Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-19, 07:03 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by The Cow
I recognized everyone in the funeral scene, except one young boy (maybe young teenager) with dark hair. And he was by himself, not in a little group like most others.

Anyone know who that was? My wife noticed him too, and commented that he looked like a young Tony.
The kid from Iron Man 3.
Old 04-26-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I liked the longer hair more.
I prefer the helmet head. Since it make more sense in context. Everyone else used a damn helmet.
Old 04-26-19, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
She’s hot either way. But I think I have a thing for shorter hair. Lol.

That was a cool way to acknowledge one of her comic book styles. I wonder if Larson really cut her hair or if that was a CG effect? She's had long hair in all of the press junkets.
Old 04-26-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don’t let all this talk about Cap A’s heroics and the sadness of Iron Man dying distract you from the fact that Brie Larson looked amazing with short hair.
Different strokes for different folks. With that hairdo I thought she was going to defeat Thanos by complaining to a manager.
Old 04-26-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman

Oh my that’s hilarious. How important is that guy or how small of a town do you live in?
He got there at 1pm for a 6pm show, so I'm sure he was spotted.
Old 04-26-19, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really enjoyed this, but man, I was spent emotionally by the time it was over. When Pepper told Tony it was ok and he could rest someone started cutting up onions next to me. My mark out moment was definitely Cap wielding Mjolnir against Thanos.

As others have said, while I’d didn’t have a problem with the girl power moment, it definitely took me out of the movie for a moment. It just felt forced, as opposed to IW.

Loved how Thanos thought he was fucked during his fight with SW, and he ordered the ship to start firing on everyone just to get away. CM is the one MCU movie I haven’t seen other than Dark World, but their explanation for her being absent up until Endgame made sense.

Only thing I can say that left me disappointed was Hulk not getting in a few good beat downs on Thanos after what happened in IW. Other than that I thought it was a damn near perfect job of wrapping up 20 plus movies.

Also.....Hail Hydra.
Old 04-26-19, 08:30 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D

Loved how Thanos thought he was fucked during his fight with SW, and he ordered the ship to start firing on everyone just to get away. CM is the one MCU movie I haven’t seen other than Dark World, but their explanation for her being absent up until Endgame made sense.
Yes and no. No, because that's what the Nova Corps is around for in the galaxy, to police it. Yes, because after 2014, the Nova Corps got decimated. Still, for a person who traveled the galaxy and was part of the Kree, I'm surprised that Carol didn't know/hadn't fought Thanos before. Someone with that much power would be known throughout the galaxy.

By the way, I feel the Nova Corps are one of the most underutilized aspects of the MCU. I was expecting Richard Ryder to have shown up by this point.
Old 04-26-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We don't really know what happened to the Red Skull after either of the trips to Vormire, but if he's still hanging around there, that must've been one hell of a reunion when Cap of all people shows up to return the Soul Stone.
Old 04-26-19, 10:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Amazing! Perfect ending to a perfect series. I had no idea what to expect and was surprised many times over. This was an epic ending. Dare I say better than LotR: RotK which, yes, is epic and extended even more so, but something about all the endings bothered me. I was flabbergasted after this. Speechless. That was a movie in all its film glory. Incredible story telling and movie making. Pure character driven. Hardly any action and it was made fantastic that you didn’t even miss it. Characters you’ve come to know and love in this glorious series of movies. Just so much and 3 hours flew. Didn’t check time once. Just perfect. The 3D absolutely sucked though. Maybe some depth, but had no idea I was watching in 3D, but no way detracted from this phenom that will be all time domestic BO.

Last edited by OldBoy; 04-27-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-26-19, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimaton
We don't really know what happened to the Red Skull after either of the trips to Vormire, but if he's still hanging around there, that must've been one hell of a reunion when Cap of all people shows up to return the Soul Stone.
No we don't, and that brings up a lot of questions. When Clint returns with the soul stone he mentions to Cap and the group about the "red faced guy", and that brief description could not have been an accident. How would Steve go to the past and even get to Boromir without a ship? He doesn't even know how to fly one.

If you really want a headache, think about what Steve did in the past with Peggy, and then think about Sharon Carter....

This is what the IW writers said about Sharon not being in Infinity War.

Sharon Carter was a victim of what we came to realize as we were writing it, which is that if you're writing scenes that set up people before the story has gotten to them, such as Steve and Sharon trying to make it work in an apartment, they're gonna go because the movie does not have time to catch up 'previously on the life of Steve Rogers.'
When you look back now it really looks like Sharon being in the movies would interrupt the plan of Steven going back to be with Peggy.
Old 04-26-19, 10:11 PM

Was that cameo of Stan Lee really him or CGI?
Old 04-26-19, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
No we don't, and that brings up a lot of questions. When Clint returns with the soul stone he mentions to Cap and the group about the "red faced guy", and that brief description could not have been an accident. How would Steve go to the past and even get to Boromir without a ship? He doesn't even know how to fly one.

If you really want a headache, think about what Steve did in the past with Peggy, and then think about Sharon Carter....

This is what the IW writers said about Sharon not being in Infinity War.

When you look back now it really looks like Sharon being in the movies would interrupt the plan of Steven going back to be with Peggy.
It seems like this whole series arc was or had lead to Steve Rogers/Captain America. It was a perfect end to what I’ve come to like more as a character and Evan’s portrayal. Will be sad to see him go and can’t imagine a Sam/Falcon/CA series as it just wouldn’t be same.
Old 04-26-19, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Was that cameo of Stan Lee really him or CGI?
That was the last one he shot for Marvel.
Old 04-26-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Didn’t you guys ever read a comic book? Stan ain’t dead...
Old 04-26-19, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

Disney doesn’t do Director’s Cuts, but one thing I’m really looking forward to is a retrospective documentary on this franchise . It may be too early right now, but given the achievements of these films, it has to come out sooner or later. Fingers-crossed that all the dirt involving the likes of Ed Norton and Edgar Wright will make it in there. As well as plans/ideas that were considered but were never finalized. And Disney is capable revealing behind-the-scenes drama. All you have to do is watch Waking Sleeping Beauty.
“Nothing would go over my head. I would catch it.”
Old 04-26-19, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Caught it this morning . Sold out at 11:30 AM and seemed to be sold out for the rest of the day unless one wanted to sit on the front row. I have to say, I felt that as far as superhero action goes, Infinity War was the better movie. However, as far as overall story and finding a way to work in a lot of MCU characters in a satisfying manner goes, this one was definitely better. There's truly only one real major action sequence and it's at the very end, and it's well worth the wait. I also think it's crap that these actors can't get at least a nomination out of these movies. Downey, Johannsen, and Renner all gave performances worth a nod IMO.

I have to give the Russo Brothers credit for knowing how to subvert expectations in a positive way, unlike Rian Johnson with another franchise. I always envisioned a large scene with all of the superheros introduced in this universe happening before the movie ended, and indeed it did. My expectations were that it would be a sweeping shot of them all kicking ass. However, that wasn't the approach that was taken, and the one they did was a much better approach that served the story and was actually more moving emotionally than a "geek out" moment would have probably proven.

I could get into more, but here is something that occurred to me after the fact:
-The three Avengers that are truly dead at the end are the first three we were technically introduced to in the MCU: Stark, Romanoff, and Jarvis/Vision. I feel it makes sense in a way, and I loved the call back to cheeseburgers from the first movie (I mean Iron Man, I kind of see all of these as sequels to one another).

Finally, for the first time in a while , I am not psyched to see the next installment. I'm not saying that the new Spider-Man movie doesn't look like fun, but I feel this cinematic universe has reached its logical conclusion and anything more would be anti-climactic. That kind of attests to the movie's quality IMO.
I agree with all of this. Love how they emotionally pay off so much from the previous 21 films. Even a cheesy product placement for Burger King from the first film is turned into a heart wrenching genuine moment. And I love that they brought Happy back for it. That’s why I keep telling people to watch the other films before. Like you said it’s not about the geeky references or Easter eggs it’s about the emotional payoff that they dedicated a lot of screen time for in such a huge movie. Never in a million years would I have expected Rene Russo to come back as Thor’s Mom and to provide such an emotionally fulfilling character growth development for Thor.

Totally agree with you in the RJ statement. Not trying to start something but this is how you subvert audience expectation.

Also agree with the rest of the MCU. Of course they’ll still make more movies and I’m sure they’ll be great but there’s just no way they’ll have the gravitas that these past 22 movies have had. It wraps it up so nicely that it feels like closure.
Old 04-27-19, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 244 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Someone with that much power would be known throughout the galaxy.
That's one thing in Infinity War that makes me scratch my head. How does Dr Strange not know who Thanos is?
Old 04-27-19, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nesbit
That's one thing in Infinity War that makes me scratch my head. How does Dr Strange not know who Thanos is?
Maybe he’s more concerned with domestic mythical threats? It doesn’t seem like there are many terrans who are aware of him.

But im not sure about why Nat and Clint don’t know who Red Skull is. Seems like he would be an important historical figure especially for shield agents. But then again maybe Hydra specifically hid his existence and erased him from the history books.
Old 04-27-19, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's been awhile since I've seen Captain America: First Avenger, but didn't the Red Skull cover his disfigurement with a mask of his old face through most/all of his public appearances? There probably wasn't a lot of photographic evidence of what the Red Skull truly looked like, and even if there was, I'm not sure it would occur to either Nat or Clint in that moment that, 80 years after his supposed death, the all-knowing wraith that appeared before them on an alien planet on the other side of the galaxy was anybody they would've known of.

Last edited by ultimaton; 04-27-19 at 01:43 AM.
Old 04-27-19, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I'm well aware. But in response to the list from that poster... neither does a hypothetical Ant-Man 3 or Captain Marvel 2. A third Spider-Man is all but guaranteed, more-so than AM3 or CM2.
I read somewhere that the deal with Sony let them use Spider-Man in five movies. Civil,War, Homecoming, Infinity War, Endgame, and Far From Home fulfill that contract.

If that’s true, then, after the success of Venom, Sony might decide to keep Spider-Man in their own stable instead of farming him out to Marvel Studios again.
Old 04-27-19, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

The film is sensory overload, that said, it was fun. I liked the tip of the hat to Back to the Future part II and Star Trek VI.
Old 04-27-19, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Loved how this wrapped up the whole MCU arc, and loved the callbacks to previous movies like the elevator scene. I’ve been rewatching a few as prep but didn’t realize they’d be lifting scenes right out of them. Though Thor 2 and IM3 are two of my least favorite and two of the only (with Hulk) that I don’t own, so I also didn’t recognize the kid at the funeral so thanks for the tips on that. I almost bought both on sale last week and might’ve watched IM if I had.

The quick Thanos death threw me, and I had no idea where they were going to go next. The peacetime scenes made the movie long, but they were well done so I liked them (didn’t recognize Starlin ). (We used the bathroom when we arrived at the theater and also when the trailers started, and I made it through but my kid didn’t.)

The returning heroes coming out of the portals was pretty obvious, but I loved it anyway. So was that only half of the Wakanda army, with the survivors still back at home?

Wondering if Brie Larson’s relatively small role was partly due to logistics if she were shooting her own movie at the same time, but maybe it was just because she was too deus ex machina, as someone mentioned. Wife didn’t recognize her when she returned at the end even though we saw that movie in March.

Grrrl power scene was a little fan-service-y, but I still liked it.

I find time-travel concepts fun when they go back to something known and play with it, but I admit I rolled my eyes a bit when they came up with the plan.

I’m confident that we’re not going to again see a huge franchise like this with so many movies tangentially or highly related and, for the most part, with such a high standard of quality, and wrapped up in a satisfying resolution.
Old 04-27-19, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Does anyone else think Black Widow might have been a Skrull?

She might have been replaced by a Skrull at some point, and they’re using her apparent death to set up Secret Invasion. So, at some point in the near future, she’ll turn up alive and kick off the next big MCU event where key characters have been replaced by Skrull shape-shifters.

Might be something that happens in that upcoming Black Widow film, where we see how she got replaced. Maybe in a credit scene, if not in the actual film.
Old 04-27-19, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the beginning when Hawkeye sees his family snapped, I was halfway expecting to see airplanes fall out of the sky because pilots had vanished or whatnot. And if they kept all the past five years, what if families had moved on after thinking their loved ones were gone? What would they do with all the vanished memorials?
Actually, while there is a lot of good that comes from everyone (and everything) coming back, because of the five year jump there will be a lot of miserable shit too. This isn't all sunshine and rainbows when you think about the implications of these events for more than a few seconds. People will surely have established new lives only to have their husbands or wives come back. What of all the people that, like you said, lost people due to the snap that died because of someone vanishing from the snap? The people in the plane that died in a crash because the pilot vanished, the people who died in car accidents? They don't get to come back. I could actually see this creating a lot of resentment for people. But this movie wasn't about that, and I am already satisfied as I feel like all of these types of questions were already answered in the BRILLIANT The Leftovers series from HBO.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I read somewhere that the deal with Sony let them use Spider-Man in five movies. Civil,War, Homecoming, Infinity War, Endgame, and Far From Home fulfill that contract.

If that’s true, then, after the success of Venom, Sony might decide to keep Spider-Man in their own stable instead of farming him out to Marvel Studios again.

I know Marvel would love to have the rights to him, but if Far from Home is it (if that is a movie that sorta stands on its own), then I wouldn't miss Spidey going forward. Granted, I haven't seen Far From Home yet, but his MCU story seems like it could be closed out with a neat little bow on it (since his was so tied to Stark), which I'm sure they had in mind in case they couldn't work out something with Sony. Honestly, I think Spidey works better as a more stand-alone hero anyway.

Spidey's loss, if they do lose him, will surely be masked with what I think the focus of the next volume of these movies should be and that's the Fantastic Four. If Marvel can work their magic again and get the FF right? They're golden.

Which doesn't even take into account the X-men, whom I'm much less excited to see folded into the MCU, because again I think they work really well being their own thing (even if the actual qualities of the X-movies that exists aren't up to MCU standards of quality). While lots of people have tried and failed, I think the mutants in the right hands could easily support their own MCU -- Mutant Cinematic Universe. Hell, they already kinda did at Fox to a much lesser degree.

Originally Posted by ultimaton
It's been awhile since I've seen Captain America: First Avenger, but didn't the Red Skull cover his disfigurement with a mask of his old face through most/all of his public appearances? There probably wasn't a lot of photographic evidence of what the Red Skull truly looked like, and even if there was, I'm not sure it would occur to either Nat or Clint in that moment that, 80 years after his supposed death, the all-knowing wraith that appeared before them on an alien planet on the other side of the galaxy was anybody they would've known of.
I would like to have seen what happened when Cap took the soul stone back to Virmir and he saw him though. Assuming he did. Though, they only really fought once in the MCU, but I can't help but bring my dork knowledge to the table and think of Red Skull and Cap the way I do Batman and the Joker.

Last edited by boredsilly; 04-27-19 at 04:07 AM.
Old 04-27-19, 05:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

My only gripe is that Cap’s actions likely erased Sharon Carter from existence.
Other than that, perfect movie, although I’m a little confused about the timeline. Is it still 5 years later with the world remembering 50% of people disappearing? It would have made more sense to reset all that, but that would have erased Stark’s daughter.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.