Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 04-26-19, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I made sure to see this tonight since there's just too much spoiler risk. This thing was just massive. It's like watching three TV episodes back-to-back-to-back. Almost overkill, but just right for capping 11 years and 22 movies. I know some will think it started slow but I liked it stayed bleak and slow for a while - helps the inevitable hope stuff have more impact. I'm glad Cap wasn't one of the Avengers to sacrifice themselves - that would have been too on the nose.

Cap picking up the hammer was a highlight. Fat Thor got to be a bit much. Girl power scene was fine but did take me out of it a bit. Sucks that's the case, but maybe some day a scene like that won't be necessary. I also noticed Loki might have a way back now too.

I'll be seeing this with the family Sunday - just glad to have the first showing out of the way so I can relax and take in more on the second viewing.
Old 04-26-19, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

So what did Sam Jackson do to piss off Feige and the Russos? I know these things have more to do with schedules and contracts and what have you than we'd like to believe, but Fury only getting a post credits tag and a silent cameo over the course of 5+ hours is kind of a bummer. I say that as someone who doesn't even really love the character. Just feels like his story was left completely hanging after Ultron. I guess there could be future plans for the character, but I'm assuming not.

As for the rest of the movie, I thought it was inferior to Infinity War which did a much better job of carrying its weight. Endgame has a lot of great scenes and moments but tonally and narratively it's all over the place. It felt like each of the 3 hours were their own separate movie. Once again Thor was the highlight for me, but the character's progressive descent into stupidity was oftentimes out of place given everything else going on.

Oh and f Captain Marvel. I wasn't a big fan of that movie or character and Endgame did nothing to really change that. She felt shoe horned in and (like her solo movie) she was basically invincible. I know they tried to write in an excuse for her not to just win the movie in the first 5 minutes, but it felt really forced. I would rather they had saved her introduction to the MCU for the next phase.
Old 04-26-19, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing SLJ had most of his availability given to Captain Marvel - didn't that film concurrently with Infinity War and Endgame?

ETA: Wouldn't he also have been busy with Glass?

Last edited by bunkaroo; 04-26-19 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-26-19, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

I loved every second of it. I may have gotten too excited seeing Jarvis from the Agent Carter TV show, though. I guess I just didn't expect it. But the movie blew me away.
Old 04-26-19, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Completely blown away as well. I've never done so much clapping for a movie in my life. How the hell can this be topped? I'm guessing once the Fox teams are settled.
Old 04-26-19, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts

So....the most important hero in the whole movie for which the return of those dusted would NEVER have happened.

.....is a rat?

Is his name Mickey?
Old 04-26-19, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I'm assuming GOTG3 will somehow get Quill and Gamora back together. Also, nothing in this movie really tells us whether or not Far From Home will happen before or after this.
Old 04-26-19, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Absolutely loved it; the only thing though that doesn’t set well is the more I think about Captains ending, the more I’m confused. He loves his life with Peggy but has to sit by while Hydra takes over SHIELD as well as knowing Bucky is being tortured and used as an assassin?
Old 04-26-19, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It's not a biggie, but did the final credits (Involving the imagery of the characters) look distorted on purpose? It was like the credits were shot in Imax, but the ratio didn't get reduced in time for smaller screens. Just an odd nitpick.

..Lebowski..
Old 04-26-19, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
It's not a biggie, but did the final credits (Involving the imagery of the characters) look distorted on purpose? It was like the credits were shot in Imax, but the ratio didn't get reduced in time for smaller screens. Just an odd nitpick.

..Lebowski..
I do believe that was an intentional effect. It was like an out of focus look.
Old 04-26-19, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Once again Thor was the highlight for me, but the character's progressive descent into stupidity was oftentimes out of place given everything else going on.
The Big Thorbowski
Old 04-26-19, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I do believe that was an intentional effect. It was like an out of focus look.
Go figure. One of (Already) the biggest moneymakers of all time has bootleg quality at the end.

Edit-Forgot to mention that, for one brief second, I thought Wasp was Lady Sif. That would have been sweet.
Old 04-26-19, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Absolutely LOVED this movie. Totally agree with others who said this is a true event movie. Not since the Return of the King has there been a movie of this magnitude. I am absolutely amazed at the Russo Bros. and how they were able to keep the heart and soul alive with so many different movies and character arcs. Amazing. There just will never be another movie of this magnitude. Culminating 11 years of 22 movies is just an unbelievable task but they did it. THIS is how you subvert audience expectations. Like turning the Mad Titan Thanos into a sympathetic character in IW, they really surprised audiences by doubling down on taking a third of the run time in order to show how the Avengers dealt with life after the snap and showing those quiet moments and how they each individually dealt with loss and grief.

Few quick thoughts:
  • Showing Tony with a family and daughter was really touching
    • Making his sacrifice at the end that much more touching. I'm still in shock they actually did it. It really tore me up when Pepper said that they would be okay. Being a father I know that this exactly what I would want to hear
  • Actually devoting a lot of time to Mother/Daddy issues. This was totally unexpected and touching. Thor has had so much loss and even though he's become a much more funny character recently, showing his vulnerabilities and losses and being able to deal with it by having a conversation with his mother was very touching. Also Tony being able to solve his daddy issues by bonding with his father over becoming a father was also really unexpected and touching. And that whole scene with Scott Lang and finding Cassie was really well done as well. That really made me tear up.
  • He is worthy!!! OMG top moment in the MCU that was so epic the whole theater went wild with Cap wielding Mjolnir.
  • Smart Hulk was weird, pretty jarring really, but necessary. Never really got used to him though.
  • Seeing Black Widow bite it was really surprising. I had a bad feeling as soon as they headed to Vormir.
  • That was the perfect way to end it with Cap. He finally got to live the life he's been wanting for so long.
  • The end battle was epic. It was amazingly epic. However, it wasn't as well choreographed as in IW or even other team up movies. As long as it was, I would have liked to have seen other characters doing more. Groot didn't do anything in this movie. There weren't as many memorable team ups or moments as before.
    • I did love the girl power scene and don't see any problem with it whatsover. How in the world could this "take you out of the movie"? IMHO you've got some issues if you have a problem with that scene just because it was a bunch of women teaming up.
    • I loved Mantis's expression, unfortunately they didn't give her anything to do in this movie (I thought the way they used her in IW was brilliant) but just like her blink and you'll miss it mean face from IW her charge with the other women and that quick look that she gave that she has no idea what she's doing there surrounded by these other powerful women and how she can contribute at all but she's still out there running towards danger. That was hilarious.
  • Peter Parker's role reversal was heart wrenching. I wonder if they'll deal with it in the new Spider-Man movie.
  • Seeing how the scepter got in Hydra's hands and Caps "hail hydra" was a great nod.
  • The amount of people they had to come back for this movie was astounding. Robert Redford? Rene Russo? Tilda Swinton? Marisa Tomei? Michael Douglas? Michelle Pfeiffer? It's so cool to me that we are at a point with comic book movies that they are being taken seriously and (most) actors no longer turn their noses down on them. It's nice to see them being able to bring these actors/characters back for the sake of the story. Or even just to stand there to enrich the movie by just being in it.
  • The biggest surprise in the entire movie
    Spoiler:
    They got Natalie Portman to come back?!!
Old 04-26-19, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Absolutely loved it; the only thing though that doesn’t set well is the more I think about Captains ending, the more I’m confused. He loves his life with Peggy but has to sit by while Hydra takes over SHIELD as well as knowing Bucky is being tortured and used as an assassin?
Dammit! That's a good point

Old 04-26-19, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
I did love the girl power scene and don't see any problem with it whatsover. How in the world could this "take you out of the movie"? IMHO you've got some issues if you have a problem with that scene just because it was a bunch of women teaming up.
I didn’t have a problem with the scene as much as the execution. It was a bit too self-aware. There are ways to frame things and use music to help bring attention to things and that’s how it came off to me. It was almost like the characters knew it would be cool to have all the girls together if that makes sense.
Old 04-26-19, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn’t have a problem with the scene as much as the execution. It was a bit too self-aware. There are ways to frame things and use music to help bring attention to things and that’s how it came off to me. It was almost like the characters knew it would be cool to have all the girls together if that makes sense.
No not really getting it. I know you're not being malicious but I don't know how you can say a statement like that and not be seen as a jerk. I see it as perfectly natural for them to come to each other's aid and team up. Hell, women do that in real life why wouldn't they do it in an Epic superhero fight scene?
Old 04-26-19, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No not really getting it. I know you're not being malicious but I don't know how you can say a statement like that and not be seen as a jerk. I see it as perfectly natural for them to come to each other's aid and team up. Hell, women do that in real life why wouldn't they do it in an Epic superhero fight scene?
There’s nothing unnatural at all about that happening. It’s more about the “wink-wink” we get from the directors using very deliberate cinematic language to make sure we notice.

I don’t even like talking about it this much because it’s not a big deal at all and it would suck if this scene becomes some kind of divisive topic. I just wish the filmmakers would have been just a little more subtle about it.
Old 04-26-19, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was this spoiled for anyone else? I feel sorry for the people that really care and can't watch it right away. I avoided all spoilers as much as I could. I didn't even watch any of the trailers, avoided any theories, created a separate thread for rewatching the MCU movies. And it was STILL spoiled for me. Some asshat in a youtube comment, all caps, under a video that had nothing to do with the MCU. I stopped reading it at "Black Widow and Iron Man dies" but he went on to spoil the whole movie. It was far enough advanced of the release that I didn't take much stock in it but once they reached Vormir and indeed Black Widow did die I knew it was right and Iron Man would die. Also someone in a Disney facebook group containing 278k members just spoiled it as well. People are just assholes.

I think Disney did a piss poor job in keeping a lid on this movie. Why in the world would they release it in China first?! And lift the review embargo early. Seems like they did a better job with the first IW.

Last edited by tanman; 04-26-19 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-26-19, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There’s nothing unnatural at all about that happening. It’s more about the “wink-wink” we get from the directors using very deliberate cinematic language to make sure we notice.

I don’t even like talking about it this much because it’s not a big deal at all and it would suck if this scene becomes some kind of divisive topic. I just wish the filmmakers would have been just a little more subtle about it.
Okay cool. So it's more of a personal thing. Curious, did you have any issue with the girl power scene in IW?
Old 04-26-19, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 217 Likes on 164 Posts

Okay cool. So it's more of a personal thing. Curious, did you have any issue with the girl power scene in IW?
I didn’t at all but did have a “Problem” with the girl power scene in this one. Uncomfortable using the word problem in quotes because it’s not a huge deal. It’s just what are the chances of 10 or so women and just women being at that part of the battle field at one point. It felt like there was a stage hand who called for all the ladies to get into position. Nothing unusual about 3 women ending up together like they did in IW. It didn’t take me out of it and movies have coincidental movie moments like that but it was a bit cheesy.
Old 04-26-19, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are people really that mad that there isn't a end credit's scene? I know it's somewhat of a tradition but what would they throw in there? Teasing the next Spider-Man movie with mysterio putting on a helmet? Morgan Stark eating a cheesburger? The last 20 mins of the movie is like one big end credits scene. Plus anything they throw in there wouldn't fit at all and would distract from the end of the movie. People are that petty to feel like they were "tricked" into watching the credits?

I guess I'm the only "sucker" that likes to stay until the last of the credits roll.
Old 04-26-19, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit

It’s just what are the chances of 10 or so women and just women being at that part of the battle field at one point.
This is a movie about a giant purple guy with magic rocks and a raccoon using time travel to bop around the cosmos.
Old 04-26-19, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 946 Likes on 669 Posts

They got Natalie Portman to come back?!!
That looked an awful lot like repurposed Dark World footage to me. The fact that she doesn't say anything and they sort of awkwardly edit around her makes it pretty obvious to me she wasn't actually on set.
Old 04-26-19, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Really, really, really enjoyed it. Glad I went on opening night so I can read everybody's nitpicks and theories now. The only letdown in the movie for me was the lack of Captain Marvel in the film. She's an almost invincible character who was given a lame-ass reason for not being in most of the movie.
Old 04-26-19, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My most minor of gripes.

1. I know the movie was already long, but it just felt odd for Cap and Bucky not to have a moment together at the end. Those two characters feel so tied together to me, and for them not to say a goodbye of sorts (Steve isn't dead, but this is the end for him) just seemed weird. Or maybe that is just me feeling for all of the Cap/Bucky shippers out there.

2. I also felt like Black Widow's death felt more like an afterthought as this movie felt more concerned saying goodbye to Tony and Steve. She's a founding Avenger, and at the end it was like "Oh yeah, Nat is dead too". That just didn't sit well, though to be fair it was Tony's funeral. I thought the Black Widow movie they announced was just a red herring or something, but apparently that is going to be set before Iron Man 2? That seems kinda odd to me now, but I like Scarjo in this role so I'm down for more how I can get it.

3. They already have a Captain Marvel problem if in her first crossover movie they have to keep her off the playing field for such long periods of time. My friend really was looking forward to seeing her interact with the characters we already know and love, but we didn't get much of that as Carol can't always be around. It was funny during the girl power scene during the final battle that these people are blocking for Marvel, when she is more powerful than then by orders of magnitude. But it's all good because that scene was dope!

4. Professor Hulk stuff is cool, but I really wanted to see some rampaging Hulk during the final battle. I'm sure he got some licks in, but I felt like we didn't get that one great Hulk moment. But I could be forgetting what that was at the moment.

Small gripes.

This movie rocked! I was telling someone after that I don't know if I will ever see a movie like this again in my lifetime. They may build to another Endgame type movie in the future, but this will always be the first, and they did it so well. My friend leaned over to me during the final battle and was like "This is so fucking ridiculous. I love it!" and that is exactly how I felt. In the past I, and others, have said the Avengers movies felt like the big summer event comics with the individual movies for the characters being the single issues -- but we were wrong. Endgame was the big summer event they've been building up to all this time, and it dwarfs the other Avengers movies (that were big in their own ways) like the sun dwarfs the earth. I was just grinning like a fucking idiot during the final battle while it was still small scale. My favorite pump-my-fist moment in all of these movies remains Hulk's "I'm always angry" scene, but Cap wielding Thor's hammer is RIGHT there. That was so bad ass! And when the cavalry showed up, and shit just went bonkers? I mean, I just was in heaven. We had a raucous crowd that made me enjoy the movie that much more. This group of guys were LOSING THEIR GODDAMN MINDS during the end fight, and it was such a treat have that kind of response to something that was so admittedly awesome.

Going forward it will be interesting to see how the team shakes out, and what kind of chemistry they will have together. Marvel was really good/got really lucky with this group as they really did feel perfectly balanced in terms of the actors, character dynamics, powers (for the most part), etc. It will be interesting to see how a movie that centers on say T'Challa and Dr. Strange for example will feel in comparison. They still have giant characters on the board, but they lost a lot of star power due to the events of this movie (but gained some of Paltrow sticks around as Potts -- I hope she does), and I will be curious to see which actors and characters step up to fill the void.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.