel, when she is more powerful than then by orders of magnitude. But it's all good because that scene was dope!
I thought they actually handled her pretty well. Yeah I would have rather had her have more interactions with the Avengers but at the same time it was nice that they treated her as the new girl and didn't give her too much screen time and instead focused on the OG Avengers. With Feige saying she will be taking over as the leader and such I was afraid they would dedicate too much screen time on her. Also yeah she is a bit of a Deus Ex Machina so it will be interesting to see what they do with her character after this.

4. Professor Hulk stuff is cool, but I really wanted to see some rampaging Hulk during the final battle. I'm sure he got some licks in, but I felt like we didn't get that one great Hulk moment. But I could be forgetting what that was at the moment.
Agreed. And I think IW did a better job with these little character moments and making sure everyone shined for a few seconds. Like Groot didn't do anything which was disappointing. However, I think you just have to look at IW and EG as one movie so he had moments Actually now that I think of it Hulk was really robbed because he didn't even show up for IW after getting his ass handed to him in the first opening scene.

Small gripes.

This movie rocked! I was telling someone after that I don't know if I will ever see a movie like this again in my lifetime. They may build to another Endgame type movie in the future, but this will always be the first, and they did it so well. My friend leaned over to me during the final battle and was like "This is so fucking ridiculous. I love it!" and that is exactly how I felt. In the past I, and others, have said the Avengers movies felt like the big summer event comics with the individual movies for the characters being the single issues -- but we were wrong. Endgame was the big summer event they've been building up to all this time, and it dwarfs the other Avengers movies (that were big in their own ways) like the sun dwarfs the earth. I was just grinning like a fucking idiot during the final battle while it was still small scale. My favorite pump-my-fist moment in all of these movies remains Hulk's "I'm always angry" scene, but Cap wielding Thor's hammer is RIGHT there. That was so bad ass! And when the cavalry showed up, and shit just went bonkers? I mean, I just was in heaven. We had a raucous crowd that made me enjoy the movie that much more. This group of guys were LOSING THEIR GODDAMN MINDS during the end fight, and it was such a treat have that kind of response to something that was so admittedly awesome.

Going forward it will be interesting to see how the team shakes out, and what kind of chemistry they will have together. Marvel was really good/got really lucky with this group as they really did feel perfectly balanced in terms of the actors, character dynamics, powers (for the most part), etc. It will be interesting to see how a movie that centers on say T'Challa and Dr. Strange for example will feel in comparison. They still have giant characters on the board, but they lost a lot of star power due to the events of this movie (but gained some of Paltrow sticks around as Potts -- I hope she does), and I will be curious to see which actors and characters step up to fill the void.
Yeah I agree. I don't think I'm overstating this to say that this is cinema history. There will never be a movie like this ever again. To see 10 years and 22 movies wrapped up so well and paid off so well, especially emotionally, is something we will never see again. Yeah eventually they'll bring the fantastic 4 in the fold as well as new versions of the X-Men but it will never reach the level of greatness that this franchise achieved. To keep the same level of quality throughout all the movies (seriously at least the "bad" ones aren't really that bad and still fit within the overall narrative). There will just never be anything like it again. It's like I almost wish they wouldn't make any more MCU movies because this was just such a beautiful ending.
Old 04-26-19, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
I didn’t read the whole thread so I’m not sure if it was mentioned already but the scene with Cap A and Thor’s hammer was probably a nod to Ultron when Thor was seeing who could pick it up and Cap A was the only one that moved it even a little bit. He even caused Thor to make an “oh shit” face.
Yep it sure was. That's what's amazing about this movie. A little nod years ago in a different movie turns into an amazing wow moment now.

Originally Posted by Nesbit
I love the scene with Tony and Nebula playing finger football. When she won she acted shocked and it took me back to when she said Thanos used to pit her and Gamora against each other and that she never won. I wonder if Nebula ever won at anything before that.
I never thought of that. That's a great point and another example of such a small character developing moment that makes this movie so great. And then later, while he's dying, she picks him up and places him in a more respectable position so he can die sitting upright at his post.

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
One mild disappointment for me was Stan Lee’s cameo. It was terrible (Stan was never a hippie!) and almost looked like he was CGI. The one in Spider-Verse felt like a much more fitting farewell. Wonder if they did one for Far From Home or that was it. Excelsior.
In the credits there is someone that is credited as a Stan Lee stand in. So unfortunately I don't think they filmed his cameo for this movie. So it was a creative way for him to still have a cameo even if it's execution was pretty terrible.
Old 04-26-19, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by csant
I liked Captain Marvel in her own movie on here she just felt out of place and weird. I mean, I guess I'm cool with the explanation they gave for her being missing and all. But her appearance at the end was blah. I kinda felt like she should've had a longer fight with Thanos.
I think her excuse worked much better than I thought. It fits within the universe and when she explains that other worlds don't have the Avenges I thought that made sense.
Old 04-26-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So on the Blu-Ray release are we going to eventually get 14,000,604 director's cuts of the film?
Old 04-26-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dex14
Yea, that was pretty shitty. A rat hits the switch? That's how he comes back. I mean... wow. A little more thought could've been put into that and a little less deus ex machina.
I don't know I think I'm fine with it. For one it's not like its something that happens just in the nick of time. It takes 5 years for it to happen. Also it would either be unbelievable for one of the other Avengers to know about their experiment or it would take a lot of screen time to explain it. I guess they could have had someone obtaining the van and putting a new battery in it or something like that but I'm okay with the rat.
Old 04-26-19, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
He's in Spider-Man in 2 months.
You're right. I forgot about that. I still stand by what I said though. Feels weird to put a bow on the Avengers era and have Fury log less screentime than Frigga or the Ancient One. Maybe it's because I just rewatched Ultron and was reminded that he basically disappeared after that movie.

On the issue of end credits scene, I'm glad they didn't do one. One of my biggest gripes with the series is that they always seemed to be pushing the next movie, sometimes even at the expense of the current one. Glad they let this one stand alone.
Old 04-26-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I thought that but she gets a screen credit? Anyone know what the guild rules are?
I don't think there's any rule with regards to when you shoot your scene for a movie. If you appear, you appear. Not much more to it than that. I assume Carrie Fisher will be credited in ep 9.
Old 04-26-19, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shoveler
Having slept on it now, the paradox issues bother me even more, am I the only one?! It wouldn't be as bad if they hadn't been very clear about their need to preserve the single timeline by return each stone to the exact moment from which it was taken, thus preserving their own past. By the end of the movie, they had radically changed the past, effectively preventing the original snap from ever happening. This is even worse than if they had traveled into the past and created a divergent timeline, the only possible explanation is that they traveled into some divergent past. Don't get me wrong, I still loved this movie, but it is far from flawless, and someone will have to come up with a damn good explanation to satisfy me on the time problem.
Time travel movies will do that to you. My question is why were the finger snap deaths reversible but the others were not? It was like anyone killed by the gauntlet didn't die by legitimate means or something. Am I forgetting some explanation?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.