Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
In the beginning when Hawkeye sees his family snapped, I was halfway expecting to see airplanes fall out of the sky because pilots had vanished or whatnot. And if they kept all the past five years, what if families had moved on after thinking their loved ones were gone? What would they do with all the vanished memorials?
The time travel problems are major issue number one, but that^ is number two for me.

Half of the world — half of ALL LIVING ORGANISMS — have been gone for five years. You just brought them all back in an instant. If Thanos’s point about not having enough resources wasn’t valid before, it sure as hell is now.

I apologize to the lovers and I am not trying to dissuade you, but after the meticulous care put into this universe ... the Russos almost turned in a hot mess.
Old 04-27-19, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by ultimaton
We don't really know what happened to the Red Skull after either of the trips to Vormire, but if he's still hanging around there, that must've been one hell of a reunion when Cap of all people shows up to return the Soul Stone.
Hell, I didn’t even think of that angle. That’s awesome.

I’m stuck on: shouldn’t returning the Soul Stone have brought back Black Widow?
Old 04-27-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Oh yeah so Thanos goes through the effort to go to Nidavellir so Eitri can forge a gauntlet that’s strong enough to harness the power of the stones, but Tony and company just whip one up out of Iron Man parts.
Nanotech ... it’s the answer to everything.
Old 04-27-19, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman

Maybe he’s more concerned with domestic mythical threats? It doesn’t seem like there are many terrans who are aware of him.

But im not sure about why Nat and Clint don’t know who Red Skull is. Seems like he would be an important historical figure especially for shield agents. But then again maybe Hydra specifically hid his existence and erased him from the history books.

Even if they knew him in historical context, why would they associate that with a floating spirit-demon-guide on an alien planet which they time-traveled to?
Old 04-27-19, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like I may be the only one with this gripe (then I’ll finally talk positive) ... Pepper Potts as a superhero. Ugggghhh. Why was that shoehorned in? I know it happens in the comics and was a nod, but it was way out of place here.

Ok, positive ... I am not a Mark Ruffalo Hulk fan, and I thought the “smart Hulk” thing was going to suck ... but, for the most part I dug it. Him “smashing” at the Battle of New York was hysterical. I also really enjoyed his scene with The Ancient One.

I honestly thought Hawkeye was going to be able to get the Soul Stone without either one sacrificing him/herself. He had already lost his family, the thing he loved most.

Big Thorbowski ... FINALLY! A superhero that looks like me! (OK, I stole that. A guy shouted it out in my screening.)

Did anybody else think “Aquaman” with New Asgard?

The beginning was brilliant and one of the biggest gut punches in the MCU.

Will see it again in theaters and will buy it in home video, but, unlike almost all of the rest of the MCU, I do not see myself revisiting it very often. 2.5 out of 5 is a bit harsh, but 3 out of 5 seems too generous.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 04-27-19 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-27-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Looks like I may be the only one with this gripe (then I’ll finally talk positive) ... Pepper Potts as a superhero. Ugggghhh. Why was that shoehorned in? I know it happens in the comics and was a nod, but it was way out of place here
it was stupid in IM3 (easily the worst MCU movie), it was just as stupid here
Old 04-27-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Why would it erase Sharon? She's Peggy's niece, not her daughter or granddaughter.
Ah, ok. My mistake. I had it in my head that Sharon was Peggy’s daughter or granddaughter.
It’s been a while since I rewatched a lot of these movies, so I guess I’m misremembering some of the finer points like that.
Old 04-27-19, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Falcon also becomes Cap in the comics. This happened in 2015 after Cap was aged into an old man and he appointed Sam as his replacement, pretty much the same as what happened here.

Ah. I stopped reading monthly comics right around the time Bucky became Cap, so I never got to Falcon being Cap.

Switching gears, it's hilarious how every singe one of these Marvel movies are loaded with fan service shots, but as soon as one is focused on women these guys suddenly lose their shit over it!
Old 04-27-19, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Just got back from seeing it tonight, the family and I loved it, a fitting ending to the first MCU saga. I'm still digesting this, and have read everyone's posts above (so I don't have to ask who that kid was at Tony's funeral, I now know that he was from IM3, I don't need to edit my post later ) but just wanted to make a few points for now:

-man, the Captain America/Mjolnir scene and Scarlet Witch almost kicking Thanos' ass was awesome!

-Stan Lee looked ok in his cameo, I've seen photos of him from the early 70's, and this look wasn't that far off the mark IMO

-speaking of Stan, I was under the impression that there are still several cameos of him in the can for future use. When they realized how bad he was getting, I heard that they shot a bunch of stuff that they could re-purpose into future cameos. Or is this just a rumor? I could have sworn that Kevin Smith said that, and he has a bit of an inside scoop (as much as was allowed anyway)

-The Avengers will certainly continue, even if the members are drastically different. Shit, the original comic was less than two years old when everyone left except Cap and new members were brought in (Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch) and this was back in issue number 16 from 1965, so near complete team member swapping was introduced into the concept almost from the start.

-some commented on how Captain Marvel looked a bit different compared to her own film (other than just the short hair, which was probably a wig/CGI combo anyway), don't forget that her scenes in Endgame were shot before CM, and there was very likely a different makeup team involved.

-Spider-man: Far from Home is supposed to take place literally minutes after Endgame, if I'm not mistaken

-I'm not that jazzed about The Eternals, I never read it, and the only Eternal I really know is Thanos himself, but I have to admit it will be nice going into a Marvel movie almost completely cold, without knowing any of the characters or story. On the other hand, I'm looking forward to seeing the more cosmic aspect of the MCU. I can't wait for Adam Warlock to show up (has he still been sitting there inside his cocoon since the end of GOTG 2?)

That's it for now, except that end battle was insane!
Old 04-27-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Switching gears, it's hilarious how every singe one of these Marvel movies are loaded with fan service shots, but as soon as one is focused on women these guys suddenly lose their shit over it!

Old 04-27-19, 10:01 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Don’t let all this talk about Cap A’s heroics and the sadness of Iron Man dying distract you from the fact that Brie Larson looked amazing with short hair.
Cap still has the better ass.
Old 04-27-19, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Red Hood
We have a Young Avengers team in the making with Peter Parker, Kassie Lang, Hawkeye's kids, the kid from Iron Man 3. I wonder if they'll keep Tony Stark around by becoming the next JARVIS or as they did in the comic books, keeping his brain in a computer system where he can download himself, similar to JARVIS
I’m not sure Hawkeye’s kids will play much of a role considering
Spoiler:
Kate Bishop
has been confirmed as part of a tv show for the Marvel streaming service.
Speaking of legacy characters, I had an idea a while back. It was NOT a popular opinion when I posted about it on another forum, but I might as well see what you all think. In the comics we have Riri Williams who becomes Ironheart from making a suit of Iron Man’s scraps (incidentally her suit actually has an AI version of Tony within it, much like the MCU suits have the Jarvis AI). Instead of introducing Riri to the MCU, what if Shuri takes up the Iron Man legacy instead? She certainly has the experience and tech available to make her own suit, and it would still be a black woman in that legacy role. Thoughts?
Old 04-27-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now I need a 4th Cap movie of him returning all the stones, especially his encounter with Red Skull when he returns the Soul stone.
Old 04-27-19, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Sooooo, don't think this was brought up yet but what was the deal with Thanos and little Gamora at the end of Infinity War. I mean, didn't people feel that eluded to him actually going into Soul World. As there was no real pay off to that scene I suppose we're now to assume it was just pulling internally into Thanos' thoughts?

As it, it was jarring in Infinity War but figured it would have some context in the next film but now, well, just jarring.
Old 04-27-19, 10:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

So I don’t get how cap could return all those stones. Can he just transport himself to the soul stone planet? Then pop the power stone back before Quill gets it? How does he put the aether back in Jane?
Old 04-27-19, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by jwb0323
So I don’t get how cap could return all those stones. Can he just transport himself to the soul stone planet? Then pop the power stone back before Quill gets it? How does he put the aether back in Jane?
This seems to be bugging people but it's feasible that in the amount of time he was away he could have snagged a jet...or, he did have the hammer with him and can wield it so maybe he just flew around space. The fact that it isn't shown leads, of course, to a lot of questions but I really feel this one is as simple as when Widow and Hawkeye went to the same places or Thor/Rocket went to Asgard. I mean, in that regard, the machine transported them not to the location they left in (ala Back to the Future) but to where / when they wanted to go. Cap could have just dialed in the places, popped on down, dropped the stones into place, and voila.

Of course, the Teseract is a bit of an X-Factor here as Loki took it in the one timeline so they had to go father back. Does Loki taking it in the skewered timeline now mean some things in Captain Marvel didn't happen? Does Cap return that to the 1970s or back to before Loki took it meaning there's two of them in 2000s NYC.

You know, best not think about these too deeply and keep it safely inside Goose.
Old 04-27-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you would've said to me ten years ago that we'd get an Avengers movie where Spider-Man swings from Mjolnir thrown by Cap, while holding an Iron Man gauntlet containing all 5 Infinity Stones, and then hops on a Pegasus with Valkyrie... I would've said you're out of your fucking mind!
Old 04-27-19, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Ah. I stopped reading monthly comics right around the time Bucky became Cap, so I never got to Falcon being Cap.

It wasn't the content of the shot that was the issue, but how it was handled. There was no reason storywise for those women to suddenly assemble like that. Give the girls their due, yes, but find a less obvious/clunky way to do it. My point is if you're going to do a girl power moment, do it BETTER than that.
Old 04-27-19, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks like I may be the only one with this gripe (then I’ll finally talk positive) ... Pepper Potts as a superhero. Ugggghhh. Why was that shoehorned in? I know it happens in the comics and was a nod, but it was way out of place here.
I give it a pass simply because it allowed her to be there when Tony died. It would've stunk for him to die without her present.
Old 04-27-19, 10:39 PM

Does Loki snagging the Tesseract and vanished during the Battle of New York mean that he’s actually alive again? Or does this variation in the timeline eventually still lead to him dying at the beginning of Infinity War?
This time travel stuff has left so many damn questions that will need answers in future movies.
Old 04-27-19, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

The time travel problems are major issue number one, but that^ is number two for me.

Half of the world — half of ALL LIVING ORGANISMS — have been gone for five years. You just brought them all back in an instant. If Thanos’s point about not having enough resources wasn’t valid before, it sure as hell is now.

I apologize to the lovers and I am not trying to dissuade you, but after the meticulous care put into this universe ... the Russos almost turned in a hot mess.
Once the newness of this wears off and everyone gets over Tony and Steve, more people will come around to your way of seeing things. With all the time travel paradoxes, this movie comes off like a mess.
Old 04-27-19, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, um, so who's kids are these?

Because if they're not Steve's, then he's a mini-Thanos going back in time and erasing them from existence by getting with Peggy and keeping her from whoever those kids' dad was.

If those are Steve's kids, then that means he's been there the whole time, and didn't necessarily create a new timeline by going back.
Old 04-27-19, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One paradox solved ... I’m listening to /Filmcast and they brought up Mjolnir. They suggested Captain America took it with him so he could return it back to Asgard past. Ahhhhh!
Old 04-27-19, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So ... any speculation on the banging metal sound at the end?

Just a callback/homage to IM? An alternate timeline restarting at IM?
Old 04-27-19, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

One paradox solved ... I’m listening to /Filmcast and they brought up Mjolnir. They suggested Captain America took it with him so he could return it back to Asgard past. Ahhhhh!
So ... any speculation on the banging metal sound at the end?

Just a callback/homage to IM? An alternate timeline restarting at IM?
Now you're just looking for issues. Both of these things were pretty obvious for most.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.